SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Wrigley Field Redevelopment News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146817)

MayorOfChicago Dec 6, 2016 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prelude91 (Post 7643580)
I think the building is ugly but that horse is already dead.

I'm just sick of national chains taking over lakeview. I'm all for dense development near Wrigley, but I just feel this is a huge missed opportunity. Additionally, there has been an uptick in crime along the Sourhpirt corridor over the past year (several shootings), where I live, and I just feel Lucky Strike and movie theatres bring an element of crime

Lucky Strike is quite upscale for a bowling alley, and I'm not familiar with movie theatres creating crime.

This block was ugly and pretty worn down to begin with, certainly the Addison portion was terrible.

I live 500 feet from this development, directly to the east, and my husband and I are very excited for this.

We normally don't drive anywhere and take the bus or train. To have a top notch movie theatre as well as a bowling alley and all the other retail and restaurants they're bringing in - we're extremely excited.

These are things that can be very easily assessable via the Red Line that's right there or the Addison/Clark/Broadway buses.

I think this will be great for Lakeview. I'm not blown away by the design - but honestly what was there before looked like a pretty huge dump aside from the Salt & Pepper building, I liked that one.

the urban politician Dec 6, 2016 9:34 PM

I think it's great too.

But count me in as somewhat annoyed that the developer couldn't come up with a slightly better design. Hell even the Ricketts down the street improved on what they started with.

prelude91 Dec 7, 2016 5:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago (Post 7643695)
Lucky Strike is quite upscale for a bowling alley, and I'm not familiar with movie theatres creating crime.

This block was ugly and pretty worn down to begin with, certainly the Addison portion was terrible.

I live 500 feet from this development, directly to the east, and my husband and I are very excited for this.

We normally don't drive anywhere and take the bus or train. To have a top notch movie theatre as well as a bowling alley and all the other retail and restaurants they're bringing in - we're extremely excited.

These are things that can be very easily assessable via the Red Line that's right there or the Addison/Clark/Broadway buses.

I think this will be great for Lakeview. I'm not blown away by the design - but honestly what was there before looked like a pretty huge dump aside from the Salt & Pepper building, I liked that one.

Totally agree Addison is ugly in this stretch.

I lived in streeterville for a number of years and there were numerous incidents that stemmed from lucky strike, such as several gang altercations, robberies, etc. lucky strike finally agreed to private security on and around their building after 10p on weekends.

For whatever reason the gang bangers love loitering outside the movie theatres and bowling alley

MegaBass Dec 7, 2016 8:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 7641298)
I need to know where the bullpen is? Is that near scoreboard, am I right? Can you please try to take a pictures of the bullpens. Can you please post it for me?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfypihMWIAQEEyl.jpg

Most of the bullpen work was done last offseason h/t Danny Ecker

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/33...704.1471197714

Bullpens will be where the former batting cage was. h/t Bleed Cubbie Blue

maru2501 Dec 7, 2016 5:10 PM

I will continue to go to Nisei Lounge and then walk to the game

ardecila Dec 7, 2016 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prelude91 (Post 7643580)
I'm just sick of national chains taking over lakeview.

I'm sure these developers will get their fair share of national chains, but what is it replacing? A Starbucks, a 7-11, Goose Island (which is owned by Budweiser), etc.

Plus, the Cubs hotel development across the street is composed entirely of local businesses. The hotel is a unique boutique nameplate, and all the restaurants will be locally owned.

Think about it this way: the block of semi-local businesses south of Addison is getting replaced by a mall, while the McDonalds and parking lot north of Addison are getting replaced by... a new block of semi-local businesses. It doesn't seem like the chains are "taking over".

prelude91 Dec 7, 2016 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7644720)
I'm sure these developers will get their fair share of national chains, but what is it replacing? A Starbucks, a 7-11, Goose Island (which is owned by Budweiser), etc.

Plus, the Cubs hotel development across the street is composed entirely of local businesses. The hotel is a unique boutique nameplate, and all the restaurants will be locally owned.

Think about it this way: the block of semi-local businesses south of Addison is getting replaced by a mall, while the McDonalds and parking lot north of Addison are getting replaced by... a new block of semi-local businesses. It doesn't seem like the chains are "taking over".

I understand your point, but my comment was more about the larger area (not just the Addison Clark project). Take a walk down Southport and look at all of the national chains opening up (Capital One Cafe, Lens Crafters, J Crew, Gap, Amazon Book Store, etc.); and while there was a 7-11 and Starbucks on the Addison Clark lot previously, the presence of national chains will be much larger.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the empty lots around Wrigley developing as densely as possible, I just think we can do a lot better than what we are getting. I also understand I'm probably in the minority as I also think most of the new construction going up in the neighborhoods is complete crap as a whole (not just picking on this development). Maybe my standards are too high.

maru2501 Dec 7, 2016 9:27 PM

southport is a disaster. I am just west of paulina and won't go there unless I need a gift from the gap

MegaBass Dec 12, 2016 10:59 PM

Latest from Wrigley Aerials

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzV7zWkUQAEvRdP.jpg
American Airlines 1914 Club

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzVXhl1WQAArlO4.jpg
Look closely the Under Armour doors in the outfield where the bullpens will be?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzWF07SWEAAa6nC.jpg
Working along the RF wall

J_M_Tungsten Dec 13, 2016 2:27 AM

Is the brick wall behind home plate and around the stadium part of the landmark status of the structure?

KWILLSKYLINE Dec 13, 2016 1:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten (Post 7649581)
Is the brick wall behind home plate and around the stadium part of the landmark status of the structure?

I believe so. Last I heard they are taking them out brick by brick and then laying them back down the same way.

lu9 Dec 13, 2016 2:20 PM

^^ looking for photo comparison now, but it should be noted the wall behind home plate used to be significantly taller (as recently as the 90s I want to say...)

BuildThemTaller Dec 13, 2016 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lu9 (Post 7649909)
^^ looking for photo comparison now, but it should be noted the wall behind home plate used to be significantly taller (as recently as the 90s I want to say...)

Technically, the wall behind home plate is the same elevation as it has always been, or at least as tall as it has been for the past couple of decades. The field was lower around the base of the wall. To aid with water runoff, the field was crowned around the base of the wall. Scroll back through the thread and you can see what I mean. The team removed the crowning about 10 years ago, leveled the playing field, and installed a modern drainage system.

lu9 Dec 13, 2016 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller (Post 7649972)
Technically, the wall behind home plate is the same elevation as it has always been, or at least as tall as it has been for the past couple of decades. The field was lower around the base of the wall. To aid with water runoff, the field was crowned around the base of the wall. Scroll back through the thread and you can see what I mean. The team removed the crowning about 10 years ago, leveled the playing field, and installed a modern drainage system.

Very familiar with the leveling of the field and drainage improvements, but hadn't connected the dots to wall height. Interesting...

Still looking for pictures though as i think there was also a minor stylistic change.

Neuman Dec 19, 2016 8:28 AM

Wall height

Sorry, but I don't believe that to be true. The brick wall behind home is much lower than it used to be and it has very little to do the the previous crowning of the field. Their are 6 additional rows of seats behind home that did not exist 15 years ago. They added 3 rows around 2005 and added an additional 3 rows around 2011. The wall needs to be lower so that people can see from them since the first row platform is below field level now. The original brick was torn out a decade ago and replaced. Look at '90s era photo's and you can see how weathered the brick was, and also observe the gate and drainage slits that used to be built into the brick wall behind home plate.

MegaBass Jan 9, 2017 5:55 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C04qjEDWgAAdpuO.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C02zOZNWIAEdYtP.jpg

12/28 views of Wrigley-area construction zone h/t Wrigley Aerials

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1bM3TWW8AE2386.jpg

Quote:

Football will return to Wrigley Field in November 2020, Cubs President Crane Kenney told the Tribune, with Northwestern's hosting multiple Big Ten games the team's "first priority."

More intriguing, Kenney said the Cubs "absolutely" intend to begin hosting an annual bowl game.

The bowl would be the first of its kind in the Chicago area, and the timing should be ideal.

By 2020 (actually 2018), fans will be able to eat in new Wrigleyville restaurants such as Big Star and Smoke Daddy, sleep at the boutique Hotel Zachary and revel in a tented plaza that can accommodate crowds of nearly 6,000.

And needless to say, the field area will be expanded to allow for two full end zones. (Chicago Tribune)

IrishIllini Jan 9, 2017 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaBass (Post 7672226)

Why would Northwestern play multiple Big Ten games at Wrigley when they already have Ryan Field? Great pictures though.

aaron38 Jan 9, 2017 8:10 PM

How are they fitting in two end zones when they didn't fit before? None of the walls are moving. Right?

aaron38 Jan 9, 2017 8:13 PM

And would that right-of-way just east of the Taco Bell ever get decommissioned? Doesn't seem like it's needed for anything, and along with the Bell and that red building on Eddy, would create quite a large, valuable parcel.

MegaBass Jan 10, 2017 2:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishIllini (Post 7672292)
Why would Northwestern play multiple Big Ten games at Wrigley when they already have Ryan Field? Great pictures though.

Ryan Field is due for some renovations if University/AD is willing to allow few games at Wrigley. Between them and Ross–Ade Stadium (Purdue) both have seen minimal renovations done compared to rest of the B1G.