SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

The North One Mar 28, 2020 9:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8877200)
the entire state or just all of the new york city area?

The whole tri-state area is what he wants. Most major media are reporting it.

The North One Mar 28, 2020 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8877216)
Oh ok, well that's not what I said. I said that the fatality rate of COVID-19 in Michigan is 3x that of New York (as of today). It's a very simple calculation and I have the numbers sitting right in front of me in a spreadsheet right now. I can't believe you made yourself look so foolish by challenging it.

No, you looked foolish when you made a bizarre comment about "single days". Like you suddenly couldn't understand accumulations of data or death rates per day?

It's all about testing so whatever fatality rate is useless. Every place on earth has wildly varying rates because nobody is testing the same. And as of today? It's 6:00 pm... it's not possible for you to have conclusive data for the 28th. You mean as of the last 24 hours??

But if you want a cookie for pointing out death rates in a totally unrelated state that in no way contradicted what I said then here you go.

jmecklenborg Mar 28, 2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8877216)
Oh ok, well that's not what I said. I said that the fatality rate of COVID-19 in Michigan is 3x that of New York (as of today). It's a very simple calculation and I have the numbers sitting right in front of me in a spreadsheet right now. I can't believe you made yourself look so foolish by challenging it.

Oddly, Michigan's cases are about 4x that of Ohio, and Southwest Ohio (Cincinnati, Dayton) still has only 100 cases and zero deaths.

When this is over, we'll see that some areas were much less affected than others because they had, by chance, fewer undiagnosed cases in January and February, and/or those who were infected weren't particularly social people.

JManc Mar 28, 2020 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8877211)

I hear conflicting reports. Tri-state refers to NYC/LI/ Westchester/Putnam counties and then northern NJ and CT. Upstate is not usually referred to as part of the Tri-state area. I never heard that term the entire time I lived there. That's why when "New York" is being reported on they need to clarify which one.

austlar1 Mar 28, 2020 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan (Post 8877184)
Planes, planes, and more planes at BHM.

https://i.imgur.com/4nGWVXG.jpg

Source: Mine

https://i.imgur.com/sRJyJEH.jpg

Source: Mine

Is Delta parking part of fleet at BHM?

mhays Mar 28, 2020 10:32 PM

For cumulative stats, these appear to be the most accurate or at least they count the most.

Each country and state starts at zero at 12:00 GMT I believe...the daily front page numbers are only accurate at the end of each day, then they update piecemeal, including multiple updates for some locations (NY and Spain are two major ones). The cumulative numbers are as close to real-time as any single source I've found.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Pedestrian Mar 28, 2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8877211)

Nobody, including Cuomo who said as much, has a clue what "quarantining" a multi-state area means. It's just talk although a number of governors in the places New Yorkers are fleeing to like New England and Florida might wish he could do it for real.

Actually, if you have any details of what such an action would mean in concrete terms, please post because no site I've seen does.

The North One Mar 28, 2020 10:39 PM

Ohio is not testing nearly as much as Michigan. It's all about testing. And most of Michigan's increases are because they've been going through a backlog of testing.

iheartthed Mar 28, 2020 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmecklenborg (Post 8877226)
Oddly, Michigan's cases are about 4x that of Ohio, and Southwest Ohio (Cincinnati, Dayton) still has only 100 cases and zero deaths.

When this is over, we'll see that some areas were much less affected than others because they had, by chance, fewer undiagnosed cases in January and February, and/or those who were infected weren't particularly social people.

It's probably more logistics and luck that the places with most severe outbreaks at this moment were the first. But it's really important thing to keep in mind is that each local number is more like a wave. The smaller numbers you see now in Ohio will absolutely become bigger waves if people are not taking this seriously.

Since we have so many waves going now in the U.S. that are growing aggressively, we will certainly have a bunch of big waves in the end, and not just one big wave in New York. For instance, I've been watching Michigan closely for a week now, and its growth trajectory has been faster than New York's but just delayed by about 4-5 days. If that holds, Michigan will have well over 40,000 cases by this time next week. When this is all said and done, I will not be at all surprised if places in the South with less aggressive responses have more cases than where New York tops out.

SpawnOfVulcan Mar 28, 2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austlar1 (Post 8877235)
Is Delta parking part of fleet at BHM?

Yep. There are about 50 planes parked on-site.

iheartthed Mar 28, 2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8877248)
Ohio is not testing nearly as much as Michigan. It's all about testing. And most of Michigan's increases are because they've been going through a backlog of testing.

That's not really true. Ohio has most likely tested quite a bit more people than Michigan. But Michigan has stopped releasing the numbers for total tested, so there is no way to know for sure.

SIGSEGV Mar 28, 2020 11:04 PM

Just did curbside pickup (well, sidewalk pickup, since I walked there) from a 2-star michelin restaurant. I can get used to this...

CaliNative Mar 28, 2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8877049)
Remdesivir may work but I'd wait for trials before putting much faith in it. There are a couple of other antivirals undergoing trials: Galidesivir, favilavir and some others. The faith in hydroxychloroquine (not so much chloroquine) is still anecdotal but a lot of people have it and the thing about this drug is it's cheap, common and fairly harmless.

I'm not a believer in Vitamin C--reminds me too much of the Linus Pauling days when Vit. C was thought a miracle cure.

Here's a fairly complete rundown on clinical trials related to coronavirus: https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/...ers-cov-drugs/

Well like New Yorkers say, "(Vit. C) can't hoight". It does seem to ward off colds for me, or shorten them, and many (not all) colds are coronaviruses (of a different type). Do a google search--some hospitals in NYC are administering large doses of Vit. C in the intravenous solution. Some report good results. "It can't hoight". Of course will need clinical trials to see if it really helps. I take a couple of 500 mg pills a day. Any stocks you are buying? Taking a look at sanofi (SNY), a French pharma. Saw a good report on it. Have a couple of Gilead shares (GILD) in case remdesivor works. The clinical trial results should be known soon. Also Abbott Labs (ABT) just came out with a quick test that can be done in doc's offices with quick results. Another company is coming out with an antibody test so we can find out who had the disease & recovered. Thanks for the link. Any tips on getting N95 masks? Of course the priority should be for medical personnel and emergency workers--a disgrace that they don't have enough. I know 3M (MMM) makes them. Wish they could crank out billions so everybody who is vulnerable (old etc.) could have them, and of course the hospitals should have limitless supplies. Can they clean/sterilize them so they can be reused?

Pedestrian Mar 28, 2020 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 8877279)
Any stocks you are buying? Taking a look at sanofi (SNY), a French pharma. Saw a good report on it. Have a couple of Gilead shares (GILD) in case remdesivor works. The clinical trial results should be known soon. Also Abbott Labs (ABT) just came out with a quick test that can be done in doc's offices with quick results. Another company is coming out with an antibody test so we can find out who had the disease & recovered. Thanks for the link. Any tips on getting N95 masks? Of course the priority should be for medical personnel and emergency workers--a disgrace that they don't have enough. I know 3M (MMM) makes them. Wish they could crank out billions so everybody who is vulnerable (old etc.) could have them, and of course the hospitals should have limitless supplies. Can they clean/sterilize them so they can be reused?

Stocks: Not now but near the lows (or if we revisit them) I bought calls in Medtronic (makes ventillators--MDT), Baxter (makes IV fluid and a wide range of medical supplies--BAX), Charles River Labs (arms supplier to the biotech industry--CRL), Thermo Fisher Scientific (makes the key machine that runs PCR tests for coronavirus--TMO). Not buying major pharma because I already have plenty of a closed end fund, THW, that owns them (and another that owns Regeneron--HQH) but did you catch the interview with the CEO of Sanofi I posted?

I wouldn't know where to get N95 masks now--everyone has scoured the market. I bought 25 of them online back in January--hopefully enough since they can be worn multiple times. I plan to wear mine mainly in closed spaces--that darned elevator.

I also posted an interview with the CEO of Owens & Minor which makes face masks detailing how they hope to ramp production. They are already running their production lines 20 hours per day (he says they have to shut down 4 hours for maintenance).

I personally don't see why they can't be sterilized and re-used, but I'm a little out of date. My niece is currently an ER nurse and I asked her the same question today. Hasn't responded yet.

Pedestrian Mar 28, 2020 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8877266)
Just did curbside pickup (well, sidewalk pickup, since I walked there) from a 2-star michelin restaurant. I can get used to this...

I remember after the 1989 earthquake in San Francisco, celeb chef Jeremiah Tower (an alum of Chez Panisse in Berkeley) started giving away food from his restaurant Stars because with the power out, none of the food in his refrigerator or freezer would keep so he cooked it all up and gave it away. That place was across the street from my apartment so I took advantage.

sopas ej Mar 29, 2020 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8877134)
Let me make this easier for you. This was a box of See's candy I ordered for my Mom one year. It arrived covered in mold:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...426994/enhance

I thought about calling Warren Buffet and giving him H*ll.

I thought chocolate doesn't get moldy; I think what you're showing is badly bloomed chocolate. Chocolate blooms when it's not stored properly; I assume that happened in transit. If it's just bloomed chocolate, it's safe to eat; just the texture would've been changed, and it probably wouldn't have tasted as it should have (because of the separation of fats and/or sugars). It would've been safe to eat, though.

sopas ej Mar 29, 2020 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8877266)

I've been doing takeout and curbside pickup since the stay at home order; maybe that's why I haven't been freaking out as much as some other people, because we haven't changed our buying-food-from-a-restaurant habit all that much since the stay at home order; we're just not able to sit in a restaurant for now, but we're still able to enjoy their food.

Pedestrian Mar 29, 2020 1:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8877343)
I thought chocolate doesn't get moldy; I think what you're showing is badly bloomed chocolate. Chocolate blooms when it's not stored properly; I assume that happened in transit. If it's just bloomed chocolate, it's safe to eat; just the texture would've been changed, and it probably wouldn't have tasted as it should have (because of the separation of fats and/or sugars). It would've been safe to eat, though.

It was green and fuzzy looking (as you can see) and it was all types, not just chocolate. It was definitely mold. And I can't imagine anybody eating it.

I'm a chocoholic--I know bloom when I see it. Do nuts bloom?

sopas ej Mar 29, 2020 1:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8877382)
It was green and fuzzy looking (as you can see) and it was all types, not just chocolate. It was definitely mold. And I can't imagine anybody eating it.

I'm a chocoholic--I know bloom when I see it. Do nuts bloom?

I wasn't sure that it was green; I thought it was greenish from fluorescent lighting, which seems to affect photos.

I'm a chocoholic too... but I've been cutting down for the past year because of the sugar. I don't want to develop type 2 diabetes.

jmecklenborg Mar 29, 2020 3:10 AM

I went out for a walk tonight and heard a bunch of voices and coughing. Turns out a rehab facility has a back smoking area that is fenced in. So these guys are likely spreading the disease to one another at the facility and then will take it back to their respective neighborhoods when they get out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVVX...ature=youtu.be