SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Post Office Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192697)

JK47 Mar 29, 2018 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 8103923)
Also, didn't UA just recently lease in Willis/Sears?

Yeah not only is UA on lease but they expanded from their initial lease a few years back. From what I understand there have been some reductions from their peak headcount in Sears so there shouldn't be any space constraints at the moment. Nearly everything (except for a CS or ticketing office in the suburbs that they got a deal on) is consolidated in Sears so I'm not sure what UA would be leasing in the Post Office.

Jim in Chicago Mar 29, 2018 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 8136986)
Wow, it really is beautiful! I toured the building years ago after it had sat vacant for a while. They appear to be doing a great job!

My normal route takes me past the Post Office all the time. At this point at least I couldn't point to a single they're done where I've thought "what were they thinking." So far I'm impressed!

Rizzo Mar 29, 2018 6:13 PM

The lobby is incredible. I stopped in a couple weeks ago for a look. It will be great seeing it full of people.

Vlajos Mar 29, 2018 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK47 (Post 8137018)
Yeah not only is UA on lease but they expanded from their initial lease a few years back. From what I understand there have been some reductions from their peak headcount in Sears so there shouldn't be any space constraints at the moment. Nearly everything (except for a CS or ticketing office in the suburbs that they got a deal on) is consolidated in Sears so I'm not sure what UA would be leasing in the Post Office.

I heard UA was looking at space in the OPO from people very close to the project.

Kngkyle Mar 29, 2018 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 8137277)
I heard UA was looking at space in the OPO from people very close to the project.

I believe I read from someone that the operations center in the Sears Tower is less than ideal due to the size of the floor plates. Apparently it is best to have the ops center on a single floor and in order to do that in the Sears Tower it is very cramped. The OPO seems like it would be a perfect fit due not only to the large floor plates but also the high ceilings, which give ample room for the array of displays needed in an ops center. No other departments would move to OPO.

Just speculation but it all makes sense.

woodrow Mar 29, 2018 7:16 PM

It's crazy to think that Sears Tower floorplates are too small!!! lol. Poor Sears Tower - it's floorplates are either too big or too small.

JK47 Mar 29, 2018 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 8137309)
I believe I read from someone that the operations center in the Sears Tower is less than ideal due to the size of the floor plates. Apparently it is best to have the ops center on a single floor and in order to do that in the Sears Tower it is very cramped. The OPO seems like it would be a perfect fit due not only to the large floor plates but also the high ceilings, which give ample room for the array of displays needed in an ops center. No other departments would move to OPO.

Just speculation but it all makes sense.

So United is subleasing space in 77 W Wacker till 2022 as part of the moves made in 2012 and now they'll be subleasing space in Willis Tower until 2028? That doesn't make much sense at all.

k1052 Mar 30, 2018 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK47 (Post 8137497)
So United is subleasing space in 77 W Wacker till 2022 as part of the moves made in 2012 and now they'll be subleasing space in Willis Tower until 2028? That doesn't make much sense at all.

If your current space is not optimal for your needs then it makes sense to move, especially if the rent obligation is negligible in terms of your overall business.

left of center Mar 30, 2018 5:29 PM

^ This. The corporate business environment is fluid and cutthroat, especially in the very competitive airline industry where price wars are common. United needs to find efficiencies wherever possible in order to squeeze out as much profit as possible. You adapt to your needs or you get left behind.

SammisAran Mar 30, 2018 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8137011)
Unless they plan to put a 9-hole golf course up there, only part of the roof needs to be public.

But something like the (now, sadly, former) Babylon Roof Gardens could be cool.

They have lots of room to work with up there. I saw some renderings of a walking path, lots of greenspace, and a few patio/pavilions that could be cafes/restaurants/bar.

https://i.imgur.com/gZpto0Y

https://i.imgur.com/igAy3Z3

Jim in Chicago Apr 2, 2018 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK47 (Post 8137497)

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1052 (Post 8138111)
If your current space is not optimal for your needs then it makes sense to move, especially if the rent obligation is negligible in terms of your overall business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8138251)
^ This. The corporate business environment is fluid and cutthroat, especially in the very competitive airline industry where price wars are common. United needs to find efficiencies wherever possible in order to squeeze out as much profit as possible. You adapt to your needs or you get left behind.

All true. The other factor to consider is that to build out and move an operations center that's stuffed with communications and technology has to most a boatload of money to pull off. Those one-time costs need to factored into the equation. Even coordinating a move is huge - you can't just pull the plugs one day for a week or planes wouldn't get off the ground.

Baronvonellis Jun 5, 2018 6:12 PM

Any updates on the Post Office? It's been 2 months. This is my favorite project going on now! I can't wait to see it gleaming and fixed up for the next 100 years.

the urban politician Jun 5, 2018 7:33 PM

What surprises me is that we know nothing about leasing activity within one of the largest rehab projects in the United States, financed by one of the largest banking institutions in the world.

C'mon guys!

Rizzo Jun 5, 2018 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 8210583)
Any updates on the Post Office? It's been 2 months. This is my favorite project going on now! I can't wait to see it gleaming and fixed up for the next 100 years.

I’ll have to post some photo updates. Many of the new windows are installed. Nothing really at the ground level which is where I expect the most dramatic architectural changes.

I did step in the lobby recently...and wow it is beautiful.

left of center Jun 5, 2018 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8210717)
What surprises me is that we know nothing about leasing activity within one of the largest rehab projects in the United States, financed by one of the largest banking institutions in the world.

C'mon guys!

I assume there are some big tenant(s) that are planning to move into this site and have been able to buy everyone's silence.

Which, would be fantastic news!

Baronvonellis Jun 6, 2018 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rizzo (Post 8210791)
I’ll have to post some photo updates. Many of the new windows are installed. Nothing really at the ground level which is where I expect the most dramatic architectural changes.

That would be great if you could post some photos!

SammisAran Jun 6, 2018 2:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rizzo (Post 8210791)

Can confirm, lobby is beautiful.

https://i.imgur.com/oWSGrVY.jpg

donnie Jun 6, 2018 6:43 PM

Ready for an Untouchables remake!

BVictor1 Jun 6, 2018 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie (Post 8211915)
Ready for an Untouchables remake!

That was Union Station.

gebs Jun 6, 2018 7:06 PM

Then he's ready for a Dark Knight remake!