SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Post Office Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192697)

i_am_hydrogen Jul 24, 2013 2:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbana (Post 6208081)
Can this be moved to proposal finally? It was outlandish in the beginning, but at this point seems very real.

I just moved it back to the active side of the development news forum.

SamInTheLoop Jul 24, 2013 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbana (Post 6208081)
Can this be moved to proposal finally? It was outlandish in the beginning, but at this point seems very real.

Not at all. Doesn't look any more real from the first proposal a couple years ago. This would have gargantuan odds against it even if it were proposed by a developer that actually had a half-decent or better track record with major real estate developments (in the hundreds of millions or higher), which Bill Davies, absolutely, positively does not, as you will read about in the linked to article below (this is an easily falsifiable statement, so anybody who disagrees with it should be able to readily provide contrary evidence, of which there is none!)

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2013/...-old-post.html

All this is is a land/development rights play. It's blatantly obvious, and nobody should allow their brain to be eaten by goofy boisterous boosterish salesmen trying to convince them otherwise....

NYguy Jul 24, 2013 3:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen (Post 6207587)

I don't know what the odds are, but its phased over a number of years. So if something comes out of it, its a good thing.

chris08876 Jul 24, 2013 4:00 PM

This would be really nice. Lets hope it happens. That area is somewhat empty this would definitely help bring balance to it.

i_am_hydrogen Jul 24, 2013 5:29 PM

Phases One (center), Two (right), and Three (left):
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/8626/78zz.jpg

Roadcruiser1 Jul 24, 2013 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 6208501)
Not at all. Doesn't look any more real from the first proposal a couple years ago. This would have gargantuan odds against it even if it were proposed by a developer that actually had a half-decent or better track record with major real estate developments (in the hundreds of millions or higher), which Bill Davies, absolutely, positively does not, as you will read about in the linked to article below (this is an easily falsifiable statement, so anybody who disagrees with it should be able to readily provide contrary evidence, of which there is none!)

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2013/...-old-post.html

All this is is a land/development rights play. It's blatantly obvious, and nobody should allow their brain to be eaten by goofy boisterous boosterish salesmen trying to convince them otherwise....

All you are doing is citing from an opinionated source. We will see if anything happens in two months as most newspapers suggest. Until then there is enough newspaper articles to prove that this project is real..........

chris08876 Jul 24, 2013 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen (Post 6208729)
Phases One (center), Two (right), and Three (left):
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/8626/78zz.jpg

Love those huge twin antennas. So Chi Town Right there. Intimidating they are. :tup:

SamInTheLoop Jul 27, 2013 1:26 AM

Why is it that whenever there's a proposal of exceptional height, all the most sophisticated analytical thinkers surface?

HomrQT Jul 29, 2013 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 6212118)
Why is it that whenever there's a proposal of exceptional height, all the most sophisticated analytical thinkers surface?

You banging your head against the wall saying it's not real is just as absurd as people saying it will happen. No one knows, let's just sit back and watch. If they are putting out renderings, we'll post them and see if it ever comes to fruition. If the project never happens and a bunch of skyscraper lovers had their hopes up, then.... so what?

Roadcruiser1 Jul 30, 2013 1:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 6212118)

Many people in the United States have been let down before by nice skyscraper proposals that failed. I can name several. The Chicago Spire, the Chicago World Trade Center, the NYSE Tower, the Signature Tower, the Miglin Beitler Skyneedle, 7 South Dearborn, and etc. Meanwhile China and Dubai build 2,000+ footers like nothing. This is why so many Americans have lost hope. You can't blame them..........

chris08876 Jul 30, 2013 2:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 (Post 6214667)
Many people in the United States have been let down before by nice skyscraper proposals that failed. I can name several. The Chicago Spire, the Chicago World Trade Center, the NYSE Tower, the Signature Tower, the Miglin Beitler Skyneedle, 7 South Dearborn, and etc. Meanwhile China and Dubai build 2,000+ footers like nothing. This is why so many Americans have lost hope. You can't blame them..........

Especially considering Chi town invented the skyscraper. But there's optimism. We will catch no worries.

NYC GUY Jul 30, 2013 3:32 AM

Once I read World's tallest I think my heart jumped a bit.

texcolo Jul 30, 2013 3:48 AM

Is that Roosevelt Avenue that goes under the post office?

I like the idea of the development, and wouldn't be surprised if A tower gets built, but have a hard time seeing the entire plan get built out.

Also: It sure would be nice if they'd spend the money on getting Caletrava's Chicago Spire built instead.

Yackemflaber69 Jul 30, 2013 4:04 AM

why not both? :shrug:

chris08876 Jul 30, 2013 4:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texcolo (Post 6214807)

Also: It sure would be nice if they'd spend the money on getting Caletrava's Chicago Spire built instead.

The market would probably support Calatrava's. Just look at NYC luxury market for ultra expensive units. I'm sure they would sell units. Problem is the financing but I'm sure the original developers of this will want to eventually make it happen. A lot of pre 2008 developments are coming back online all over the nation.

Tom In Chicago Jul 30, 2013 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texcolo (Post 6214807)
Is that Roosevelt Avenue that goes under the post office?

Congress Parkway

. . .

SkyscrapersOfNewYork Jul 30, 2013 10:12 PM

They look a lot like Sears...boring...build the spire.

chris08876 Jul 30, 2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork (Post 6215755)
They look a lot like Sears...boring...build the spire.

Build both :yes: . The sears look is what makes it look good. Its a taller looking Sears Tower and those thri antennas/spires are awesome

Zapatan Jul 31, 2013 8:59 AM

something tells me that a 2000 footer isn't likely but even any supertall or highrise coming out of this project is good.

:cheers:

GeorgiaBoy24 Aug 2, 2013 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 6215797)
Build both :yes: . The sears look is what makes it look good. Its a taller looking Sears Tower and those thri antennas/spires are awesome

No offense but does Chicago need more antennas? Aren't Sears and Hancock enough? And also I would prefer a more unique design rather than just copying Sears.