SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Apr 24, 2020 5:39 PM

Quote:

Coronavirus Could Upend New York-New Jersey Infrastructure Projects
By Paul Berger
April 23, 2020 5:41 pm ET

The coronavirus pandemic is threatening billions of dollars earmarked for New York City’s airports and other major infrastructure projects.

Rick Cotton, executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, said Thursday that without federal assistance the agency may significantly scale back its 10-year, $37 billion spending plans.

Mr. Cotton, speaking during and after a virtual board meeting, didn’t specify which projects are threatened. He said that renovations at LaGuardia Airport, which began several years ago, remain on schedule, adding, “We are committed to finishing the construction that is under way at LaGuardia.”

The Port Authority is midway through renovations at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey and is still in the early stages of a massive overhaul of John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York.

The Port Authority’s spending plan also includes a complete overhaul of its Midtown Manhattan bus terminal and an expansion of capacity on the Path rail system. Both normally carry hundreds of thousands of commuters between New Jersey and Manhattan.

Libby McCarthy, the authority’s chief financial officer, said in a presentation to board members that this year began well, with revenues up across most Port Authority facilities in January and February.

The authority budgeted for annual gross revenues this year of $5.8 billion. The biggest profit makers are its airports and six toll bridges and tunnels, which generated annual income from operations last year of $525 million and $915 million, respectively.

Ms. McCarthy said that by the end of March, in the wake of shutdowns, average weekday traffic at vehicular crossings was down 60%, while passenger numbers at the airports and on Path were down about 95%.

Last month, ahead of the first federal coronavirus bailout, the Port Authority requested $1.9 billion from the government. Mr. Cotton said the agency received $450 million, which was earmarked by the Federal Aviation Administration to cover losses at its airports.

He said that even those funds might not cover the authority’s airport revenue losses, as the crisis continues . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav...=hp_listb_pos3

The North One Apr 24, 2020 8:06 PM

Coronavirus Has Infected A 5th Of New York City, Testing Suggests

Quote:

It was already clear that the coronavirus has the capacity to spread at an alarming rate — that, of course, is why states across the country implemented sweeping measures to slow the rate at which it was filling hospitals. But new numbers released Thursday by New York, the state hardest hit by the virus so far, offered a startling glimpse of just how far the virus has spread there so far.

Based on the preliminary results of the first round of antibody testing conducted across New York, state officials estimate that 21.2% of New York City residents have contracted the coronavirus. Statewide, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said an estimated 2.7 million residents — or 13.9% of the state's population — have been infected.
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...sting-suggests

mrnyc Apr 25, 2020 2:57 PM

cute!

https://twitter.com/jerm_cohen/statu...575107079?s=20

softee Apr 25, 2020 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8903334)
Coronavirus Has Infected A 5th Of New York City, Testing Suggests

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...sting-suggests

So the number of people that were infected (with most recovering without even knowing they were infected) is 10 times higher than what they thought it was, therefore the fatality rate is 10 times lower than what they thought it was.

Why isn't this bigger news?

The North One Apr 25, 2020 4:57 PM

^ Because that's kinda already been implied/known for months now. But we have no concrete data to confirm it.

mhays Apr 25, 2020 5:08 PM

Yes, the numbers are interesting but the concept was assumed.

We've been testing the people who seem to be infected, medical professionals, and relatively few others. We always knew that many others were infected (that's the reason for broad shutdowns) but didn't have even a decent sampling.

This really drives home the need for the shutdowns to continue...and I'd be even more leery of the average takeout place or random person on the street.

10023 Apr 25, 2020 5:51 PM

^ I would draw the opposite conclusion.

This confirms what many epidemiologists said back in February, and Angela Merkel was the first global leader to voice publicly. Most people will be infected sooner or later no matter what, and certainly before a vaccine exists.

If that’s the case, then what’s the difference if you get it next week or in 3 months? The only thing creating a risk of “excess deaths” was an overwhelmed healthcare system that led to people dying who could otherwise be saved. That risk is increasingly looking like it’s behind us, so the “herd immunity” strategy again becomes the more optimal balance between public health and economic, social and psychological damage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriandrade (Post 8903129)
51,000 deaths in the US already. That's a whole Vietnam War in mere two months.

The whole thing is so depressing and without proper vaccines, this nightmare will keep going indefinitely.

Different casualties, however.

There’s a big difference between 20 year olds being killed in senseless fighting and people who are nearing or beyond average life expectancy succumbing to disease.

hauntedheadnc Apr 25, 2020 5:57 PM

This is a cheesy video of someone reading a badly-written "poem" while various members of the Asheville Symphony Orchestra play their instruments from their homes.

Video Link

Not gonna lie... When I watched it the first time, by the end I was a sobbing mess.

I find myself on the verge of tears a lot more lately.

jtown,man Apr 25, 2020 9:09 PM

Yeah, we all know we are banned from comparing the flu to Corona, so it goes without saying we should ban war and Corona comparisons, which make no sense.

Anyways, back to OT. My mayor has still not budged on allowing people to ride their bikes on the 18-mile lakefront trail. As soon as school ends I will be heading down to Arkansas to spend my money and enjoy life.

SIGSEGV Apr 25, 2020 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by softee (Post 8903956)
So the number of people that were infected (with most recovering without even knowing they were infected) is 10 times higher than what they thought it was, therefore the fatality rate is 10 times lower than what they thought it was.

Why isn't this bigger news?

In fact the numbers suggest an IFR of around 1%, which is exactly where experts expected it to be. Unfortunately the media has been conflating CFRs with IFRs which has resulted in mass confusion.

Pedestrian Apr 25, 2020 9:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8904146)
In fact the numbers suggest an IFR of around 1%, which is exactly where experts expected it to be. Unfortunately the media has been conflating CFRs with IFRs which has resulted in mass confusion.

No, you seem to have it backwards. Actually, the IFR seems to be as low as 0.1% from what I've seen reported (and one "expert" actually used that number on TV last night confirming my suspicion). The proven CFR remains around 1-2%, but it's all the asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic (and therefore unrecognized) infections that are raising eyebrows. We are just beginning to detect those as serologic testing ramps up.

Emprise du Lion Apr 25, 2020 11:37 PM

Ended up seeing this on Reddit. Someone did a montage of St. Louis during the shutdown.

Video Link

I do have a bit more hope for a lot of restaurants/bars here than I did before after it became temporarily legal for them to start selling pre-made cocktails to go. It's apparently been a boon to many businesses in terms of income and has certainly made takeout more enticing.

Pedestrian Apr 25, 2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8904191)
No, you seem to have it backwards. Actually, the IFR seems to be as low as 0.1% from what I've seen reported (and one "expert" actually used that number on TV last night confirming my suspicion). The proven CFR remains around 1-2%, but it's all the asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic (and therefore unrecognized) infections that are raising eyebrows. We are just beginning to detect those as serologic testing ramps up.

Quote:

. . . is that 3% infection ratio accurate, and if not, what is the real number? To understand this, we need to understand the difference between case fatality rate (CFR) and infection fatality rate (IFR). CFR is the ratio of the number of deaths divided by the number of confirmed (preferably by nucleic acid testing) cases of disease. IFR is the ratio of deaths divided by the number of actual infections with SARS-CoV-2. Because nucleic acid testing is limited and currently available primarily to people with significant indications of and risk factors for covid-19 disease, and because a large number of infections with SARS-CoV-2 result in mild or even asymptomatic disease, the IFR is likely to be significantly lower than the CFR. The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (CEBM) at the University of Oxford currently estimates the CFR globally at 0.51%, with all the caveats pertaining thereto. CEBM estimates the IFR at 0.1% to 0.26%, with even more caveats pertaining thereto.

Crunching some numbers, if IHME estimates 3% of the US population (~330M) resistant to the disease after the first wave, that implies 9.9M infections. The IHME prediction of ~93,000 deaths implies an IFR of 0.9%, close to the commonly estimated 1% CFR globally. Note that IHME is really only projecting deaths based on real data, and therefore should not be faulted for choosing a conservative estimate of infection rate (~1%), especially given that the IFR is, at this point in time, a particularly slippery number. However, if, just for argument’s sake, the IFR is really as low as 0.1%, then it follows that after the first wave of disease, as much as 30% of the US population will have been infected and thus resistant to reinfection. It seems to me that this would give the virus considerably less fertile ground to grow on and significantly dampen the impact of a second wave.
https://www.virology.ws/2020/04/05/i...ging-covid-19/

Pedestrian Apr 26, 2020 1:46 AM

San Francisco Hilton Hotel:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...865504/enhance
Taken by a neighbor

SIGSEGV Apr 26, 2020 5:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8904191)

The IFR can't be as low as 0.1 percent as more than 0.1 percent of NYC's population has died from COVID-19 (close to 0.2 percent if you include the probable deaths count from the NYC DPH). If you believe the serological study in NYC, 0.5-0.9 of those who have likely been exposed in NYC have died, and that's not accounting for those who are infected but have not died yet, bringing the likely IFR for NYC to be likely in the ~1%+ range.

NYC is the only population in the US where the false positive rate of the antibody tests is not a huge effect (since the virus is obviously more widespread in NYC than anywhere else). The Stanford study was almost certainly measuring mostly false positives (unless somehow the IFR in NYC is 10x worse than California, for some unknown reason).

mrnyc Apr 26, 2020 6:51 AM

more nice

https://apnews.com/fe7a9ca4e8870819474af243e8d9d233

jtown,man Apr 26, 2020 1:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8904491)

He needs to wear a mask when outside.

the urban politician Apr 26, 2020 3:24 PM

Yesterday I put down some newspapers, sat my kids on them, grabbed a set of scissors, and gave them both haircuts.

Very amateur looking haircuts.

You gotta do what you gotta do, but suffice to say that our family will be having a very bad hair-month

iheartthed Apr 26, 2020 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8904135)
Yeah, we all know we are banned from comparing the flu to Corona, so it goes without saying we should ban war and Corona comparisons, which make no sense.

Anyways, back to OT. My mayor has still not budged on allowing people to ride their bikes on the 18-mile lakefront trail. As soon as school ends I will be heading down to Arkansas to spend my money and enjoy life.

Covid-19 has killed more Americans than died of the flu last season in the U.S.

jtown,man Apr 26, 2020 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8904619)
Covid-19 has killed more Americans than died of the flu last season in the U.S.

We're not allowed to bring up the flu and corona.

Or, we weren't allowed to bring it up until the number of deaths from Corona went higher than the flu deaths?

iheartthed Apr 26, 2020 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8904641)
We're not allowed to bring up the flu and corona.

Or, we weren't allowed to bring it up until the number of deaths from Corona went higher than the flu deaths?

Is that a rule on this thread? If so then moderator, please delete my comment. If not, the reason we're not talking about it anymore is because of what I stated in my comment. COVID-19 killed more people in a month than the flu in a year.

mhays Apr 26, 2020 5:51 PM

It's the leading cause of death as long as the daily toll is over about 1,900...a little over cancer and heart disease.

jtown,man Apr 26, 2020 6:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8904642)
Is that a rule on this thread? If so then moderator, please delete my comment. If not, the reason we're not talking about it anymore is because of what I stated in my comment. COVID-19 killed more people in a month than the flu in a year.

lol no man I am actually sorry that I made it look like a rule. I was just joking based on past conversations on here.

The North One Apr 26, 2020 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8904643)
It's the leading cause of death as long as the daily toll is over about 1,900...a little over cancer and heart disease.

Funny how quickly things change, weren't there idiots just a few weeks ago trying to compare this to car deaths?

hauntedheadnc Apr 26, 2020 6:26 PM

The local news down in Greenville, SC, about an hour away from where I live, steps back in time to see how their city handled things the last time we had a pandemic like this:

Opinion: How Greenville endured pandemic and quarantine in the early 1900s
By Dr. Courtney L. Tollison, Furman University

Quote:

One hundred years ago, Greenvillians were under quarantine. Like us, they didn’t go to school, the theater or the movies. Like us, they ordered food at cafes and restaurants and waited outside. Like us, they wore masks, spent a lot of time outside, and physically distanced themselves, though they remained 5, not 6, feet away from one another.

Like us, they feared the effects of a global pandemic. Though the Spanish Influenza they confronted from 1918-1920 was deadlier, ultimately killing upwards of 50 million globally and 203 Greenvillians in October 1918 alone, the act of quarantining was not as foreign to people living then as it is to us today.

Between 1905 and 1920, Furman University students were quarantined six times on account of measles, meningitis, mumps and the Spanish Influenza. Men training at Camp Sevier, Greenville’s World War I training camp located near modern-day Wade Hampton Boulevard, operated under quarantine restrictions in November 1917 due to a measles outbreak. When the most virulent outbreak of the Spanish Influenza infected Greenville in late September 1918, residents had already been under quarantine earlier that year due to an outbreak of meningitis.

The pandemic of a century ago arrived in three waves over the course of 16 months. Though the second wave was the most virulent, Greenvillians were quarantined again in January 1919 and February 1920, with partial quarantines in 1922 and 1924. There was no vaccine for Spanish Influenza, just as there is no vaccine for COVID-19. However, It wasn’t until the 1930s that medical researchers realized that strain of influenza was viral and not bacterial.

According to oral histories recorded in 1980, Naomi Sizemore Trammell of Poe Mill suffered so badly that she wanted to die, while Ila Hartsell Dodson, then a young girl living on West Avenue near the village of West Greenville, remembers “(b)urning up with a temperature.”

Jessie Lee Carter’s mother helped sick neighbors in Brandon Mill village: “My mother was never afraid of the flu….She said she know’d the Lord was going to take care of her. If (H)e wanted her to have the flu and die, that’s the way for her to go.”

On Fifth Street in the Woodside Mill village, Geddes E. Dodson’s entire family contracted influenza. “I remember we was all so sick, my mother just got up and went to waiting on us, giving us aspirins and hot lemon tea. I had a mattress on my bed, and I perspired so much till it went through the mattress and dripped on the floor. ...It was an awful feeling. We didn’t know whether we was going to live or die….That was the rottenest sickness I ever had in my life.”

Architect Joseph G. Cunningham contracted a mild case of the flu and was eager to return to work. Every day, to deter him, his wife Beulah simply pointed outside, where, from their house on East Park Avenue near Springwood Cemetery, the daily transport of the dead passed.
Source.

jtown,man Apr 26, 2020 7:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8904665)
Funny how quickly things change, weren't there idiots just a few weeks ago trying to compare this to car deaths?

Yeah, this idiot is still doing that.

My point was very clear, but people ignored it for various reasons. We have a death rate of somewhere around 17 per 100k for car wrecks.

The point wasn't that cars are more deadly, the point was "not every life matters", according to the way we legislate. Do you think Texas did a study on how many more people would die when they raised their interstate speeds from 70 to 75? Of course they did. Obviously they found that more people would die, but they also found the economic impact was worth it. We make those types of choices(for various reasons) every day.

The point wasn't to compare death rates though, the point was to say; calm down, think about what you are doing. I think that was smart a month ago and it's smarter today. I have *yet* to hear what the endgame is besides waiting for a year for a vaccine that may never come. So yes, it is smart to compare this to other things we have control over and allow death to happen.

Even with stay at home orders, we have over 50k dead people. So we obviously make choices that still kill people. So if we were to follow a more liberal approach of the Swedes, we would be somewhere around 63k dead but we wouldn't be seeing spikes when people INEVITABLY go back outside.

I mean, what is the goal? Everyone stay home until it disappears? Not gonna happen.

Steely Dan Apr 26, 2020 8:12 PM

In a positive sign that Chicago is flattening the curve, the make-shift emergency covid-19 care facility at Chicago's convention center has been scaled back from its original 3,000 bed capacity, down to only 1,000 beds.

mhays Apr 27, 2020 1:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8904728)
I have *yet* to hear what the endgame is besides waiting for a year for a vaccine that may never come.

I mean, what is the goal? Everyone stay home until it disappears? Not gonna happen.

Wow, this country is doing a horrible job of explaining things.

We're obviously not going to stay at home until a vaccine. My understanding is that we can open most things relatively safely if at least a couple of these happen:
1. The infection rates get low enough.
2. Mass testing is easy and fast, so we can idenity outbreaks and focus there instead of broadly.
3. We have decent treatments, which could be much sooner than a vaccine.

None of that has happened, but there's a middle ground. During an interim period where we've slowed transmissions but don't have most of the above, we can reopen some things but reduce transmission rates by:
4. Work from home when possible, and no matter what if we're sick (some jobs will need sick leave to be established, which should be mandated).
5. Focus on hygiene.
6. Limit the most obvious opportunities for large scale infection, like spectator sports.

dave8721 Apr 27, 2020 5:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8904917)

We're obviously not going to stay at home until a vaccine. My understanding is that we can open most things relatively safely if at least a couple of these happen:
2. Mass testing is easy and fast, so we can idenity outbreaks and focus there instead of broadly.

None of that has happened, but there's a middle ground. During an interim period where we've slowed transmissions but don't have most of the above, we can reopen some things but reduce transmission rates by:
4. Work from home when possible, and no matter what if we're sick (some jobs will need sick leave to be established, which should be mandated).
5. Focus on hygiene.
6. Limit the most obvious opportunities for large scale infection, like spectator sports.

#6 would also include Airplanes (which are still flying now). Probably movie theaters as well

Pedestrian Apr 27, 2020 7:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8904471)
The IFR can't be as low as 0.1 percent as more than 0.1 percent of NYC's population has died from COVID-19 (close to 0.2 percent if you include the probable deaths count from the NYC DPH). If you believe the serological study in NYC, 0.5-0.9 of those who have likely been exposed in NYC have died, and that's not accounting for those who are infected but have not died yet, bringing the likely IFR for NYC to be likely in the ~1%+ range.

NYC is the only population in the US where the false positive rate of the antibody tests is not a huge effect (since the virus is obviously more widespread in NYC than anywhere else). The Stanford study was almost certainly measuring mostly false positives (unless somehow the IFR in NYC is 10x worse than California, for some unknown reason).

NY is an outlier in almost every respect. But we'll see.

So you think the folks at Stanford are too stupid to figure out that their testing is suspect like you have?

Pedestrian Apr 27, 2020 7:46 AM

It is gradually dawning on me that living under coronavirus is a lot like living in the Soviet Union, circa 1955. I can't get butter or margerine. I can't get toilet paper or paper towels. I can't get most cleaning supplies. I had trouble getting treats for my cat (but finally found them). Soon I may not be able to get meat or fresh veggies.

And unlike in the USSR in the old days, I can't even trudge around town with a cloth bag looking for what I need because (a) they won't let me in stores with a cloth bag and (b) it's dangerous shopping in person.

Welcome to America 2020. I wonder if they have any of the stuff I can't get in Caracas.

SIGSEGV Apr 27, 2020 8:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8905071)
NY is an outlier in almost every respect. But we'll see.

So you think the folks at Stanford are too stupid to figure out that their testing is suspect like you have?

Yes, they didn't do the statistical analysis properly and have provided enough information to make it that obvious.

Their raw result is 50 out of 3330 tests positive (1.5%). However, they find that 2/401 of known-negative samples (combining their very limited testing and the manufacturer's) are false positives. While this point estimate is 0.5 percent, the 90-percent confidence interval on the false positive rate (using Jeffrey's interval, using Clopper-Pearson would produce a wider range due to its overcoverage) is 0.1 percent to 1.6 percent. In other words, their result is consistent with all tests being false positives yet their confidence intervals don't touch 0, so something is clearly off in their statistical reasoning. This is before considering their potentially-biased sample and questionable demogrpahic reweighting of the data. Oh and two of the authors had previously suggested everything was overblown.

I'm far from the only one to point this out. Look at https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.e...us-prevalence/ for example. edit: I suppose not everybody reads that blog. The author of the post is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Gelman

Anyway, I suppose it's possible that the IFR in NYC is 10 times higher than in California. But I doubt it.

Pedestrian Apr 27, 2020 9:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8905079)
Yes, they didn't do the statistical analysis properly and have provided enough information to make it that obvious.

Their raw result is 50 out of 3330 tests positive (1.5%). However, they find that 2/401 of known-negative samples (combining their very limited testing and the manufacturer's) are false positives. While this point estimate is 0.5 percent, the 90-percent confidence interval on the false positive rate (using Jeffrey's interval, using Clopper-Pearson would produce a wider range due to its overcoverage) is 0.1 percent to 1.6 percent. In other words, their result is consistent with all tests being false positives yet their confidence intervals don't touch 0, so something is clearly off in their statistical reasoning. This is before considering their potentially-biased sample and questionable demogrpahic reweighting of the data. Oh and two of the authors had previously suggested everything was overblown.

I'm far from the only one to point this out. Look at https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.e...us-prevalence/ for example. edit: I suppose not everybody reads that blog. The author of the post is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Gelman

Anyway, I suppose it's possible that the IFR in NYC is 10 times higher than in California. But I doubt it.

I don't think we'll know the true picture until it's over and we can do these analyses in restrospect. For one thing, I suspect there'll be a lot of revisions about who died of the virus and who died of other things.

And I have never argued coronavirus is not a serious thing, much worse than the flu or the other things its been compared with.

By the way, comparing New York to CA, they apparently ARE different strains of the virus. I heard it said today--I think it was by Dr. Gottlieb--that there are now 4 known strains of the virus and the Chinese strain prevalent in CA is different from the European strain prevalent in NY. So they could have different IFRs and other differences (but I agree, probably nothing like 10 times though as a Californian, I can hope so).

jtown,man Apr 27, 2020 10:23 AM

Quote:

5. Focus on hygiene.

I think you're right. But a lot of what I am seeing is that people think the only way to reopen things is to be 100% safe. I keep seeing that "social distancing is working" while 50k people are dead. Now, I am smart enough(barely) to understand that the 50k could be higher if we did nothing or less than we did anyways. However, from the articles and by what people are saying on social media it seems like people don't want to even go outside until there is either a vaccine or the amount of deaths go to zero. I mean, there was a heated debate on if a DRIVE-IN movie theater is safe to open. These are the incredibly stupid conversations Americans are having. This leads me to believe the first three things you pointed out aren't the only metric.

I also keep seeing stories of young people terrified to leave their house. The Washington Post article from yesterday gave me a good view on what a lot of people are going through. For example, a Georgia girl visited a guy in Virginia that she met on Bumble. It was supposed to only be a "one-time hookup" but shes been there for over a month now and only leaves his room to cook and use the bathroom, carefully listening to the dudes roommates coughing. Another story features a 29 year old terrified to even walk outside. He met some girl online and they had 8 "virtual dates" and have thought about meeting up in person. But the girl stated "she wants to meet him, but doesn't want to die", even during a "socially distanced walk together.

20 something folks in this country are scared to death to go outside, leave a room, or think a social distance walk with someone will kill them. There has been a MASSIVE misinformation campaign out there that has filtered through to all the idiots.

I saw a girl the other day post a graphic showing some states(I forgot) death count by week and it said "for all you open people, I'll leave this right here." It literally showed that the deaths per week were going down. When I mentioned this to the girl she said "but the deaths keep on racking up!" Ummm, well they aren't going to go down lady.

Edit: I just read a story from CNN that has this line: "...a number of states have begun to loosen stay-at-home restrictions--even as the novel coronavirus continues to infect and kill people." The obvious conclusion one *should reach by that line is that we shouldn't loosen restrictions until there is no more infections and death. It didn't say "as the deaths rate per week continues to climb" or "as the week over week number of cases continues to increase by 80%" or something. It simply left it at NO OPEN FOR YOU UNTIL NO DEATH OR CASES.

jtown,man Apr 27, 2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8905037)
#6 would also include Airplanes (which are still flying now). Probably movie theaters as well

Surely, you aren't suggesting we stop air travel?

the urban politician Apr 27, 2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8905073)
It is gradually dawning on me that living under coronavirus is a lot like living in the Soviet Union, circa 1955. I can't get butter or margerine. I can't get toilet paper or paper towels. I can't get most cleaning supplies. I had trouble getting treats for my cat (but finally found them). Soon I may not be able to get meat or fresh veggies.

And unlike in the USSR in the old days, I can't even trudge around town with a cloth bag looking for what I need because (a) they won't let me in stores with a cloth bag and (b) it's dangerous shopping in person.

Welcome to America 2020. I wonder if they have any of the stuff I can't get in Caracas.

Yes, very much yes indeed.

We will soon have a hard time getting meat.

But if we start having a shortage of beer/wine, I will openly revolt

Crawford Apr 27, 2020 12:44 PM

We're not seeing shortages in anything, really. Are people really having difficulty finding basic goods?

I think we once couldn't get disinfectant wipes. That's it.

ocman Apr 27, 2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8905132)
We're not seeing shortages in anything, really. Are people really having difficulty finding basic goods?

Went to the supermarket yesterday. Still no toilet paper on the shelves in south bay Safeway(which doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t stored in the back for customer request).

suburbanite Apr 27, 2020 1:18 PM

I haven't had trouble finding anything since the initial ~2 weeks in mid-March when people went crazy on toilet paper and paper towels.

Meat is still well-supplied in the grocery stores I've been to. For the past year my parents have been using a new delivery service from a group that locally sources meat from across Southern Ontario. In normal times, they would do a delivery every Monday. Now they're mostly doing bulk orders of 3+ months worth of product for people to load up their deep freezers. The guy said they would normally expect to do about 300 of these type of deliveries a month, and in April they're booked for 750...

I'm hoping this is actually a positive side effect of the whole ordeal. That people who have the means to can revert to more local supply chains.

jtown,man Apr 27, 2020 1:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8905152)
I haven't had trouble finding anything since the initial ~2 weeks in mid-March when people went crazy on toilet paper and paper towels.

Meat is still well-supplied in the grocery stores I've been to. For the past year my parents have been using a new delivery service from a group that locally sources meat from across Southern Ontario. In normal times, they would do a delivery every Monday. Now they're mostly doing bulk orders of 3+ months worth of product for people to load up their deep freezers. The guy said they would normally expect to do about 300 of these type of deliveries a month, and in April they're booked for 750...

I'm hoping this is actually a positive side effect of the whole ordeal. That people who have the means to can revert to more local supply chains.

With that particular market, I think you may be right. However, with 99% of other products people buy(nonfood), it will become less and less local.

10023 Apr 27, 2020 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8905073)

Why can’t you go in stores with a cloth bag?

And you’ll be able to get meat and veggies if you shop at the right places. It’s the Smithfield/Tyson factory crap that has supply chain issues, not your local farmers’ market.

Acajack Apr 27, 2020 4:14 PM

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif of the Kansas City Chiefs (also a doctor - the first-ever NFL player to become one) has responded to Quebec Premier François Legault's all-hands-on-deck plea and is working in a long-term care facility - which have been hit extremely hard by COVID-19 here. He didn't want the news to get out - but of course it did.

(Beijing) Olympic figure skating medallist Joannie Rochette is also a (very) freshly-minted doctor and has also jumped into the fray by working in a long-term care residence.

iheartthed Apr 27, 2020 4:18 PM

Quote:

5. Focus on hygiene.

I'm extremely skeptical that we can return to something that even remotely resembles full contact interaction without a way to rapidly test people, at scale. The absence of reliable ways to quickly identify and isolate outbreaks is the only reason that we've had to shut down at all. If we always knew who was infected, and who those people were in contact with, then there would never have been a reason to drastically alter our behavior.

Pedestrian Apr 27, 2020 5:44 PM

Quote:

Yes. I’m trying not to shop myself and using Instacart but twice now the “shopper” couldn’t find multiple items on my lists including a pound of margerine (he brought me half a pound of a brand I would never buy in normal times). Even the convenience stores are out.

Finally I went myself to the store, all masked and gloved. No TP or paper towels or “wipes” or really any cleaning products on the shelves.

I don’t think we’ve seen the meat and produce shortages yet. According to the WSJ that’ll be in about 2 weeks. They are “euthanizing” hogs in Iowa and chickens in Maryland/Delaware because the processing plants are closed. Farmers are letting veggies rot in the fields—yesterday I saw a really depressing photo of dead strawberry plants—because nobody to pick or process them or haul them to grocery stores.

Pedestrian Apr 27, 2020 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8905267)
Why can’t you go in stores with a cloth bag?

And you’ll be able to get meat and veggies if you shop at the right places. It’s the Smithfield/Tyson factory crap that has supply chain issues, not your local farmers’ market.

They are now banning reusable bags because they are getm carriers it’s been discovered. In San Francisco they now charge $0.10 per bag for plastic ones to encourage reusable ones except now the reusable ones are banned. No choice I guess but pay the $010.

Even the local farmers market depends on commercial contract meat processors, albeit small, local ones, and immigrant farm labor to pick crops. The processors are closing one by one and the farm labor is vanishing. Besides, where I live the farmers markets closed for lack of business—everybody’s holed up at home.

homebucket Apr 27, 2020 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8905437)
They are “euthanizing” hogs in Iowa and chickens in Maryland/Delaware because the processing plants are closed. Farmers are letting veggies rot in the fields—yesterday I saw a really depressing photo of dead strawberry plants—because nobody to pick or process them or haul them to grocery stores.

Shouldn't have much of an effect here in CA, since most of our produce and meats are grown locally.

Quote:

California's strawberry-producing regions extend 500 miles from San Diego to San Francisco. The earliest strawberries are from three southern California counties--San Diego, Orange, and Los Angeles. Harvest is from January through May, with fresh-market shipments usually peaking in April. The Oxnard area, located in Ventura County just north of Los Angeles, provides fresh strawberries from January until June, with deliveries to processors from April to July. In the Santa Maria area, north of Oxnard, picking usually starts in late February and lasts through November. Fresh-market strawberry shipments from Santa Maria usually peak in May, while deliveries to processors are largest during March and April.

California's northernmost strawberry-growing region is south of San Francisco and includes Watsonville and Salinas in Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties and some acreage in Santa Clara, San Benito, and Fresno Counties. Shipments from northern areas begin in April, peak in May or June, and continue through November. Deliveries to processors begin in April, but end before the last fresh strawberry shipments.

Most northern California strawberries are fresh marketed. Deliveries to processors accounted for more of the other areas' output: nearly 30 percent of shipments from Santa Maria, 44 percent from Oxnard, and 60 percent from the southernmost counties.

California is the nation's leading producer of strawberries. In 2010, more than 2 billion pounds of strawberries were harvested. That amounts to 88 percent of the country's total fresh and frozen strawberries. California's unique coastal environment with its western ocean exposure provides moderate temperatures year round. Warm sunny days and cool foggy nights are the perfect combination for growing strawberries.

The value of the California strawberry crop is approximately $2.1 billion. According to the California Department of Food and Agriculture, strawberries are the sixth most valuable fruit crop produced in California.
http://www.seecalifornia.com/farms/c...awberries.html

Pedestrian Apr 27, 2020 6:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How Covid-19 is rerouting parts of the Bay Area supply chain
By Dawn Kawamoto – Staff Reporter, San Francisco Business Times

Bay Area food suppliers and their trucking and distribution companies are scrambling to get back on track as the Covid-19 economic shutdown has thrown a wrench into their daily operations.

But still, some are faring better than others depending on their ability to pivot away from closed markets and into new distribution channels. Much of the local supply chain has been forced to switch from providing products to wholesale and food service industries like schools, corporate customers, and restaurants to now providing specifically to grocery stores, hospitals and medical facilities.

For companies like Petaluma-based dairy producer Clover Sonoma*, dealing with changing demand patterns has been a challenge. In the Bay area, butter and eggs are in short supply as more shoppers turn to baking while stuck at home during the Covid-19 shelter in place orders, said Marcus Benedetti, CEO of Clover Sonoma.

“Hens lay only one egg a day and demand for cream has gone through roof,” Benedetti said, noting cream is used to make butter, whipping cream and other products typically used for baking. Benedetti estimates Clover is currently supplying roughly 60% of the orders it receives for butter and eggs because that is all its milk production and chickens can produce at this time . . . .

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...VpSEo5V2RzSiJ9

*Clover Stornetta is a local dairy whose products are carried in most upscale and "heath-oriented" markets.

Pedestrian Apr 27, 2020 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 8905469)
Shouldn't have much of an effect here in CA, since most of our produce and meats are grown locally.

http://www.seecalifornia.com/farms/c...awberries.html

Doesn't matter how locally they are grown if there's insufficient labor to pick them or process them or transport them. See above about Clover Stornetta which, if you live in the Bay Area, I'm sure you know.

Quote:

'Essential' but Unprotected, Farmworkers Live in Fear of Covid-19 but Keep Working
Already at high risk of disease and early death, workers are especially prone to respiratory illnesses, setting them up for the worst ravages of the coronavirus.
Evelyn Nieves
BY EVELYN NIEVES
APR 3, 2020

SAN FRANCISCO—Sixteen men tending budding grapes on a farm in the Sacramento Delta hit the fields by sunrise, arriving in packed cars and vans.

As Americans shelter in place across much of the country, washing their hands and making sure to stay six feet away from others, the farmworkers carpool on grocery runs. At day's end, most retreat to cramped, crowded quarters, sleeping several to a room.

They are not coronavirus deniers: The pandemic terrifies them.

In forums the United Farm Workers union leads on Facebook, they vent about being called "essential," about being compelled to work yet feeling disposable, with no government-mandated protocols to safeguard their health. They are scared to work, scared to not work . . . .
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/0...ge-agriculture

homebucket Apr 27, 2020 6:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8905506)
Doesn't matter how locally they are grown if there's insufficient labor to pick them or process them or transport them. See above about Clover Stornetta which, if you live in the Bay Area, I'm sure you know.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/0...ge-agriculture

Haven't seen a shortage of food yet. Initially eggs were being sold out quickly, but the demand has died down. Certain more boutique brands of flour are hard to find, but standard issue flour is easy to procure. As far as I can tell, this is more due to higher demand, not shortage in supply.

And yes, I am very familiar with Clover, Straus, Cowgirl, et al. These are Bay Area staples.

Pedestrian Apr 27, 2020 6:50 PM

Quote:

Tyson Warns of U.S. Meat Shortages as Coronavirus Shuts Livestock Plants
By Reuters
April 27, 2020, 10:45 a.m. ET

CHICAGO — Millions of pounds of beef, pork and chicken will vanish from U.S. grocery stores as livestock and poultry processing plants have been shuttered by coronavirus outbreaks among workers, the chairman of Tyson Foods Inc said.

John Tyson warned that the U.S. "food supply chain is breaking" as a growing number of plant closures have left farmers with fewer options to market and process livestock.

Tyson Foods announced last week that it would shutter two pork processing plants, including its largest in the United States, and a beef facility to contain the spread of the virus.

Other major meat processors like JBS USA [JBS.UL] and Smithfield Foods have closed facilities in recent weeks as cases of COVID-19, the potentially lethal respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus, have soared among plant workers.

More than 5,000 U.S. meat and food-processing workers have been infected with or exposed to the virus, and 13 have died, the country's largest meatpacking union said Thursday . . . .
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020...son-foods.html