SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

nickw252 Apr 20, 2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6099267)
Anyone know if the apartments that are set to be demolished are shown in any of the pics (1st/Roosevelt)? If the project isn't real, I hope they stop now before they create a massive lot of nothing.

I believe it's the 2 floor light greenish walk up building that is mostly obscured by the "Future Mixed Use" sign in my first picture. It is a brick building facing south with no street presence along 1st. Kind of generic looking and not much architectural significance but still a decent example of mid-century architecture. In this case I don't think we would be losing much by tearing down this building. Moreover, as I rode my bike by, there were hobos and bums walking in and out of the apartment courtyard, and garbage bags and scrap metal out on the porches.

phxSUNSfan Apr 20, 2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 6099230)
they sort of, to an extent, go hand in hand.

Typically low incomes jobs are taken by under or uneducated people. Undereducated people typically come from long lines of poverty or undereducation. Stupid people are typically classless.

Eventually you get to the term "scum".

Way to overgeneralize an entire class of people. For the most part, poor people (uneducated or undereducated) are law-abiding and hardworking. There is an element of criminality in certain segments but that is true of any income group: VLJ, didn't a domestic violence offender get gunned down by Phoenix PD in your higher-end complex (Renaissance Park) recently?

As for these units, I doubt we are going to have much trouble with the senior housing in terms of them being "scum". As for the Native American Connections developments, these are typically lower income residents but they have been vetted and most have jobs. They also have to follow rules and policies within the community or get evicted.

There won't be many of these developments built in downtown due to rising land prices. And like I said before, the newer, higher-end apartments outnumber these small projects big time. The CityScape building will have 224 units: that's 3 times the number of units at the Native American Connections building. And don't confuse the "student" housing at Roosevelt Point for lower-end rentals. I bet plenty of residents will be young professionals working at either one of the university campuses downtown. Any undergraduate living in that building will likely have plenty of disposal income (their parents') since those rents aren't exactly cheap.

phxSUNSfan Apr 20, 2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6099267)
Are there any pedestrian entrances directly off the street or are they all through the parking lots?

There are pedestrian entrances from every street. The park is not the best built in terms of entrances but most people walk to the park. I jog and take my dog for daily walks through there. You can enter from 3rd Ave, which is probably where the park is most visible. You can also enter from Central but the staircase down to the park is very awkward and unless you are walking along the Central Ave. bridge, you wouldn't know they existed.

Vicelord John Apr 20, 2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 6099282)
VLJ, didn't a domestic violence offender get gunned down by Phoenix PD in your higher-end complex (Renaissance Park) recently?

that shit happens in expensive parts of scottsdale, don't point a gun at a cop.

besides, I made no reference to crime.

:shrug:

phxSUNSfan Apr 20, 2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 6099309)
that shit happens in expensive parts of scottsdale, don't point a gun at a cop.

besides, I made no reference to crime.

:shrug:

When I think of scum, I generally think of those that don't respect their surroundings, typically break the rules and laws, and generally make the neighborhood unpleasant. There are many ways to ensure these things don't happen; one is to increase the presence of residents (of all income levels) within a neighborhood: crime and nuisance is much more likely to be reported.

When all said and done, downtown (specifically between the 7's, McDowell to Lincoln) will be moderate and expensive rentals and condo units for the most part. These small, lower-income dwellings are a drop in the bucket. The more important thing to me that downtown needs is to continue increasing the perceived safety and beautification of Garfield and the Grand Ave neighborhoods.

Vicelord John Apr 20, 2013 11:08 PM

I generally think of those who don't respect their surroundings... be it not taking care of their property, being disrespectful of others, just a general level of apathy that, for the most part, the educated/successful won't posess.

I hope downtown does not have much of this crap, as I won't tolerate it.

Jjs5056 Apr 21, 2013 1:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 6099283)
There are pedestrian entrances from every street. The park is not the best built in terms of entrances but most people walk to the park. I jog and take my dog for daily walks through there. You can enter from 3rd Ave, which is probably where the park is most visible. You can also enter from Central but the staircase down to the park is very awkward and unless you are walking along the Central Ave. bridge, you wouldn't know they existed.

Thanks. I have seen couple of lots, but most of my interaction with that Park is going over it on Central and it always looks impossible to get there from that bridge with the library, Irish cultural castle, etc. that all seem to be built right up to it.

I was the one who lumped the student housing into the discussion of low income housing. While they might not be restricted to students (RP in this case), the majority will be - these have furnished units, by-bed leases, etc. which are much more attractive to students. Additionally, the rents really are not expensive at all. They are about 750/p for a 3-bedroom, which includes electricity, cable, and Internet.

I was also including student housing into the discussion because along with low income, that seems to be the other kind of housing that is getting financing right now. And, a city of students (temporary residents for the most part) and low income just wouldn't be ideal. But, as I also said, the problem is the balance right now - almost all residential development is one of these types. As more and more market rate rentals come on the market, along with condos if that sector ever improves these projects will be minimal and help create a divese urban population.

Hope that makes a little more sense as to why I felt it was relevant.

phxSUNSfan Apr 21, 2013 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6099450)
I was also including student housing into the discussion because along with low income, that seems to be the other kind of housing that is getting financing right now. And, a city of students (temporary residents for the most part) and low income just wouldn't be ideal. But, as I also said, the problem is the balance right now - almost all residential development is one of these types. As more and more market rate rentals come on the market, along with condos if that sector ever improves these projects will be minimal and help create a divese urban population.

The thing about Roosevelt Point is that furnished apartments are an option; and they charge a little more for that option. The cheapest apartment rent is $709 for a "bed" in a four bedroom unit which is by no means, low-income. That is cheaper for downtown though. A one bedroom at Roosevelt point is $979 and a studio is $889. You also must reserve a parking spot and pay a monthly fee. The utilities are capped (and residents will have to pay for any overage) so there is some savings built-in which does make it an attractive option for students, but again, these are not cheap rents.
http://www.rooseveltpoint.com/index....op/floor_plans

The other difference between Roosevelt Point and a more dorm-like setting is that the leases are not based on the semesters so residents don't typically vacate their unit like they would at a campus dorm. I would bet that most of the residents that lease an apartment would typically stay and lease over the summer as well. It will be interesting to see how the residents of this complex contribute to Roosevelt Row.

About Hance Park: you can also access the park via one of the neighborhood streets. Turning down Culver is easiest from Central Ave. It would be best if the city found a way to incorporate an entrance with the Phoenix Trolley Museum and the historic house next to it.

PHX31 Apr 21, 2013 3:37 AM

Speaking of RoRo (j/k). I know the RO2 lot is a relatively cool use of an empty lot for public space, but is there any movement on that thing getting developed, or are those plans totally dead? That is a major puzzle piece to getting Roosevelt fully connected.

HooverDam Apr 21, 2013 3:58 AM

Anyone know anything about this "Melrose Marketplace" on 7th Ave? Looks like their redeveloping where their used to be a Salvation Army.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6099540)
Speaking of RoRo (j/k). I know the RO2 lot is a relatively cool use of an empty lot for public space, but is there any movement on that thing getting developed, or are those plans totally dead? That is a major puzzle piece to getting Roosevelt fully connected.

The lot just north of there and behind monOrchid is owned by the City I think (or some governmental agency, county maybe?). I think at one point the owner of the lot in question was hoping to work in conjunction with the city, combine the lots and do a larger project. Perhaps this would also include the Knipe house....but who knows. Maybe as things keep picking up that idea will be re-kindled.

The RO2 lot is pretty small, so you couldn't put a ton there. Maybe something like Will Bruder's "The Vale" in Tempe.

PHX31 Apr 21, 2013 4:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooverdam
The RO2 lot is pretty small, so you couldn't put a ton there. Maybe something like Will Bruder's "The Vale" in Tempe.

Perfect, that's all we need there. Probably impossible to pencil it out for a developer though.

Another killer lot is where revolver records is. It's a great community retail spot, but an unbelievably giant waste of space. How that crappy tiny building ever came to be is beyond me, especially imagining what used to exist on that lot.

dtnphx Apr 21, 2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 6098329)
^ What crawled up your ass to turn you so personally offended to the reality of downtown retail and so combative to anyone who should point it out?

First off, I don't even live in downtown Phoenix anymore, much less Arizona, and I am no longer personally invested in the area at all beyond this forum.

Secondly, even if I did still live downtown, the last thing I would be wanting is another hipster wrap or coffee shop because downtown is already chock full of those things.

Thirdly, the only thing downtown Phoenix has is a plethora of restaurants and bars. I am utterly baffled that I have to spell this out for you but there are no hardware stores, electronics stores, furniture stores, pet supply stores, grocery stores, opticians, and very few clothing retailers beyond a couple niches, or much less of anything that suggests normal people actually live and shop in the area.

Subsidized housing isn't helping any of those things arrive. Period.

I lived in Downtown Phoenix for six years and found myself driving out of downtown for every last little thing from air filters to clothing to groceries. You are blind or on something if you think downtown Phoenix doesn't have a retail services problem.

Glad to hear you moved away and are unaffected by anything here anymore except to moan about how shitty it was during your dreary time in Downtown Phoenix. You must be a friggin' ray of light in your new town.

bwaynoh Apr 22, 2013 7:10 AM

[QUOTE=Jjs5056;6099450]While they might not be restricted to students (RP in this case), the majority will be

According to a rep for Roosevelt Point about a month ago, they were 11% leased at the time and the majority of those leased were to young professionals, not students. Another interesting point she mentioned was the lack of interest in leasing parking spaces in the garage. It seems most of the leases have opted not to lease a parking space.

Jjs5056 Apr 22, 2013 7:34 AM

Good news, thanks!

There is another historic structure next to Luhrs, just east I believe. Is thus building occupied? Either way, who owns it and is there even a remote possibility of making better use if it- hotel, condos, museum, theatre, expensive dining on the ground floor, etc. And maybe mak use of the horrid lots surrounding it?

A shame to see CityScape almost complete and then see these gorgeous historic structures essentially empty aside from a Subway. :(

dtnphx Apr 22, 2013 3:51 PM

Loving how they stripped away the bad 1970s façade on the old Channel 12 building but noticed the most northern part of the building hasn't been stripped. I hope they don't keep it that way.

phxSUNSfan Apr 22, 2013 9:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwaynoh (Post 6100443)
According to a rep for Roosevelt Point about a month ago, they were 11% leased at the time and the majority of those leased were to young professionals, not students. Another interesting point she mentioned was the lack of interest in leasing parking spaces in the garage. It seems most of the leases have opted not to lease a parking space.

I have heard the same info and why I wanted to point out that Roosevelt Point won't be the same kind of dynamic as dorms on campus like Taylor Place. I didn't know about the parking situation which, to me, is a really good thing. I am not an architect, but I am wondering (based on how the garage was constructed) if that garage was built in a manner that would allow it to be "disassembled" in the future rather easily. If you noticed, unlike many garages I have seen built in the past, this garage was almost built with interlocking pieces rather than poured concrete. Of course, I am speaking of the garage being done away with long into the future here, and not within the next few years...

phxSUNSfan Apr 22, 2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6100448)
There is another historic structure next to Luhrs, just east I believe. Is thus building occupied? Either way, who owns it and is there even a remote possibility of making better use if it- hotel, condos, museum, theatre, expensive dining on the ground floor, etc. And maybe mak use of the horrid lots surrounding it?

That building is called Barrister Place and it is owned by the city. It used to house the Phoenix Police Museum which was moved to the Historic City Hall recently (or is still in the process of being moved). In 2011 there was news that Barrister Place would become the HQ for Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong's Institute for Advanced Health.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...a-project.html

I am not sure if that is still the plan for the building and for the institute which is now named the Healthcare Transformation Institute (HTI) and is a collaborative project with various organizations like ASU and UofA. Some part of the institute is housed on ASU's campus and I don't know if this is now the long-term plan or not...I could also see the HQ for HTI going on the Bio-med Campus in downtown.

http://www.healthcaretransformationinstitute.org/

Arquitect Apr 22, 2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 6101120)
I have heard the same info and why I wanted to point out that Roosevelt Point won't be the same kind of dynamic as dorms on campus like Taylor Place. I didn't know about the parking situation which, to me, is a really good thing. I am not an architect, but I am wondering (based on how the garage was constructed) if that garage was built in a manner that would allow it to be "disassembled" in the future rather easily. If you noticed, unlike many garages I have seen built in the past, this garage was almost built with interlocking pieces rather than poured concrete. Of course, I am speaking of way in the future here and not within the next few years.

It "could" potentially be disassembled. Not easily, but also not as tough as if it would have been cast in place. But you are right, the entire garage was basically pre-cast elsewhere, and everything was brought and assembled on-site. After everything was placed, they weld metal plates on each interlocking piece together, and in this case pour a thin layer of concrete over the pieces to make a smooth finish for the cars to drive on. There is also a little bit of build up within, mostly the concrete block walls for the retail and pool areas. But those can be easily torn down.

So yeah, it is a possibility. Although, I think 90% of lots in downtown would have to be filled before the owner even considers it. One can always hope though, and keep fingers crossed.

cygnusloop99 Apr 23, 2013 4:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arquitect (Post 6101171)
It "could" potentially be disassembled. Not easily, but also not as tough as if it would have been cast in place. But you are right, the entire garage was basically pre-cast elsewhere, and everything was brought and assembled on-site. After everything was placed, they weld metal plates on each interlocking piece together, and in this case pour a thin layer of concrete over the pieces to make a smooth finish for the cars to drive on. There is also a little bit of build up within, mostly the concrete block walls for the retail and pool areas. But those can be easily torn down.

So yeah, it is a possibility. Although, I think 90% of lots in downtown would have to be filled before the owner even considers it. One can always hope though, and keep fingers crossed.

There are also minimum parking requirements that new construction projects must meet. While there are usually districts in town that allow for reductions, a complex with that many residences still needs to self park to a certain amount of potential residences.

phxSUNSfan Apr 23, 2013 5:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cygnusloop99 (Post 6101628)
There are also minimum parking requirements that new construction projects must meet. While there are usually districts in town that allow for reductions, a complex with that many residences still needs to self park to a certain amount of potential residences.

You probably didn't read all the prior comments, but parking requirements are not part of Phoenix's Urban Form Code for downtown. Basically, in downtown Phoenix no parking is mandatory and in fact, in order to build the garage for Roosevelt Point the developer had to submit a variance so that it could be built...and of course the city didn't say no.

N830MH Apr 23, 2013 5:56 AM

Chase Field good choice for ASU football team

Hi All,

ASU Sun Devils will have a temporarily Chase Field. ASU is planned to rebuilding the Sun Devil Stadium. It will take approximately 2 or 3 years to be completely. ASU students will take light rail to downtown Phoenix. They won't take the buses to University of Phoenix Stadium. Because it was too far away from there. Light-rail is an options from Tempe to downtown Phoenix.

http://www.azcentral.com/opinions/ar...un-devils.html

phxSUNSfan Apr 23, 2013 6:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 6101669)
Hi All,

ASU Sun Devils will have a temporarily Chase Field. ASU is planned to rebuilding the Sun Devil Stadium. It will take approximately 2 or 3 years to be completely. ASU students will take light rail to downtown Phoenix. They won't take the buses to University of Phoenix Stadium. Because it was too far away from there. Light-rail is an options from Tempe to downtown Phoenix.

http://www.azcentral.com/opinions/ar...un-devils.html

I think you misunderstood the opinion piece...it states that Chase Field would be the best alternative for ASU to play a season of football away from Tempe. It isn't yet decided where the games will be played. I've heard rumors that it could be split between the two venues (Chase Field and UofP Stadium). A decision is likely to be made soon since the logistics will have to be worked out well in advance.

HooverDam Apr 23, 2013 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 6101678)
I think you misunderstood the opinion piece...it states that Chase Field would be the best alternative for ASU to play a season of football away from Tempe. It isn't yet decided where the games will be played. I've heard rumors that it could be split between the two venues (Chase Field and UofP Stadium). A decision is likely to be made soon since the logistics will have to be worked out well in advance.

Just got a text from KTAR 620 saying Chase Field will be the choice according to Crow.

Im very happy with this, it means while Ill be at ASU (Im going back in the fall) I can see games within biking distance to my house!

Plus its an obvious choice w/ it being along LRT, not in use in the late fall/winter, and being near ASU Downtown.

HX_Guy Apr 23, 2013 6:30 PM

Looks like it is now confirmed:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ase-field.html

westbev93 Apr 23, 2013 6:32 PM

Not in use in the fall? Are you giving up on a Dbacks' playoff run already?

pbenjamin Apr 23, 2013 9:02 PM

I was hoping for a different outcome. It's going to screw up the field for September (and hopefully October) games. My only interest in ASU football is wanting them to beat Arizona as I dislike Rodriguez.

Arquitect Apr 23, 2013 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 6102324)
I was hoping for a different outcome. It's going to screw up the field for September (and hopefully October) games. My only interest in ASU football is wanting them to beat Arizona as I dislike Rodriguez.

Although I agree that it is not the best option for the D-Backs to share the field, you'd be surprised at the awesome work that can be done to keep the field in good shape.

But more importantly,this is really great for downtown. The influx of fans to the area every other week will be great for all of the restaurants and bars in the area. I am really glad to see they will host the games instead of Glendale.

HooverDam Apr 23, 2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arquitect (Post 6102333)
But more importantly,this is really great for downtown. The influx of fans to the area every other week will be great for all of the restaurants and bars in the area. I am really glad to see they will host the games instead of Glendale.

Agreed.

It'll be tricky working it out w/ the D'backs, but its not impossible. If the D'backs have a long-ish road trip right before September that may be enough time to lay down a new field that would hopefully be durable enough.

Plus ASU will likely only have 2 or 3 games that would be during the D'backs season even if they go into the playoffs. If ASU could front load their schedule with road trips, it could work out.

ABOR forces ASU & UA to take turns playing NAU. NAU always travels South to the big schools. I for one think it would be awesome to see ASU go up the hill, just this one year, to play NAU. Who doesn't want to take a mini vacation to Flag in September and get out of the Valley?

Currently ASUs out of conference schedule in 2015 is Home vs New Mexico, @ LSU, and home vs Cal Poly. They could potentially switch that UNM game to at UNM. Currently ASU is scheduled to play AT UNM in 2014, so hopefully the Lobos would be amicable to switching years on that.

RichTempe Apr 24, 2013 3:27 AM

Just a couple of random shots of downtown I took this afternoon.

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/3636/20130423181836.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img526/3834/20130423183128.jpg

Jjs5056 Apr 24, 2013 5:13 AM

Thanks! Wish Hotel Monroe would happen. Would be nice to have a more upscale section downtown bookmarked by 44Monroe and the hotel. Especially since Biltmore is in no way a part of the core, we really are missing that entire demo.

As far as the Biltmore, Cornerstone on 26th is nearly complete, with a teeny tiny entrance off Camelback- better than nothing, I guess, but wish they put at least one or two retail spots.

Anchor centre is also complete on 22nd and Camelback. Low rise buildings with some decently attractive cooper accents, but not urban in any way. Was surprised to see so much parking flanking Camelback- even the one story buildings in the area seem to be built up to the street. Retail is supposedly included but I can't magne where- perhaps they're counting Ruth's?

floc34 Apr 24, 2013 9:07 AM

^Ruth's Chris has closed it's Biltmore location, the only one left in AZ is on Scottsdale Rd.... :shrug:

exit2lef Apr 24, 2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floc34 (Post 6102861)
^Ruth's Chris has closed it's Biltmore location, the only one left in AZ is on Scottsdale Rd.... :shrug:

That vacancy wil be filled by another restaurant in the near future: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...nix-ruths.html

PHX31 Apr 24, 2013 4:37 PM

Where is this nearly entire block of great existing old historic warehouses and old storefronts located in downtown Phoenix?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...rep/foxten.jpg

Why, it's 5th Ave to 6th Ave, Washington St to Adams St... Better known as:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ep/foxten2.jpg

Fox 10!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ep/foxten3.jpg

We always talk about the fortress that is the old 12 News building, thankfully that is getting slightly rehabbed. I think this is an even bigger abomination. It's not in quite as high profile of a location, but it could definitely be a cool stretch of historic storefronts. Maybe someday Fox can renovate the facades of their buildings. I think it would be a good idea for them - they'd have a great looking building, and maybe they could do something like the new channel 12 news building, ie, have a window looking out to the street behind their news desk. People leaving the courthouse or a show at the Comerica (Dodge?) theater could get on TV.

Why does it seem like everything our city has done through the years was the worst possible thing that could have been done and the areas with potential are full of people and landowners that seem to try as hard as possible to not be cool?

pbenjamin Apr 24, 2013 4:37 PM

Looks like ASU forget to mention this notion of playing football games at Chase Field to the Diamondbacks organization. Maybe this will result in having the September/October games played in Glendale and the later games at Chase.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/...struction.html

phxSUNSfan Apr 24, 2013 4:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 6103208)
Looks like ASU forget to mention this notion of playing football games at Chase Field to the Diamondbacks organization. Maybe this will result in having the September/October games played in Glendale and the later games at Chase.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/...struction.html

Yeah, that's why I was skeptical when others mentioned that it was already decided. We just know what Dr. Crow would like and not what is actually going to happen. I still think that some games will be split between Chase and UofP. I can see early season games and a game or two with other Pac-12 teams in the larger UofP...say the Territorial Cup game between ASU and UofA at the end of the season in November. And if ASU makes and hosts the Pac-12 Championship Game, that would likely have to be played in a real football stadium (I'm sure the Pac-12 would have a say in that).

gymratmanaz Apr 24, 2013 5:28 PM

I bet as many as possible at Chase....Like they would pass on the revenue?!?!?!!!!!!

phxSUNSfan Apr 24, 2013 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 6103269)
I bet as many as possible at Chase....Like they would pass on the revenue?!?!?!!!!!!

Looks like the DBacks organization is opposed to it. Dbacks President Hall is an ASU alum but he doesn't think the logistics can be worked out during the regular season which lasts until late September. So I can see the September home games played in UofP Stadium then in October, have a few ASU games. It should be easier to work out the issues in the postseason. :tup:

After baseball season I can see all the remaining games played at Chase with the Territorial Cup played in Glendale. After baseball season the Dbacks aren't in charge of the field or scheduling, that would be left up to Select Artists Associates. I bet they have already worked out a schedule with ASU for November games.

Jjs5056 Apr 24, 2013 8:15 PM

Quote:

Sorry, the sign is still up at the Biltmore location.

KEVINphx Apr 24, 2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6103512)

Huh? What is your point? The place is clearly empty on the inside and someone else posted a link to a story about the restaurant that will replace it.

It is closed for good.

HooverDam Apr 24, 2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVINphx (Post 6103671)
Huh? What is your point?

The point is, when one is driving by and they see a sign up and aren't doing an investigation, they may think a place is still open.

Be nice :)

Jjs5056 Apr 24, 2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVINphx (Post 6103671)
Huh? What is your point? The place is clearly empty on the inside and someone else posted a link to a story about the restaurant that will replace it.

It is closed for good.

What is your problem? The Anchor Centre construction signs that I passed every day on my way to work promoted retail, so I was wondering whether Ruth's was the only retail spot or if there were more. Someone mentioned that it's actually closed, so my "point" was to simply apologize for being mistaken and explain why I was confused: because the sign is still up. Next time, I'll be sure to look inside all businesses throughout the week at different hours to verify their status before ever making such a terrible mistake again!

I wasn't implying that it was open or reopening, but that's really irrelevant anyway. My original post was to provide an update that the Centre has completed construction and I was simply wondering if anyone knew anything more about the retail mix it would be offering.

alexico Apr 25, 2013 1:06 AM

Quote:

my old street corner lost several steak joints in 4 years
-Morton's closed
-Ruth Chris is now closing
-M and S closed - I recently ate the location in Chicago, it was decent
-Houston's became Hillstone

PHX31 Apr 25, 2013 1:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexico (Post 6103850)
my old street corner lost several steak joints in 4 years
-Morton's closed
-Ruth Chris is now closing
-M and S closed - I recently ate the location in Chicago, it was decent
-Houston's became Hillstone

Houston's and Hillstone are the same thing. Same (slightly expanded) menu.

RichTempe Apr 25, 2013 11:31 PM

Well they've finished joining up the two lots on the SWC of 1st Ave and Roosevelt. Looks like there's been some on street parking added too. Now let's see how long it takes to get something built there. :uhh:

http://imageshack.us/a/img819/7500/sam0259e.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/6787/sam0262m.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/2131/sam0260n.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/1658/sam0261mt.jpg

phxSUNSfan Apr 26, 2013 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichTempe (Post 6105240)
Looks like there's been some on street parking added too.

I don't think that is on-street parking...I think that is a bus pull-in. Looks like there is a concrete slab off of the sidewalk in the picture above that will be the foundation for a bus stop shelter. I could be wrong though because that slab would be nearer the rear of the bus when it pulls in.

RichTempe Apr 26, 2013 8:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 6105665)

I don't think that is on-street parking...I think that is a bus pull-in. Looks like there is a concrete slab off of the sidewalk in the picture above that will be the foundation for a bus stop shelter. I could be wrong though because that slab would be nearer the rear of the bus when it pulls in.

You could be right, although it would be a new stop since the Roosevelt/Grant route 10 doesn't currently travel west of Central. (It goes south along 1st Ave and then back up north along Central). It looks like it could accomodate about 6 cars parallel parked so it's a loooong pullout. The truck and trailer parked there in the pics is approximately as long as a bus.

phxSUNSfan Apr 26, 2013 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichTempe (Post 6105794)
You could be right, although it would be a new stop since the Roosevelt/Grant route 10 doesn't currently travel west of Central. (It goes south along 1st Ave and then back up north along Central). It looks like it could accomodate about 6 cars parallel parked so it's a loooong pullout. The truck and trailer parked there in the pics is approximately as long as a bus.

It is hard to tell how long it is from that angle, but I ran by it this morning and I'm going with your first guess and think it is more on-street parking.

dtnphx Apr 26, 2013 4:21 PM

Wasn't there news about 2 years ago of either an LGO, VIG or some other restaurant planning to build there and then pulled out?

phxSUNSfan Apr 26, 2013 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 6106143)
Wasn't there news about 2 years ago of either an LGO, VIG or some other restaurant planning to build there and then pulled out?

A restaurant is still part of the project, just not sure which one. It's not the Vig since they are going into the same area as Cibo, but on 4nd Ave: https://www.facebook.com/TheFillmoreVig.

KEVINphx Apr 26, 2013 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6103760)
What is your problem? The Anchor Centre construction signs that I passed every day on my way to work promoted retail, so I was wondering whether Ruth's was the only retail spot or if there were more. Someone mentioned that it's actually closed, so my "point" was to simply apologize for being mistaken and explain why I was confused: because the sign is still up. Next time, I'll be sure to look inside all businesses throughout the week at different hours to verify their status before ever making such a terrible mistake again!

I wasn't implying that it was open or reopening, but that's really irrelevant anyway. My original post was to provide an update that the Centre has completed construction and I was simply wondering if anyone knew anything more about the retail mix it would be offering.

Sorry - but when you posted the following in response to someone stating that the Biltmore location was closed;
Quote:

, I assumed you had glossed past the conversation regarding this subject.

I also pointed out that it can be clearly seen void of tables and interior decoration when simply driving east-bound on Camelback - I did not " look inside all businesses throughout the week at different hours to verify their status"

If you were simply explaining yourself, then I apologize as I took it to be you correcting the other poster that it was indeed open as you had just seen the sign still at the location.

Either way, no hard feelings meant by it!