SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

RCDC Mar 23, 2020 4:40 AM

Hopefully this will blow over soon so we can get back to raping the planet for profit.

bnk Mar 23, 2020 5:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCDC (Post 8870794)
Hopefully this will blow over soon so we can get back to raping the planet for profit.

Yeah

I’ll right you a letter

So you van continue to flying overseeabd Every one will Judy get back to work.

And rest you in a few days

Btw I’d that what your mommy told you you precious snowflake

If adore tivswbd yiu a free clips of fifth culver if yuh van handsel it

jmecklenborg Mar 23, 2020 6:14 AM

It's safe to say that the working class and the abject poor are not taking social distancing seriously. All of the drug dealers are at their usual spots, as are the working girls. I work at a restaurant on the weekends and our carryout and delivery business is serving a lot of parties with sheet pizzas and 50+ wing orders.

Escaping to vacation homes or just "working remotely" from your primary residence is a privilege of the white collar world.

Pedestrian Mar 23, 2020 6:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8870741)
I'm wrapping up my MBA and re-entering the workforce in a few months and man, what a terrible time to reintegrate. I may end up working out of state for a while until things recover here because i totally agree..we are screwed.

It occurred to me the other day: Millennials have been p*ssed at the rest of us for "The Great Recession" and the skyrocketing cost of college since they got old enough to think about such matters (around the age Greta Thunberg got started). Now just as they are finding careers and getting them off the launching pad, THIS.

The only thing to compare it with, really, is the so-called "Greatest Generation" that went through the Depression and then WW II. But to become known as a new "greatest" they'd really have to grow up quickly and cut out the "party's not over 'till it's over" mentality currently displayed all over the media. I hope they are up to it.

Centropolis Mar 23, 2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8870846)
It occurred to me the other day: Millennials have been p*ssed at the rest of us for "The Great Recession" and the skyrocketing cost of college since they got old enough to think about such matters (around the age Greta Thunberg got started). Now just as they are finding careers and getting them off the launching pad, THIS.

The only thing to compare it with, really, is the so-called "Greatest Generation" that went through the Depression and then WW II. But to become known as a new "greatest" they'd really have to grow up quickly and cut out the "party's not over 'till it's over" mentality currently displayed all over the media. I hope they are up to it.

my career path is just now recovering from the stumbling start i had when i entered the professional workforce months before the great recession (after having to scramble and get a second stem-related degree after realizing that years of boomers telling me “you just need a degree...any degree” was bad advice). i’ve had to spend years doing the work of entry level staff as they were laid off (and later just never rehired) plus be expected to take on retiring boomers responsibility - all without the “normal” pay progression.

i dont know what you are seeing in the media but those are early twenty-somethings and not millennials...they were children during the recession... im looking towards 40.

Centropolis Mar 23, 2020 10:53 AM

today i have to go do entry level fieldwork (deemed “essential”) because we’ve laid off entry level staff. the only thing going for me is that my salary was so fucking low during the recession that my billing rate is STILL depressed.

Centropolis Mar 23, 2020 10:57 AM

other people on here say the 70s/80s were tough but that doesn't jive with my parents experience as professionals then, even in the rustbelt. it WAS NOT like this for college educated boomers.

jtown,man Mar 23, 2020 11:24 AM

I don't understand why people think that the O&G industry is seriously screwed. Screwed in the short-term? No doubt. But in the long-term? absolutely not.

Life as we know it will go back to normal, therefore gas usage will go back to normal. Not only that, I think there will be a huge surge in gas usage right after all this is over as people rebook trips etc. Also, people like me who never owned O&G stocks now do because I see some medium-term profit from them.

Crawford Mar 23, 2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmecklenborg (Post 8870824)
It's safe to say that the working class and the abject poor are not taking social distancing seriously. All of the drug dealers are at their usual spots, as are the working girls. I work at a restaurant on the weekends and our carryout and delivery business is serving a lot of parties with sheet pizzas and 50+ wing orders.

I picked up pizza from a relatively upscale joint on Saturday, and a couple was carrying 8 pizzas out. And the proprietor said delivery was booming (not surprising). But clearly 8 pizzas indicates social gathering. And who doesn't just get that delivered? I doubt it was trying to save on fee/tip because this pizza place costs 2x that of typical places.

10023 Mar 23, 2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Or they just really don’t care if more older folks die this year than normal.

ChiMIchael Mar 23, 2020 1:04 PM

Quote:

I don't know why the media finds it hard to distinguish Millenials from Gen-Zer. Most millenials are too old and have too many responsibilities to "party 'til it's over." The people the keep going to beaches and bars are of a younger generation.

Can some answer why the recovery rates are so deplorable in the West?

niwell Mar 23, 2020 1:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centropolis (Post 8870901)
my career path is just now recovering from the stumbling start i had when i entered the professional workforce months before the great recession (after having to scramble and get a second stem-related degree after realizing that years of boomers telling me “you just need a degree...any degree” was bad advice). i’ve had to spend years doing the work of entry level staff as they were laid off (and later just never rehired) plus be expected to take on retiring boomers responsibility - all without the “normal” pay progression.

i dont know what you are seeing in the media but those are early twenty-somethings and not millennials...they were children during the recession... im looking towards 40.

Yep. The youngest millenials are approaching mid 20s, with the oldest almost 40. Many in my age range had to deal with graduating around the great recession and stumbling through a host of internships and other underpaid "professional" work (as you describe) before beginning to have anything approaching a stable career. I'm personally in a pretty good place but for a lot of people I know this has the potential to shatter all of that, and in some cases already has.

hauntedheadnc Mar 23, 2020 2:21 PM

Apparently, closing up shop and boarding up the windows isn't just fashionable in big cities. Photos have been circulating on local Twitter accounts of several businesses on Haywood Road in West Asheville closed and boarded up for the duration... However long that may be.

Meanwhile at Firestorm Books, also on Haywood Road:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETjzbTKX...jpg&name=small
Source.

subterranean Mar 23, 2020 2:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niwell (Post 8870937)
Yep. The youngest millenials are approaching mid 20s, with the oldest almost 40. Many in my age range had to deal with graduating around the great recession and stumbling through a host of internships and other underpaid "professional" work (as you describe) before beginning to have anything approaching a stable career. I'm personally in a pretty good place but for a lot of people I know this has the potential to shatter all of that, and in some cases already has.

I turned 39 this year and this is so close to my personal experience it's eerie.

SIGSEGV Mar 23, 2020 2:41 PM

My research group is starting twice-daily zoom calls just to say hi and pretend like we're in a real collegial environment :haha:

subterranean Mar 23, 2020 2:48 PM

I'm a planner and we meet every morning via teams for morale. It's actually kind of nice, and I'm an introvert.

SteveD Mar 23, 2020 2:54 PM

Georgia

It seems like Georgia has a "Stay at Home" order announcement coming at 5 today.

As a work-from-home independent consultant this will bring my ability to earn a living to a screeching halt. Every job I ever have requires traveling to a project site either by car or air.

MonkeyRonin Mar 23, 2020 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gentlepuppies (Post 8870763)
Anyone working in architecture feeling impacts on job security? I've been working at home for the last month (2 weeks quarantine after a vacation, then our firm started working from home 2 weeks ago), and I'm on some massive government contract, so nothing so far, but who knows. I was originally thinking of quitting to do smaller project types, but now maybe that will wait lol.

Yeah. Construction has mostly ground to a halt due to shut downs in the supply chain, and most of our income comes once a project is completed; and so no construction means no income.

There's still plenty of design work to do, but with limited cash flow, we're going to be temporarily laid off in the next 2-3 weeks unless job sites can get back to work.

sopas ej Mar 23, 2020 3:03 PM

To maximize social distancing at my job, our office has given people the option to work four 10-hour days, with one day off during the week, with people having different days off during the week. Today is the first day of that.

Even though I have my own office and it's in a corner of the building away from others, my boss gave me that option---which I declined. I already consider 8 hours + 1 hour of lunch a really long day, let alone working 10 hours plus 1 hour of lunch (though people were given the half hour lunch option too of course)...

...Plus, 10 hours is a really long time to fake it on those days when you really don't feel like working and you just fake it!!! :P

Steely Dan Mar 23, 2020 3:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 8870999)
It seems like Georgia has a "Stay at Home" order announcement coming at 5 today.

michigan's governor is expected to announce "stay at home" statewide today as well.

what is that now, like 10 states that are officially "stay at home" statewide?

dominoes....... _ _ _ / l l l l l