SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

exit2lef May 5, 2017 8:02 PM

As long as we're being nostalgic, I have good memories of the French Corner at Uptown Plaza and Mes Amis in Scottsdale. Both are long gone.

exit2lef May 5, 2017 10:28 PM

RIP Tom's Tavern

"After 87 years, Tom's Tavern has closed."

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-downtown.html

This is unfortunate. I've had mixed experiences there over the years, but the new owner was trying to do some good things. I wonder if the closure has anything to do with the Renaissance renovations.

vwwolfe May 6, 2017 1:53 PM

Noticed a lot of Heavy machinery on the Macayo's site when I went by this morning.

azsunsurfer May 7, 2017 1:48 AM

Toms Tavern was always disgusting, even after their "re-launch"

Jjs5056 May 9, 2017 4:05 AM

I am not loving the news about the San Carlos; on that 1/4th of a block, there was Rice Paper, Seamus, Barbershop, Convenience Store, Phone Fix, Chiropractor, and space from the former Ghost Lounge. Full blocks downtown don't even have that much retail, which is what makes that intersection feel so much different. I would hate to see these small local businesses pushed out for yet another restaurant which ends up taking the majority of the storefronts; as exit2lef mentioned, services and goods need to be mixed into the bars and eateries.

I would prefer the San Carlos stay as is, with a new Ghost Lounge, and instead have the County kicked out of the Security Buildings. The more modern tower could house a small retail space, and the historic corner building is almost as wasted as the Ho right now. It would make gorgeous condos, and retail like a Poisoned Pen, Bike Cellar, and Market would be great additions.

As for all of the talk about garages -- for the Suns, Quicken Loans, etc. -- it seems like that's the last part DT has to "win." There is a surplus of parking; the City should be able to find QL spaces. And, fuck Sarver. If he needs a garage, why couldn't he wait and have left the Madison and St. James alone? No standalone garages should be built downtown, period. Retail makes it 1% less offensive, but it is incredibly hard to sell spaces beneath empty levels of concrete vs. floors of residents or workers.

With the talk of a new arena or renovations, this would be very short-sighted. A new/renovated arena in its current configuration could easily house parking underground, and in podiums on either side at the base of a hotel, condo tower, etc.

Jjs5056 May 9, 2017 4:23 AM

Also, glad to see the old Tavern being leased out finally. Baron did its best to kill 3rd Street, but this, Songbird, and MilkBar help balance it out. The Knipe House RFP mentions moving the home as an option.. I wouldn't mind seeing it, or any of the standalone bungalows scattered around, moved onto the property south of Songbird. In the meantime, if ASU breaks ground on PBC before 5th St can attempt a comeback, that could be the death knell. I just don't see how In-Patient Cancer facilities could ever integrate into Roosevelt Row.

Not lovin' the news about Renaissance Square. If the lobbies are essentially turned into business amenities, that would be a huge street-killer. The current layout is not ideal, with many of the shops hidden in the courtyard, but getting active uses along Adams, 1st Ave, Washington, and Central is important given its location. Wells Fargo's lack of retail on its superblock is bad enough.

Last comments... so glad Welnick has a tenant. With The Van Buren theatre renovation, the restoration of WVB is really cool to see. I hope this kicks off some interest in the old Baptist Church, and perhaps additional projects to restore buildings like the Firestone and the block between 5th-6th Ave. It'd be great if one day, WVB was reduced to 1 travel lane with larger shaded sidewalks and parking as more modern towers fill in around these reuse projects. A unique-looking condo would be great next to Welnick (a la Summit), and if just ONE HQ would choose DT, 211 W Monroe will likely house a substantial mixed use project.

fawd May 10, 2017 6:01 PM

The 'Flower Shop' on monroe is now open. Poked my head in, pretty cool on the inside. More of a 'trinket' shop. Can't remember the name of it....

If you have ever been to Coronado, Ca - this very much reminds me of the little 'artsy' shops along Orange Ave.

fawd May 10, 2017 6:04 PM

FYI: Downtown Phoenix Inc. has recently been approached with the opportunity to facilitate the opening of a dog park in downtown. They are asking downtown residents to fill out a survey as part of the research process before moving forward.

Basically somewhere within the 3rd ave and 7th street, from Filmore to Jackson St.

All I know! Cheers!

fawd May 11, 2017 3:24 AM

Rice Paper, in the San Carlos, is no more. Completely emptied out the space. Huge bummer.

exit2lef May 11, 2017 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 7801805)
Rice Paper, in the San Carlos, is no more. Completely emptied out the space. Huge bummer.

I stopped by the San Carlos this morning to see if Eddie the barber is still there. He is -- for now. Word is that the hotel is not renewing leases, although some tenants can go month-to-month if they wish. Rice Paper's owner apparently did not find that arrangement attractive and elected to leave. A new convenience store with a new owner willing to go month-to-month is opening to replace the one that closed. Also, there's a sign in the empty space between Rice Paper and Seamus' advertising an opportunity for a restaurant or bakery. I suspect this building is still being groomed for an imminent change in ownership, even if the last attempt at a sale fell through.

Phxguy May 11, 2017 7:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7802163)
I stopped by the San Carlos this morning to see if Eddie the barber is still there. He is -- for now. Word is that the hotel is not renewing leases, although some tenants can go month-to-month if they wish. Rice Paper's owner apparently did not find that arrangement attractive and elected to leave. A new convenience store with a new owner willing to go month-to-month is opening to replace the one that closed. Also, there's a sign in the empty space between Rice Paper and Seamus' advertising an opportunity for a restaurant or bakery. I suspect this building is still being groomed for an imminent change in ownership, even if the last attempt at a sale fell through.

I just hope any new sort of ownership maintains the building as a hotel. It's a vital piece of history in a city that doesn't recognize historical value. But if need be, I'll take apartments any day versus sitting empty for decades like the Professional building.

On the closing of Rice Paper, I'm glad it's leaving. Most of the time I walked by it was closed or mostly empty. This is hugely disappointing as this intersection has only recently been thrust into vibrancy and they opted not to keep up. I hope whatever replaces it is either in line with the theme of the hotel (like a Hollywood-esque cafe with late hours) or a restaurant like any of the recent additions downtown (ie. Dust Cutter or Nook.) The retail portion has been covered, don't feel the need to reiterate what has already been said. But anything besides a coffee shop, salon, or yoga studio is fine with me.

ASU Diablo May 15, 2017 5:34 PM

The Van Buren Music Venue Announces August Opening

can't wait for this to open!

http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/20...ugust-opening/

http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/wp...ender-feat.jpg

Obadno May 15, 2017 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7805753)

Isnt the state 48 brewery going in across the street too? and the Old Church is still being renovated around the block?

I would love to see downtown redevelop going west along van Buren over to grand/Capitol Mall. That area seems the best possibility for future office and very high density construction as opposed to the Warehouse, Garfield and Roosevelt which are either low rise or residential areas primarily.

Buckeye Native 001 May 15, 2017 6:34 PM

Not that my opinion amounts to anything, but I was down in Phoenix a few weekends ago and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of street activity in Downtown now compared to even five or six years ago (I was down by Chase Tower on a Saturday night around 6:30pm).

ASU Diablo May 15, 2017 6:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7805793)
Isnt the state 48 brewery going in across the street too? and the Old Church is still being renovated around the block?

I would love to see downtown redevelop going west along van Buren over to grand/Capitol Mall. That area seems the best possibility for future office and very high density construction as opposed to the Warehouse, Garfield and Roosevelt which are either low rise or residential areas primarily.

Correct. That corner should be pretty awesome once State 48 opens up and other retail fills up at Welnick.

muertecaza May 15, 2017 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7805753)

Definitely exciting, and a good slate of concerts to kick off the venue.

downtownphxguy12 May 15, 2017 8:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 7805830)
Not that my opinion amounts to anything, but I was down in Phoenix a few weekends ago and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of street activity in Downtown now compared to even five or six years ago (I was down by Chase Tower on a Saturday night around 6:30pm).

You are correct! I've lived downtown since 2000. amazed at the change. I was at the Dressing Room on roosevelt (1/2 happy hour all day sat/sun $4 bloody mary's) it was full as well as coffee shop next door. And there was a aerial yoga class in monorchid. Felt like we almost have a real city.

Not looking forward to the summer where things do slow up a bit.

Didn't realize it, but the new welcome diner is an actual mobile dinner that is currently being made in Georgia (according to cute girl at the Pueblo(plant store across the street from gallo blanco)

LocoPhoenician May 16, 2017 2:01 PM

Looks like the Whining Pig is getting ready to open. Construct finished up last week and they look business ready on the inside. Can't wait to try them I was disappointed by the food at The Park.

downtownphxguy12 May 16, 2017 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocoPhoenician (Post 7806605)
Looks like the Whining Pig is getting ready to open. Construct finished up last week and they look business ready on the inside. Can't wait to try them I was disappointed by the food at The Park.

Where are they located?

ASU Diablo May 16, 2017 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocoPhoenician (Post 7806605)

According to their Instagram, they are open as of yesterday. Looking at their pics, the interior looks great. And it's located in the Colliers Center...next to Fed Ex Kinkos on the 2nd St side (under that funky location underneath the stairs)