SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 850 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

Zapatan Oct 16, 2018 4:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 8347022)
I counted 66 floors of office space. So it’s 69 stories instead of 75? That’s 828’ to 897’.

In the recent picture posted by spyguy?

It's from last year when the building was 70+ floors and 950+ feet.

aaron38 Oct 16, 2018 6:02 AM

The quote was 60 floors of office space, not total height equivalent.

Zapatan Oct 16, 2018 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 8347081)
The quote was 60 floors of office space, not total height equivalent.

I'll have to find the quote earlier in this thread but it sounded like they were quoting the height of the whole building.

People don't generally quote height figures of just occupied space/height. The wording also didn't seem to imply that, it was something like "likely to be about 800 feet (about 60 stories) tall."

WonderlandPark2 Oct 16, 2018 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8346885)
Either way it's an old design in that case.

Kind of a shame, I really like it. 60 stories of modern office space though would usually end up at least 800 feet. If the figure is referring to the top occupied floor we could still have an 850+ footer. It's a let down, especially considering the potential of that site, but still nice for the area.

The floor-ceiling heights seem way to small

Salesforce in SF is 61 stories with a roof height of 970 ft.

I can't imagine a tech tenant would settle for low ceiling heights.

The Lurker Oct 16, 2018 8:27 PM

300 N. LaSalle: 60 floors, 785 feet.

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

Steely Dan Oct 16, 2018 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderlandPark2 (Post 8347424)
Salesforce in SF is 61 stories with a roof height of 970 ft.

that averages out to a 15.9' floor-to-floor height, which is on the high side.

most of chicago's newish office towers tend to have average floor-to-floor heights in the ~14' range.

Zapatan Oct 16, 2018 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lurker (Post 8347703)
300 N. LaSalle: 60 floors, 785 feet.

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

Right, I just imagined that Salesforce would maybe want some higher ceilings. But it could certainly still be that high.

I'm just trying to cushion the blow/disappointment of this tower being only 800 feet by convincing myself it may be a little taller. :sly:

If that's the case it won't even be really that much taller than the East Tower which is super lame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8347710)
that averages out to a 15.9' floor-to-floor height, which is on the high side.

most of chicago's newish office towers tend to have average floor-to-floor heights in the ~14' range.

Yea and that's not counting the enclosed crown on Salesforce which also houses some mechanical equipment so if it does end up 14' per floor (840' total) it could still potentially reach 900.

r18tdi Oct 17, 2018 5:33 PM

In somewhat related (and amusing) news, residents in SF are petitioning Salesforce tower to light up its LED crown like the eye of Sauron for Halloween.

The CEO isn't a fan, says Curbed.

Notyrview Oct 17, 2018 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 8348479)
In somewhat related (and amusing) news, residents in SF are petitioning Salesforce tower to light up its LED crown like the eye of Sauron for Halloween.

The CEO isn't a fan, says Curbed.

What a stick in the mud

left of center Oct 25, 2018 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lurker (Post 8357912)
Rough day for our number thumpers. First WPS and now this? Not gonna lie though I was looking forward to Chicago having two entries in the supertall construction section. It's looking pretty unlikely that will happen before Vista is complete.

Well shit I'm just over 6 feet tall. When I die you guys can preserve me in amber and stick me up there.

Oh damn, WPS was also had a height reduction? (or I guess more accurately, announced a height that was below 1000 ft?)

The Lurker Oct 26, 2018 1:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8358119)
Oh damn, WPS was also had a height reduction? (or I guess more accurately, announced a height that was below 1000 ft?)

Right, people here kind of just decided it was going to be a supertall but unfortunately now we know that probably wont be the case.

Zapatan Oct 26, 2018 2:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lurker (Post 8358240)
Right, people here kind of just decided it was going to be a supertall but unfortunately now we know that probably wont be the case.

It was rumored that 950' was the top floor, therefore almost certainly a supertall.

But yea sounds like not anymore, although we're still awaiting confirmation :(

left of center Oct 26, 2018 5:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lurker (Post 8358240)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8358317)
It was rumored that 950' was the top floor, therefore almost certainly a supertall.

But yea sounds like not anymore, although we're still awaiting confirmation :(

What is the rumored height? I didn't come across the post that mentioned it. Apologies in advance for going OT.

Steely Dan Oct 26, 2018 1:25 PM

^ it's not really "rumored" at this point. some exec at hines was directly quoted in a recent article that the tower was now planned to be around 800' tall.

Notyrview Oct 26, 2018 2:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8358119)

Not a criticism at all - but i don't know how you missed this - must have been on vacay? This is the one height reduction that really stings mostly bc the developer is bailing on their promises, as if this were any lot on any random city block. They were all like Wolf Point will be a marquee development for a marquee location, we're in this for the long haul, blah blah blah.

SteelMonkey Oct 26, 2018 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8358529)
^ it's not really "rumored" at this point. some exec at hines was directly quoted in a recent article that the tower was now planned to be around 800' tall.

From Curbed last month.....

"Wolf Point’s south tower is zoned to rise 950 feet, but Greg Van Schaack, a managing director at project developer Hines Interest, told the Tribune on Wednesday that the upcoming office building is likely to be about 800 feet—or about 60 stories—tall. Earlier descriptions of Wolf Point South hinted at a mixed-use building with office, hotel, and residential components. It is unclear if that is still the case."

Handro Oct 26, 2018 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelMonkey (Post 8358640)
From Curbed last month.....

"Wolf Point’s south tower is zoned to rise 950 feet, but Greg Van Schaack, a managing director at project developer Hines Interest, told the Tribune on Wednesday that the upcoming office building is likely to be about 800 feet—or about 60 stories—tall. Earlier descriptions of Wolf Point South hinted at a mixed-use building with office, hotel, and residential components. It is unclear if that is still the case."

844ft/58 stories to be exact.

Steely Dan Oct 26, 2018 3:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8358658)

ohhhhh, actual numbers!

your source?

Zapatan Oct 26, 2018 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8358658)

That's a slight bump back in the right direction :shrug:

Hopefully the height cuts of WPS and OCS will be made up for by other upcoming projects. It's crazy to me those developers didn't take advantage of all the space, anyone know why exactly?

Steely Dan Oct 26, 2018 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8358674)
anyone know why exactly?

in the construction world, the answer is ALWAYS "money".