SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

ArteVandelay May 9, 2008 4:49 AM

In addition to all the above, as of now the CTA still plans on starting a rehab project on the Brown Line (or Ravenswood) branch as well. So on any given weekend this summer the Blue Line will be closed toward OHare, minimum one of the two Red Line subway tubes will be closed, Lake/Wabash branch of the loop will be closed, numerous Brownline stations will be closed (ongoing), and Brownline will be single tracked or closed.

Huberman has done more to overhaul the rail infrastructure since he started than the previous administration did in its entireity. And it badly needs it.

ardecila May 9, 2008 5:51 AM

Not that I disapprove of Huberman's Herculean efforts to get the system back into proper working order, but all I can say is that I'm glad the work will be mostly occurring during the summer, when more people have the option of biking/walking to work, and many students will not be making the commute to school.

Now for a better question - where is the funding for the slow zone work coming from? Is CTA simply borrowing the money? Or are they shifting it from the New Starts projects? That seems likely, since I haven't heard a peep about any of the line extensions, the Circle Line, Mid-City, or Carroll Street since Huberman took office. The only expansion that's been mentioned is the BRT upgrade, which is federally-funded in full.

LaSalle.St.Station May 9, 2008 7:31 AM

^ i think with the Transit bailout the CTA has xcess rev ( for now) to cover capital needs....

jjk1103 May 9, 2008 1:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 3540118)
As far as I know, the Dan Ryan Red Line rehab work is done. There might be a few random checklist items remaining, but all major construction and delays are over. Same goes for the reconstruction of the Dan Ryan itself.

Currently, the Red Line has a track rehab going on in the subway, and between Diversey and Wellington on the North Side, that should also be done by the end of 2008. After that, track rehab will work on portions further north.

The Blue Line has two projects going on - a signal system replacement and a track rehab. The track rehab is expected to be completed by the end of 2008. The signal project might extend into 2009, since the track work is getting priority, but I don't think it will cause significant delays.

If major construction on the city's two busiest lines wasn't enough, there is also a rehab project that's set to start work on the Lake/Wabash half of the Loop, so all trains will be shifted to the other half (Van Buren/Wells). Service patterns will change while construction is ongoing. The interesting thing about this is that, when the Lake/Wabash side is closed, Brown and Orange Lines will essentially be combined, with trains operating from Kimball to Midway. The Pink Line will not go to the Loop, and will terminate at Ashland/Lake. This project is also planned to complete by the end of 2008.

In short, 2008 will be absolute transit hell, between North Side 3-tracking, city-wide slow zone work, and a few other projects, with every line affected except Yellow. But come January, the system should improve by a tremendous amount. In the meantime, improvements will come in the form of increased Bus Tracker, new Brown Line stations opening, and maybe the installation of station improvements like the ad/info screens. The Loop closures will also make it a bit easier for the Wabash repainting/streetscaping to continue.

Complete information can be found here, along with links to the latest closure/delay updates. http://www.transitchicago.com/news/motion/szep.html

...thanks !!! ....I copied that link.......I can give visitors some decent info now !!

the urban politician May 9, 2008 1:54 PM

I'm not sure if I've ever experienced the CTA slowzones. How bad were they?

The last time I rode the Blue line (OHare branch) was Fall 2005. The last time I rode the north side Red Line was Spring 2006.

Were there slow zones back then? I just don't recall the system being all that slow at that time.

VivaLFuego May 9, 2008 3:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 3540327)

Now for a better question - where is the funding for the slow zone work coming from? Is CTA simply borrowing the money? Or are they shifting it from the New Starts projects? That seems likely, since I haven't heard a peep about any of the line extensions, the Circle Line, Mid-City, or Carroll Street since Huberman took office. The only expansion that's been mentioned is the BRT upgrade, which is federally-funded in full.

Yeah, it's being paid for with bonds backed by future expected federal formula funds. i.e. borrowing against the future, with interest, and leaving the impending atrocious funding shortage for the next poor sucker and the mayor who appoints him. New Starts planning money is generally a separate pot.

There is a reason the previous administration didn't go this route in putting the entire system under construction at the same time... it's at least a highly debatable point as to the correct course of action, but the "conspiracy"-minded would surely see this as a Daley imperative to get the system tip-top ASAP for the Olympic bid.

Of course, our local media are completely ignorant of public finance, so no one needs to worry about any questions like ardec's being asked...

OhioGuy May 9, 2008 3:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 3540118)
In short, 2008 will be absolute transit hell, between North Side 3-tracking, city-wide slow zone work, and a few other projects, with every line affected except Yellow.

Lovely. The year I sell my car and switch entirely to transit is when the inconveniences hit their climaxes. But it will be nice when the day comes that the L isn't the pathetic embarrassment it currently is.

(but I'll never believe the day will come when the L cars are clean enough to eat off of as Huberman suggested they would be) :P

k1052 May 9, 2008 3:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 3540706)

The last time I rode the Blue line (OHare branch) was Fall 2005. The last time I rode the north side Red Line was Spring 2006.

Were there slow zones back then? I just don't recall the system being all that slow at that time.

The O'Hare branch wasn't slow zoned until after the Blue Line derailment in 2006 which brought to light the terrible track conditions and lax inspection.

Slow zones on the Red Line, both on the Northside Main and State Street subay had been on the rise for the last several years. Nearly 50% of the route north of Roosevelt was slow zoned due to track deterioration.

However Huberman is paying for this it needed to be done. I don't blame him for new slow zones popping up (brown line), they are only being found because track inspections have been stepped up and are using new equipment to locate unsafe trackage.

emathias May 9, 2008 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 3540706)

There were some slowzones at the time, but one of the problems uncovered as part of the federal investigation following the 2006 Blue Line subway derailment was that, for a number of different reasons, portions of rail that SHOULD have been declared slow zones and/or repaired were simply not being labeled slow in reporting. That was the proximate cause of that derailment, and after that there was a huge push to identify all the slow zones so that they could be fixed and be run safely and at full speed.

I suspect that some train operators knew this and intentionally slowed their trains in unlabeled, but obviously defective portions of track, which led to some areas being slower than expected. But when the full identification of slow zones was finally established, a huge portion of the routes became official slow zones. Coupled with the Red Line Dan Ryan rehab and the Brown Line station expansion work, the track rebilitation has created long portions of slower service. However, the Dan Ryan Red Line has completed, and the Brown Line is ever-closer to being completed. The majority of the non-Brown Line slow zones will be eliminated by the end of this year, so 2009 will be a lot faster for many trips, and when they go back to 4 tracks at Belmont and Fullerton, and all the slow-zone elimination work is completed, riding CTA rail in 2010 promises to be a miraculously faster experience compared to 2007. Then maybe they can return their focus on expansion plans, like the Clinton Street Subway or the Circle Line.

emathias May 9, 2008 3:30 PM

Am I correct in remembering that the track rehabs in both subways include replacing wood ties with concrete ties? Shouldn't that help prevent tracks from deteriorating to slowzones again too quickly?

OhioGuy May 9, 2008 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 3540908)
Then maybe they can return their focus on expansion plans, like the Clinton Street Subway or the Circle Line.

There is talk of a Clinton Street subway?

k1052 May 9, 2008 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 3540917)
Am I correct in remembering that the track rehabs in both subways include replacing wood ties with concrete ties? Shouldn't that help prevent tracks from deteriorating to slowzones again too quickly?

They have replaced the wooden ties and metal spikes with concrete, rubber dampened tie plates, and rail clips. Should last considerably longer than the old style with less upkeep cost.

Haworthia May 9, 2008 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioGuy (Post 3540929)

It's an idea that has been floated around. Look here for instance:
http://www.chicago-l.org/articles/ClintonSubway.html

I would love for such a thing to happen. It would really help tie in Olgilvie and Union Station to the rest of the transit system. That means better access to Metra and Amtrak.

Chicago3rd May 9, 2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArteVandelay (Post 3540214)
In addition to all the above, as of now the CTA still plans on starting a rehab project on the Brown Line (or Ravenswood) branch as well. So on any given weekend this summer the Blue Line will be closed toward OHare, minimum one of the two Red Line subway tubes will be closed, Lake/Wabash branch of the loop will be closed, numerous Brownline stations will be closed (ongoing), and Brownline will be single tracked or closed.

Huberman has done more to overhaul the rail infrastructure since he started than the previous administration did in its entireity. And it badly needs it.

Am having a little problem understanding your "tense". We on the brownline have been dealing with construction, what for two years now? We are over a year into 3 tracks being used....we just completly opened the 2 northbown tracks at Belmont and Fullerton. Huberman had little to do with that...and the brown line has run so much better since brownline construction started...I am a little worried of going back to all tracks and stations being open.

ardecila May 10, 2008 5:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioGuy (Post 3540929)

The article that Haworthia posted is only one version of the idea. The Central Area Plan has a more extensive plan.

Instead of a simple Blue Line loop, it recommends a new subway branching off of the Red Line in the Cabrini-Green area, running south down Larrabee Street, crossing the river and the Fulton River District, and then running down Clinton all the way to somewhere south of Roosevelt, where it would cross the river again and rejoin the Red Line north of Chinatown.

Ideally, this would be done in conjunction with the Circle Line; Circle Line trains would take the State Street Subway and Red Line trains the new subway, with the idea being that the Red Line is serving the office district on the West Loop, while the Circle Line is serving the entertainment and shopping in the East Loop.

OhioGuy May 10, 2008 5:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago3rd (Post 3541940)
Am having a little problem understanding your "tense". We on the brownline have been dealing with construction, what for two years now? We are over a year into 3 tracks being used....we just completly opened the 2 northbown tracks at Belmont and Fullerton. Huberman had little to do with that...and the brown line has run so much better since brownline construction started...I am a little worried of going back to all tracks and stations being open.

I don't think the brown line has run better since reconstruction started. You're still stuck slowing down to a crawl as you pass by the stations under reconstruction. If those stations were open, the trains could speed in, stop quickly, and continue on in about the same amout of time it takes to crawl through the station reconstruction zones right now. Not to mention the time wasted just sitting still on the tracks until the workers get out of the way and the train is given the signal to continue on.

OhioGuy May 10, 2008 5:43 AM

I don't know if this has been pointed out before, but it looks like Google maps updates on the weekends to remove the red line subway stops. I just noticed this. There is nothing showing up between Fullerton & 35th.

nomarandlee May 10, 2008 5:44 AM

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7209125.story

Officials choose 79th, Chicago, Halsted and Jeffery for bus-only lanes pilot program

By Jon Hilkevitch | Tribune reporter
10:30 PM CDT, May 9, 2008

CTA bus-only lanes will be built on portions of 79th Street, Chicago Avenue, Halsted Street and Jeffery Boulevard as part of the plan to speed up public transportation and entice commuters from their cars.

In addition, officials said Friday that transit stations will be built at key points along the bus lines, all set up so passengers can pre-pay fares before quickly boarding new hybrid buses through the front and back doors.

The shelters also would feature electronic message boards linked to the CTA's Bus Tracker system, which uses GPS technology to provide riders with information about the locations of buses on routes.

In the longer term, "public bicycles" that commuters could use for free or for a small fee could be available at the stations.

............The agreement also calls on the city and the CTA to explore the use of combined bus-bicycle lanes throughout the bus-rapid transit network.

Initially, the bus-only lanes would revert to use by all vehicles during non-peak hours, but long-term, the lanes would operate all day, not just during rush periods, the agreement said.

jhilkevitch@tribune.com

Marcu May 10, 2008 7:32 AM

^ Halsted is the perfect north side option. Not too familiar with the others.

Rail Claimore May 10, 2008 8:35 AM

^Well, 79th is the busiest route in the city. This would be like adding an extra layer of service.

Dr. Taco May 10, 2008 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcu (Post 3542833)
^ Halsted is the perfect north side option. Not too familiar with the others.

how do you know they're talking about north halsted? Halsted is a pretty long street...

pottebaum May 10, 2008 5:49 PM

^yeah, wouldn't that kind of overlap with the red/brown line?

emathias May 10, 2008 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstush04 (Post 3543121)
how do you know they're talking about north halsted? Halsted is a pretty long street...

There is a graphic associated with the story in the Tribune. Basically slotted for the portion of Halsted from North to Lake Street (for the pilot program).

the urban politician May 11, 2008 12:43 AM

^ Wow, I didn't realize how little 10.2 miles was until I saw that graffic. A better east-west connection into Streeterville looks good, esp in light of all the health-care/research related jobs there as well as Mag Mile shopping

ardecila May 11, 2008 6:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 3543962)
^ Wow, I didn't realize how little 10.2 miles was until I saw that graffic. A better east-west connection into Streeterville looks good, esp in light of all the health-care/research related jobs there as well as Mag Mile shopping

Yeah, 10.2 isn't really a whole lot. However, the Chicago line seems to be quite long by urban standards; it goes all the way out to California/Grand, to the south end of Humboldt Park; that's pretty far.

I also like the fact that I can exit the Blue Line at Chicago and take a fast bus line into Streeterville - that's quite a luxury, compared to the complicated transfer I would need to make in the Loop.

The Halsted line is also nice, but I would really have preferred if they had extended it all the way through Greektown and across the Eisenhower to the edge of UIC - this would only add an extra 1/2 mile, but it would make the Halsted bus go SO much faster.

nomarandlee May 11, 2008 7:04 AM

Sun-Times take
Quote:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/transpo...051008.article

Plan to reduce traffic congestion calls for bus-only lanes

May 10, 2008

BY MARY WISNIEWSKITransportation Reporter

The plan includes traffic lights that turn green automatically for hybrid CTA buses, and bus stops at half-mile intervals. The speed of travel on the bus routes is expected to increase by as much as 50 percent on average.

......The bus-only lanes would cover 10.2 miles, including on Halsted Street from Lake Street to North Avenue; on Chicago Avenue from California to Fairbanks; on Jeffrey from 87th to 67th; and on 79th from State to Ashland.......

the urban politician May 11, 2008 2:40 PM

Metra adding trains to deal with rush-hour crunch
Weekend service will also get more trains, officials say
By Richard Wronski | Tribune reporter
May 11, 2008
Article tools
Metra riders who find themselves caught amid standing-room-only crowds on Union Pacific North line trains will get some relief this month when additional cars are added to rush-hour trains, officials said Friday.

Facing record high ridership, Metra also will add weekend trains to fill hours-long gaps on the UP North and Milwaukee District North lines.

OhioGuy May 11, 2008 5:48 PM

It's too bad no BRT is being implemented on North Michigan Avenue. Riding buses down that stretch in the morning or afternoon is awful. It's too bad we can't build a bus tunnel under Michigan Avenue like Seattle has. Removing buses from that awfully busy street would really speed things up!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2076/...125accc4_b.jpg
(photo posted on Flickr by PWylde)

jpIllInoIs May 11, 2008 5:53 PM

WTTW Ch.11 Will air a special in-depth look at the STAR Line on Tuesday @ 7:00pm. I think the show is called 'Chicago Matters'... Whether you like this proposal or not it should provide an interesting look.

http://www.chicagomatters.org/calendar.asp

ArteVandelay May 11, 2008 6:20 PM

Regarding questions about the Brownline rehab - I'm fully aware that for riders purposes the brownline has been under construction for a couple years now, with associated delays, etc. However, the vast majority of that work has been related to replacing stations, not rails and ties. There are some exceptions to this in the North Main area between Belmont and Fullerton, but generally speaking you have new stations on the Brownline with old rotting ties on the tracks. Replacing those ties and rails is what will begin shortly.

And to go with what others were mentioning before, a couple years ago the system was not covered with slow zones - however, it should have been. The condition of the system in places was terrible. The worst spots have been tackled or are being worked on now.

CTA basis its bonding on the fact that if they do not upgrade the system, ridership will dimensish, farebox receipts will drop, and so on.

jjk1103 May 12, 2008 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArteVandelay (Post 3545090)
Regarding questions about the Brownline rehab - I'm fully aware that for riders purposes the brownline has been under construction for a couple years now, with associated delays, etc. However, the vast majority of that work has been related to replacing stations, not rails and ties. There are some exceptions to this in the North Main area between Belmont and Fullerton, but generally speaking you have new stations on the Brownline with old rotting ties on the tracks. Replacing those ties and rails is what will begin shortly.

And to go with what others were mentioning before, a couple years ago the system was not covered with slow zones - however, it should have been. The condition of the system in places was terrible. The worst spots have been tackled or are being worked on now.

CTA basis its bonding on the fact that if they do not upgrade the system, ridership will dimensish, farebox receipts will drop, and so on.

.....I 've asked this question once or twice before but I never really got a good answer.......they are re-building all the stations on the Brown Line.....but the steel BETWEEN the stations is still 100yo steel and in many places it looks totally rusted out (my opinion only) ......are they going to spend another $500MM some time soon to replace all that rusted steel between the stations or is that steel "good to go" for another 100 years ?

Mr Man May 12, 2008 3:32 AM

Will the Bus lanes have their own private ROW?

Or will it be something "shitty"

http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/media/i..._(o)_large.jpg

VivaLFuego May 12, 2008 4:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjk1103 (Post 3545951)
.....I 've asked this question once or twice before but I never really got a good answer.......they are re-building all the stations on the Brown Line.....but the steel BETWEEN the stations is still 100yo steel and in many places it looks totally rusted out (my opinion only) ......are they going to spend another $500MM some time soon to replace all that rusted steel between the stations or is that steel "good to go" for another 100 years ?

The station work has generally included some structural renewal in the areas immediately adjacent to the stations, and CTA crews have otherwise gradually replaced the more intensive-wear components along the line, particularly the flange angles that connect the columns to the bents. ArtV can probably elaborate more. But the imminent Brown Line trackwork to replace ties and running rail is more or less the 'final' component for the Brown Line to be effectively fully modernized by the time the project is complete in late '09.

VivaLFuego May 12, 2008 4:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 3544804)
Metra adding trains to deal with rush-hour crunch
Weekend service will also get more trains, officials say
By Richard Wronski | Tribune reporter
May 11, 2008
Article tools
Metra riders who find themselves caught amid standing-room-only crowds on Union Pacific North line trains will get some relief this month when additional cars are added to rush-hour trains, officials said Friday.

Facing record high ridership, Metra also will add weekend trains to fill hours-long gaps on the UP North and Milwaukee District North lines.

Very generous from the Tribune to put this spin on it. Actually, this was Metra saying they would only add more service to the UP-N and MD-N lines, while they were supposed to add more off-peak and weekend service to almost every line in exchange for the additional $100+ million they're receiving annually from HB656, but have cut back due to fuel expenses. If CTA were pulling this, the Trib would have framed the article as
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribune
"CTA Leadership Corrupt, Incompetent Liars: Cronies Renege on Promises to Improve and Expand Service. Suburbanites hardest hit"

the urban politician May 12, 2008 2:25 PM

^ So true.

Chicago area newspapers slam the CTA on a regular basis, while you almost hear almost nothing negative about Metra.

Is it a racism thing? Perhaps CTA is viewed as some sort of charity service for minorities, who knows?

No different here in NYC either. Everybody grips about the MTA (me included), but you usually hear little about the LIRR, etc

Mr Downtown May 12, 2008 4:02 PM

I think it's because it's foreign to them. Trib reporters and editors generally don't live in the city. If they do (trying to give RedEye some cred), it's in one of three North Side neighborhoods. Any hiccup with the Brown Line is serious, while the south end of the Red Line could be closed for months before they noticed.

And then there's mere laziness. If Metra puts that spin in the press release, the Trib will think it's doing a good job by merely summarizing and shortening. Questioning the premise never occurs to them.

Chicago3rd May 12, 2008 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioGuy (Post 3542729)
I don't think the brown line has run better since reconstruction started. You're still stuck slowing down to a crawl as you pass by the stations under reconstruction. If those stations were open, the trains could speed in, stop quickly, and continue on in about the same amout of time it takes to crawl through the station reconstruction zones right now. Not to mention the time wasted just sitting still on the tracks until the workers get out of the way and the train is given the signal to continue on.

During rush it is a breeze compared to what it had been. There was a time when the brownline was taking close to 1 hour from Western to the Loop.

The trains aren't slowing down at rush.
The trains aren't waiting for the redline on the southbound track anymore at Fullerton and Belmont.

I want the purple line to be reversed in the loop though!!!

Nowhereman1280 May 13, 2008 3:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 3546822)
I think it's because it's foreign to them. Trib reporters and editors generally don't live in the city. If they do (trying to give RedEye some cred), it's in one of three North Side neighborhoods. Any hiccup with the Brown Line is serious, while the south end of the Red Line could be closed for months before they noticed.

I don't think this is true, at least for the Sun-Times. I happen to know many people who work for the Times (my aunt does and I've met many of her friends) and they live everywhere from Rogers Park to Hyde Park, to Wicker Park, to Logan Square. I don't know any who are stupid enough to live in the suburbs and commute every day.

the urban politician May 13, 2008 3:41 AM

^ Plus, I've heard many people who live in the city & ride the CTA gripe about it

Mr Man May 13, 2008 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Man (Post 3546062)
Will the Bus lanes have their own private ROW?

Or will it be something "shitty"

Oh, C'mon. It was a serious comment. Will the Bus lanes be in their own Right-of-Way or not. It's a huge difference.

Mr Downtown May 13, 2008 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 (Post 3548435)
I don't think this is true, at least for the Sun-Times.

Um, you will notice that the set of people who work for the Sun-Times and write for the Tribune is very, very small. The question was why the Tribune is clueless about Chicago transit. The Sun-Times understands that transit is central to their readers' lives and covers the subject accordingly.

aaron38 May 13, 2008 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLFuego (Post 3546210)
Our commuter rail service Metra, jam packed as ever (most lines are up 10-15% over last years figures) just canceled its plans for more off-peak and weekend service because fuel prices are killer. Rolling out new transit service anywhere will require some combination of fare increases and subsidy increases, neither of which are a given in most regions.

Where's the break-even? How many riders would an off-peak train need to balance out the higher fuel costs?
Because if ridership keeps increasing, the extra service should pay for itself.

ardecila May 13, 2008 8:17 PM

No, because the cost of all transit services comes partially from ticket sales and partially from sales tax subsidy. The subsidy isn't increasing, and I'm pretty sure the extra ticket sales aren't enough to cover a whole set of additional trains.

If Metra stopped diverting operating funds into capital, perhaps extra trains could be added. But on the other hand, new locomotives, cars, and maybe even yard space are required for additional service, and these are capital expenses (which require funding from the state).

Taft May 13, 2008 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 3549991)
No, because the cost of all transit services comes partially from ticket sales and partially from sales tax subsidy. The subsidy isn't increasing, and I'm pretty sure the extra ticket sales aren't enough to cover a whole set of additional trains.

If Metra stopped diverting operating funds into capital, perhaps extra trains could be added. But on the other hand, new locomotives, cars, and maybe even yard space are required for additional service, and these are capital expenses (which require funding from the state).

It think these are the most fundamentally misunderstood parts of the transit system by the general public. (Not meaning to pick on you or anything, aaron38)

If the public would educate themselves about transit funding and how the existing structure is hobbling the system, you'd hear a lot less griping, methinks.

Taft

Eventually...Chicago May 13, 2008 9:12 PM

I just hate how the tribune (and everyone else) refers to transit funding as a "bail-out".

that's like saying buying a pack of gum is a wrigley "bail-out"

sometimes things cost money, from now on, anytime i pay for something i am going to say i am "bailing-out" whoever is selling

pardon me... i have to go "bail-out" the bar down the street

Chicago3rd May 13, 2008 9:21 PM

How do we make sure that what ever restrictions through price increase we do are fair? I think we should base downtown parking on the make and model of a car. So people who own more expensive cars pay more for parking. If we don't do that then the roads we all built will only be used by those driving Mercades to get to work...the rest will economically be forced into public transportation. I have no issue with across the board forcing of people into public transportation.

Haworthia May 13, 2008 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eventually...Chicago (Post 3550128)
I just hate how the tribune (and everyone else) refers to transit funding as a "bail-out".

that's like saying buying a pack of gum is a wrigley "bail-out"

sometimes things cost money, from now on, anytime i pay for something i am going to say i am "bailing-out" whoever is selling

pardon me... i have to go "bail-out" the bar down the street

:haha: Hilarious. I think you are absolutely right. The "bail-out" was just paying the bills. Costs have gone up while revenues have stayed flat. When you think about it, calling it a bailout is an awful way to frame the issue. The first thing people think is, "Why should we bailout..." whomever. It makes it sound like an handout when, really, it's paying for something everyone uses. I'm not sure what else to call the funding though. Maybe we could call it a "funding inflation adjustment". Somebody will have to come up with something better I suppose.

ardecila May 13, 2008 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago3rd (Post 3550161)
How do we make sure that what ever restrictions through price increase we do are fair? I think we should base downtown parking on the make and model of a car. So people who own more expensive cars pay more for parking. If we don't do that then the roads we all built will only be used by those driving Mercades to get to work...the rest will economically be forced into public transportation. I have no issue with across the board forcing of people into public transportation.

Good idea... but what about those multimillionaires who drive Kias? :haha:

harryc May 13, 2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 3549817)
Where's the break-even? How many riders would an off-peak train need to balance out the higher fuel costs?
Because if ridership keeps increasing, the extra service should pay for itself.

I think the math is a bit more complex - how many people will use the train, 95% of the time during "normal" hours, because they know that _IF_ they get stuck downtown late they can still get a train. This has compelled me to drive downtown more than once as the last Green is at 1:30am. In short those late trains account for more people than are on them.

As far as bailouts - stop government funding of the trains the day after government funding is stopped for the roads.

OhioGuy May 14, 2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haworthia (Post 3550213)
:haha: Hilarious. I think you are absolutely right. The "bail-out" was just paying the bills. Costs have gone up while revenues have stayed flat. When you think about it, calling it a bailout is an awful way to frame the issue. The first thing people think is, "Why should we bailout..." whomever. It makes it sound like an handout when, really, it's paying for something everyone uses. I'm not sure what else to call the funding though. Maybe we could call it a "funding inflation adjustment". Somebody will have to come up with something better I suppose.

This has been pointed out before. What's sad is that it's viewed as a bail-out instead of as an investment. Until politicans and the general public begin to see it as an investment, the funding will never be what it should be.