SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

sopas ej Apr 2, 2020 8:02 PM

From Los Angeles ABC-7:

Coronavirus: Gov. Newsom announces 1-year sales tax reprieve for small businesses in California

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday announced a "bridge loan" of up to $50,000 for small businesses in California amid the coronavirus outbreak, with a 12-month reprieve of state sales tax.

Newsom said the loan would not include and fines, penalties or interest as many businesses across the state have been forced to close their doors, lay off employees and scale back operations.

The governor made the announcement during a press briefing where he announced a series of actions to help California's small businesses and struggling workforce.

In addition to the sales tax reprieve, the governor announced the Paycheck Protection Program -- which will reimburse businesses, up to $10 million, as long as businesses commit to paying employees.

Applications can be submitted here, beginning Friday, the governor said.

As the federal government prepares to launch the Paycheck Protection Program, a $349 billion loan program meant to help small businesses survive the coronavirus pandemic, critics have growing concerns that some mom-and-pop shops might get squeezed out.

The program - part of the $2 trillion relief package signed into law last week - was billed as a way to help local businesses that often form the fabric of communities retain workers and pay bills. But an expansive definition of "small business" in the law means that it will be open to much more than just Main Street shops when lenders start processing applications Friday.

Operators of name-brand hotel, restaurant and service chains and franchises with thousands of employees at locations scattered across the U.S. are eligible. Lobbyists are pushing the Small Business Administration to interpret the law generously to help sectors devastated by mandatory business closures and stay-at-home orders, possibly making the aid available to international fast food and lodging giants and allowing individual owners to get around a $10 million cap on loans.

While Congress could approve more money later on, the program as it stands is expected to run out quickly. That could mean applicants who have the financial and legal expertise of a larger organization might be able to maximize their benefits, not leaving much for smaller businesses, especially those who wait or have problems applying.

Independent contractors and the self-employed could be especially hurt since they will not be eligible to apply until April 10 under guidance from the Treasury Department. By then, banks could be overwhelmed with applications.

Underscoring the need for help, the federal government reported Thursday that a record 10 million workers filed for unemployment in the two weeks ending March 28.

The program will give businesses low-interest loans of about 2.5 times their average monthly payroll. They will be fully or partially forgiven if businesses show that the money was used to retain or rehire employees and pay some overhead expenses through June 30.

The law specified that all food service and lodging businesses qualify as long as they do not have more than 500 employees at a single location. It also declared that thousands of franchises recognized by the SBA - like multilocation restaurants, hotels, gyms and hair salons - will qualify regardless of their revenue and ties to large corporate parents. Many nonprofits, which are normally ineligible for such aid, also qualify.

The law says the maximum loan will be $10 million. But lobbyists representing chains are asking that the cap apply to each location - rather than each owner.

The International Franchise Association argued in a letter to SBA that would allow the program "to achieve its intended outcome and have maximum impact." The letter urged the agency to confirm that franchisors it recognizes - that are the parent companies of major chains from Burger King to Marriott - qualify as well.

The agency is expected to issue additional guidance on the program Thursday.

Newsom also announced Thursday a new website, in partnership with Central Valley-based company Bitwise along with Salesforce and Linkedin, to link California workers with available jobs.

Onward.ca.org will match job seekers with employers during the virus outbreak.

Newsom said as of Thursday there are 70,000 available jobs on the website.

The jobs are primarily in the agriculture, logistics, transportation and grocery industries.

The goal is to get Californians off of unemployment insurance or avoid residents needing the assistance in the first place, Newsom said.

This comes as 6.6 million Americans file for unemployment benefits last week.

Newsom has said the number of COVID-19 cases in California is expected to peak in late May.

The spread of the virus statewide has, so far, been slow enough to give the state time to prepare for an expected spike in cases that could overwhelm hospitals if extreme measures aren't taken to keep most people home and away from others.

The state currently has more than 8,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus, with over 170 deaths.

Los Angeles County reported more than 500 new cases on Wednesday, a 17% hike over the previous day.

The mayor of Los Angeles urged 4 million residents to wear masks to combat the coronavirus when they walk out in public, even as state health officials shied away from requiring a coverup.

Mayor Eric Garcetti's non-binding mask recommendation followed a similar recommendation on Wednesday for residents of Riverside County, and was joined Thursday in Ventura County.

Newsom reiterated Thursday that the state was not mandating wearing masks in public, but said face covers can be beneficial in additional to following physical distancing and stay-at-home orders.

Link: https://abc7.com/business/coronaviru...WfKJlMEKu_QUTo

sopas ej Apr 2, 2020 8:19 PM

How is everyone holding up, btw? Tomorrow starts our 3rd week of California's statewide "stay at home" order...

I'm kind of used to the new normal...

pdxtex Apr 2, 2020 8:32 PM

I'm pretty good actually. I've lost 10 pounds since xmas, eating pretty healthy, socially distant exercising. Most of my peers seem to be working from home and getting on with things. My parents are "marooned" in florida at the moment. They would be back up in Michigan right now. Portland seems to have chilled out too. Grocery stores are better stocked, less mega rushing the stores. Lots of restaurants are doing take out. No fkn tp though. Its the new pet rock!

iheartthed Apr 2, 2020 8:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8882532)
No, it's not a joke. Though I guess it kinda sounded like that.

I am a native French speaker and while my English is really good, the differentiation between the two types of coughs is not something I've had to handle in English.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

I think most people would just say a regular cough.

Docere Apr 2, 2020 9:01 PM

Toronto mayor John Tory is putting in $5000 fines for not respecting social distancing.

Pedestrian Apr 2, 2020 9:03 PM

If you are self-isolating and bored, this might help:

Quote:

HBO offers free access to key series, movies • 4:41 PM

HBO (NYSE:T) is responding to the burst in video streaming by offering free access to a number of high-profile series, along with documentaries and other movies.

Using the catchphrase "Stay Home Box Office," the streamer is allowing U.S. viewers without subscriptions to use HBO Now or HBO Go to stream shows including The Sopranos, The Wire, True Blood, Veep, Six Feet Under, Silicon Valley, Succession, Barry and Ballers.

Free documentaries include The Inventor, The Case Against Adnan Syed and McMillions, while it also points to movies including Isn't It Romantic, The Lego Movie 2 and Detective Pikachu.

The offer starts tomorrow and could bring some goodwill ahead of a still-planned spring launch for HBO Max.
Seekingalpha.com

homebucket Apr 2, 2020 9:07 PM

I think people here have adapted pretty well. People are working from home, going on walks, chatting with neighbors 6 ft away, definitely cooking and baking a lot more haha. Some are trying to support local restaurants as much as they can, the ones that are still open for take out or delivery at least. Overall, morale is fair all things considered. Situation is grim for small businesses, but we're trying to flatten the curve as quickly as possible, and more importantly sustain a flattened curve, so people can go back to work. Fortunately, most people here are well-educated and informed and supportive of the shelter in place orders.

Pedestrian Apr 2, 2020 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8882573)
How is everyone holding up, btw? Tomorrow starts our 3rd week of California's statewide "stay at home" order...

I'm kind of used to the new normal...

I had planned to return to San Francisco at the end of this month but I'm staying in the Arizona desert for now. I'm afraid:

(1) To attempt the 900+ mile car trip alone with uncertain availability of things like gas enroute or help if something should breakdown out in the Mojave.

(2) Of life in my condo building, especially the need to use an elevator to leave it for any reason including shopping and the need to deal with other people at close quarters even to get things shipped to me (we have a concierge, fellow who staffs it often overworked and office can get crowded).

homebucket Apr 2, 2020 9:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8882638)
I had planned to return to San Francisco at the end of this month but I'm staying in the Arizona desert for now. I'm afraid:

(1) To attempt the 900+ mile car trip alone with uncertain availability of things like gas enroute or help if something should breakdown out in the Mojave.

(2) Of life in my condo building, especially the need to use an elevator to leave it for any reason including shopping and the need to deal with other people at close quarters even to get things shipped to me (we have a concierge, fellow who staffs it often overworked and office can get crowded).

Does your condo provide any guidance on how many people can be in the elevator at one time? If someone is already in it, do you just have to wait for the next one?

rsbear Apr 2, 2020 9:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8882573)
How is everyone holding up, btw? ..

I was able to buy toilet paper today!!! Still can't find disinfecting products online or in stores.

Yesterday was a beautiful day in Los Angeles. Tons of people out in my neighborhood walking, biking, sunbathing, etc. Kind of nice to see such a high level of pedestrian traffic in the area.

SIGSEGV Apr 2, 2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8882638)

Elevator usage in my building has not been a huge issue since for the most part, people aren't going anywhere. We have 3 elevators for a 30 story building (344 units) . Food deliveries are placed on a table in the lobby and we have to go down and get them ourselves (to reduce number of people inside). Package deliveries are put out in the elevator lobby after we call the concierge (they move it from the package room to the elevator lobby when we call them; this way we don't have to directly be close to them).

Lear Apr 2, 2020 10:37 PM

Baking and Cooking at home is going wild.
Weekly German Podcasts have gone daily.
Fitness apps are booming.
Online shopping is going through the roof. (All the fcking trash is messing up the courtyard in our house)

Welcome to Corona Berlin 2020

:uhh:

chris08876 Apr 2, 2020 10:39 PM

Today (earlier) - NJ

Video Link

Pedestrian Apr 2, 2020 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 8882639)
Does your condo provide any guidance on how many people can be in the elevator at one time? If someone is already in it, do you just have to wait for the next one?

I don't know because I'm not there but the elevators can be crowded under normal circumstances. Don't see how they can handle the load one person at a time unless (a) the fact it's a "mixed use" building and I assume the commercial spaces are closed makes enough of a difference or (b) the fact that people are self-isolating and not going out as much makes a big difference.

Pedestrian Apr 2, 2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8882721)
Elevator usage in my building has not been a huge issue since for the most part, people aren't going anywhere. We have 3 elevators for a 30 story building (344 units) . Food deliveries are placed on a table in the lobby and we have to go down and get them ourselves (to reduce number of people inside). Package deliveries are put out in the elevator lobby after we call the concierge (they move it from the package room to the elevator lobby when we call them; this way we don't have to directly be close to them).

Those sound like sensible ways to handle. I may pass them along to our building manager (who probably already thinks I'm a pain in the neck).

I am in a shorter (12 stories) building but with more units (450). Takes up an entire city block . . . but also only 3 elevators from the residential lobby to the street (there are 3 separate 12-story apartment towers accessible from the residential lobby which is on the third floor. Each of those has two elevators.).

SIGSEGV Apr 2, 2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8882747)
Those sound like sensible ways to handle. I may pass them along to our building manager (who probably already thinks I'm a pain in the neck).

I am in a shorter (12 stories) building but with more units (450). Takes up an entire city block . . . but also only 3 elevators from the residential lobby to the street (there are 3 separate 12-story apartment towers accessible from the residential lobby which is on the third floor. Each of those has two elevators.).

I also use my key to push the elevator buttons rather than my fingers. Sometimes I take the stairs (since I'm just on the 6th floor) but that requires actually using door handles which is trickier...

Pedestrian Apr 2, 2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8882753)
I also use my key to push the elevator buttons rather than my fingers. Sometimes I take the stairs (since I'm just on the 6th floor) but that requires actually using door handles which is trickier...

Our stairs are alarmed and the street access to them is locked from the outside. So using them to get into the building is impossible (intended, for security) and using them to go out would freak out the security guard who sits/stands at a lobby desk.

I've got a stylus intended for use with an iPad I've been using for credit card screens, elevator buttons . . . anything I don't want to touch.

TWAK Apr 2, 2020 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8882765)
I've got a stylus intended for use with an iPad I've been using for credit card screens, elevator buttons . . . anything I don't want to touch.

Gonna do this when I get supplies at the store or get food!

photoLith Apr 3, 2020 1:15 AM

I’ve been taking photos in downtown Pittsburgh almost every night for the past couple of weeks. It is so incredibly eerie. Just the occasional bus drives by and then the only other people out and about are the homeless and the occasional dog walker. I take photos of abandoned stuff and mostly abandoned towns all the time. Walking around downtown Pittsburgh now feels like walking around downtown Helena, Arkansas or Brownsville, PA or Cairo, Illinois (although now there’s nothing left of Cairo like there was ten years ago); three of the most abandoned intact Downtowns I’ve ever been to. Except here I’m surrounded by skyscrapers and empty streets instead of 5 story buildings.

I wish I could go to NYC and photograph it now, must seem even more eerie than being here in downtown Pittsburgh. What really makes this is all extra shitty is that now all the planned developments most likely won’t happen because this will be worse than the Great Depression.

SIGSEGV Apr 3, 2020 1:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8882858)
I’ve been taking photos in downtown Pittsburgh almost every night for the past couple of weeks. It is so incredibly eerie. Just the occasional bus drives by and then the only other people out and about are the homeless and the occasional dog walker. I take photos of abandoned stuff and mostly abandoned towns all the time. Walking around downtown Pittsburgh now feels like walking around downtown Helena, Arkansas or Brownsville, PA or Cairo, Illinois (although now there’s nothing left of Cairo like there was ten years ago); three of the most abandoned intact Downtowns I’ve ever been to. Except here I’m surrounded by skyscrapers and empty streets instead of 5 story buildings.

I wish I could go to NYC and photograph it now, must seem even more eerie than being here in downtown Pittsburgh. What really makes this is all extra shitty is that now all the planned developments most likely won’t happen because this will be worse than the Great Depression.

Does Pittsburgh have any downtown residential population? Here are there are people walking their dogs and such.