SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: ORD & MDW discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87889)

SamInTheLoop Oct 29, 2022 2:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9775416)
The new addition looks super nice, but no amenities yet. You can tell there will be probably new stuff opening over the coming months.

Seconded. Took a stroll through the expansion recently.....very nice and cool to be able to walk through while essentially empty, as there were just a couple other passengers doing the same thing, a couple airport employees, but other than that felt like I had the entire wing to myself.

N830MH Oct 30, 2022 1:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9775417)
This checkpoint didn’t have precheck… Maybe the other one down by the Delta wing has it, but this one didn’t.

Point is…. If you fly out of T5, give yourself a ton of time to be safe. I was in security for 45 minutes.

Yes, give yourself more extra time. If you are PreCheck. You have ask agents. They will help you. They know where PreCheck is.

trvlr70 Oct 31, 2022 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbud (Post 9774057)
When the T5 renovation kicked off, one area of need cited was the lack of space for airline lounges. Delta’s new lounge seems like a nice addition, but I’m surprised there has been no other mention of any other new lounges.
- Are any new ones planned (Emirates, Qatar, or Etihad)?
- Will the Delta lounge also act as a SkyTeam lounge, and will the Air France lounge now close?
- Will Swiss or SAS expand theirs? The Swiss lounge is a shoebox. I know they’ll eventually move to T2, but that’ll be in 5+ years.
- There was a plan to add a 2nd A380 gate with the T5 expansion, did this happen? Would that coincide with Emirates ever bringing the A380 here? With their partnership with United I’d think they’d have more demand at ORD now.

The lounge situation is super disappointing. It’s also not like things just happen overnight. So, if we don’t even have a plan right now, then it’s not looking too good. I suspect that OW and Star Alliance partners don’t want to make an investment when they may eventually move to a new global terminal and share a bigger alliance-wide lounge there. I’ll be dead before that happens. And the Swissport lounge is not associated with the Swiss Airlines lounge (which closed a couple years ago). The planning is really bad here.

rivernorthlurker Nov 4, 2022 1:14 AM

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...edAirport.html

Quote:

O’Hare Becomes World’s Best-Connected Airport for First Time Since 2016
Official Aviation Guide’s 2022 Megahub Connectivity Index Moves O’Hare from No. 3 to No. 1

rivernorthlurker Nov 4, 2022 1:15 AM

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept.../10282022.html

Quote:

Chicago Once Again One of Five Cities on Earth with Direct Air Service to All Inhabited Continents

twister244 Nov 4, 2022 1:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9781051)

I see no reason why O'hare can't coast ahead of major airports over the coming years.....

At this point, the only thing holding it back is more gates, which is going to be fixed over the next few years. We should consider ourselves really lucky the planners at O'Hare redid the runways to have six parallel segments. It's going to pay dividends in the future. I flew out of Heathrow on Tuesday to Milan, and I couldn't believe they only have TWO parallel runways there. That's it..... One runway for landings - One for takeoffs.

For an airport with that kind of gravity, it shocked me. Now I know why people hate flying through Heathrow. O'hare is positioned to continue to add flights, and expand hubs without worrying about sacrificing the customer experience.

F1 Tommy Nov 4, 2022 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9781290)
I see no reason why O'hare can't coast ahead of major airports over the coming years.....

At this point, the only thing holding it back is more gates, which is going to be fixed over the next few years. We should consider ourselves really lucky the planners at O'Hare redid the runways to have six parallel segments. It's going to pay dividends in the future. I flew out of Heathrow on Tuesday to Milan, and I couldn't believe they only have TWO parallel runways there. That's it..... One runway for landings - One for takeoffs.

For an airport with that kind of gravity, it shocked me. Now I know why people hate flying through Heathrow. O'hare is positioned to continue to add flights, and expand hubs without worrying about sacrificing the customer experience.

I hope so, and it should except for one thing. ORD costs alot more than ATL/DFW/CLT/DEN to operate out of. That is what is holding them back. ATL is far ahead in passenger traffic. Forget the connectivity pax traffic headlines. ORD is a far far second to ATL and has been for years. Landings are a different matter.

Kngkyle Nov 4, 2022 9:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1 Tommy (Post 9781965)
I hope so, and it should except for one thing. ORD costs alot more than ATL/DFW/CLT/DEN to operate out of. That is what is holding them back. ATL is far ahead in passenger traffic. Forget the connectivity pax traffic headlines. ORD is a far far second to ATL and has been for years. Landings are a different matter.

Cost per enplanement is definitely a meaningful metric and you are correct that O'Hare is far more costly than ATL/DFW/CLT/DEN but it's still considerably cheaper than BOS, JFK, EWR, LAX, and SFO. So kind of a mixed bag there.

Chicago (and most American airports) need to invest more in retail and dining options as a source of revenue instead of relying so heavily on passenger and parking fees. The problem is all the existing O'Hare terminals pre-date this trend and don't have room for more shops and restaurants. Hopefully the new terminals are built with more emphasis on this. The T5 expansion seems to have done so. Asian airports have taken this to the extreme and they're basically 90% shopping mall 10% airport... I am not advocating for that but rather somewhere in the middle.. like most European airports.

rivernorthlurker Nov 4, 2022 9:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9781290)

I recently learned that O'Hare has more runways than any other airport in the world, at 8.

https://simpleflying.com/major-airport-most-runways/

Roy_Batty Nov 16, 2022 4:33 AM

So now that Terminal 5 extension is completed, what are the next steps? I recall the plan is to build Satellite 1 and Satellite 2 concourses of the new terminal, before actually closing and demolishing Terminal 2 to give way to the new global terminal.

How about the new indoor parking of Terminal 5?

Is there a timeframe for this?

Kngkyle Nov 16, 2022 1:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy_Batty (Post 9791662)
So now that Terminal 5 extension is completed, what are the next steps? I recall the plan is to build Satellite 1 and Satellite 2 concourses of the new terminal, before actually closing and demolishing Terminal 2 to give way to the new global terminal.

How about the new indoor parking of Terminal 5?

Is there a timeframe for this?

New parking garage at T5 is under construction and they are doing ground prep work for Satellite 1. They have to remove/move a number of taxiways before S-1 can begin construction.

We are still probably 3-4 years away before T2 gets demo'd.

The city hasn't been very forthcoming with project/timeline updates beyond recently acknowledging that it ain't gonna be done by 2028, thats for sure.

twister244 Nov 16, 2022 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 9791769)
New parking garage at T5 is under construction and they are doing ground prep work for Satellite 1. They have to remove/move a number of taxiways before S-1 can begin construction.

Oh cool, That's news to me. By S-1, we are referring to the new satellite to the West of the existing one, correct?

2PRUROCKS! Nov 17, 2022 3:35 PM

Have we seen renderings of the SOM designed satellite terminals? When will renderings of the revised design for terminal 2 by Studio Gang be released?

Kngkyle Nov 17, 2022 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9791798)
Oh cool, That's news to me. By S-1, we are referring to the new satellite to the West of the existing one, correct?

Eh, it's basically an extension added on to Concourse C in Terminal 1. Granted an extension that about doubles the length of it. Once that is done then T2 will be demolished. In the interim while the new T2 is built the only way to access it will likely be via the existing Terminal 1 tunnel and a long ass walk. Once T2 is rebuilt there will be another underground connection with separation for international arrivals. I think the first phase only has a pedestrian tunnel but when S-2 gets built a proper people mover is to be installed.

Chicagoguy Nov 18, 2022 1:34 AM

Back After 30+ Years: Air Serbia Reveals New Belgrade-Chicago Service

“ Air Serbia has added Chicago as its second US route and it is now bookable. It'll begin in May and will join the existing Belgrade-JFK. Chicago was last served by JAT, Air Serbia's predecessor, in 1991 using the DC-10.

The first Chicago flight by Air Serbia will be on May 17th, with 2 weekly flights. It'll rise to 3 weekly from June 12, in time for the peak summer; it is, after all, a summer-seasonal market.”

Belgrade-Chicago: JU506, Wednesdays 06:50-10:50; Mondays 12:50-16:50; Saturdays 17:20-21:20

Chicago-Belgrade: JU507, Wednesdays 12:40-05:30+1; Mondays 18:40-11:30+1; Saturdays 23:10-16:00+1

https://simpleflying.com/air-serbia-...chicago-route/

N830MH Nov 18, 2022 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy (Post 9793574)
Back After 30+ Years: Air Serbia Reveals New Belgrade-Chicago Service

“ Air Serbia has added Chicago as its second US route and it is now bookable. It'll begin in May and will join the existing Belgrade-JFK. Chicago was last served by JAT, Air Serbia's predecessor, in 1991 using the DC-10.

The first Chicago flight by Air Serbia will be on May 17th, with 2 weekly flights. It'll rise to 3 weekly from June 12, in time for the peak summer; it is, after all, a summer-seasonal market.”

Belgrade-Chicago: JU506, Wednesdays 06:50-10:50; Mondays 12:50-16:50; Saturdays 17:20-21:20

Chicago-Belgrade: JU507, Wednesdays 12:40-05:30+1; Mondays 18:40-11:30+1; Saturdays 23:10-16:00+1

https://simpleflying.com/air-serbia-...chicago-route/

Wow! That’s great news!! Thanks for sharing this! They haven’t flew to ORD for more than three decades now. It’s been a very long time. When they did last time served to O’Hare? 1991?

Roy_Batty Nov 19, 2022 9:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 9793476)
Eh, it's basically an extension added on to Concourse C in Terminal 1. Granted an extension that about doubles the length of it. Once that is done then T2 will be demolished. In the interim while the new T2 is built the only way to access it will likely be via the existing Terminal 1 tunnel and a long ass walk. Once T2 is rebuilt there will be another underground connection with separation for international arrivals. I think the first phase only has a pedestrian tunnel but when S-2 gets built a proper people mover is to be installed.

Nice to hear they have already started T5 parking and the ground preparations for S1. Now I see what the construction sequence is:
1. Satellite 1
2. Global Terminal (including pedestrian tunnel from GT-S1)
3. Satellite 2 (including people mover from GT-S1-S2)

You mentioned in a previous post the “city” has not been very forthcoming with the timeline, which makes me wonder if this project is managed by the city of Chicago or the federal government? Or is it that the federal government allocates the money but it’s the city in charge of the construction?

Kngkyle Nov 19, 2022 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy_Batty (Post 9794768)
Nice to hear they have already started T5 parking and the ground preparations for S1. Now I see what the construction sequence is:
1. Satellite 1

You mentioned in a previous post the “city” has not been very forthcoming with the timeline, which makes me wonder if this project is managed by the city of Chicago or the federal government? Or is it that the federal government allocates the money but it’s the city in charge of the construction?

Chicago Department of Aviation controls the project, which is a city agency under the purview of the Mayor. The Feds have little to do with it beyond some minimal financing here and there.

Speaking of which, Lightfoot has plastered herself all over the damn airport. Between large banners with her face saying welcome to Chicago to announcements by her over the loudspeakers. It's pretty cringe regardless of your political views.

FlashingLights Nov 20, 2022 6:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 9794810)
Chicago Department of Aviation controls the project, which is a city agency under the purview of the Mayor. The Feds have little to do with it beyond some minimal financing here and there.

Speaking of which, Lightfoot has plastered herself all over the damn airport. Between large banners with her face saying welcome to Chicago to announcements by her over the loudspeakers. It's pretty cringe regardless of your political views.

Yeah, I arrived back at O'Hare at 2AM into terminal 1 and of course it was empty and quiet except for Lori announcing via pre-recorded message about how "modern" O'Hare is. It was extremely tacky and cringe.

k1052 Nov 21, 2022 5:09 PM

Quote:

CDA doesn't usually provide a lot of, at least easy to find, info about what's going on or planned and when. This isn't new AFAIK.

Chicagoguy Nov 21, 2022 6:08 PM

Massive O'Hare project clears last hurdle

“The big terminal modernization and expansion plan at O'Hare International Airport has been officially cleared for takeoff.

Under the latest plan, two new remote satellite terminals will be the first to open, in 2027 and 2028, off the existing Terminal 1, where most United Airlines flights are located.

Once that is done, full-scale work will begin on the centerpiece of the project: the demolition and reconstruction of Terminal 2, which will be converted into a combined domestic and international terminal.”

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/poli...s-faa-approval

jonesrmj Nov 21, 2022 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy (Post 9796066)
Massive O'Hare project clears last hurdle

“The big terminal modernization and expansion plan at O'Hare International Airport has been officially cleared for takeoff.

Under the latest plan, two new remote satellite terminals will be the first to open, in 2027 and 2028, off the existing Terminal 1, where most United Airlines flights are located.

Once that is done, full-scale work will begin on the centerpiece of the project: the demolition and reconstruction of Terminal 2, which will be converted into a combined domestic and international terminal.”

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/poli...s-faa-approval

Can someone post the text from the article? It's locked behind a paywall for me. Thanks!

OhioGuy Nov 21, 2022 9:46 PM

^ No paywall for the Sun Times article:

O’Hare expansion gets final OK from feds

Quote:

O’Hare International Airport got the official federal go-ahead Monday for a $7.1 billion project to replace Terminal 2 with a “global terminal” intended to link domestic and international flights in one location.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, Mayor Lori Lightfoot and other dignitaries announced that the Federal Aviation Administration had completed a four-year environmental study paving the way for the project.

“When it opens, the O’Hare Global Terminal will be one of the most transformative terminal investments in America, more than doubling the amount of space of the existing Terminal 2,” said Chicago Aviation Commissioner Jamie Rhee.

The project is expected to start with two new satellite concourses, providing about 1.3 million square feet of gate and amenity space, which will “dramatically expand the airport’s ability to accommodate aircraft of all sizes,” Lightfoot said. “This is a big deal for us.”

twister244 Nov 21, 2022 10:19 PM

Quote:

Under the plan, the existing Terminal 2 would be demolished and replaced with the “global terminal,” which would accept both domestic and international flights. O’Hare would become the first “global alliance hub” in the nation. It will allow domestic airlines and the international carriers they partner with to be in the same terminal — and that means passengers connecting to international flights won’t have to ride the People Mover to Terminal 5, also known as the international terminal.
That's news to me...... And super cool. I had just assumed that the Global Terminal would be like 5 in being mostly international, but this is super cool.

rivernorthlurker Nov 22, 2022 1:57 PM

Yimby Article

https://chicagoyimby.com/2022/11/con...l-airport.html

Some SOM renderings of the satellite terminals

https://chicagoyimby.com/wp-content/...-2048x1020.png

https://chicagoyimby.com/wp-content/...-2048x1020.png

nomarandlee Nov 22, 2022 4:11 PM

I think those are still the placeholder renders from a few years ago? It will be interesting to see when/if they release the renderings of the SOM satellite terminals.

An overall project increase of 4billion dollars before shovels hit the ground. A lot of expense accounts and office parties in the last few years since the current estimate. I wonder if there is any chance the final price tag will be kept under 20billion when the ribbon cutting happens.

jonesrmj Nov 23, 2022 12:43 AM

Yeah, we've already seen those renderings before. They were from SOM's Global Terminal proposal. I wonder when we will get newer renderings, especially if they are going to be breaking ground soon on the first satellite concourse.

kbud Nov 24, 2022 1:56 PM

Quote:

1. Satellite 1

Unless the plan changed, the people mover was not part of the satellite 1 and satellite 2 plan. When the project was announced I thought it was crazy. They were going to put the train tunnel in, but not the people mover until the way out future when they add additional satellites. The reason as always was cost. Not only would the walks be awful, but what a poor experience for Chicago. Imagine arriving at the end of the new satellite 2 and have to walk to B16. I hope this execution changed, but I’ve seen nothing on this being part of the plan.

nomarandlee Nov 24, 2022 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbud (Post 9798535)
Unless the plan changed, the people mover was not part of the satellite 1 and satellite 2 plan. When the project was announced I thought it was crazy. They were going to put the train tunnel in, but not the people mover until the way out future when they add additional satellites. The reason as always was cost. Not only would the walks be awful, but what a poor experience for Chicago. Imagine arriving at the end of the new satellite 2 and have to walk to B16. I hope this execution changed, but I’ve seen nothing on this being part of the plan.

Indeed. And while the idea of the idea of setting up the airport to serve alliences is great it still will leave travelers who are not using allience connections left in the dark if there are is not eventual airside connections between T5 and the rest of the airport.

Maybe the cases of people traveling on Southwest only to catch a United flight to Munich may be rare, but I know I've logged such trips before. As long as you ask any travelers to make cumbersome multi-hour connections it can't be considered a first class airport.

twister244 Nov 25, 2022 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 9798737)
Indeed. And while the idea of the idea of setting up the airport to serve alliences is great it still will leave travelers who are not using allience connections left in the dark if there are is not eventual airside connections between T5 and the rest of the airport.

Maybe the cases of people traveling on Southwest only to catch a United flight to Munich may be rare, but I know I've logged such trips before. As long as you ask any travelers to make cumbersome multi-hour connections it can't be considered a first class airport.

I get all of that, but at the end of the day, you can only accommodate so many different travelers. As someone who has done enough traveling, I know better than to schedule any flights where I have tight connections. If a flyer schedules a SW flight to T5 only to have an hour layover before their flight to Munich in the new Global Terminal - That's on them.

k1052 Nov 26, 2022 4:40 PM

An airside connection to T5 would be nice but it's not necessary since most people will be traveling on the same alliance. Anybody who is not will more than likely know to leave extra connection time to re-clear at another terminal.

Kngkyle Nov 26, 2022 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 9798737)

This use case is applicable to like 0.01% of passenger throughput and almost no airport of O'Hares size makes this easy nor should they prioritize that. If there was demand for it the city could easily run airside shuttle busses connecting T3 to T5. There is no such demand. I also doubt the airline alliances are keen on making this easier.

Roy_Batty Nov 27, 2022 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbud (Post 9798535)

That’s a bummer. This is supposed to be a decade long project, so whenever we come to the time when planning for new satellites is necessary, that’s gonna be 20/30 years? Hard to think you will compete with Atlanta without the people mover connecting the satellites with the global terminal.

Kngkyle Nov 27, 2022 6:50 PM

Arrived at T5 the other day from St. Maarten, gated at M33 (very far end), and while the walk was indeed long it wasn't really out of the ordinary. The tunnel I thought was pretty modern/nice looking, just needs a little flair of color/decor here and there. It'll age better than the new T1/T2/T3 tunnels connecting to the Blue Line. There were multiple staff politely guiding people where to go. Lines were all short. Lightfoot announcements continue to be cringe.

Roy_Batty Nov 27, 2022 9:37 PM

^ Are you referring to the tunnel/hallway that connects the new T5 extension with the old T5 building? I wouldn’t really call that a tunnel though.

Kngkyle Nov 28, 2022 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy_Batty (Post 9800513)
^ Are you referring to the tunnel/hallway that connects the new T5 extension with the old T5 building? I wouldn’t really call that a tunnel though.

No, the sterile corridor you take when arriving from an international destination to get to the customs area.

Chicago29 Nov 28, 2022 3:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 9800427)
Arrived at T5 the other day from St. Maarten, gated at M33 (very far end), and while the walk was indeed long it wasn't really out of the ordinary. The tunnel I thought was pretty modern/nice looking, just needs a little flair of color/decor here and there. It'll age better than the new T1/T2/T3 tunnels connecting to the Blue Line. There were multiple staff politely guiding people where to go. Lines were all short. Lightfoot announcements continue to be cringe.

I actually flew out of M33 the other day, first time going to T5 in almost two decades. With virtually no memory of what T5 was like before, I was very disappointed. That is what O'Hare got out of its 'newest' terminal? Narrow walking space upon entering at arrivals. No clear signage on where to find security. Security itself is dark and feels cramped, with basically no space to gather your belongings after which is needed in post-9/11 TSA travel. Cramped and LOUD carpeted concourse, except at the annex.

The annex is a vast improvement over the rest of T5, even if it feels like a rushed C- grade design of an architect trying to poorly copy every other large-ceiling 21st century airport design. The physical space and natural light make everything feel relaxed and bright, a stark contrast to the rest of T5. But the annex just feels weird in comparison to the rest of T5 because there is no flow between them. It's obviously better to have more modern space than not, but overall this may be a theme of new O'Hare circa-2035; great to be upsized to meet 21st century travel demands in gates and new expected amenities, however all of O'Hare will have a hodgepodge Frankenstein feel of misfit connected parts.

Kngkyle Nov 28, 2022 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago29 (Post 9800820)
I actually flew out of M33 the other day, first time going to T5 in almost two decades. With virtually no memory of what T5 was like before, I was very disappointed. That is what O'Hare got out of its 'newest' terminal? Narrow walking space upon entering at arrivals. No clear signage on where to find security. Security itself is dark and feels cramped, with basically no space to gather your belongings after which is needed in post-9/11 TSA travel. Cramped and LOUD carpeted concourse, except at the annex.

The annex is a vast improvement over the rest of T5, even if it feels like a rushed C- grade design of an architect trying to poorly copy every other large-ceiling 21st century airport design. The physical space and natural light make everything feel relaxed and bright, a stark contrast to the rest of T5. But the annex just feels weird in comparison to the rest of T5 because there is no flow between them. It's obviously better to have more modern space than not, but overall this may be a theme of new O'Hare circa-2035; great to be upsized to meet 21st century travel demands in gates and new expected amenities, however all of O'Hare will have a hodgepodge Frankenstein feel of misfit connected parts.

Nothing in T5 is complete except for the Delta gates and lounge. Even the annex portion is missing all of the concessions and many finishing touches.

Agree that O'Hare is definitely a hodgepodge Frankenstein though, and I don't see that getting much better until the whole revamp is complete in ~10 years. Completing the project without reducing capacity/impacting operations just necessitates everything be done piecemeal.

twister244 Nov 29, 2022 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 9801189)
Nothing in T5 is complete except for the Delta gates and lounge. Even the annex portion is missing all of the concessions and many finishing touches.

Agree that O'Hare is definitely a hodgepodge Frankenstein though, and I don't see that getting much better until the whole revamp is complete in ~10 years. Completing the project without reducing capacity/impacting operations just necessitates everything be done piecemeal.

That and we need to remember that T5 is not going to be the main hub of international activity - The Global Terminal will be. The remainder of T5 can always be upgraded down the road after everything else is complete. I would rather see more effort into getting the new Global terminal and sats right than spending too much time on T5.

My only gripe continues to be the security checkpoints, but I still suspect that is still being worked on (as with concessions, etc).

twister244 Dec 8, 2022 4:34 PM

Arrived from Dubai on Monday afternoon and customs was a shit show......

Although it didn't feel like so much a problem of lack of stations to get through as it was an issue of lack of agents. More frustrating is it seemed like many of the agents had no incentive to get folks through, were joking around, etc. Not sure if this is a problem in other airports....

I would assume this is something that won't get too much TLC in the short-term since the global terminal will occupy more international arrivals in the future.

Also agree with some previous posts about getting to CTA from T5. There doesn't seem to be good signage signaling people on where exactly to go. Would love to see O'Hare invest a few pennies to direct people.

Tom In Chicago Dec 14, 2022 8:31 PM

Arrived yesterday at T3 and noticed two things that were infuriating. . . homeless people are allowed to lounge around inside the terminal baggage pickup areas. . . no one seemed to notice them except me. . . also the curb side Nazis are fucking useless and should be moved inside to deal with the homeless. . . why they're out there telling people to move along while loading and picking up is utterly ridiculous. . . [/rant]

. . .

nomarandlee Dec 14, 2022 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago (Post 9815679)
Arrived yesterday at T3 and noticed two things that were infuriating. . . homeless people are allowed to lounge around inside the terminal baggage pickup areas. . . no one seemed to notice them except me. . . also the curb side Nazis are fucking useless and should be moved inside to deal with the homeless. . . why they're out there telling people to move along is utterly ridiculous. . . [/rant]

. . .

I totally agree. I have no idea how common theft is near the baggage claim (I am guessing not at all infrequent), but it has always worried me how open access the baggage claim area is and getting to the claim before Mr. Rando does. I hope that the redvelopment of the terminals includes closing access only to passengers in the future like a proper airport should.

Of course moving violations get authorities revenue while lost or stolen luggage is of minimal consequences to them.

N830MH Dec 14, 2022 9:16 PM

Quote:

Arrived yesterday at T3 and noticed two things that were infuriating. . . homeless people are allowed to lounge around inside the terminal baggage pickup areas. . . no one seemed to notice them except me. . . also the curb side Nazis are fucking useless and should be moved inside to deal with the homeless. . . why they're out there telling people to move along while loading and picking up is utterly ridiculous. . . [/rant]

. . .

That's ridiculous! They are not supposed to be there. They have to leave! They are not allowed to visit the lounge. Ticketed Passengers Only. I'm aware of that. I'm sure TSA, ORD Police are very aware of that.

Kngkyle Dec 14, 2022 9:53 PM

Quote:

. . .

The place has turned into Lori O'Homeless Airport since 2021.

You step off the plane and are greeted by large banners of a grinning Lori Lightfoot. You hear overhead announcements by Lightfoot talking about how Chicago is the greatest city in the world. As you make your way to the CTA station you pass a number of panhandlers and homeless sleeping in the tunnels connecting the station to the terminals, making sure to dodge the buckets scattered around collecting water from the leaking roof. Then you enjoy the sights and smells of the Blue Line as you slowly crawl to the Loop in a 40 year old L car that looks every bit it's age.

It's one hell of a first impression.

Ok, maybe that's a slight exaggeration but as someone who has taken over 30 flights out of O'Hare this year it ain't too far off. It's just very frustrating as someone who loves the place and wants it to be better but nobody seems to give a shit.

Tom In Chicago Dec 15, 2022 7:20 PM

^No that about sums it up. . .

. . .

left of center Dec 15, 2022 7:27 PM

Wow, that's terrible. I've flown in and out of O'hare about a half dozen times this year and haven't seen any homeless. I almost never check bags, but I do pass the baggage claim areas since I am using the blue line to get to/from the airport.

Hopefully this issue is corrected, and ASAP. The airport is going to be someone's first impression of Chicago. Homelessness is not the image we want to project.

Chicago29 Dec 16, 2022 1:49 PM

General curiosity for those who frequent O'Hare, what are your thoughts now that the ATS is fully running this many months later?
  • Is the service noticeably faster than the previous iteration?
  • Is headway between trains reliable/comparable to other airports?
  • Thoughts on the consolidated rental car facility? It seems more convenient to get to using the ATS rather than jumping on a shuttle. I recently used Tampa's ATS and it seemed relatively fast, but the rental car facility was also closer to the main terminal compared to ORD's layout.
  • Is traffic along the terminals lessened with fewer rental car shuttles?

left of center Dec 16, 2022 7:47 PM

I haven't taken the ATS to the car rental center, but it doesn't look terribly far from the terminals when looking at a map. At Miami airport, depending on your arrival terminal, you may have to take two trains to eventually reach their car rental center, the SkyTrain (or the MIA E train if you are in Concourse E) from your gate/terminal to the main terminal, and then the MIA mover to the car rental center. Its a few minutes walk between the stations as well.

MayorOfChicago Dec 21, 2022 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago29 (Post 9817370)
General curiosity for those who frequent O'Hare, what are your thoughts now that the ATS is fully running this many months later?
  • Is the service noticeably faster than the previous iteration?
  • Is headway between trains reliable/comparable to other airports?
  • Thoughts on the consolidated rental car facility? It seems more convenient to get to using the ATS rather than jumping on a shuttle. I recently used Tampa's ATS and it seemed relatively fast, but the rental car facility was also closer to the main terminal compared to ORD's layout.
  • Is traffic along the terminals lessened with fewer rental car shuttles?

It's the same as it always was. Not any faster and the frequency is the same, trains look the same. Trying to remember when we got out at the rental car facility as we parked our cars there. I think entering the building it dumps you right into the building and leaving you have to go up and over it with an escalator.

rivernorthlurker Dec 26, 2022 8:06 PM

https://www.journal-topics.com/artic...28-completion/

Quote:

The FAA’s decision clears the way for construction to begin on the satellite concourses and related airfield work when the ground thaws in spring 2023. The current construction timeline calls for the first satellite concourse to be completed in 2027 and the second satellite concourse to reach completion in 2028.
Quote:

Demolition of Terminal 2, the airport’s oldest passenger facility, will occur in phases. The work is scheduled to begin in 2026, with a target completion date of 2030 for construction of the O’Hare Global Terminal. Construction of a large tunnel connecting passengers, baggage, and utilities between the O’Hare Global Terminal and the satellite concourses is anticipated to begin in 2024 with a construction completion date of 2030. All dates are subject to additional alteration as the extensive and challenging construction cycle begins next year.
Quote:

Notably, O’Hare is one of only two airports in the country coming out of the pandemic with two higher credit ratings than it had going into it, with two recent upgrades from Fitch Ratings, and one from S&P Global Ratings on the O’Hare General Airport Revenue Bonds and the Passenger Facility Charge Bonds. These are the first rating upgrades for O’Hare in at least six years.