SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

the urban politician Aug 7, 2021 3:25 PM

Pedestrian still is hung up on the “getting Covid” paranoia when we are all well past that.

What matters is the “getting seriously ill from Covid”.

For him, just testing positive for Covid, by itself, is a vaccine failure and thus synonymous with death. Thus we all need to lock ourselves in our basements with masks on and peer out our windows suspiciously at strangers, frequently yelling “Get out, you snerks!” like he does :haha:

the urban politician Aug 7, 2021 3:28 PM

The idiots that make up our local media keep trying to throw wrenches in happiness. All sorts of art fairs, music festivals, etc are happening and each report is accompanied by the stereotypical “But Covid concerns remain”. It’s like clockwork. Mass paranoia, actually more akin to a society wide mental illness.

All you need is one germaphobe to ruin a good thing. One paranoid person is given a soapbox to cry about how it’s “Oh so dangerous and irresponsible because of the……………….gasp…………sob..………..Delta variant!”

Oh noes!!! We all gonna die!!!!!! Oh NOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the urban politician Aug 7, 2021 3:35 PM

This is Pedestrian:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cYNhmqmtF...0/paranoid.jpg

Get out, you snerks!

SteveD Aug 7, 2021 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9359699)
This is the thing so few seem to understand-there are consequences to lockdowns not to mention the fact they are a hypothetical solution cooked up by a 14 year old girl to try and inhibit a virus that isn't even dangerous in the first place. Never in human history have the healthy been quarantined before. On top of everything else, the World Health Organization opposes lockdowns. People have lost their minds and I think part of the reason why was the faulty modelling done for covid which predicted it to be far more dangerous than it was and government's inability to change course based on those original faulty models

This constant harping on lockdowns is laughable. We never had them. All the way through this pandemic...I've never been "locked down". What makes you think there's a threat of something that's never happened to begin with.

TWAK Aug 7, 2021 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9359699)
This is the thing so few seem to understand-there are consequences to lockdowns not to mention the fact they are a hypothetical solution cooked up by a 14 year old girl to try and inhibit a virus that isn't even dangerous in the first place. Never in human history have the healthy been quarantined before. On top of everything else, the World Health Organization opposes lockdowns. People have lost their minds and I think a big reason why was the faulty modelling done for covid which predicted it to be far more dangerous than it was and government's inability to change course based on those original faulty models

The Science (Fauci) said no new lockdowns, but he did say there will be many more mandates....and one would expect Canada to follow. Y'all got more vaccinated than us as a % anyway, so what are you worried about?

TWAK Aug 7, 2021 5:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9359729)
What, me worry?

Ok, "bothered".

Quote:

The only thing i've been bothered by throughout this pandemic is the utter and total lack of common sense demonstrated by people (particularly governments) that has deprived people of their rights and damaged the economy to save us all from a virus that isn't even dangerous. I shudder to think of what society would do if we actually encountered a dangerous virus
They were "bothered" by the virus...see how all of you are actually experiencing the same thing? I say the virus is dangerous...so who is the forum to believe? I can ante up and say that the variant is even more dangerous, and I would know since my area is going through a surge. No mask requirements though....although I wore one yesterday for the smoke. MASKING OUTSIDE.
Quote:

As far as vaccinations go, apparently we've really done some catching up here in Canada because a while ago our vaccination rate was way lower than the US but now we have a 64% fully vaxxed rate here versus 50% of Americans being fully vaxxed but unlike many here I don't consider those that haven't been vaccinated "idiots" because I understand people have many reasons to avoid the vaccine, not the least of which are the side effects
Our rates increased after the delta variant fear porn by the MSM (good job!), but we are still behind the country that really follows the science. You guys have bragging rights and I suggest you use it before our mandates bring up the percentages. They are not idiots if they can actually explain why they don't want the vaccine, but it's too late now.

Pedestrian Aug 8, 2021 12:42 AM

^^You're Canadian. You apparently live on an island. As long as you stay there, it's mostly a problem for your fellow islanders. Someday I suspect they won't thank you for being unvaccinated and you may wish you had been but it hardly matters to most of us.

MolsonExport Aug 8, 2021 1:47 AM

Quote:

I can link to numerous government websites proving it's not dangerous.
Shit, load of

LA21st Aug 8, 2021 2:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9359542)
I got in better shape too, but that’s because I made a point of it. And there wasn’t much else to do (like when Mike Tyson went to prison and got jacked). But most people didn’t do that, they watched Netflix, ordered delivery and drank on their sofa.

I hiked my ass off during covid. I'm in the best shape of my life probably

I don't plan on going back to being in worse shape, barring some future circumstances. Fuck being in bad condition if you can help it.

TWAK Aug 8, 2021 4:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9359905)
You can say the virus is dangerous and I can say it isn't but the difference is, I can link to numerous government websites proving it's not dangerous. If you can link to reliable sources proving covid is dangerous please do, but so far no one here has done that and it's clear the mainstream media can't be trusted because they want to scare all of us into buying what they're selling, particularly the Complete Nonsense Network (CNN) and Mostly Stupid News By Cowards (MSNBC)

The virus is dangerous and the variant is worse.
Quote:

You're right, if someone has a reason for not taking the vaccine (other than just irrational fear) then fair enough.
They have to explain it and be honest though, and I want to see some kinda timeline. If they happen to have other vaccinations but not COVID? Nah.
Quote:

I've explained a few times why I'm not interested in getting vaccinated but that wasn't good enough for people here, I still faced insults, derision and finger-wagging because they know better than I do about what's best for me :rolleyes:
You gotta deal with the Canadians on your own, but for the Americans we are coming around to accepting the unvaccinated as "the other". That means the rights of this group are considered less than the rights of the majority. I know it's messed up, but that's just how things work. Canada might be over 90% vaccinated so you're gonna be able to slip through the cracks, IMO.

homebucket Aug 8, 2021 4:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9359542)
I got in better shape too, but that’s because I made a point of it. And there wasn’t much else to do (like when Mike Tyson went to prison and got jacked). But most people didn’t do that, they watched Netflix, ordered delivery and drank on their sofa.

Yeah, I could probably take meetings from my fitness room if I wanted to, and lift weights on demand. No more skipping certain workouts because I ran out of time waiting for douche bros to finish firing off their texts or scrolling through their IG feed at the squat rack, or should I say, the texting rack.

JManc Aug 8, 2021 5:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9359542)
I got in better shape too, but that’s because I made a point of it. And there wasn’t much else to do (like when Mike Tyson went to prison and got jacked). But most people didn’t do that, they watched Netflix, ordered delivery and drank on their sofa.

You know what else Tyson did after he got out of the joint? Bit off someone's ear and got a face tattoo...

Pedestrian Aug 8, 2021 5:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9360009)
Yeah, I could probably take meetings from my fitness room if I wanted to, and lift weights on demand. No more skipping certain workouts because I ran out of time waiting for douche bros to finish firing off their texts or scrolling through their IG feed at the squat rack, or should I say, the texting rack.

Make sure you are wearing pants unlike a few now-famous incidents.

craigs Aug 9, 2021 4:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9360162)
Okay, so i'm supposed to believe the virus is dangerous because you say so? I don't think so, especially since I can prove covid isn't dangerous and what's more, all you did was assert that it's dangerous. An assertion is not proof. So where's the proof? The 600K+ dead Americans aren't proof because most of those people would be dead by now anyway

To literally use your same language and line of argumentation--because turnabout is fair play--"All you did was assert that the 600K+ dead Americans would be dead by now anyway. An assertion is not proof. So where's the proof?"

Pedestrian Aug 9, 2021 7:08 AM

Quote:

San Francisco will now bring COVID vaccines to people's homes
Danielle Echeverria
Aug. 3, 2021
Updated: Aug. 3, 2021 4:39 p.m.

In another push to reach the unvaccinated in San Francisco [which at this point is 15% of the population over 12], the city will be bringing COVID-19 vaccines to people’s homes, Mayor London Breed announced Tuesday.

If a person can get anywhere from five to 12 people together who want to get vaccinated, the city will send a mobile vaccine unit — doctors or nurses plus vaccine equipment — to their home or workplace to administer the vaccine.

The mobile vaccine unit has been serving vulnerable populations—such as seniors in residential homes, and people who are homebound or homeless — since February and has given around 6,000 doses. Now, the service is available to anyone who organizes a small group, even if it’s just their own family members . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...o-16361713.php

the urban politician Aug 9, 2021 1:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9359905)
If you can link to reliable sources proving covid is dangerous please do, s:

^ Over 600,000 people died of COVID within a year just in the US

It is estimated that 1 million people in India died of COVID

That information is readily available, I don't need to provide you any links.

You need to put to rest this lie that COVID isn't dangerous. You're acting like this is a make believe fantasy, but it isn't.

I will agree with you that for vaccinated people, COVID is not more dangerous than other viruses that we live with (unless you are a crazy germaphobe like Pedestrian), but pre-vaccine COVID was definitely worse than Influenza.

twister244 Aug 9, 2021 4:32 PM

Was in Boystown this past weekend for Market Days - Bars had lines out of them the entire time, and inside was packed. All places required proof of vaccinations too. Overall, felt pretty normal to me.

It was a beautiful thing.

sopas ej Aug 9, 2021 4:39 PM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...bc2706c1_n.jpg

Just in case people need to be reminded...

Pedestrian Aug 9, 2021 7:00 PM

Quote:

COVID-19 cases surge in Marin nursing homes, vaccinations ordered
By RICHARD HALSTEAD | Marin Independent Journal
PUBLISHED: August 8, 2021 at 7:58 a.m. | UPDATED: August 8, 2021 at 4:18 p.m.

A surge in COVID-19 cases at nursing homes in Marin has prompted the county’s top public health official to issue a new order about vaccinations and visitors.

As of Thursday, 24 residents and staff members at four Marin nursing homes had tested positive for coronavirus since the beginning of last week.

“As the delta variant spreads, we’re seeing more cases in facilities,” said Dr. Matt Willis, Marin’s public health officer. “The majority of cases in facilities countywide are among unvaccinated staff. The current cluster of cases at the Redwoods is our largest, with 12 as of today. Most are among staff.”

Willis said he has issued an order requiring visitors to Marin County nursing homes be vaccinated. Additionally, exposed staff and residents must quarantine for 14 days regardless of vaccination status. Any center with an outbreak must test staff twice weekly.

The new local order comes amid a rise in cases across the nation and a new state order issued this week requiring staff at hospitals and long-term care centers in California to be vaccinated by Aug. 23.

The order stated, “Recent outbreaks in health care settings have frequently been traced to unvaccinated staff members, demonstrating the risk of unvaccinated persons in these settings.”

The state is also requiring that visitors to hospitals, skilled nursing centers and intermediate care centers either be vaccinated or have tested negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours prior to indoor visits. That order goes into effect Aug. 11.

Following dramatic drops in infections over the last several months, the number of coronavirus cases among the nation’s nursing home residents and staff tripled from July 4 to 25, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

A total of 9,371 confirmed COVID-19 outbreaks and 113,196 outbreak-related cases were reported from Jan. 1 to July 27, according to the state Department of Public Health. The two most common settings were residential care centers, which accounted for 22.5% of them, and skilled nursing sites, which accounted for nearly 10% . . . .
https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/08/...content=manual

the urban politician Aug 9, 2021 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9360400)
Was in Boystown this past weekend for Market Days - Bars had lines out of them the entire time, and inside was packed. All places required proof of vaccinations too. Overall, felt pretty normal to me.

It was a beautiful thing.

Nice, I'm perfectly fine with private businesses saying "show me your vaccine card" prior to admitting people

Camelback Aug 9, 2021 8:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9360561)
Unlike others who just believe covid is dangerous I provide charts stats and facts proving otherwise but i'm sure that won't sway some of you, you'll just dig your heels in deeper:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ekly/index.htm

In the under 50 age group,
There have been 29,249 Covid deaths out of 497,036 total deaths over the same period of time.



Ages 0-17, 349 total Covid deaths out of 51,892 total deaths in the age group.

craigs Aug 9, 2021 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9360561)
Unlike others who just believe covid is dangerous I provide charts, stats and facts proving otherwise but i'm sure that won't sway some of you, you'll just dig your heels in deeper:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ekly/index.htm

Ridiculous. You are merely pointing to the same data the rest of us see and declaring that your controversial conclusion--absent any supporting premises whatsoever--is somehow proven true. That is not how any of this works in the real world.

the urban politician Aug 9, 2021 9:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9360561)
I never said covid is make believe, it's clearly real, it's just not dangerous

So all you understand is the death toll?

I argue with the Left, I argue with the Right

It's the same idiocy. You just think that repeating something over and over makes you correct

:koko: Enjoy your lunacy

Handro Aug 9, 2021 9:51 PM

My dad has an anti-vaxxer working for him, he just got a text that she is in the emergency room with COVID. He and my mom have plane tickets to visit my sister and her family in Europe in two weeks (they haven't seen my niece and nephew in almost two years...)

Here's hoping Pfizer holds up... would be pretty pissed for them if this woman's selfishness cost them the trip.

Pedestrian Aug 9, 2021 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 9360645)
My dad has an anti-vaxxer working for him, he just got a text that she is in the emergency room with COVID.

Best place for her. And depending on where she lives, she may be there a while because hospitals are running out of inpatient beds and keeping people in ERs for days now.

EmmaOlivia Aug 10, 2021 2:43 AM

I wonder if this mobile vaccine is being implemented to other countries. Watching the news globally, most of the people are going in a certain vaccination site. There's also a long que and will even take them about 4 hours before getting vaccinated.

SIGSEGV Aug 10, 2021 4:06 AM

Well, my parents flew into Chicago this weekend, first time seeing them in almost 2 years (last time was Thanksiving 2019--I went to Pole for the winter holidays that year and then COVID happened). Life in Chicago is normal enough that we had enough to do (though we did avoid eating inside and wore masks indoors everywhere). My zip code appears to be ~97% vaccinated, but most people on the street don't live here.

AMnd today Canada opened its borders to vaccinated Americans, so we rented a car and drove to Hamilton to meet up with my sister who lives in Montreal and had a baby about 8 weeks ago, who we finally got to meet. It was a bit dramatic getting the COVID test results before the border crossing (the test has to be within 72 hours... but it was actually kind of hard to find a test appointment that wasn't too inconvient, and then they didn't send us the results until like 2 hours before we reached Port Huron which was a bit stressful).

Pedestrian Aug 10, 2021 6:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9360899)
It was a bit dramatic getting the COVID test results before the border crossing (the test has to be within 72 hours... but it was actually kind of hard to find a test appointment that wasn't too inconvient, and then they didn't send us the results until like 2 hours before we reached Port Huron which was a bit stressful).

Regarding testing, I recently needed a test after I was informed I had been exposed during a hospital visit and I found them much harder to get now than 6 months ago or last year. A lot of test sites have closed for lack of demand because people who are vaccinated aren’t running off to get a test at every sniffle.

In order to be prepared if I ever needed a test in the future, I found my neighborhood CVS now selling do-it-yourself antigen test kits made by Abbot Labs for, as I recall, about $23 for 2 tests and I bought 2 kits (enough for 4 tests). I assume these home tests wouldn’t work for an official purpose like border crossing but it’ll be nice to just be able to test myself if I ever get flu-like symptoms or find out about an exposure in the future. No need to search the internet for a convenient testing site or take the time to go get in line. And you get your result in 15 minutes.

Pedestrian Aug 10, 2021 6:42 AM

Quote:

Austin, Texas, activates emergency alert system as COVID crisis reaches "critical" point
Rebecca Falconer
Sun, August 8, 2021, 6:22 PM·1 min read

Austin, Texas, issued an emergency alert this weekend over the "severely worsening COVID-19 situation," which has reached a "critical" point, officials said.

Why it matters: The Warn Central Texas alert system was designed to be activated during a disaster. "Our hospitals are severely stressed and there is little we can do to alleviate their burden with the surging cases," Austin-Travis County Health Authority's Desmar Walkes said in a statement.

"The public has to act now and help our we will face a catastrophe in our community that could have been avoided."

"Hospital bed availability and critical care is extremely limited in our hospital systems, not just for COVID-19 patients, but for anyone who may need treatment," Walkes added. "The community has to come together again and stave off disaster."

The big picture: The alert, sent via text message, phone call and email to City of Austin and Travis County residents on Saturday, comes as the Delta variant drives a spike in COVID-19 cases across Texas.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) issued a state-wide ban on mask and vaccine mandates on July 29, saying "the path forward relies on personal responsibility."

On the same day, he blocked the ground transportation of undocumented migrants detained by Customs Border Patrol, citing the surge in coronavirus cases as the basis for that order.
https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/...1&guccounter=1

According to national news shows tonight Austin had 6 available ICU beds in the city.

In a related matter, I saw one forecast tonight that if conditions in Florida don't improve in the next 6 days, which everyone agrees is unlikely, the state's hospital systems will "collapse". Seems a little dramatic but they are clearly having it hard and I've guessed the delta wave won't likely peak until mid to late August as far as hospitalizations go (this is not just my idea but consistent with what Scott Gottlieb and other independent "experts" who show up on TV news a lot are also saying).

10023 Aug 10, 2021 8:15 AM

What does that even mean? Waiting lists go up to not quite normal NHS England times?

Just prioritise anyone else in critical or serious condition over unvaccinated Covid patients. Get to them when and if you get to them. Easiest triage ever.

hauntedheadnc Aug 10, 2021 9:58 AM

Masks are being reinstated at my job as of today. They never went away at my husband's job, and we both work in medical clinics. I've noticed a slow, but steady rise in the number of patients wearing them, and they've started to appear on the faces of shoppers at various stores whereas before, only the workers were wearing them.

I guess this means I should trim my beard for a better fit.

the urban politician Aug 10, 2021 11:59 AM

Masks never stopped being mandated at my job

I still don’t wear a mask at indoor establishments because, well, it’s a public health measure and let the unvaccinated idiots get Covid, I don’t care.

My 12 year old got his first Pfizer shot yesterday

chris08876 Aug 10, 2021 12:59 PM

Playing around with some maps. Delta spread very very fast with respect to transmission.

Note the dates.

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...03abf2a3a.jpeg

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...b23b75663.jpeg

And as of today.

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...ed93bba91f.png

Camelback Aug 10, 2021 1:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 9360953)
Masks are being reinstated at my job as of today. They never went away at my husband's job, and we both work in medical clinics. I've noticed a slow, but steady rise in the number of patients wearing them, and they've started to appear on the faces of shoppers at various stores whereas before, only the workers were wearing them.

I guess this means I should trim my beard for a better fit.

My personal preference for facial hair, mask wearing comfort was about 4 days of growth. The face covering gets stuck on the stubble from a 5 o'clock shadow or second day of growth. A full beard is annoying and too hot to have to wear something over it, especially in summer and if you're a hypochondriac, beards + masks do little of anything at preventing a virus from entering or exiting your body.

hauntedheadnc Aug 10, 2021 1:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9360994)
My personal preference for facial hair, mask wearing comfort was about 4 days of growth. The face covering gets stuck on the stubble from a 5 o'clock shadow or second day of growth. A full beard is annoying and too hot to have to wear something over it, especially in summer and if you're a hypochondriac, beards + masks do little of anything at preventing a virus from entering your body.

I'm vaccinated, and I'm wearing a mask because the people who pay my salary are telling me to wear a mask. Unfortunately, I also like to rock a good Czar Nicholas II beard and mustache, which I will need to trim. I put my mask on today and it was like trying to stuff too large a tit into too small a bra cup.

SIGSEGV Aug 10, 2021 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9360920)
Regarding testing, I recently needed a test after I was informed I had been exposed during a hospital visit and I found them much harder to get now than 6 months ago or last year. A lot of test sites have closed for lack of demand because people who are vaccinated aren’t running off to get a test at every sniffle.

In order to be prepared if I ever needed a test in the future, I found my neighborhood CVS now selling do-it-yourself antigen test kits made by Abbot Labs for, as I recall, about $23 for 2 tests and I bought 2 kits (enough for 4 tests). I assume these home tests wouldn’t work for an official purpose like border crossing but it’ll be nice to just be able to test myself if I ever get flu-like symptoms or find out about an exposure in the future. No need to search the internet for a convenient testing site or take the time to go get in line. And you get your result in 15 minutes.

I took one of those at home tests in Greenland before coming back to the US (though since I flew via ANG, nobody checked). You are on camera the whole time which was kinda strange but overall it was easy (except everyone was doing it at the same time and the internet in the NSF dorm couldn't handle that very well). It was silly since I had just gotten off from 5 weeks on the ice with no pax flights in the intervening time so there was no vector for transmission.

We didn't to for it this time since we weren't sure it would be acceptable to Canada.

eschaton Aug 10, 2021 2:58 PM

Delta seems to be getting close to burning itself out where it first became commonplace - in Missouri and Arkansas. In both states the rate of growth began slowing over the last two weeks, and cases seem to have finally peaked. Which suggests most states will experience rapid growth for around 4-6 weeks, at which point cases will subside. Basically because it runs out of unvaccinated hosts who interact with lots of people.

the urban politician Aug 10, 2021 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 9361068)
Delta seems to be getting close to burning itself out where it first became commonplace - in Missouri and Arkansas. In both states the rate of growth began slowing over the last two weeks, and cases seem to have finally peaked. Which suggests most states will experience rapid growth for around 4-6 weeks, at which point cases will subside. Basically because it runs out of unvaccinated hosts who interact with lots of people.

^ I have a rather unique window into what's going on with the unvaccinated, as I speak to many of them.

A good proportion of the population, perhaps 30%, are rigid in their stance and we aren't going to change their minds.

Our best hope for nationwide "community" immunity is to just allow the virus to spread through that population so that they will have immunity as well. They are digging their own grave but hey, not much more that we can do.

eschaton Aug 10, 2021 3:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9361074)
^ I have a rather unique window into what's going on with the unvaccinated, as I speak to many of them.

A good proportion of the population, perhaps 30%, are rigid in their stance and we aren't going to change their minds.

Our best hope for nationwide "community" immunity is to just allow the virus to spread through that population so that they will have immunity as well. They are digging their own grave but hey, not much more that we can do.

I mostly agree, but I really, really wish that vaccines were available for kids right now so I could totally not give a fuck and advocate "letting it rip."

That said, it appears even among children parents being vaccinated alone massively reduces their risk of contracting COVID.

the urban politician Aug 10, 2021 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 9361075)
I mostly agree, but I really, really wish that vaccines were available for kids right now so I could totally not give a fuck and advocate "letting it rip."

That said, it appears even among children parents being vaccinated alone massively reduces their risk of contracting COVID.

Yes, I agree. As I stated above, my 12 year old had his birthday 3 days ago and we got him his 1st Pfizer shot yesterday.

My other son is only 10, though, and I'm hoping vaccinations become approved for him so that we can get him innoculated.

Once that happens, screw everybody else

Steely Dan Aug 10, 2021 3:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 9361075)
I mostly agree, but I really, really wish that vaccines were available for kids right now so I could totally not give a fuck and advocate "letting it rip."

Yep.

My 5 and 6 year olds (and their friends) are the only people that I regularly socialize with who haven't gotten vaxxed.

I can't wait til they get their jabs so that I can really not give a fuck about covid anymore.

eschaton Aug 10, 2021 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9361094)
Yes, I agree. As I stated above, my 12 year old had his birthday 3 days ago and we got him his 1st Pfizer shot yesterday.

My other son is only 10, though, and I'm hoping vaccinations become approved for him so that we can get him innoculated.

Once that happens, screw everybody else

Yeah, my daughter gets her first jab the day after her birthday on the 23rd. But my son is 7 (about to turn 8), so he has months yet to wait.

10023 Aug 10, 2021 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 9361068)
Delta seems to be getting close to burning itself out where it first became commonplace - in Missouri and Arkansas. In both states the rate of growth began slowing over the last two weeks, and cases seem to have finally peaked. Which suggests most states will experience rapid growth for around 4-6 weeks, at which point cases will subside. Basically because it runs out of unvaccinated hosts who interact with lots of people.

This all would have burned itself out by last summer if the world hadn’t freaked out so much. Probably with the same number or fewer aggregate deaths if older people had voluntarily isolated for that much time.

10023 Aug 10, 2021 6:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9361102)
Yep.

My 5 and 6 year olds (and their friends) are the only people that I regularly socialize with who haven't gotten vaxxed.

I can't wait til they get their jabs so that I can really not give a fuck about covid anymore.

Are you really worried about your 5 and 6 year olds getting Covid? There are a lot of things that I’d be far more worried about.

Steely Dan Aug 10, 2021 6:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9361266)
Are you really worried about your 5 and 6 year olds getting Covid?

not really.

as I discussed before with you, i'm desperate to get my kids vaxxed, and all other under-12s, so that the CTU has one less leg to stand on when they start bitching and moaning (they're already fear-mongering over delta, to absolutely no one's surprise).

i NEED my kids in school, everyday, all-day, 5 days a week.

no more remote-learning bullshit.

Pedestrian Aug 10, 2021 6:22 PM

Quote:

William McKeon, chief executive of Houston’s Texas Medical Center, a group of 60 hospitals that comprise the world’s largest medical district, said the current surge of Covid-19 patients has risen far faster than previous ones and he believes it will get worse. The number of Covid-19 hospitalizations has increased to about 9,500 this week, approaching a previous high of about 14,000 in January. People in their 20s are on ventilators, Mr. McKeon said.

“All of [the hospitals] are saying the same thing: We have never seen a surge like this before,” he said. “We have never seen them sicker when they walk through the door. We have never seen them younger. And they just keep coming.”

Deaths, which tend to lag behind hospitalizations by a few weeks, are a fraction of those seen in January. The state logged 42 deaths July 23, the most recent data available. The highest number of deaths logged in a single day was 387 on Jan. 13.

Texas Medical Center’s hospitals are hundreds of beds into their surge capacity and, while they have additional beds, they don’t have enough nurses to support the hundreds of new Covid-19 patients being admitted each day, Mr. McKeon said. Staffing levels have dropped as some medical workers, affected by the trauma of the last year and a half, have left the field. Texas recently stopped sending state-funded support staff into hospitals in crisis, as the virus appeared to be waning. But on Monday, Mr. Abbott announced the state would begin doing so again, using out-of-state staffing services.

Houston, the country’s fourth-largest city with 2.3 million people, has developed a sophisticated system of tracking Covid-19 in the city’s sewer system, through weekly testing at 38 city wastewater plants. Tracking began during the first major surge of the virus, in July 2020. Last week, it measured 320% of the Covid-19 levels seen then—the highest, by far, since the pandemic began.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-h...=WTRN#cxrecs_s

homebucket Aug 10, 2021 6:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9361266)
Are you really worried about your 5 and 6 year olds getting Covid? There are a lot of things that I’d be far more worried about.

Quote:

Officials note surge in pediatric COVID-19 cases as ICU beds become limited

HOUSTON – The Texas Medical Center is reporting a rise in COVID cases with hospitalizations up over 400 percent this past month.

The TMC said they haven’t seen any type of surge since the peak of the pandemic in the summer of 2020, and many of the patients are young children who are unvaccinated.

“We have been seeing a huge number of kids coming in with Covid-19 infections and they are of all ages, from newborn to any age possible,” said Dr. Ali Naqvi a Pediatrician with UT Health.

According to reports, all five Houston Pediatric wards are full.

Earlier this week, 11-month Ava Ramirez contracted the virus and had to be airlifted to a hospital 150 miles away because there were no beds available.

Dr. Peter Hotez an expert on Contagious Diseases and Vaccine Development at Texas Children’s Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine said he believes this most recent surge could be just the beginning.

“Our Texas Medical center is filling up and the worry of course is all of this has to be contextualized with the fact that schools haven’t even opened yet,” said Hotez.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...ecome-limited/

Pedestrian Aug 10, 2021 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9361265)
This all would have burned itself out by last summer if the world hadn’t freaked out so much. Probably with the same number or fewer aggregate deaths if older people had voluntarily isolated for that much time.

That’s just stupid, cruel and ignorant like much of what you post. You simultaneously argue this but also that the virus is never going away. If both are true, it would never “burn itself out” to the point anyone unusually vulnerable, which isn’t just older people including most of the world’s political leaders, but anyone who has HIV or cancer or who is overweight etc, would have to hide forever.

Will you ever get over crying for what you think would make your own life better at the expense of anyone you need to toss overboard?

10023 Aug 10, 2021 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9361279)

These quotes and commentary are not data. They just send journos with tape recorders until they manage to get a hyperbolic quote and then print it.

the urban politician Aug 10, 2021 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9361278)
not really.

as I discussed before with you, i'm desperate to get my kids vaxxed, and all other under-12s, so that the CTU has one less leg to stand on when they start bitching and moaning (they're already fear-mongering over delta, to absolutely no one's surprise).

i NEED my kids in school, everyday, all-day, 5 days a week.

no more remote-learning bullshit.

I already offered you a solution

Come on over!

You can always live there when you're an empty nester :tup:


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.