SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

JManc Jun 14, 2020 2:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8951267)
Half full restaurants don’t work. They need to be able to operate normally, and soon. The hypochondriacs can stay home, and if the ones that rely on an older clientele fail that’s also fine.

Even if they were open at full capacity, people are staying at home on their own. Businesses are failing left and right because foot traffic is low.

SIGSEGV Jun 14, 2020 5:33 PM

We've been enjoying outdoor eating at restaurants here, or takeout in the park. I'm hoping case numbers don't skyrocket again soon, but we'll see.

mhays Jun 14, 2020 9:25 PM

Three months in and there's one certainty: The UK and US public is often clueless about the most basic points...starting with geometric expansion of cases and each person's role in that.

Or the most basic point imaginable...we have 160,000 deaths in the UK+US but we DON'T have multiples of that...because we've shut down.

There's also a strong entitlement culture in both countries.

10023 Jun 14, 2020 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8951295)
Even if they were open at full capacity, people are staying at home on their own. Businesses are failing left and right because foot traffic is low.

The restaurants that I care about would be full to capacity if only they were allowed to do so.

10023 Jun 14, 2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8951566)
Three months in and there's one certainty: The UK and US public is often clueless about the most basic points...starting with geometric expansion of cases and each person's role in that.

Or the most basic point imaginable...we have 160,000 deaths in the UK+US but we DON'T have multiples of that...because we've shut down.

There's also a strong entitlement culture in both countries.

Personal freedoms are important in both countries.

Italy, France and Spain had stricter shutdowns but are now pretty much wide open. I’m going to Italy in a couple weeks, and then plan to spend August in France.

mhays Jun 15, 2020 12:43 AM

Stricter and now more wide open....does this not spur a thought about why they can open up?

iheartthed Jun 15, 2020 1:36 AM

A few states in the south (Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama) seem to be heading towards a level of outbreak that risks overwhelming those states health care infrastructure. It's hard to imagine that these states will just let this burn, but that seems to be the stance on it right now.

eschaton Jun 15, 2020 2:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8951711)
A few states in the south (Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama) seem to be heading towards a level of outbreak that risks overwhelming those states health care infrastructure. It's hard to imagine that these states will just let this burn, but that seems to be the stance on it right now.

In general, it seems like the South/West are trending badly right now, while the Northeast/Midwest continue to trend downward. It's really not clear what is causing this regional difference.

Crawford Jun 15, 2020 2:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 8951730)
In general, it seems like the South/West are trending badly right now, while the Northeast/Midwest continue to trend downward. It's really not clear what is causing this regional difference.

Really? NE/Midwest were (and still are, to a great extent) still shut down, while South/West (excluding Pacific) were never totally shut down and opened much earlier. Also, the virus already burned through the hardest hit areas. The sickest people in the worst affected areas are already dead.

I mean, in the Northeast Corridor, basically everything is still shut down, and I can't remember the last time I saw someone not wearing a mask indoors. In contrast, my parents are in Florida, and they say no one is wearing a mask indoors anywhere, really. They're in Naples, and say it's as if the pandemic never existed. Also doesn't help that they're in a conservative, elderly, white bubble of retired Midwesterners who tend to lean strongly Trump.

10023 Jun 15, 2020 9:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8951677)
Stricter and now more wide open....does this not spur a thought about why they can open up?

It doesn’t matter. There are clusters popping up in Rome, Milan, and other places. China had the strictest possible lockdown (much stricter than could ever be implemented in the West), and there are cases showing up again now in Beijing.

No lockdown or adherence to any of these restrictions can eliminate the virus. It will be with us forever, but will mutate as it spreads through the population (most likely to become less deadly to its hosts).

The lockdowns had a viable purpose in preventing a capacity overload in the healthcare system, but we aren’t close to that now, so we just have to get on with it and let it spread, and more vulnerable people should act accordingly.

suburbanite Jun 15, 2020 1:27 PM

I don't understand how Florida hasn't been devastated yet given the demographics and apparent lack of general concern. At first there were reports of warmer weather helping slow the spread, but it doesn't seem to be helping Brazil that much.

JManc Jun 15, 2020 1:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8951606)
The restaurants that I care about would be full to capacity if only they were allowed to do so.

And you know this...how? Here Texas where freedom comes first or else, people are staying home despite businesses being open and the types of restaurants 'you care about' are hurting.

hauntedheadnc Jun 15, 2020 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8951959)
I don't understand how Florida hasn't been devastated yet given the demographics and apparent lack of general concern. At first there were reports of warmer weather helping slow the spread, but it doesn't seem to be helping Brazil that much.

Or North Carolina, which is recording up to 1500 new cases per day, or South Carolina with its 800 new cases per day. It's hot as balls here.

iheartthed Jun 15, 2020 2:33 PM

Quote:

It's just getting started. Miami shut down early so that slowed the wave a lot, but they never actually stopped the first wave.

eschaton Jun 15, 2020 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8951751)
Really? NE/Midwest were (and still are, to a great extent) still shut down, while South/West (excluding Pacific) were never totally shut down and opened much earlier. Also, the virus already burned through the hardest hit areas. The sickest people in the worst affected areas are already dead.

I mean, in the Northeast Corridor, basically everything is still shut down, and I can't remember the last time I saw someone not wearing a mask indoors. In contrast, my parents are in Florida, and they say no one is wearing a mask indoors anywhere, really. They're in Naples, and say it's as if the pandemic never existed. Also doesn't help that they're in a conservative, elderly, white bubble of retired Midwesterners who tend to lean strongly Trump.

To a certain degree there's a correlation between states opening up early and the new wave, but it's not 1-1.

1. California is having a second wave now, and they did a pretty good job early on. Nevada and Oregon are also spiking now.

2 Despite never really locking down (and having a spike related to meat processing plants back in April/May) the plains states aren't really showing any signs of a major wave.

3. Texas and Florida look quite bad right now, and were states that reopened early. But Georgia also reopened early, and isn't really seeing the same rapid increases as its neighbors.

Some people are suggesting the wave in AZ and the South relates to air conditioning. People in the Northeast/Midwest are out of the house more, but staying outside - and COVID-19 doesn't appear to spread well outside. It does spread well in climate-controlled buildings however. That does not explain the spike on the West Coast however.

SteveD Jun 15, 2020 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8952030)
It's just getting started. Miami shut down early so that slowed the wave a lot, but they never actually stopped the first wave.

Plus, not unlike Georgia, Florida has been monkeying around with the numbers to make them the least onerous and most favorable they possibly can.

L41A Jun 15, 2020 3:01 PM

Quote:

It is the Fall going into Winter in Brazil / Southern Hemisphere.

suburbanite Jun 15, 2020 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L41A (Post 8952060)

Ya and it's still probably as hot in Rio as it is in Miami.

eschaton Jun 15, 2020 3:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L41A (Post 8952060)

Per capita, the worst-hit parts of Brazil are in the Amazon Basin and other areas right around the equator.

Crawford Jun 15, 2020 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 8952039)
Some people are suggesting the wave in AZ and the South relates to air conditioning. People in the Northeast/Midwest are out of the house more, but staying outside - and COVID-19 doesn't appear to spread well outside. It does spread well in climate-controlled buildings however. That does not explain the spike on the West Coast however.

The West Coast seems to have opened much earlier than the Northeast, though. I believe Hollywood reopened last week; in NY they're talking about studios opening in Fall. Restaurants in CA have been opened for at least outdoor dining for weeks, I believe; in NY still no date, though we're hearing early July (June 22 would be the absolute earliest for Phase 2). So it isn't surprising that the West Coast has had a mini-spike.