SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

ASU Diablo Jun 9, 2016 11:35 PM

Brad Jannenga buys two historic buildings in downtown Phoenix Warehouse District

I'm glad that at least one of these rehabbed warehouses will be mixed-use and include some sort of retail (restaurants/bars). Hopefully the trend on Jackson St continues...

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...-historic.html

Quote:

WebPT co-founder Brad Jannenga has big plans for two historic buildings he bought for $1 million in downtown Phoenix’s Warehouse District.

With a passion for renovation, bringing tech companies and vitality to the Warehouse District, Jannenga bought the former Brickhouse music venue at 1 E. Jackson St. and what once housed a barbershop back in the early 1900s at 10 E. Jackson St.

“I want to return the buildings back to where they were (with the planned renovations), and put what’s needed and what was historically there,” Jannenga told me in an exclusive interview. “These have been eyesores for a long time. This area represents bridge streets where it transitions from downtown to the Warehouse District, and I want to bring back that historical factor. This is also a way to beef up the area.”

The 6,770-square-foot building at 1 E. Jackson will be renovated first and Jannenga has plans for up to three tech companies to move in, including his new tech startup SaaS Industries.

The companies have been identified but aren’t finalized, and Jannenga said it was too early to say which tech companies would be filling the space. However, the companies are local but don’t yet have a presence downtown, he hinted.

Because only minimal renovation is planned on the 1906-era building, the building should be ready in about three to six months, Jannenga said. Renovations will include removing the outside stucco, redoing the doors and windows, grinding and polishing the floors and putting in new bathrooms.

“I want to keep it as a true warehouse,” Jannenga said. “I want to keep it pretty open and minimal for a big collaborative space.”

The other 14,640-square-foot building at 10 E. Jackson is dilapidated and needs more work, he said. That building, originally built in 1906, with another portion added in 1946, won’t be ready for at least another nine months.

With four store fronts and possibly up to five business opportunities because of an included basement, plans for that building could include a barbershop, a private karaoke booth bar, a speakeasy, a distillery and new restaurant concepts from prominent local restaurateurs, Jannenga said.

Another tech company could also move in as Jannenga explores multiple possibilities with the demand for tech companies wanting to be downtown. SaaS Industries also is planned to eventually move into 10 E. Jackson, with more information announced on the new startup soon.

A micro mixed-use concept is planned, similar to Fox Restaurant Concepts’ the Yard in both Phoenix and Tempe and Upward Projects’ renovated restaurants and areas around town.

Jannenga bought the buildings from the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation. The deal closed May 31.

Jannenga worked with Larry Ortega, executive vice president of Colliers International, to broker the deal. The two have been working together on the project since October. Ortega represented both Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation and Jannenga.

“We had multiple offers on those properties and both buildings have been vacant for seven years,” said Ortega, adding the tribe inherited the buildings as part of the failed Mortgages Limited company. “The tribe didn’t have a use for them and were paying taxes on the buildings, so they were looking for a good buyer.”

Ortega has been working in the downtown area for many years, including selling the Mercado building to Arizona State University, and he called Jackson a sleepy street that needed a pick-me-up.

“Jackson Street is just one of those perfect streets that will almost be completely full very shortly,” Ortega said. “While my mantra for downtown is food, fashion, music and art, I’ve been getting more high-tech companies looking at these buildings.”

While some might not have the vision for renovation and keeping the integrity of the Warehouse District, Jannenga does, Ortega said.

“I really enjoyed Brad’s story because he has a passion for preserving the area,” he said. “The Tribal Council was interested in that fact as well. Although it was a real estate transaction, the sideline is what is the guy going to do with the businesses. We’re just really happy that Brad was the winning bidder on that.”

Jannenga also credits his best friend and local developer Tim O’Neil, a principal of Ironline Partners, for helping him. Ironline owns the 19-story Monroe Building at 111 W. Monroe St. in downtown Phoenix, home to several tech companies, creative spaces and local businesses.

“My idea is to buy and keep these building as long-term family assets,” he said. “I want to make sure they are all local and relevant to what’s happening to downtown. This is my re-investment and commitment to what’s happening to the area.”

Since taking a year off from WebPT, the electronic medical records software company, Jannenga handed over his president position to his wife and co-founder Heidi Jannenga.

He has been busy behind the scenes touting all that downtown Phoenix has to offer, especially the Warehouse District where WebPT is renovating a historic building for a new office to open later this year.

Jannenga was also recently appointed to the Arizona Technology Council board of directors and started a Phoenix software founders group to spur collaboration in the area.

ASU Diablo Jun 10, 2016 9:06 PM

The vision for a downtown grocery store takes shape

More news on the Fry's Grocery Store...don't think these tidbits or renderings have been shared yet. Wish office tower would be taller but these new renderings look good (sorry but wasn't able to link them)

http://dtphx.org/2016/06/10/vision-d...e-takes-shape/
Quote:

"RED’s vision for the project is to create an open and inviting facade. Jeff Moloznik, vice president of RED Development, emphasized that they want to create an authentic urban experience with active ground floor and retail/restaurant space.

Unlike the CityScape site, he said this block has few constraints and limitations, granting them the ability to really think outside the box.

Architectural renderings have not yet been finalized as RED is still in the planning stages of the development, including meeting with community leaders to solicit feedback and insight. However, Moloznik did hint that they’re paying close attention to the street-level experience and looking forward to having full creative control over the project.

“When I say high density, we’re literally building from property line to property line on this thing,” he said. “It will be completely four-sided architecture.”

Dan Klocke, executive director of the Downtown Phoenix Partnership, applauded RED Development for its focus on creating an interesting street-level experience, not only for the grocery store facade but the entire site.

Instead of being walled off, Moloznik described the exterior of the Fry’s as a glass cube. At night, the place will light up, during the day passersby will get to watch the glass elevators go up and down.

“They’re really thinking through how to make the ground floor as interesting as possible,” Klocke said, “and that’s really important to keeping the urban fabric strong and tight.” RED’s vision for the project is to create an open and inviting facade. Jeff Moloznik, vice president of RED Development, emphasized that they want to create an authentic urban experience with active ground floor and retail/restaurant space.

Unlike the CityScape site, he said this block has few constraints and limitations, granting them the ability to really think outside the box.

Architectural renderings have not yet been finalized as RED is still in the planning stages of the development, including meeting with community leaders to solicit feedback and insight. However, Moloznik did hint that they’re paying close attention to the street-level experience and looking forward to having full creative control over the project.

“When I say high density, we’re literally building from property line to property line on this thing,” he said. “It will be completely four-sided architecture.”

Dan Klocke, executive director of the Downtown Phoenix Partnership, applauded RED Development for its focus on creating an interesting street-level experience, not only for the grocery store facade but the entire site.

Instead of being walled off, Moloznik described the exterior of the Fry’s as a glass cube. At night, the place will light up, during the day passersby will get to watch the glass elevators go up and down.

“They’re really thinking through how to make the ground floor as interesting as possible,” Klocke said, “and that’s really important to keeping the urban fabric strong and tight.”

biggus diggus Jun 10, 2016 9:26 PM

This is nice:

dtnphx Jun 10, 2016 10:09 PM

That's encouraging that they've not finalized anything yet because this is what's being touted on Block 23:

http://pdf.leeazmail.com/pdfs/Block%2023.jpg

LocoPhoenician Jun 10, 2016 11:28 PM

I just hate that they are walling it off and missing an opportunity to create flow linking cityscape and Colliers Center together.

PHXFlyer11 Jun 10, 2016 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TempeAZnative (Post 7470778)
I just hate that they are walling it off and missing an opportunity to create flow linking cityscape and Colliers Center together.

I think this has to do with the grocery store's footprint. Due to access for deliveries the store fronts almost all of 1st St. There's not really a way to break up the store so that non-shoppers could pass all the way through. That's my assumption.

ASUSunDevil Jun 15, 2016 4:03 PM

PHX Grocery Vision Takes Shape

This article calls for high-rise residential, despite the 'short' renderings that were released.

http://azbex.com/downtown-phx-grocer...n-takes-shape/

Obadno Jun 15, 2016 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 7475045)
This article calls for high-rise residential, despite the 'short' renderings that were released.

Maybe only one corner will be short??

Still there seems to be demand for new class A downtown don't know why they cant build a 15-20 story tower.

muertecaza Jun 15, 2016 4:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 7475045)

The renderings always seemed to have high-rise residential in the background. The article also mentions "mid-rise" office, which, if you put three floors of office on top of the grocery store and the parking, seems to be in keeping with the rendering.

michael85225 Jun 15, 2016 11:35 PM

Wasn't there a guy who posted here a few years ago that Golub (I think that's what the name was) was planning an office tower on that spot where the frys was going to be built. He mentioned the residential as well and that he saw the renderings which showed a unique tower with a nice crown. It's a shame if we don't get more office space on that lot.

PHX31 Jun 15, 2016 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael85225 (Post 7475655)
Wasn't there a guy who posted here a few years ago that Golub (I think that's what the name was) was planning an office tower on that spot where the frys was going to be built. He mentioned the residential as well and that he saw the renderings which showed a unique tower with a nice crown. It's a shame if we don't get more office space on that lot.

Yeah, I remember that. Apparently the office space need for his company fell through.

Still seems like there would be more of a demand for office space. Maybe there will be, or people will come forward as this project progresses and they'll add additional space.

combusean Jun 16, 2016 8:40 PM

The Golub announcement was covered here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=198483

ASU Diablo Jun 17, 2016 3:13 PM

Historic 'Psycho' building in Phoenix slated for condos

New AZ Central article on the proposed development

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...otel/85846184/

muertecaza Jun 20, 2016 1:00 AM

NY Times on Downtown

NY Times article on Phoenix efforts to build up downtown and attract tech companies.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/19...ww.google.com/

Nothing particularly new for those that follow this stuff daily but a generally positive article.

exit2lef Jun 20, 2016 2:59 PM

For the most part, Santos indulges in a lot of stereotypes and backhanded compliments, but this statement seems too boosterish: "These days, there is hardly an empty lot left in the city’s core..."

If only that were true.

ASUSunDevil Jun 23, 2016 4:21 AM

Phoenix approves sale of historic downtown 'Psycho' building

Brenna Goth, The Republic | azcentral.com

Phoenix will sell a historic downtown landmark — made famous by its appearance in the Alfred Hitchcock thriller "Psycho" — to be converted into condos, shops and restaurants.

Crescent Bay Development Services LLC will buy the 1915 Barrister Building and adjacent land for $2.28 million under the plan approved 8-1 by the City Council on Wednesday. Councilman Jim Waring voted against the proposal for the city-owned site at Central Avenue and Jefferson Street.

The project, called Jefferson Place, is the second approved by the city to preserve the historic, vacant building that was once the tallest in the state. Previous plans for the site fell through last year, prompting the city to request new proposals.

Jefferson Place will include at least 88 condos in the six-story tower as well as two new buildings. Developers will preserve the original brick facade on the iconic building, which was once the Jefferson Hotel and later converted into office space. Phoenix bought the building in 1990 and has left it vacant since 2010.

No one spoke against the project at the meeting, though the city previously received multiple concerns, including complaints from rival bidders who said they offered to pay more for the building.

The Rev. Jarrett Maupin, a Phoenix activist, said he sent a letter to Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich on Wednesday saying the agreement's "paltry" purchase price could violate state gift clause laws. Maupin said he is acting as a community member.

City Attorney Brad Holm called Maupin's claim "frivolous" at the council meeting. Nick Wood, the attorney representing the approved project, said his client “followed the rules."

Under a previous redevelopment effort in 2014, Phoenix selected P.B. Bell Cos. and Davis Enterprises to convert the site into multifamily housing.

That team also would have protected the Barrister Building facade as part of a 114-unit rental and commercial project. The city agreed to give the development a tax break for up to 25 years.

The City Council extended the developer’s deadline to buy the building last summer but was notified the project would not go through.

exit2lef Jun 24, 2016 8:55 PM

Interesting presentation on central Phoenix housing affordability, commuting patterns, and income levels:

https://youtu.be/3KGcfmmU6O8?t=13m

biggus diggus Jun 25, 2016 6:04 PM

A 3,000 Sq ft high end grocery with a coffee shop is opening in skyline lofts. They will be serving Lola coffee but not run by Lola.

Phxguy Jun 25, 2016 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7486020)
A 3,000 Sq ft high end grocery with a coffee shop is opening in skyline lofts. They will be serving Lola coffee but not run by Lola.

High-end grocery? You have peaked my interest. Is there an article on this or did you see this with your own eyes as a sign on the windows?

biggus diggus Jun 26, 2016 12:57 AM

I know people.

I can't share any more info except that you should see more prior to the end of summer.