SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

gymratmanaz Dec 24, 2009 10:22 PM

Better get your girlfriend a damn nice gift Vicelord!!!!! :) :) :)

DowntownDweller Dec 25, 2009 4:34 AM

Anybody know what the building they dug an absolutely massive hole under on the SW corner of 16th St. and Osborn is going to end up looking like?

Tfom Dec 26, 2009 6:03 PM

Hey guys. I ran into a friend of mine and found out she is working, among other things, to make sure the civic park is promoted and used among the community. I told her I would forward any information about upcoming events to people I knew who may be interested. Below is the schedule of events for Jan/Feb. They want as many people as possible to attend (obviously).

Also, the park has a Facebook page that is unrelated to these events but does advertise other things. If you didn't already know, that web address is http://www.facebook.com/civicspace

Edit: Totally unrelated and I hope I'm not breaking a forum rule but I am desperately searching for someone to rent a room in my house. 16th Ave and McDowell in Fairview Place neighborhood. It is reasonably priced and drama free. PM me if you or someone you know might be interested.

Name of Event: Civic Space Jam – Downtown DJs in the Park
Description: Civic Space Jam is a “park jam” in the Downtown Civic Space Park on the third Sunday of each month. Join local DJs and other beat oriented artists in the park for music, dancing and more!
Ticket prices: FREE
Day and time of the event: Sunday, January 17, 2010; 4:00-9:00 p.m.
Total of Attendees:
Names of sponsoring organizations:
Public contact information (Phone Website): Laci Lester laci@azfairtrade.com 602-496-1268

Name of Event: Film @ Civic Space Park – MLK Celebration

Description: In partnership with HandsOn Greater Phoenix, Karuna Village Fair Trade, City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department, ASU College of Public Programs, and The Fair Trade Store hosts the ITVS Community Cinema presentation of the film Garbage Dreams.

Welcome to the world's largest garbage village located on the outskirts of Cairo, Egypt. The Zaballeen (Arabic for garbage people) recycle 80 percent of the trash they collect - far more than other recycling initiatives. But now a multi-national corporation threatens their livelihood. Follow three teenage boys born into the business who are forced to make choices that will impact the survival of their community. Stick around after the film for a discussion about social and environmental justice topics including poverty, fair trade, recycling, and more. View the trailer: http://www.garbagedreams.com
Ticket prices: Free
Day and time of the event: January 16, 2010; 5:30 p.m.
Total of Attendees: 275
Names of sponsoring organizations: HandsOn Greater Phoenix, Karuna Village Fair Trade, City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department, ASU College of Public Programs, KAET Ei8ht
Public contact information (Phone Website): http://handsonphoenix.org, 602-973-2212

Name of Event: Lunch Unplugged @ Civic Space Park

Description: “Lunch Unplugged” would is a weekly music showcase in the Civic Space Park featuring a variety of local Metro Phoenix musicians playing acoustic and rhythmic music during lunch.
Location: Downtown Civic Space Park outdoor stage, 424. N Central Avenue
Day and time of the event: Thursdays, Beginning January 28, 2010 – April 29, 2010
Total of Attendees:
Names of sponsoring organizations: City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department, The Fair Trade Store, Radio Phoenix
Public contact information (Phone Website): Laci Lester, laci@azfairtrade.com, 602-496-1268

Name of Event: Community Yoga Project

Description: The Community Yoga Project is a seva (sanskrit for free/ giving back) presented by teachers from all parts of the Metro Phoenix Area. Join this practice in the beautiful Civic Space Park. This class is perfect for those who want to try yoga for the first time or those who want to expand their practice into the flourishing urban setting of Downtown Phoenix. Participants should bring their own yoga mat, towel or blanket.
Day and time of the event: Saturdays, 10:00- 11:00 a.m.
Total of Attendees: 50
Names of sponsoring organizations: The Fair Trade Store, City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department, ASU College of Public Programs,
Public contact information (Phone Website): Laci Lester, laci@azfairtrade.com, 602-496-1268

BrandonJXN Dec 26, 2009 8:44 PM

Civic Space would be a hell of a place to throw a rave.

Vicelord John Dec 26, 2009 9:00 PM

the colors man... the colors.... they are going to get me!

gymratmanaz Dec 26, 2009 10:50 PM

Happy 3,000 John. Missed it by 1, but happy 3,001!!! :)

Vicelord John Dec 26, 2009 10:56 PM

hmmmmm

thanks.... I was going to do a full downtown photo shoot for 3,000... I guess I'll have to wait a bit.

I will though post a shoot when I get my new toy this week.

gymratmanaz Dec 26, 2009 11:45 PM

Merry Christmas camera?????

Vicelord John Dec 27, 2009 12:02 AM

no I have a nice enough body....

I'm going W I D E !

gymratmanaz Dec 27, 2009 12:55 AM

Large and in charge!!!

Vicelord John Dec 27, 2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4623778)
no I have a nice enough body....

I'm going W I D E !

HAHAHA!

I just re-read this.

gymratmanaz Dec 27, 2009 2:06 AM

caught your own unintentional funny?!!! :)

HooverDam Jan 3, 2010 9:35 AM

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoen...8/daily51.html

Quote:

Plaza Cos. sells bio plaza to UA for $9.85M
Phoenix Business Journal - by Angela Gonzales

Plaza Cos. has sold Phoenix Biomedical Plaza to University of Arizona Foundation for $9.85 million, after it paid Ribomed Biotechnologies Inc. about $10 million two years ago for the 2.62-acre parcel.

The property, which includes a vacant 33,000-square-foot biomedical building, sits on the northeast corner of Van Buren and Seventh streets, just across the street from the Phoenix Biomedical Campus. That campus houses the medical school jointly developed by UA and Arizona State University as well as the headquarters of the Translational Genomics Research Institute.

UA also is planning to develop a cancer center on or near the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, but officials could not be reached to determine if the former Ribomed property will be used to develop the cancer center. Originally, officials were targeting property north of the campus.

Michelle Hanna, president and CEO of Ribomed, had operated her headquarters there as well as a small incubator for other biomedical startups until she moved to San Diego in 2007.

Sharon Harper, president and CEO of Plaza Cos., originally had planned to demolish the aging structure to build a biomedical plaza.

She said it fit into UA’s expansion plans for its medical school across the street on the downtown Phoenix Biomedical Campus.

Harper said it is too early to say whether her company will have a role in developing the UA property.

“The Plaza Cos. has been dedicated to the vision of creating a world class research and academic medical center in downtown Phoenix and looks forward to working with the University of Arizona to ensure and support opportunities with the project,” Harper said.

She said UA will use the 33,000-square-foot structure for science and research purposes until the property is redeveloped.

UA officials could not be reached for comment.
So it sounds like we won't be seeing much development on that parcel for a while. :(

EDIT: Do we not have a special biomed campus thread? I looked, didn't see one. Maybe we need one but as slow as its been, probably not. Hmmm.

PhxMatt Jan 6, 2010 1:40 AM

An artical on the downtownphoenixjournal.com website about the 7th Ave and McDowell; mentions the SEC building being redone by Viking Properties.

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...-ave-mcdowell/

The timing of the smashburger site seems right based on what I have heard about issues getting the financing together to purchase the building; a friend mentioned the Antique store staying until at least May...

Vicelord John Jan 6, 2010 3:00 AM

Did anyone else notice they built a new culvers at 8st and camelback? It showed up overnight.

PartyLine Jan 6, 2010 4:54 AM

They have good custard lol not crazy about their burgers though to small

HX_Guy Jan 6, 2010 8:42 PM

Staff requests the Downtown, Aviation and Economy Subcommittee recommend City Council authorization for the City to issue a Request for Proposals (RFP) and to negotiate business terms for the private development of a laboratory and research facility and/or development of an approximately 1,000 space parking structure on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus (PBC).

THE ISSUE

Due to the success of the tenants in the TGen facility, the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix in partnership with Arizona State University, the Arizona Biomedical Collaborative I (ABC I) projects, and the planned development of the Health Science Education Building (HSEB) and Arizona Biomedical Collaborative II (ABC II) facility, significant demand has been created for development of a research facility and a parking structure. The Comprehensive Master Development Plan adopted by City Council in 2007, calls for more than six million square feet (SF) of academic, clinical and research space on the PBC.

The City-owned TGen facility, which opened in 2005, took less than three years to become 100 percent occupied. Due to interest from the private sector and demand for additional research space by the universities and tenants within the TGen facility, staff is requesting authorization for the issuance of a RFP for a research laboratory facility for institutional, academic and private biomedical users. Staff has identified the approximately 25,000 SF site located between the TGen and ABC I facilities along 5th Street for this development opportunity. The RFP will include language stating preference will be given to proposals that incorporate ground level retail and below grade parking.

With planned development underway for HSEB and ABC II, current surface parking on the PBC is insufficient to accommodate additional users. The RFP will also seek proposals for the development of a 1,000 space parking structure which maximizes development of the site by incorporating active uses other than parking and addresses all four sides of the structure by upholstery development, structural screening, ground floor retail or other pedestrian active uses or a combination thereof.

Potential proposers will have the option to propose on either of the development opportunities. The RFP criteria will include requirements for a non-refundable performance deposit and language addressing performance benchmarks to ensure timely completion of the proposed projects.

RECOMMENDATION:

Staff requests the Downtown, Aviation and Economy Subcommittee recommend City Council authorization for the department to issue a joint Request for Proposals (RFP) and to negotiate business terms for the private development of a laboratory and research facility and/or development of an approximately 1,000 space parking structure on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus (PBC).

Vicelord John Jan 6, 2010 10:01 PM

a big parking structure on that parcel could prove to be a nice picture location. :)

gymratmanaz Jan 6, 2010 10:19 PM

This is very encouraging!

Luke Skyscraper Jan 6, 2010 10:40 PM

Why only 25K square feet? If they plan on putting 6M sf in this small biomedical campus parcel, they had better start building (and thinking) much bigger- and plan for the future.
TGEN has proven the biomedical demand DT, and was filled in 3 years. Phoenix needs to do better that to keep adding new 2 story buildings on valuable DT property (ala Cityscape retail). Large tracts of open land are becoming scarcer DT. Where is the "visionary development" we heard so much about when the Mayor visited Dubai?
When the economy rebounds, folks will be wishing they were laying the groundwork now and thinking bigger and better!:shrug: