SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

locolife Feb 19, 2023 3:24 PM

Sekkle Feb 20, 2023 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locolife (Post 9870292)
That second photo is outdated already, someone with a proper camera should go walk up the road on the South side of Phoenix Mountain Preserve and get a photo from this same angle. My cell phone camera doesn't do it justice.

I was in town visiting my parents in November and took a few from that general area. So these are a few months old, but sharing anyway...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a2db096f_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...982adc09_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...316f8e3e_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...53ba7c97_h.jpg

plinko Feb 20, 2023 8:53 PM

Damn those are nice. Excellent early morning light.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Feb 20, 2023 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sekkle (Post 9871126)

Wow, the midtown and downtown one is awesome!

somethingfast Feb 21, 2023 2:48 AM

damn good perspectives thanks for sharing!

ChelseaFC Feb 21, 2023 5:56 PM

Diamondbacks front office beginning to explore options for Chase Field renovation or new ballpark elsewhere

Video Link

DUPio Feb 21, 2023 6:50 PM

D-Backs leaving would be a huge loss for downtown. Hope they figure something out to improve the stadium and keep it there. Coors Field sacrificed some seating in order to put in a "party deck" that has been very successful. I think something similar would do very well, especially indoors in the summertime.

PHX31 Feb 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUPio (Post 9871889)
D-Backs leaving would be a huge loss for downtown. Hope they figure something out to improve the stadium and keep it there. Coors Field sacrificed some seating in order to put in a "party deck" that has been very successful. I think something similar would do very well, especially indoors in the summertime.

The Dbacks have already done some things like this. I don't remember the specifics, but they put in a couple new restaurants and a "party deck" type of area as well as slightly reduced seating I believe.

I think there are much more major expenses and plans that are behind all of this. The roof they mention in the video is just one bit of major deferred maintenance. And I think the Dbacks are thinking much bigger than adding some suites or a new party area inside, I think they want to develop as much of the land immediately around and next to the stadium as they can (that open area wedge on the northeast side of the stadium has always been so dumb, even the little restaurant building on the west side is puny compared to what could be).

While the ballpark hasn't sparked the downtown renaissance that Coors Field seemed to do in Denver (that was always the hope) downtown is seeing such incredible growth on its own, including down in the Warehouse District, that they'd be stupid to leave now. And although the exterior design of the ballpark (the look of the building and the overall plan of the land) leaves a lot to be desired, I still think it has some nice things going for it inside and it's a nice place to watch a game.

Thankfully moving to the Vegas area seems to be a long-gone option; I think they're definitely staying in town at one location or another.

DUPio Feb 21, 2023 7:23 PM

Haven't spent much time at games so admittedly I'm not as informed as I should be. I still think it'd be a lost opportunity for both the DBacks and the city to lose them to the suburbs or wherever.

thespiandave Feb 22, 2023 1:12 AM

Random Pics

Took a nice walk this weekend and snagged a few updates for you all! Palm Court is getting crazy tall!

https://imgur.com/gallery/McSRXOL

locolife Feb 22, 2023 3:52 AM

Sekkle- I asked expecting no response and blown away by your amazing photos!

Thanks so much for sharing, would be amazing to see the same perspective and quality in 2024 and 2025 as 11-20 more high rises fill the downtown skyline up.

locolife Feb 22, 2023 3:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespiandave (Post 9872203)
Took a nice walk this weekend and snagged a few updates for you all! Palm Court is getting crazy tall!

https://imgur.com/gallery/McSRXOL

That is going up fast, nice! Can't wait for all these buildings to fill up with residents and the next tranche of projects to get built.

locolife Feb 22, 2023 3:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUPio (Post 9871889)

I listened to Derrick Hall on 98.7 today, he sounds pretty focused on staying downtown, mentioning the history and a willingness by the owner group to spend up to $400M on renovations. They want to go after something like the Yotes have in their plans for Tempe. Hotels, entertainment, multi-use type development to bolster the area around the ballpark and drive additional revenue. He also mentioned the Suns and their success renovating/filling Footprint Center next door.

No hints of leaving the valley we're given, when one of the radio hosts mentioned downtown's energy and all the excitement there as being something that would be hard to leave, he agreed with that.

No clue how it will all turn out but the convention center has aspirations to develop an entertainment district around that area, it would be a huge synergy to combine forces with the D'Baks ownership group and go big in that part of downtown.

MiEncanto Feb 22, 2023 4:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locolife (Post 9872339)
I listened to Derrick Hall on 98.7 today, he sounds pretty focused on staying downtown, mentioning the history and a willingness by the owner group to spend up to $400M on renovations. They want to go after something like the Yotes have in their plans for Tempe. Hotels, entertainment, multi-use type development to bolster the area around the ballpark and drive additional revenue. He also mentioned the Suns and their success renovating/filling Footprint Center next door.

No hints of leaving the valley we're given, when one of the radio hosts mentioned downtown's energy and all the excitement there as being something that would be hard to leave, he agreed with that.

No clue how it will all turn out but the convention center has aspirations to develop an entertainment district around that area, it would be a huge synergy to combine forces with the D'Baks ownership group and go big in that part of downtown.

That checks with what they have been saying for years.

A few years ago they were down at the Capitol advocating for an expansion of the theme park district. As I recall, the district allows them to essentially charge an additional sales tax on everything inside the district that could be used to pay for whatever improvements happen inside the district, which can include multi use, retail and hotel.

I've long argued the structure itself is under utilized and they could do some cool stuff on the north side in particular.

Even if the Fairmont hotel comes to fruition, I think downtown could use another luxury brand hotel. A JW, Omni, W, etc.

combusean Feb 22, 2023 9:37 PM

I think that overly wide sidewalk in front of Chase also doubles as a fire lane so I wonder how much of it could be brought to the street, I suspect it's just not worth it to do much more than replace that surface parking lot on the corner. Anything to replace that ridiculous desert-inspired onsite retention though...

Anything on the north side of Chase would be incomplete without reimagining the south side of the Garage Mahal and a midblock crossing on the 6th St alignment. A luxury hotel on Chase's NE parking lot would lack context and purpose with the rest of the downtown core by itself.

BA744PHX Feb 22, 2023 9:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiEncanto (Post 9872354)
That checks with what they have been saying for years.

A few years ago they were down at the Capitol advocating for an expansion of the theme park district. As I recall, the district allows them to essentially charge an additional sales tax on everything inside the district that could be used to pay for whatever improvements happen inside the district, which can include multi use, retail and hotel.

I've long argued the structure itself is under utilized and they could do some cool stuff on the north side in particular.

Even if the Fairmont hotel comes to fruition, I think downtown could use another luxury brand hotel. A JW, Omni, W, etc.

The W brand is basically dead, JW would be interesting, I doubt Omni they are opening Tempe soon and already have Scottsdale, Phoenix area may not be large enough for 3 hotels for them.

PyroD Feb 22, 2023 9:44 PM

Even if not the W specifically, I would love to see that previous proposal come back in some form.

combusean Feb 22, 2023 9:47 PM

They need to develop the land they have before they gut another building. Glad Sarver is out of there, he had no vision for the properties they control.

Obadno Feb 22, 2023 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BA744PHX (Post 9873180)
The W brand is basically dead, JW would be interesting,

By measure is the w brand "dead" they have properties all over the world

BA744PHX Feb 22, 2023 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9873231)
By measure is the w brand "dead" they have properties all over the world

It’s a dying brand