SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

rick m Jan 3, 2015 3:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsu (Post 6861504)
This brings to mind something I've long wanted to ask - is it just me or do we never see the southwest corner of 4th & Hope in pictures? We always see the Hildreth at the northwest corner; I'm wondering what stood just north of the Briggs Apartments.

Actually this last image DOES include the never before imaged Williams house next to the Briggs- only the spire(s) of the further Hildreth house peek above the Williams's rooftop--- Otherwise the stone wall at the sidewalk found itself shot with some male historian in a b/w posing at the engraved house number- LAPL collection I recollect--

Mstimc Jan 3, 2015 3:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6861353)
-
...but I'm confused by the still intact molding (also spelled moulding)....did they lower that as well?

__

ER--I'm a bit of a woodworker when I'm not obsessing on Noirish L.A. Looking at the picture, I'm doubting this is the original crown molding. Its style doesn't really match the office entrance wood work, and given the level of craftsmanship that went into the entrance, my guess would be the original molding would have blended in from the hall to the office entrance so it would look seamless. The "renovators" could have stained all the wood to more or less match when they replaced the glass in the doors with wood. Just a hunch....

ethereal_reality Jan 3, 2015 3:19 AM

:previous: Thanks Mstimc, that clears up some of my confusion.

__

CityBoyDoug Jan 3, 2015 3:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mstimc (Post 6862257)
ER--I'm a bit of a woodworker when I'm not obsessing on Noirish L.A. Looking at the picture, I'm doubting this is the original crown molding. Its style doesn't really match the office entrance wood work, and given the level of craftsmanship that went into the entrance, my guess would be the original molding would have blended in from the hall to the office entrance so it would look seamless. The "renovators" could have stained all the wood to more or less match when they replaced the glass in the doors with wood. Just a hunch....

Good catch Mstimc.! The door and the surrounds are the same color stain as I remember them in the 1950s. But what has changed is the stain and the wood panel above the door. That and the crown moldings do appear new and somewhat do not really match the old door color stain.

The new lofts are ultra modern and have solid painted doors.

Photos:

Here are the entrance doors. Kind of quaint and very original 1926.
Below is the lobby, exactly as I remember it but with the added desk. They mounted the computer monitor on the marble wall which looks absurd.
Exterior shot.

Would I want to live there? I don't think so.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psed499bed.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psb4247951.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps91dad7f7.jpg
Images: as noted or Chester Williams Bldg.

Mstimc Jan 3, 2015 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 6862290)
Here are the entrance doors. Kind of quaint and very original 1926.
Below is the lobby, exactly as I remember it but with the added desk. They mounted the computer monitor on the marble wall which looks absurd.

Would I want to live there? I don't think so.[/SIZE]

Its a very elegant building even with the subpar "improvements". I would have loved to have seen it as you did, CBD

I have a bazillion photos my 89 year old cousin gave me of L.A. in the 1920's, including some of their brand new house in West Hollywood, with nothing behind their street but empty fields! One of these days I'm going to learn how to post and size pictures on this site!

Those Who Squirm! Jan 3, 2015 6:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mstimc (Post 6862316)
Its a very elegant building even with the subpar "improvements". I would have loved to have seen it as you did, CBD

I have a bazillion photos my 89 year old cousin gave me of L.A. in the 1920's, including some of their brand new house in West Hollywood, with nothing behind their street but empty fields! One of these days I'm going to learn how to post and size pictures on this site!

Everyone here will be falling over each other to see your pictures, and I hope you will post them soon. I've found the most straightforward way is to upload my photos to Flickr, then post the Flickr-assigned URL of whatever picture I'm posting, using the [IMG][/IMG] pair of vB codes.

Because Flickr saves each picture in a variety of sizes, finding the right URL for your link is a bit tricky at first, but becomes very simple and straightforward once you know how to do it.

Feel free to PM me if you need any pointers, or would like me to walk you through it on Yahoo IM.

Beaudry Jan 3, 2015 6:15 AM

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/...18e2255e_o.jpg
Quote:

Originally Posted by rick m (Post 6862256)
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
This brings to mind something I've long wanted to ask - is it just me or do we never see the southwest corner of 4th & Hope in pictures? We always see the Hildreth at the northwest corner; I'm wondering what stood just north of the Briggs Apartments.
Actually this last image DOES include the never before imaged Williams house next to the Briggs- only the spire(s) of the further Hildreth house peek above the Williams's rooftop--- Otherwise the stone wall at the sidewalk found itself shot with some male historian in a b/w posing at the engraved house number- LAPL collection I recollect--

It's a good question. Probably for the same reason we rarely see what's across the street from the Melrose or the Castle—people just turned their camera on the more ornate stuff. And the George H. Wms house at 401 S Hope couldn't be viewed from afar because of the built-ups around her...and then she was taken out earlier than most because of the 4th St cut.

Here's a bit of an aerial from which I know we've seen snippets before—

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7481/...ea9413aa_o.pngusc

Note how one can just make out the top of ol' 401 peeking above the Barbara Worth, née Briggs. Hey, I wish I had a first-class image of the Gibson, which interests me intently, and not just because it can't quite figure out if it wants to have a crenelated parapet, à la the Lovejoy, or do a sort of Mission thing; that was where, for example, Zelda B. Gibson built her first great apartment in the fall of '03. She married H. W. La Chat at in her home at 612 W. 4th in April 1907—612 W. 4th is the small house seen at the center of this image here:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7506/...c8abc283_o.png

With the money from selling the Gibson, in 1908 Zelda (Gibson) La Chat builds...the Zelda! Seen at the right in the above photo. Ok, and notice what's at the end of the block, but the Williams house at 401! (Note too there are three matching houses next to 612—which would be replaced by the Zahn boys with three rather similar apartment buildings, the Gordon at 618, the Bronx at 624 and on the corner of 4th & Hope, the La Belle at 630.) In its totality:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7537/...1513c2ca_o.jpghuntington digital library

But I digress. I have one decent image of the facade of the aforementioned La Belle from a family that had moved in and taken an amateur snap, and what should be in the background?— but what may be the best shot of 401 yet. YET. The hunt continues.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7510/...f8f65052_o.jpg

What I want to know is, why have they barricaded the street? Construction? The only clue I have to a date is in pen on verso, "Sat 4-15" which makes it most likely 1922. 428 S Hope is early 20s, I believe, so that's my guess.

ethereal_reality Jan 3, 2015 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mstimc (Post 6862316)
I have a bazillion photos my 89 year old cousin gave me of L.A. in the 1920's, including some of their brand new house in West Hollywood, with nothing behind their street but empty fields! One of these days I'm going to learn how to post and size pictures on this site!

Oh my Mstimc, everyone on NLA would love to see your treasure-trove of Los Angeles photographs.

__

ethereal_reality Jan 3, 2015 7:37 PM

Another hammer slaying, this time 55 year old Robert Milton Byrne.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...909/98d7H2.jpg
ebay

The 3814 street number is clearly visible on the front porch. (the information below places the house on Sunset Boulevard)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...661/vSsS4g.jpg


I believe the house is still there, although it's somewhat hidden behind some store fronts.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...538/c45Ogd.png
google_earth




Here is the house as viewed from Sunset Blvd.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...673/eevinG.png
GSV


Kim Cooper over at the 1947project http://1947project.dumplingjoint.com/mapofinfamy
has this paragraph about the Bryne murder (she has Mr. Byrne's age as 65, but the press photo info. says 55)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...901/GIjdfg.png


Ms. Cooper's has a list of 29 (yes, 29!) noirish murders and crimes that have occurred in the Sunset Junction area. You should check it out.
http://1947project.dumplingjoint.com/mapofinfamy
__

ethereal_reality Jan 3, 2015 8:26 PM

Unknown production company filming at the Bronson Caves in the 1920s.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...913/Op75Nv.jpg
ebay


I know most of you know where the Bronson Caves are located, but for those who don't, they're located southeast of the Hollywood sign (midway between the Hollywood Reservoir
and Griffith Observatory)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...538/k6sePc.png
Google Earth

In 1903, the Union Rock Company founded a quarry, originally named Bush Canyon, for excavation of crushed rock used in the construction of city streets.
The quarry ceased operation in the 1920s, leaving the caves behind. The caves became known as the Bronson Caves after a nearby street.
__


This shows a bit more of the cave.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...673/hnIWVa.jpg
ebay
__

HossC Jan 3, 2015 9:34 PM

OK, I know we've seen Angels Flight many times on NLA, but I don't remember seeing a colorized image of the Crocker Mansion before. This postcard is dated 1906, and shows Angels Flight still crossing Clay Street at grade.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...Flight1906.jpg
eBay

Albany NY Jan 4, 2015 12:35 AM

2% of the mystery solved.
 
.

Albany NY Jan 4, 2015 12:40 AM

The names have been changed to protect the innocent....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6861341)
I just found this exceptional photograph tonight on ebay.

H. Bloom Watch Maker & Jeweler, 410 1/2 Main Street Los Angeles 1913.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...538/333dlv.jpg
ebay
__

It looks as if the "H" was pasted over another initial. Can any identify the original Bloom? Perhaps a father passed the business down to his son?

ethereal_reality Jan 4, 2015 1:01 AM

Earlier tonight while I was perusing ebay, I found these impressive photographs from the 1920s.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/537/Bt06i0.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...&_skc=50&rt=nc

above: As most of you probably know, the middle photograph is Charlie Chaplin's Studio.
I looked up Howard Motor Co (top photo) in the 1923 city directory; their address was 6157 Hollywood Blvd.



http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/673/CIy9a2.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...&_skc=50&rt=nc


above:
First photo...Hollywood Station Post Office. (I'm not sure where this was located)
I'm especially intrigued by the middle photograph of the lonely DesmondS billboard.
The last photo is Mission San Buenaventura. I'd love to know more about that impressive building in the distance to the left of the mission.
(it looks like it might be a school)


http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/907/FW89Os.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...&_skc=50&rt=nc


above:
Top photo: Could this be Olvera Street in the 1920s?
Does anyone recognize the stand alone mansion in the middle photograph? (Beverly Hills is written on the left side of the negative)
I can't quite make out the name of the building in that last photo. (there's a café at the far end of the building...along with a drug store and grocery store)
___





The seller also included this photograph of the Maryland Apartments. (I think I see a roof-top sign in the distance on the left )

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/911/a5J2Fy.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...&_skc=50&rt=nc

I can't recall the address of the Maryland Apts.; I'll have to look it up.

__

ethereal_reality Jan 4, 2015 1:45 AM

Los Angeles, 1910s (starting bid is $54.95 )

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/673/VUnsV1.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C1910-RPPC-P...item51c957b030

above: -note the guy in the vest inside the window.


I found the address of Star Truck Co. in the 1917 Los Angeles city directory.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/538/LeGfoS.png
LAPL

408 East 3rd Street.

__

ethereal_reality Jan 4, 2015 2:23 AM

OK, I'm pretty sure I 've never heard of this place called the "Cliff Dwellers" (located somewhere on Beverly Boulevard).

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/910/YoNPHL.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Cliff-Dwel...item1e978f58c1

"Five rare photographs of the Cliff Dwellers Café on Beverly Boulevard in Los Angeles, in 1928."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...661/AaGazk.png
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Cliff-Dwel...item1e978f58c1

__

Beaudry Jan 4, 2015 3:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6862889)
The seller also included this photograph of the Maryland Apartments. (I think I see a roof-top sign in the distance on the left )

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/911/a5J2Fy.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...&_skc=50&rt=nc

I can't recall the address of the Maryland Apts.; I'll have to look it up.

__

If you look it up in LA you might think it's at 546 S Grand—but this isn't that Maryland Apts:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8659/...c827ab37_z.jpg

...this was in fact at 537 W Ocean Ave., Long Beach.

from AVtOLA

Mstimc Jan 4, 2015 4:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm (Post 6862376)
Everyone here will be falling over each other to see your pictures, and I hope you will post them soon. I've found the most straightforward way is to upload my photos to Flickr, then post the Flickr-assigned URL of whatever picture I'm posting, using the [IMG][/IMG] pair of vB codes.

Because Flickr saves each picture in a variety of sizes, finding the right URL for your link is a bit tricky at first, but becomes very simple and straightforward once you know how to do it.

Feel free to PM me if you need any pointers, or would like me to walk you through it on Yahoo IM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6862541)
Oh my Mstimc, everyone on NLA would love to see your treasure-trove of Los Angeles photographs.

__



Thanks guys! I'll give flickr a try!

ethereal_reality Jan 4, 2015 7:21 PM

I actually use imageshack Mstimc, but it's a pay site now so you might not what to go that route. I've never posted using flickr, but I believe a majority of NLA'ers use it.
If you have troubles, just post your difficulties on the thread; I'm sure someone will come to your rescue.

Good luck!
__

ethereal_reality Jan 4, 2015 7:35 PM

I just found this slide a few minutes ago on ebay. (love that red car!)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...907/51sOFk.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-195...item339b85859d

The coffee shop at extreme left is the recently discussed Tilford's.


and the same view today.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...537/c4XA6O.png
GSV


below: The GARAGE sign is missing.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...537/PEMfUo.png
GSV detail



To my surprise, the google-mobile went down the alley....so here's the garage entrance in the back of the art deco E. Clem Wilson Building.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...537/QGjDIz.png
GSV

__


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.