SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Brightline Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198371)

Wizened Variations May 31, 2014 7:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdreamz (Post 6597672)
202 What is crazy about this is that FECI has been sitting on these 11.2 acres in the heart of downtown Miami for about 50 years when they abandoned passenger rail and sold the right of way to the county to build Metrorail in the 1980's. They just basically used them as parking lots! This is what they own:

http://i.imgur.com/WVk59.jpg

and what is to come :

http://www.transitmiami.com/wp-conte...miCorridor.jpg

I think they finally realized they have a Gold mine by owning adjacent property along the entire ROW on the All Aboard Florida route up to Cocoa.

Looks to me like this might be the first world class downtown transportation node built since the 1930s in the US! The only comparable current downtown station upgrade in NA is the magnificent improvements being made at Toronto's Union Station.

Let's do it!

Lakelander Jun 1, 2014 5:05 AM

^Denver's recent Union Station upgrade is pretty impressive.

phoenixboi08 Jun 1, 2014 8:40 AM

and Transbay in SF
ARTIC Station in Anaheim
the MMPT in Atlanta...on and on

eleven=11 Jun 1, 2014 9:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakelander (Post 6600750)
^Denver's recent Union Station upgrade is pretty impressive.

yeah it looks more like the MIA airport new train station
also with new TriRail & Amtrak
should be open anyday now

can someone post a picture from the new wiki map update ???
of the MIA train station
google has new map updates ....

Lakelander Jun 24, 2014 2:17 AM

For anyone who believes FECI isn't serious about getting AAF off the ground...

Quote:

Fortress wows market with Florida railway bond

NEW YORK, June 20 (IFR) - Investment management firm Fortress stunned the market this week by selling a deeply subordinated payment-in-kind (PIK) toggle note to finance a new Florida passenger railway service.

Investors took on considerable risk - on top of the already risky PIK structure - as there is no cashflow until the project, already facing some political push-back, is up and running.

The All Aboard Florida project plans to expand an existing freight railway on Florida's east coast to begin carrying passengers for the first time since 1968.
Quote:

To reassure investors, the deal was upsized to US$405m from US$390m, with the extra proceeds put in an interest reserve account to pay half of the cash coupon until the project is done.

The deal was also larded with investor-friendly covenants - including a lien on the land, the rights to the passenger track, the ability to run the business if the project goes wrong and an offer to purchase at par if the project is abandoned before an opening deadline.

"It is a bit of an equity story," said another high-yield investor who did buy the deal.

"On the other hand, unlike large infrastructure related projects, most of the rail link is already there which reduces the build risk."
full article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0P05SL20140620

Lakelander Jun 24, 2014 2:25 AM

AAF Rider and Ticket Data Revealed

According to the linked Palm Beach Post article, it will cost $23.77 for a one-way ticket between DT West Palm Beach and DT Miami (71 miles) when the passenger rail service opens in 2016. A business class ticket will run $36.60.

The Miami station will cost $150 million. Fort Lauderdale's station will cost $30 million and West Palm Beach's will cost $29 million.

It's estimated that 43% of passengers will be leisure, 27% personal travel, and 30% business travel. Tickets will make up 75% of revenue by 2019. Total revenue for that year is projected to be $92.4 million.

http://realtime.blog.palmbeachpost.c...ata-and-costs/

Hatman Jun 24, 2014 7:02 AM

Researching this project, I came across this article:

'All Aboard Florida' President Mike Reininger Goes One-On-One With CBS 12 To Address Local Concerns
http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-storie...id_17001.shtml

Which contains this video:
Video Link

Which bears this description by Mike Reininger:
Quote:

"Thereas a little time gap to ensure the safety of the crossing before the train gets there," Reininger points out, "our train, in this case, is operating at 68 miles per hour. This is the real length of our train. It comes through the crossing, with characteristics of the train we will be operating. The train clears the intersection, time goes by and the gates open."

Which brings me to my question: What kind of train do they plan on operating? I have no idea what kind of train they are using in the video. I was expecting to see a train looking more like this:
http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-storie...RIDA_17001.jpg
Which is basically Amtrak California equipment with a more interesting paint job. And if that is the equipment they plan on using, why did they come up with this fancy animation instead of grabbing footage of the Surfliners in action? That wouldn't be hard.
Maybe I'm just hoping they'll be using sleek streamlined equipment like in the video. It will certainly look better in the Miami station than standard US passenger stock.

eleven=11 Jun 24, 2014 7:47 AM

crazy that we don't know if this will get built.
I think it will and quickly but a bunch of locals and
mayors are against it......
tri-rail is very fast, cant wait till the new airport
station opens. When it opens I predict riders go up 20% or more
yet All-aboard will do great because of the downtown station locations.
is there new news on the Orlando airport station?
its getting built anyways because its a multi mode transportation station
connecting to SunRail and that new Monorail to the convention center.

eleven=11 Jun 24, 2014 7:54 AM

also the Miami Worldcenter shoping mall is crazy nice.
I saw a picture of a spiral stadium style walkway that
connects the Allaboard Miami station to the convention center hotel

UrbanImpact Jun 24, 2014 5:12 PM

Financing Complete-All Aboard Florida Will Begin Construction Immediately
http://www.exmiami.org/index.php/fin...n-immediately/
:cheers:

afiggatt Jun 24, 2014 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatman (Post 6629615)
Which brings me to my question: What kind of train do they plan on operating? I have no idea what kind of train they are using in the video. I was expecting to see a train looking more like this:

Which is basically Amtrak California equipment with a more interesting paint job. And if that is the equipment they plan on using, why did they come up with this fancy animation instead of grabbing footage of the Surfliners in action? That wouldn't be hard.
Maybe I'm just hoping they'll be using sleek streamlined equipment like in the video. It will certainly look better in the Miami station than standard US passenger stock.

The Enviromental Assessment submitted by AAF for the Miami to WPB segment states that the stations will utilize high level platforms.The platforms at Fort Lauderdale and WPB will be 800' long while Miami will have four 1000' long platforms. They will not be using Surfliner or the Nippon-Sharyo corridor bi-level cars as those are for low level platforms only.

AFAIK, AAF has not said much about the rolling stock they plan to buy. They may still be in negotiations with potential vendors on which equipment they will buy. But it will be coach cars or trainsets that support high level platforms for level boarding. Maybe AAF is looking at DMU trainsets, but if not, then my guess is on diesel locomotives that the choices are either the EMD F-125 or the Siemens Charger which won the CA and Mid-west locomotive contract a few months ago.

ardecila Jun 24, 2014 10:46 PM

How can they build high-level platforms given the heavy volume of double-stack containers on FEC's tracks? Isn't there a clearance issue?

afiggatt Jun 25, 2014 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6630644)
How can they build high-level platforms given the heavy volume of double-stack containers on FEC's tracks? Isn't there a clearance issue?

Double stack containers are not an issue for high level platforms. It is wide loads or loads that shift when they shouldn't. The Miami station will be on a dead end branch south of the FEC line to the port, so it won't see freight trains at its platforms. Perhaps they are planning a bypass or a gauntlet track at the Fort Lauderdale and WPB stations.

The entire set of Environmental Assessment documents for the WPB to Miami segment that were filed with the FRA and the FRA FONSI response are available on the FRA website in the eLibrary section. Do a search for "All Aboard Florida" and the documents show up. Or use this link. Feel free to read the EA and the appendices on the Conceptual Station Plans and the proposed track charts. Might be something in there about bypass/guantlet tracks. Or the FEC is not concerned about wide loads on their line.

Wizened Variations Jun 25, 2014 4:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 (Post 6600825)
and Transbay in SF
ARC Station in Anaheim
the MMPT in Atlanta...on and on

Much more unusual than you think. There are multiple lines that are to pass through the station (that eliminates Denver.) The Anaheim Regional Transportation District is, from what I understand via http://www.articinfo.com/PDF/130731_ARTIC_PPT.pdf and other articles, the ARTIC Station is a commuter rail and HSR station served by buses. Projected user base is 51,900 (which is on the low side, IMO).

This is one of the California Stations that are dependent on the California HSR being built. Outside of that, the Station has nothing special other than the glorious glass and steel cover.

What sets the similarly "in the future" Miami Station apart is that the Station is downtown; and, like Anaheim, has three different sets of through tracks* (neither the FEC or the Metroline terminate (dead end) at the station. However, the station is smack downtown in a vigorous part of town and is associated with a Japanese style build out around the station. Thousands will work, and, hotel guests will stay, ABOVE the rail station.

This type of design was created in Japan, where for generations multi through line stations had huge stores built within 100 meters walking distance, office towers and entertainment on top of stations, and, shopping malls built along station passageways.

(I forgot to include the Union Station Project, in LA. If they build it out as dreamed, it would be the greatest station built in the US since the 1930s.)

*Including Metrolink. So there would be the FEC heavy rail line, the Commuter line, and, Metrolink.

eleven=11 Jun 25, 2014 9:36 AM

yes the Miami All Aboard will be nice and very busy
don't forget that the Fort Lauderdale Station will also
connect with the Wave Train.
Palm Beach Post say that the All Aboard is also going
to Jacksonville sooner than thought.......
if they start buying the vacant land around the
Jacksonville Train Station that would be WOW.

Lakelander Jun 25, 2014 10:17 AM

I was told by a credible source a year ago that AAF had made contact inquiring about the future of the old Jax terminal and the publicly owned land surrounding it. I was also in a meeting in Daytona Beach, earlier this month, where city officials/community leaders were being encouraged to start lobbying for a station of their own.

Quote:

New court documents point to All Aboard Florida service to Jacksonville

Court documents filed last week by All Aboard Florida and a newly formed related company point to the passenger rail’s extension of its service on the Florida East Coast Railway tracks north to Jacksonville.

The new company, AAF Jacksonville Segment LLC, which was registered in Delaware May 29, penned agreements filed in St. Johns County June 18 that confirm its rights to run passenger rail on the lines from Cocoa to Jacksonville.
full article: http://realtime.blog.palmbeachpost.c...-Jacksonville/

eleven=11 Jun 25, 2014 10:22 AM

oh Daytona Beach is a good place
wonder if the locals there will protest it
like in palm beach.
probably not

Lakelander Jun 25, 2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6631206)
oh Daytona Beach is a good place
wonder if the locals there will protest it
like in palm beach.
probably not

I know for a fact that they won't. They'd welcome AAF with open arms. They've been lobbying to get Sunrail extended to their side of the county. Outside of Brevard, I wouldn't expect too much opposition heading north. The region is less populated and the only two places worth considering for stops before Jax (St. Augustine and Daytona Beach) are major tourism destinations.

eleven=11 Jul 7, 2014 1:51 AM

the sun sentinel has a article about the
fort Lauderdale station, says that on Tuesday
they will show plans for the stations.........

Lakelander Jul 7, 2014 9:07 PM

Now for some dirt.....

Quote:

Rick Scott adviser had inside track to keep All Aboard Florida rail project rolling

When Gov. Rick Scott ran for governor in 2010, the GOP establishment supported former Attorney General Bill McCollum.

So when Scott, a former health care executive, spent nearly $40 million of his own wealth to beat McCollum in the Republican primary, fences needed to be mended between the rookie politician and the party he now led.

Enter Adam Hollingsworth.

At the time of the 2010 primary, Hollingsworth was making $189,000-per-year as chief of staff to then-Jacksonville Mayor John Peyton.

He took a leave of absence, recruited by both the Republican Party of Florida chairman and Scott campaign manager Susie Wiles, to help fix the relationship between Scott and the party’s elite.

Hollingsworth became one of Scott’s most trusted advisers, a position he used to influence the administration’s rejection of billions in federal high-speed rail money, then later lobby for a rail project that would benefit his employer, according to emails, text messages and administration documents obtained by the Scripps/Tribune Capital Bureau.
full article: http://tbo.com/news/blogs/fresh-sque..._medium=Social

electricron Jul 7, 2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakelander (Post 6644748)
Now for some dirt.....
full article: http://tbo.com/news/blogs/fresh-sque..._medium=Social

Since when is it dirty politics or illegal for a political advisor to give political advice to a governor?

Lakelander Jul 8, 2014 3:00 AM

^Some are of the belief that he advised killing HSR between Tampa and Orlando for the benefit of the rail project proposed by the railroad company he was also getting a check from.

N830MH Jul 8, 2014 5:51 AM

Any news about Tri-Rail expansion lately? Did they extend service to Jupiter or Stuart?

Here is the press release from Tri-Rail.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/2014/0...commuter-rail/

eleven=11 Jul 8, 2014 7:56 PM

so the Ft Lauderdale station looks like the Miami station just smaller.
I like the angle triangle stuff and all the glass.
ANY NEWS ON THE WAVE TRAIN.
where is the skyscraper page for info on the wave train.

electricron Jul 8, 2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakelander (Post 6645166)
^Some are of the belief that he advised killing HSR between Tampa and Orlando for the benefit of the rail project proposed by the railroad company he was also getting a check from.

Since when being a public employee, the chief of staff of the mayor of Jacksonville, makes him a private employee of FEC?

Additionally, I would like to point out that neither the FHSR project nor AAF plan to go to Jacksonville soon.

atlantaguy Jul 9, 2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 6646426)
Since when being a public employee, the chief of staff of the mayor of Jacksonville, makes him a private employee of FEC?

Additionally, I would like to point out that neither the FHSR project nor AAF plan to go to Jacksonville soon.

You clearly don't understand Florida politics, particularly the very corrupt current Administration. There is actual seething hatred around the State for their pathetic excuse of a Governor.

And I wouldn't make any bets about AAF not planning to go to Jacksonville soon. It will be sooner than anyone thinks.

electricron Jul 9, 2014 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlantaguy (Post 6646509)
You clearly don't understand Florida politics, particularly the very corrupt current Administration. There is actual seething hatred around the State for their pathetic excuse of a Governor.

And I wouldn't make any bets about AAF not planning to go to Jacksonville soon. It will be sooner than anyone thinks.

Maybe I don't understand Florida politics, but an advisor giving any governor advice, be they democrat or republican, isn't corrupt. That's what advisors are supposed to do.
Do you have any evidence about the advisor or governor receiving any illegal payments or illegal favors from FEC or AAF? Now, that would be corruption.

eleven=11 Jul 9, 2014 1:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlantaguy (Post 6646509)

agree. Rick Scott is giving politics in Florida a bad name.
That is saying a lot.
but people with half a brain knew that before he was elected.
his election was bad luck on the democrats side.

also Jacksonville & Daytona seem like a really good idea
people will take the train to Orlando and then fly Out/In
its a plus/plus for the airport
ANY news on the Orlando Station/Garage?

N830MH Jul 9, 2014 2:55 AM

Rail's plan means traffic changes ahead

Quote:

Drivers will feel the impact of All Aboard Florida's new passenger service long before the first trains roll down the tracks in late 2016.

In the coming weeks and months, construction will begin on the project's first phase from Miami to West Palm Beach. And that means:

The entire Florida East Coast Railway corridor from Miami to West Palm Beach will get a second track, so trains can pass each other and go faster. As they are built, crossings at major roads and dozens of minor streets will be closed for several days to up to a week. The closures would likely be staggered.
http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#secti.../p2p-80750516/

Lakelander Jul 10, 2014 4:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6646085)
so the Ft Lauderdale station looks like the Miami station just smaller.
I like the angle triangle stuff and all the glass.
ANY NEWS ON THE WAVE TRAIN.
where is the skyscraper page for info on the wave train.

The Fort Lauderdale Station:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5596/...d4bf5634_z.jpg

To be honest, I was expecting some TOD to go along with it.

Hatman Jul 10, 2014 7:00 AM

^^^ That is one cool looking station.
I see 1 high-level island platform with two station tracks and - is that a third track I see on the far side? Is that how freight trains are going to get around the high platform?

I like that the V's are continuing from the Miami station. I like the branding, and I think this passenger service 'gets' branding better than any other train operators in North America. Also, I know the company name is All Aboard Florida, but I thought the train service would be called something else, as 'I took the All Aboard Florida to Miami the other day' just doesn't work. It would be cool if they named the train service after something beginning with 'V' to go along with their station designs.

Troyeth Jul 10, 2014 8:21 AM

Agreed. For a new rail passenger service that attempts to be at once modern, efficient and effective, the name All Aboard Florida is certainly hokey and gratingly nostalgic.

UrbanImpact Jul 10, 2014 1:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakelander (Post 6648548)
The Fort Lauderdale Station:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5596/...d4bf5634_z.jpg

To be honest, I was expecting some TOD to go along with it.

There already is TOD around it and more under construction to the North and the East of the station. The problem is the blighted area to the West of it.

ardecila Jul 10, 2014 5:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troyeth (Post 6648658)
Agreed. For a new rail passenger service that attempts to be at once modern, efficient and effective, the name All Aboard Florida is certainly hokey and gratingly nostalgic.

People will just say "I took the train".

If you're visiting a friend in another city and he asks you how you got there, you don't tell him the airline you flew on or the interstate you took.

Busy Bee Jul 10, 2014 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6649212)
People will just say "I took the train".

If you're visiting a friend in another city and he asks you how you got there, you don't tell him the airline you flew on or the interstate you took.

Yeah the name is plain bad. The worst combination of casual branding with theme park appeal and archaic ye old railroad culture. But ardecila is correct that people won't use the name that much. It would be nice if before it opened they announced a name change, to oh I don't know Florida East Coast Railway perhaps?

brickell Jul 10, 2014 7:32 PM

Perhaps?
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5299/...3aab49b2_z.jpg

eleven=11 Jul 11, 2014 9:28 AM

is there more pics of the Ft Lauderdale station?
can you post a link to better/more pics
I know its a small building.....

how about the Miami station - how much retail does it have?

mr jones Jul 12, 2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6650271)
is there more pics of the Ft Lauderdale station?
can you post a link to better/more pics
I know its a small building.....

how about the Miami station - how much retail does it have?

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/gallery/53151

:cheers:

Jasonhouse Jul 12, 2014 11:33 PM

^Nice...

I always figured they would give the service itself a name in time, and that "All Aboard Florida" was just some retarded name for the construction project.

Maybe the "Orange Express" or something.

N830MH Jul 13, 2014 5:39 AM

What happened the NW 2nd Ave & NW 2nd St? The county bus does not go through on NW 2nd St? Is that no longer?

mr jones Jul 13, 2014 1:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 6652455)
What happened the NW 2nd Ave & NW 2nd St? The county bus does not go through on NW 2nd St? Is that no longer?

Buses would have to use the next north crossing at NW 4th St. According to AAF, that won't add any time to current route schedules.

eleven=11 Jul 14, 2014 11:00 AM

the palm beach post says that AAF just
bought more land for the station and access road

chris08876 Jul 21, 2014 5:01 PM

West Palm Beach Station

This is All Aboard Florida's West Palm Beach Station Design

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...19/ZnguRSQ.jpg
http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...23/59W2lwE.jpg

Quote:

All Aboard Florida, the private intercity passenger rail line coming to South Florida, has unveiled the design of its future $29 million West Palm Beach train station, which it plans to begin construction on before the end of the year. We're noticing a coordinated design aesthetic here, with the Miami and Fort Lauderdale stations: vertical v-shaped thingies support a boxy superstructure, in white. The new station, which is designed by Skidmore Owings & Merrill and Zyscovich along with the others, will be between Datura and Evernia Streets, and will have seating for 180 people and a surface parking lot for 90 cars.
===================================
Monday, July 21, 2014
http://miami.curbed.com/archives/201...ion-design.php

atlantaguy Jul 22, 2014 5:45 AM

I like SOM's designs of all of the stations, but I've always been a fan of most of their work.

Can't wait to see the design of the Orlando station with the massive adjacent parking garage, SunRail connection, people-mover connection to the terminal and the possible hint to the beginnings of the new South Terminal complex.

bobdreamz Jul 22, 2014 7:17 AM

Downtown Miami Rail Station Approved, Groundbreaking Set For September

County commissioners unanimously approved All Aboard Florida’s plan to build a rail terminal in downtown Miami at a zoning hearing last week.

Jose Gonzalez, a representative of the rail company, told commissioners that groundbreaking for the station is set for September. Site work at the project will begin in August, leading to the loss of hundreds of parking spaces currently on the site.

The hearing lasted just ten minutes, and mostly consisted of commissioners showering praise on All Aboard Florida. Commissioners were invited to attend the formal groundbreaking ceremony.

City of Miami officials were also granted a say in the design, and joined county staff in granting unanimous approval.

The first phase of construction will cost $150 million and include mostly station and retail space. Eventually, the project could include office, hotel and residential use.

At issue: While Miami-Dade Transit wanted developers to commit to building a pedestrian overpass connecting the future rail station to the existing Metrorail Government Center station, All Aboard Florida wanted to work out the logistics and feasibility of an overpass down the road.

“We want the same goal.… But you are telling me ‘Now. You have to commit this way,’” All Aboard Florida’s Jose Gonzalez told the committee. “That’s where I think you guys are overreaching.”

Albert Hernandez of Miami-Dade Transit countered that such an overpass is feasible and would be needed early on once All Aboard Florida begins running trains.

In the end, the parties settled on a mandate calling for an “elevated pedestrian connection” built in the first phase of the station’s development as long as other agencies OK such an overpass.

http://www.exmiami.org/index.php/dow...set-september/

eleven=11 Jul 22, 2014 7:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlantaguy (Post 6663975)
I like SOM's designs of all of the stations, but I've always been a fan of most of their work.

Can't wait to see the design of the Orlando station with the massive adjacent parking garage, SunRail connection, people-mover connection to the terminal and the possible hint to the beginnings of the new South Terminal complex.

about the Orlando station , I like how AAF tracks arrive from the north
go nearby the main terminal complex then south to the new garage/terminal.
also Sunrail will arrive from the south (thru the rail yards) and come up north to garage/terminal.
also the MonoRail to the convention center I have no idea.

the design of FT laud & WPB & Miami very nice
some people thought that AAF needed more station stops
but I think fewer stations but better quality is the way to go.
anyways those stations are where 95% of people want to go.

eleven=11 Jul 24, 2014 1:39 PM

saw a AAF tv commercial..

Jasonhouse Jul 24, 2014 3:55 PM

^In what market?

eleven=11 Jul 24, 2014 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonhouse (Post 6667610)
^In what market?

lake worth / palm beach
don't remember what channel I was watching
and didn't see the first half, only the end
with a large All Aboard Florida logo
I watch way to much tv and usually don't pay any
attention to commercials.

eleven=11 Jul 29, 2014 8:33 AM

saw the TV commercial again..
channel 42 msnbc Comcast cable
very nice and to the point

somehow I think Rick Scott is gonna screw this thing up.