SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | The 78 Site (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233449)

emathias Mar 25, 2020 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan (Post 8872035)
Im not sure about you, but I personally have never seen an office park with heavy public transit within (or, in this case, under) it. Furthermore, I cant think of any suburban developments with road connections to its surroundings, as is the case with this. This development could definitely use a couple infrastructure refinements, but overall it is very well integrated with existing infrastructure.

If this is an office park, then what is Chicago south of Polk, north of 18th, east of Clark, and west of State? In my opinion theyre enormous tracts of underutilized land that shouldve followed this developments guidelines. To a cross degree at least...

Canary Wharf? This shares at least some aspects with Canary Wharf, which is practically the entire reason the DLR exists.

ChiTownWonder Mar 26, 2020 3:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west-town-brad (Post 8853894)
Is this not just the evolution of corporate office park meets urban infill?

you're right, this is just like a suburban office park except Lasalle Street isn't 6 lanes, and residential buildings, parks, and plazas will replace what would be surface lots. So were you saying this is an issue? my only critique is that i wish the buildings themselves would be mixed use so every building and area would be lively with different people throughout the day, rather than a small scale flow of people from the residential towers to the offices then back. but also I don't think we've seen a final land/ tower use plan? Probably because each development will be built according to the current market demands.

jtown,man Mar 27, 2020 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan (Post 8872035)
Im not sure about you, but I personally have never seen an office park with heavy public transit within (or, in this case, under) it. Furthermore, I cant think of any suburban developments with road connections to its surroundings, as is the case with this. This development could definitely use a couple infrastructure refinements, but overall it is very well integrated with existing infrastructure.

If this is an office park, then what is Chicago south of Polk, north of 18th, east of Clark, and west of State? In my opinion theyre enormous tracts of underutilized land that shouldve followed this developments guidelines. To a cross degree at least...

Check out the northern Atlanta metro. They have exactly what you just described.

On a side note...

I used to be very DESTROY the Dearborn developments. However, I started taking my dog through them on regular walks and I am actually really impressed with them(well, the southern part). SO many kids running around and families everywhere walking around. Like, if I had a family and wanted to live in the city I could see how the area would be so attractive.

CrazyCres Apr 21, 2020 2:22 AM

New renderings and Info:

https://www.78chicago.com/lease-offi...e/the-78-north

The tallest tower in phase 1 is 230 Meters, and the shortest is 69 Meters.

AMWChicago Apr 21, 2020 3:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCres (Post 8899527)
New renderings and Info:

https://www.78chicago.com/lease-offi...e/the-78-north

The tallest tower in phase 1 is 230 Meters, and the shortest is 69 Meters.

Holy fuck! A 750 footer in Phase 1. I'll take it. I love the ambition!

Downtowntransplant Apr 21, 2020 8:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMWChicago (Post 8899587)
Holy fuck! A 750 footer in Phase 1. I'll take it. I love the ambition!

The renderings look great. And like you said, a good tower to push the skyline further south.

Randomguy34 Apr 21, 2020 5:35 PM

It looks like Phase I will cover the portion from Roosevelt to 14th St, with the DPI being just south of that. It's gonna be kinda funny seeing +500' buildings cover Dearborn Park in shadows

https://i.imgur.com/oL777lS.png

https://www.78chicago.com/sites/defa...&itok=AbOaqzMW
Source: https://www.78chicago.com/lease-offi...e/the-78-north

lakeshoredrive Apr 21, 2020 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomguy34 (Post 8900070)
It looks like Phase I will cover the portion from Roosevelt to 14th St, with the DPI being just south of that. It's gonna be kinda funny seeing +500' buildings cover Dearborn Park in shadows

https://i.imgur.com/oL777lS.png

https://www.78chicago.com/sites/defa...&itok=AbOaqzMW
Source: https://www.78chicago.com/lease-offi...e/the-78-north

this phase is going to be so exciting to watch. it looks like the building that is between the gateway towers and the riverfront innovation office is around 600 feet?

also, just to clarify... the DPI building/15th st cta station will be built the same time as phase one?

Randomguy34 Apr 21, 2020 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive (Post 8900114)
this phase is going to be so exciting to watch. it looks like the building that is between the gateway towers and the riverfront innovation office is around 600 feet?

also, just to clarify... the DPI building/15th st cta station will be built the same time as phase one?

The DPI is a part of Phase I and will open in 2024. The 15th St station will be built at a later phase, hopefully not much later

r18tdi Apr 21, 2020 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomguy34 (Post 8900133)
The DPI is a part of Phase I and will open in 2024. The 15th St station will be built at a later phase, hopefully not much later

Interesting, the latest renderings I've seen show the DPI south end of the "Parkside HQ." Do we think the crescent park going to be built in two phases?

Zapatan Apr 21, 2020 9:30 PM

This is really exciting, I wonder when we'll start seeing construction activity. I couldn't find that in the article.

ardecila Apr 21, 2020 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 8900164)
Interesting, the latest renderings I've seen show the DPI south end of the "Parkside HQ." Do we think the crescent park going to be built in two phases?

Based on Lakeshore East, Related won't build anything in terms of infrastructure or public space until they have to.

Right now it looks like DPI is the only actual building that is moving forward, the others will depend on leasing activity but Related is steering tenants to the NE corner where they are only a short walk from transit connections at Roosevelt.

If they do end up building the Red Line station, the south half of the site will be a mess for years since Related will need to relocate or otherwise work around the active freight and Metra tracks that sit directly above the station site.

SIGSEGV Apr 21, 2020 10:14 PM

DPI is going to make DPI-I and DPI-II look really silly.

(sorry, couldn't resist).

Handro Apr 22, 2020 2:22 PM

I recall reading somewhere (Crains? Tribune?) that they are going to start the building at the far northwest parcel before lining up tenants... can't find the article now though. It was just a few weeks before The Great Pause, so maybe things have changed.

EDIT: Aha, found it a few pages ago

The 78 lands a big tenant draw with DPI

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...enant-draw-dpi

Quote:

DPI also could give the 78 an advantage over other sprawling megaprojects hunting for tenants. Those include Sterling Bay's Lincoln Yards campus between Lincoln Park and Bucktown and Tribune Media's River District proposal along the North Branch of the Chicago River.

The 500,000-square-foot DPI building slated to break ground before the end of this year will eventually be home to some 2,000 students, a pipeline of U of I talent in downtown Chicago eager to wade into the city's deep corporate pool. In a tight labor market—one marked by companies moving entire headquarters to gain an edge in recruiting and retaining top tech talent—the prospect of setting up shop next to a training hub for one of the country's top engineering schools is a big draw.

"If there is an opportunity for (companies) to connect with the university and go right to the source of highly educated professionals that have a technical background, they're more likely to look at that location as a destination for an office," said Brad Serot, a vice chairman at CBRE who represented tech giant Salesforce in its 500,000-square-foot lease at a namesake tower soon to rise at Wolf Point.

Serot foresees DPI legitimizing the 78 as an emerging neighborhood the way Google did the Fulton Market District.

"This will have a ripple effect of similar magnitude, where (prospective tenants) will focus on the neighborhood and look at it a little bit differently, whereas before it may have not been on the tour list," he said.

Bailey is counting on that interest. He said Related Midwest plans to break ground in the next 12 months on a 300,000-square-foot office building at Roosevelt and the Chicago River whether or not it has signed a tenant to anchor it. Within that same time window, Related aims to begin work on other parts of the first phase of the 78, including a mixed-use tower along Roosevelt with a gym, hotel and as many as 500 apartments; a series of four-story, 120,000-square-foot office buildings closer to the river, and a five-acre park.

Another 1 million-square-foot office building immediately north of the DPI building would be built if Related can land a tenant to anchor it...

ardecila Apr 22, 2020 2:36 PM

^ Yeah I doubt if they will be willing to build a 16-story building entirely on spec at this point. You only do that if you think tenants will come calling based on seeing actual hard construction. But tenants aren't calling anywhere now. Even the tenants with lease expirations and a ticking clock have in many cases negotiated short-term extensions to remain in place.

Tom In Chicago Apr 22, 2020 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8900380)
Based on Lakeshore East, Related won't build anything in terms of infrastructure or public space until they have to.

Wait. . . what??? What did Related have to do with LSE? I must have missed something. . . I was under the impression LSE was Magellan. . .

. . .

Zapatan Apr 22, 2020 3:40 PM

What does DPI stand for? Department of Public Information?

This rendering rules btw, and to think it's only phase I :slob:

https://s3-prod.chicagobusiness.com/...04.32%20AM.png

ardecila Apr 22, 2020 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago (Post 8900919)
Wait. . . what??? What did Related have to do with LSE? I must have missed something. . . I was under the impression LSE was Magellan. . .

. . .

Yes, they are different developers.

I'm saying that the build-out of Lakeshore East over the last 2 decades is a good guide for how things will unfold at The 78, since both are infrastructure-heavy, highrise developments with park space.

Halsted & Villagio Apr 22, 2020 5:08 PM

Randomguy34 - "It looks like Phase I will cover the portion from Roosevelt to 14th St, with the DPI being just south of that. It's gonna be kinda funny seeing +500' buildings cover Dearborn Park in shadows"

I like the look of this - it could make Dearborn Park ever so faintly look like Central Park with tall buildings surrounding a low-lying area. Not a bad thing for that once forlorn/underdeveloped area of the city.

maru2501 Apr 22, 2020 7:10 PM

that's taller than I realized it was going to be

Mr Downtown Apr 23, 2020 1:11 AM

Keep those dancing bananas backstage, guys. No one's pulling any building permits for anything other than Discovery Partners Institute.

I have confidence that General Mediterranean can wait out a substantial recession or two, but I'll have to dig out the 1991 renderings of what a huge development "LaSalle Park" was going to be. Instead it ended up being parceled out for the Target, Amli 900, Roosevelt Collection, and the British School.

ChiTownWonder Apr 23, 2020 1:18 AM

Yeah, huge skyline extender. That view from Navy Pier and approaching from the Stevenson or Dan Ryan from the south will be impressive. These towers aren't super interesting to me but the tallest in particular looks unique compared to other 700+ footers in the city with its "bipolar" facades and angular setbacks.

Bonsai Tree Apr 23, 2020 1:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8901604)
Keep those dancing bananas backstage, guys. No one's pulling any building permits for anything other than Discovery Partners Institute.

I have confidence that General Mediterranean can wait out a substantial recession or two, but I'll have to dig out the 1991 renderings of what a huge development "LaSalle Park" was going to be. Instead it ended up being parceled out for the Target, Amli 900, Roosevelt Collection, and the British School.

I agree that the 78 could easily turn out different than anticipated and will probably turn out different than anticipated but I think that that type of mindset is a bit of a downer. There are plenty of master planned areas of Chicago that are let-downs but there are also plenty of master planned places that are great. So I'm going to keep believing this will be great, and I don't think there is any reason to temper our expectations until this thing is done in 10 or 20+ years.

SteelMonkey Apr 23, 2020 5:49 PM

[QUOTE=Zapatan;8900920]What does DPI stand for? Department of Public Information?

Its the collaboration with Univ of Ill's Discovery Partners Institute

Zapatan Apr 24, 2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelMonkey (Post 8902213)
Its the collaboration with Univ of Ill's Discovery Partners Institute

Flaccer05 May 1, 2020 10:40 PM

Good news they're still actively moving along with design!

Big U of I research center moves ahead
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/educ...er-moves-ahead

The University of Illinois took a step forward this week toward building the Discovery Partners Institute in Chicago, with the state’s Capital Development Board issuing a call for consultants to help design and construct the $250 million facility.

The university has been seeking to build the collaborative new research center in the South Loop for years now and won backing in February from Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker, who agreed to provide $500 million in state financing for DPI and a related statewide Illinois Innovation Network. The new institute will anchor Related Midwest's 78 development.

The Capital Development Board and university notice said the three-stage consultant selection process will kick off on May 14, with the public procurement period ending July 2.

CrazyCres Jun 18, 2020 9:39 PM

Are there any webcams on-site?

Barrelfish Jun 19, 2020 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCres (Post 8955873)

Unless I missed something, I think we are still a ways away from actual construction starting. So not much for a webcam to show yet.

ardecila Jun 19, 2020 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCres (Post 8955873)

I don't believe so, but FH Paschen is building the road and they sometimes post drone shots on their Twitter.

https://twitter.com/fhpaschen/status...24171796439042

jpIllInoIs Jul 14, 2020 7:18 PM

When will we see some evidence of Rail relocations?
1: Moving Rock Island line to the west to allow for Clark St access?
2:Realigning the St Charles airway?
3: any adjustments on the CN Freeport line?
4: any new under/over passes?

ardecila Jul 14, 2020 8:22 PM

FHP has been digging out the approach on the south side of the Freeport sub tracks, looks like they're gearing up to build the Wentworth underpass there. They will use the existing underpass below the St Charles Air Line, which will require an awkward kink in the road.

The Rock Island relocation is a bigger chunk of change, same for the Red Line station... remember that Related is fronting the cost of these improvements and the city will reimburse from the TIF. However, the TIF won't generate any money until there are developments in place paying property taxes. Discovery Partners Institute is the first phase in theory, but if the UI system takes ownership of that parcel then it will generate no tax revenue.

I imagine Related will get the final design prepared for all the infrastructure improvements and then wait it out until they feel confident putting up new office and residential buildings.

CN is also working their way westward replacing bridges on the St Charles Air Line in the South Loop...

Mr Downtown Jul 14, 2020 11:11 PM

At least the last time I asked the Related guys, they were not planning to use that existing underpass but to put in a new one on the proper alignment. I breathed a sigh of relief, because previous plans had relied on that old Santa Fe underpass, which points the wrong direction.

I keep hoping I'll catch the Paschen field engineer down on the Ping Tom end and ask him about the timing. The new diamonds for the RI-SCAL crossing have been sitting out there for months, and the SCAL bridge has been up since April.

Ardecila, I think the full proceeds of the TIF bonds are available as soon as they're sold. It's the bondholders, not Related, who get paid back from the future property tax increment. (Related may well have bought the bonds themselves; that's become common for developers to do.)

SIGSEGV Jul 17, 2020 4:13 AM

An update from sloopin on the wells-wentworth connector: http://www.sloopin.com/2020/07/some-...-well.html?m=1

ardecila Jul 17, 2020 6:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8981345)
At least the last time I asked the Related guys, they were not planning to use that existing underpass but to put in a new one on the proper alignment. I breathed a sigh of relief, because previous plans had relied on that old Santa Fe underpass, which points the wrong direction.

Hmm interesting, Related's site plan still shows an awkward kink there - although Wells-Wentworth is a CDOT project and not Related. I wonder if it's a total rebuild or if they're just knocking out the skewed center pier and putting in a clear span?

Quote:

Ardecila, I think the full proceeds of the TIF bonds are available as soon as they're sold. It's the bondholders, not Related, who get paid back from the future property tax increment. (Related may well have bought the bonds themselves; that's become common for developers to do.)
I read the RDA again and it does contain an estimated timetable - with the exception of Wells-Wentworth which is a direct CDOT project, the Related projects are not to start until the end of the year at the earliest: https://i.imgur.com/7BEUjeI.jpg

There's a 10-year window on the city funding, too, so Related would have to complete everything by April 2029 or they're on the hook for the cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8981345)
I keep hoping I'll catch the Paschen field engineer down on the Ping Tom end and ask him about the timing. The new diamonds for the RI-SCAL crossing have been sitting out there for months, and the SCAL bridge has been up since April.

I'm not sure how many times the 18th St junction will get re-aligned... it will be re-aligned when CN rebuilds the SCAL, including shifting the Clark St bridge further north. It will be re-aligned when Related moves the Rock Island tracks further west. Then the whole junction will need to be shoo-flyed while they build the Red Line station underneath. Hoo boy.

CrazyCres Jul 17, 2020 5:58 PM

A larger look on progress on the road itself

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCv9a2YD...d=jc0ojji42y5u

ardecila Jul 18, 2020 10:06 PM

Nice to see they are putting in bus pads... so it would appear they are planning ahead for bus service on the corridor. I don't think we know which routes will go through here yet, but it's good to know they can! You can also see the grading for some seriously wide sidewalks on the left there - probably like Michigan Ave sidewalks or wider, with a cycle track on each side at sidewalk level.

I also think the new bridge structure for the SCAL is visible at the end of the video there, just waiting to be dropped in.

Mr Downtown Jul 19, 2020 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8983934)
I'm not sure how many times the 18th St junction will get re-aligned.

Just once, I think. Related conferred with CN and to Metra before having the crossing fabricated and delivered.

SIGSEGV Aug 9, 2020 4:48 AM

From yesterday evening:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw...-no?authuser=0

I think I see a pedestrian crossing being put in?

ardecila Aug 9, 2020 5:44 AM

Looks like they're pouring the pavement at the intersection of Wells and 13th (Street? Place?) right there. From the site plan it looks like those first two intersections won't be real streets, but entrances to the underground parking garage below the Crescent Park.

Also I never realized but that little stuff in the foreground next to the trailers is clearly a mockup of the new street. The darker path is the separated bike lane with parkways on either side, between the sidewalk and street. Not sure what material that is on the bike path, could be a stain or color in the concrete, or maybe something permeable?

ChiTownWonder Aug 9, 2020 3:14 PM

^ Good catch, Love that the pedestrians will be separated from the bikes which will be separated from car traffic, IMO that is the way all new streets should be.

Ineffable Aug 9, 2020 4:38 PM

As long as the bikes actually use the bike lanes. Could that be enforced?

ardecila Aug 9, 2020 10:15 PM

^ Not really. I'm sure once offices open up here, we'll get bike messengers zooming down the traffic lanes. But for those who want a safer, more low-stress option the sidewalk lanes should be pretty nice. The ones on Roosevelt are pretty popular.

SIGSEGV Aug 9, 2020 10:52 PM

Yeah although clueless pedestrians wander into them on Roosevelt

emathias Sep 1, 2020 8:24 AM

I still don't understand why the Red Line station won't be open until 2028 unless they don't expect people to be working there until then.

the urban politician Sep 1, 2020 1:58 PM

^ Well, you sorta answered your own question. I mean, unless you want to get off the subway and hang out on a large field, there will need to be some more buildings there before spending $$ on the station will be worthwhile.

Plus, with the pandemic slowing things down for a while, it makes even more sense

ardecila Sep 1, 2020 3:30 PM

Wells Wentworth - 08/25/20

https://i.imgur.com/vTMfPtk.jpg

Vintage retaining wall being unearthed:
https://i.imgur.com/xGWXKtS.jpg

Temporary bridge waiting to be used:
https://i.imgur.com/pvhaQGc.jpg

Chi-Sky21 Sep 1, 2020 5:14 PM

Thanks for the update!

r18tdi Sep 1, 2020 5:54 PM

I heard a rumor that a big finacnial company might be kicking the tires around these parts...

ChiPlanner Sep 1, 2020 6:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 9029207)
I heard a rumor that a big finacnial company might be kicking the tires around these parts...

Out-of-state relocation or in-metro move?

the urban politician Sep 1, 2020 7:14 PM

Discover Financial? I always wished they'd get out of the burbs