SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Urban Cycling Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178887)

M II A II R II K Aug 26, 2013 4:18 PM

Insidious Chicago Bike-Share Station Threatens Home and Hearth!

Read More: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/com...d-hearth/6648/

Quote:

The people who live in the three-unit condo at 3565 North Pine Grove Avenue on Chicago's North Side began to imagine all manner of evils before the Divvy station even arrived this week. Parking would disappear! And property values would tumble! And strangers! There would be strangers outside their very front door!

OK, lawsuits don't typically contain exclamation points. But it's hard to take seriously the particular screeds of property owners wigged out by... people sharing bikes... on public property. This latest complaint was filed this week in Cook County Circuit Court by the 3565 North Pine Grove Condominium Association, which is suing the local alderman and the Chicago Department of Transportation over a Divvy bikeshare station that landed on the block just days ago.

-----

Pine Grove alleges that the installation of the Station at the front door of Pine Grove will threaten home and hearth. Strangers will be at the front door, 24 hours a day and children who come and go from the building, which has no doorman, will be at risk.

Further, property values will be diminished as thousands of dollars in recent parkway improvements financed by plaintiff are destroyed by the construction and as units will be less desirable because of public invasion, noise, trash and vulnerability, as well as more congestion and less available parking in an already too congested neighborhood.

Residents are concerned that strangers can easily follow minors through the front doors of the building. The Station should be installed in a higher trafficked area, near public transportation lines and not on a quiet, residential street seeking to retain some calm in an already busy area.

http://cdn.theatlanticcities.com/img..._z/largest.jpg

M II A II R II K Aug 30, 2013 6:05 PM

The American Bike-Share Fleet Has Doubled Since January

Read More: http://dc.streetsblog.org/2013/08/30...since-january/

Quote:

This has been an epic year for bike-share in America. According to a report from the Earth Policy Institute, the opening of Bay Area Bike Share yesterday brought the cumulative size of the bike-share fleets in U.S. cities to 18,000 bikes, more than twice what it was at the beginning of 2013.

There are now 34 modern bike-share systems across the U.S. in cities as varied as Chicago, Miami Beach, and Chattanooga, Tennessee, EPI’s Janet Larsen writes in Grist. By the end of next year, Larsen anticipates the number of shared bikes available to the American public will have doubled again.

The year-to-date numbers in 2013 have been bolstered by the opening of New York’s Citi Bike, with 6,000 bikes, and Chicago’s Divvy Bikes, with 1,500. Both cities intend to grow their systems substantially. Several smaller systems launched in 2013 as well, including ones in Aspen, Columbus, Fort Worth, and Salt Lake City.

Still, the scale of bike-share systems in U.S. cities still trails the size of leading networks in Asia and Europe, Larsen writes. Citi Bike is North America’s largest bike-share system, but it barely cracks the top 20 list of the world’s largest. In first place is Wuhan, China, with 90,000 bikes.

http://dc.streetsblog.org/wp-content...ts40_fleet.png

Rubbee Drive

Quote:

It is a friction drive module for most standard bicycles on the market. 25 km/h top speed and 25 km range make this a perfect solution for your daily rides. Aluminium parts are CNC machined from aircraft-grade aluminium and an integrated battery management system makes sure that the battery pack is healthy for thousands of cycles.

http://www.rubbee.co.uk/sites/defaul...er/banner1.jpg

Chicago Shawn Sep 1, 2013 12:14 AM

Chicago's Divvy Bikes hit the 2 month mark on August 28th; here are the stats:

Over 230,000 trips taken

Over 6,200 Annual Members

Over 55,700 24 hour passes sold

Over 680,000 Miles Traveled

200 stations now active; 100 more planned to be launched very soon. Its been a epic hit, way beyond initial expectations.

emathias Sep 1, 2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn (Post 6251111)
Its been a epic hit, way beyond initial expectations.

Has it? Beyond whose expectations? I think it's been successful, but it's certainly not beyond my expectations, and it has 90% few annual members than New York's program. I don't think overblowing the actually level of success will help it.

It is kind of weird - I love Divvy and use it very nearly every day, but it's also motivated me to use my own bikes a lot more. And in fact I just bought a fourth bike today, one that comes close to being the perfect bike for me, one I could use to commute with. I'm also a fickle Divvy rider. They initially put a station across the street from my house and I used it to commute every day. Then last week they moved it a block away and I only used it once for commuting since then, instead using my own bikes or, once, driving to work.

Chicago Shawn Sep 1, 2013 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 6251129)
Has it? Beyond whose expectations? I think it's been successful, but it's certainly not beyond my expectations, and it has 90% few annual members than New York's program. I don't think overblowing the actually level of success will help it.

It is kind of weird - I love Divvy and use it very nearly every day, but it's also motivated me to use my own bikes a lot more. And in fact I just bought a fourth bike today, one that comes close to being the perfect bike for me, one I could use to commute with. I'm also a fickle Divvy rider. They initially put a station across the street from my house and I used it to commute every day. Then last week they moved it a block away and I only used it once for commuting since then, instead using my own bikes or, once, driving to work.

CDOT mentioned that the usage rates after initial roll out have been far heavier than expected. They were quoted as such in a article (tribune or suntimes, can't remember which) published about 5 weeks after first launch on June 28th. We aren't comparable to Citibikes, yet. Citibikes is far larger in scope than Divvy will be for at least the 1st year. Further, Manhattan's overall density, transit usage and pedestrian activity are on a different level entirely when compared to a similar geographic area in Chicago; it was only natural for Citibikes to take off in the nature that it did.

the urban politician Sep 1, 2013 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 6251129)

If you want to put a damper on pretty much anything that involves 'urbanism' going on in Chicago, go ahead and compare to NYC's stats. But I for one really don't see the point in doing that.

ardecila Sep 1, 2013 6:27 PM

Yeah, Chicago isn't Manhattan. I'd like to see how Divvy's performance compares to Bixi in Montreal or Toronto. Those are probably the closest comparisons to Chicago, in terms of urban form, wealth levels, and bike share ambitions.

Capital Bikeshare might also be a good comparison.

the urban politician Sep 1, 2013 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6251526)
Yeah, Chicago isn't Manhattan. I'd like to see how Divvy's performance compares to Bixi in Montreal or Toronto. Those are probably the closest comparisons to Chicago, in terms of urban form, wealth levels, and bike share ambitions.

^ Well, to be honest, I'd go as far as saying I don't see any point in comparing at all.

A dense, urban city with a large population of people who walk and use transit (whether or not they own cars) is inevitably going to have a successful bike share program.

Sure you can go tit for tat over some of the stats between cities, but I would argue that in the proper setting, a bike share system is very much "If you build it, they will come"

audiomuse Sep 1, 2013 7:14 PM

Making Boston top in cycling commutes

NICOLE FREEDMAN’S words were as grand as the map draft on her City Hall desk. The map shows the city rimmed and crisscrossed 30 years from now by 364 miles of bike lanes, tripling its current 120-mile network.

Freedman is the director of Mayor Menino’s Boston Bikes program. The bicycle trail network is the centerpiece of a plan to make cycling so central to transportation that biking would account for 30 to 50 percent of all trips in Boston by 2043. These would range from commuters cycling in from bordering suburbs to local residents rushing out for a carton of milk.

That would bring Boston, currently at around 2 percent of all trips by bike, to European levels of cycling. No other major US city has a goal that high.

Read More: http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2...xAO/story.html

fflint Sep 1, 2013 8:31 PM

If I read the stats right, over the last two months Chicago has averaged a little under 4,000 bikeshare trips per day (I wonder if the weekday usage is higher and weekends lower?). How many bikes does Divvy have? There's a lot of conflicting information out there.

Citibike in NYC has 6,000 bikes--within the American context, that system is on a scale of its own.

begratto Sep 2, 2013 2:02 AM

Quote:

Montreal's Bixi has 50k members and 20k - 25k trips per day, with peaks around 30k. 5000 bikes are spread over 550 docking stations.

Chicago Shawn Sep 2, 2013 8:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fflint (Post 6251596)
If I read the stats right, over the last two months Chicago has averaged a little under 4,000 bikeshare trips per day (I wonder if the weekday usage is higher and weekends lower?). How many bikes does Divvy have? There's a lot of conflicting information out there.

Citibike in NYC has 6,000 bikes--within the American context, that system is on a scale of its own.

Divvy will eventually have 400 stations and 4000 bikes next year. The initial launch was on June 28th with 75 stations. 100 stations were active by late July, 150 by mid august and 200 right now. Another 100 stations should be on-line by the end of September. So, the stats would have been generated using an average of say 1000-1500 bikes in service over the 2 month period, as the system is only just now at the half way point for full implementation.

There have been discussions of expanding Divvy into Evanston and Oak Park as well; doing so would require an expansion of the network within the north and west sides of Chicago as well.

M II A II R II K Sep 3, 2013 3:51 PM

Electric-bicycle-sharing pilot program to launch in Berkeley, San Francisco in 2014

Read More: http://www.dailycal.org/2013/08/25/e...cisco-in-2014/

Quote:

Last Tuesday, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency board of directors granted $1.5 million for the program, which aims to increase mobility for Bay Area commuters, reduce emissions and lessen traffic congestion in the Bay Area. The program partners City CarShare, a Bay Area nonprofit car-sharing service, with the Transportation Sustainability Research Center at the UC Berkeley Institute of Transportation Studies.

- “The idea is that (the electric bicycle) becomes a resource, very much like a Zipcar,” said Daniel Kammen, co-director of the Transportation Sustainability Research Center. “You can go shopping and do various things up and down Berkeley’s hills. You’ll need the electric feature to get back and forth.” According to Susan Shaheen, co-director of the research center and leader of the electric-bicycle project, the project may be the first to be tested in the United States.

- Participants can access the bikes from up to 25 locations, eight of which are in Berkeley — including areas on the Northside and Southside near campus in the city of Berkeley as well as in Downtown Berkeley, according to Ben Jose, spokesperson for the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency. The program will provide 90 bikes, and 22 of the 90 will be electric cargo bicycles. “Given the hilly terrain of San Francisco and some of Berkeley, we think the electric bike might be an attractive option to many, particularly when transporting cargo,” Shaheen said.

http://www.planetizen.com/files/styl...?itok=nUlIcJaI

Park by Swarm

Read More: http://dirt.asla.org/2013/08/28/park-by-swarm/

Quote:

What if communities formed new parks when they needed them? What if these parks could be formed by swarms of bicycles? If that sounds like something out of a sci-fi novel, get ready because landscape architect John Bela, ASLA, at Rebar and artist Tim Wolfer at N55 have created Parkcycle Swarm. While this concept has been explored in a few locations in Europe, the team just created four small mobile parks for the Participate public arts festival in Baku, Azerbaijan.

- San Francisco-based urban design and public art firm Rebar first tested the Parkcycle concept for one of its famed Park(ing) Days. They describe the system as a “human-powered open space distribution system designed for agile movement within the existing auto-centric urban infrastructure.” In their lingo, “Parkcycle effectively re-programs the urban hardscape by delivering massive quantities of green open space—up to 4,320 square-foot-minutes of park per stop—thus temporarily reframing the right-of-way as green space, not just a car space.”

http://aslathedirt.files.wordpress.c.../08/cycle1.jpg

http://aslathedirt.files.wordpress.c.../08/cycle2.jpg

http://aslathedirt.files.wordpress.c.../08/cycle4.jpg

http://aslathedirt.files.wordpress.c...cle9.jpg?w=500

Rizzo Sep 3, 2013 6:10 PM

^ The problem I see with those Parkcycles is they are almost entirely a leisure bike. Big and wide and they appear slow moving.

It's important to ask what is public ROW for? Is it for conveyance of commuters and freight with consideration for reasonable leisure ride?

I mention this because any congested city I've biked in, the accommodation for bicycles and use by cyclists is somewhat rushed from Point A to Point B. Now to the point where I'm seeing passing lanes, and wider lanes.

It's fun and novel, but our streets have become scarier and more congested and cities have done their best to separate and accommodate modes. Bicyclists want faster commutes, drivers want lanes free of cyclists. Pedestrians want neither.... So now we throw in these novelty bikes that move and slow speeds and require some additional width clearance. I realize it's just a concept, but the more of these nutty designs make it to our streets, the more it challenges well planned motorized and non-motorized infrastructure to adapt in ways that some cities may not be able to do. I'm thrilled by new ideas, but I'm seeing specialized lanes so blatantly misused.

M II A II R II K Sep 3, 2013 6:17 PM

More suited to places like Europe then, unless they close streets for a while and have this set up take place from time to time.

emathias Sep 3, 2013 7:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn (Post 6252246)
There have been discussions of expanding Divvy into Evanston and Oak Park as well; doing so would require an expansion of the network within the north and west sides of Chicago as well.

Not necessarily, but it would be good if they did. Expanding in Rogers Park would be logical and straightforward. Expanding through West Garfield Park and/or North Lawndale would likely be problematic, though.

emathias Sep 3, 2013 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomuse (Post 6251545)
Making Boston top in cycling commutes
Freedman is the director of Mayor Menino’s Boston Bikes program. The bicycle trail network is the centerpiece of a plan to make cycling so central to transportation that biking would account for 30 to 50 percent of all trips in Boston by 2043. These would range from commuters cycling in from bordering suburbs to local residents rushing out for a carton of milk.

Step 1) Don't shut down your bike-share program for 5 months of the year.

emathias Sep 3, 2013 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 6251519)
If you want to put a damper on pretty much anything that involves 'urbanism' going on in Chicago, go ahead and compare to NYC's stats. But I for one really don't see the point in doing that.

Quote:

What I was taking exception to were the terms "epic hit" and "beyond all expectations," neither of which I think are accurate.

My comparison with New York wasn't to say we SHOULD be comparable to New York, but rather to say that in order to qualify as "epic" or "beyond all expectations" we'd at least have to be more in that direction.

As I said, Divvy is a success. I'm sure it will continue to grow in popularity. I was a member from Day 1 (member key number 195), am an ardent fan, have exchanged emails with the head of marketing there, and even found the "Divvy Red" and won a promotional prize for a photo of me on it. But the level of usage success it has attained is, in my opinion, about what I expected. The level of members is actually below what I would have expected, and I think that has to do with how well it's been pitched to locals, and a little confusion over pricing. Eventually that should get sorted out, but overblowing it's level of success doesn't help anything, which is why I objected to it.

fflint Sep 3, 2013 9:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 6253159)
^ The problem I see with those Parkcycles is they are almost entirely a leisure bike. Big and wide and they appear slow moving.

It's important to ask what is public ROW for? Is it for conveyance of commuters and freight with consideration for reasonable leisure ride?

I mention this because any congested city I've biked in, the accommodation for bicycles and use by cyclists is somewhat rushed from Point A to Point B. Now to the point where I'm seeing passing lanes, and wider lanes.

It's fun and novel, but our streets have become scarier and more congested and cities have done their best to separate and accommodate modes. Bicyclists want faster commutes, drivers want lanes free of cyclists. Pedestrians want neither.... So now we throw in these novelty bikes that move and slow speeds and require some additional width clearance. I realize it's just a concept, but the more of these nutty designs make it to our streets, the more it challenges well planned motorized and non-motorized infrastructure to adapt in ways that some cities may not be able to do. I'm thrilled by new ideas, but I'm seeing specialized lanes so blatantly misused.

This is another case in which I read about something (usually something odd, pointless and/or stupid) via Mark on this forum that nobody on the ground in San Francisco even knows about. I actively follow San Francisco issues like the bike culture, infrastructure, transportation issues, complete streets stuff (like parklets, which Rebar has designed here), and I know nothing of this "human-powered open space distribution system designed for agile movement within the existing auto-centric urban infrastructure" except the excerpt above. Seriously--those photos are not even from San Francisco.

ardecila Sep 3, 2013 9:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 6253159)

My main problem with this is that it relies on a really simplistic understanding of cities. Green=good, paved=bad. There are reasons why a lawn might be better than a sidewalk (permeability, carbon capture, etc) but putting astroturf over a sidewalk doesn't remotely solve the problem.

This also completely ignores the potential of paved areas to provide space for people within cities. Paving can be just as beautiful as grass, with a far greater durability and flexibility to host various kinds of program like festivals or markets as well as everyday socialization.

There have been a lot of these projects in the last few years - at first they were provocative, but now they're just a distraction from the very real and substantial issues that we have in cities regarding the allocation of public space.