SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

VivaLFuego Feb 17, 2011 3:54 PM

Different service patterns associated with each infrastructure alternative are indeed being identified and scored with respect to operating costs and rider impact (travel time, walk time, transfer time, etc.). However, those are only made more concrete as part of the Draft EIS (next step), not as part of the preliminary scoping (current step). As Beta notes, there's a pretty well-defined process to go through vis-a-vis advancing the technical work in concert with public involvement, but these things are definitely being studied.

ardecila Feb 17, 2011 8:17 PM

^^ Good to know. Thanks.

nomarandlee Feb 21, 2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...2409533.column

Proposal would link airport with Union Station, points downstate

Jon Hilkevitch

Getting Around

4:46 p.m. CST, February 20, 2011

In the future, one of the carriers serving travelers at O'Hare International Airport may be Amtrak.

Gov. Pat Quinn has asked Amtrak CEO Joseph Boardman to conduct a study examining what it would take, logistically and financially, to commence fast, nonstop passenger rail service between Chicago Union Station and O'Hare, your Getting Around reporter has learned.

The governor envisions the proposed rail line, which at this point is strictly conceptual, as offering a more extensive reach than the O'Hare branch of the CTA Blue Line, which runs between the Loop and the airport, and Mayor Richard Daley's plan for premium "Airport Express" service between the uncompleted Block 37 "super station" downtown and O'Hare.

Quinn's plan certainly would not resemble the impractical idea for a bullet train to O'Hare that Daley toted home last year after he rode a magnetic levitation train in Shanghai. The Shanghai Transrapid maglev train must start braking shortly after reaching its top speed of 268 mph, and it doesn't even go into downtown Shanghai.

But Quinn does see opportunities to build a synergistic connection between O'Hare, which serves tens of millions of air travelers each year, and state efforts to draw customers to the 110 mph passenger rail corridors it is constructing, beginning with the 284-mile route between Chicago and St. Louis.
Downtown Chicago and O'Hare represent the two largest employment centers in Illinois, creating a perfect setting for a premier trains-to-planes service that would attract new employers and riders, Quinn said.

"This connection would also provide better access to downstate cities and significantly boost ridership" outside the Chicago area, the governor wrote in a letter to Boardman this month.

"Advancing this connection would also establish O'Hare as a central — and connected — component of the nine-state, 110-mph Midwest Regional Rail System," the Quinn letter said.

The Midwest High Speed Rail Association already has supported an express rail link connecting O'Hare and Union Station. The association also has proposed that the higher-speed routes planned for the Midwest be linked directly to O'Hare to accommodate Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana travelers who will be able to ride trains to and from O'Hare.

The governor asked Boardman to complete the study this summer. The initial questions he wants answered include how quickly service could be introduced, where Amtrak would accommodate the airport trains at Union Station, where the O'Hare station might be located on airport property and "how we would make rail-air ticketing and baggage connections seamless for passengers."

One of the biggest problems is developing a route to O'Hare from tracks Amtrak uses. Metra's North Central Service to Antioch operates limited weekday-only service from Union Station with stops at the O'Hare Transfer Station, which is on the fringes of the airport near Economy Parking Lot F and the Cell Phone Lot. Metra uses the Wisconsin Central Railroad tracks, which are owned by the Canadian National Railway. One reason Metra has not increased its North Central Service schedule is that CN has refused to expand the commuter railroad's track privileges, officials said.

The Amtrak study that Quinn requested will include discussions with CN/Wisconsin Central and Metra, said John Webber, a spokesman for the Illinois Department of Transportation.

Another potential setback for the rail link is that the Chicago Department of Aviation has at least temporarily shelved plans for a western airline terminal under the city's O'Hare Modernization Program. In addition to providing aircraft gates, the western terminal was envisioned as including facilities for rail connections to Metra and the Blue Line, as well as to a proposed extension of the People Mover airport transit system that would link the western terminal to the main terminal complex.

Despite the hurdles, Amtrak officials are enthusiastic about exploring the proposal, said Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari.

"We know that on several of our routes, downstate people hop off the train at Joliet or Naperville to take taxicabs to O'Hare or Midway Airport," Magliari said.

Noting that the number of airline flights in Illinois outside the Chicago area has decreased and airfares have increased, Magliari said, "If there were a way to get more people downstate connected with air, it would strengthen our already strong ridership."

Amtrak provides more than 150,000 rides each year on its Hiawatha service from Chicago Union Station to General Mitchell International Airport in Milwaukee. Amtrak also shares a station in St. Louis with light-rail trains serving Lambert-St. Louis International Airport.

Trains-to-planes partnerships have become common between rail operators and airlines in Europe and other parts of the world. Such collaborations offer the most efficient and pleasant way to travel on trips of 500 miles or less.

It's begun to slowly catch on in the U.S. For instance, on the Continental Airlines website, travel can be booked from Philadelphia to Lyon, France. The trip begins at Philly's 30th Street rail station, where passengers board an hourlong train to Newark Liberty International Airport. The rest of the trip is via air.

Contact Getting Around at jhilkevitch@tribune.com or c/o the Chicago Tribune, 435 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611. Read recent columns at chicagotribune.com/gettingaround
click on link

the urban politician Feb 21, 2011 3:08 AM

^ I'm fine with it as long as downtown Chicago remains the hub of the midwest hsr system.

If all rails lead to O'Hare, downtown Chicago loses its infrastructure advantages

Wright Concept Feb 23, 2011 2:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLFuego (Post 5168706)
Different service patterns associated with each infrastructure alternative are indeed being identified and scored with respect to operating costs and rider impact (travel time, walk time, transfer time, etc.). However, those are only made more concrete as part of the Draft EIS (next step), not as part of the preliminary scoping (current step). As Beta notes, there's a pretty well-defined process to go through vis-a-vis advancing the technical work in concert with public involvement, but these things are definitely being studied.

Speaking of that process (with Los Angeles dealing with a number of these studies as we speak) there's one alternative that is missing from the list which they need to start thinking about to solve the problem of Clark Junction which is the basis for most of this in the first place.

What happens if you have the Brown Line trains go underground between the Belmont and Southport stations? Would that solve the problem or make matters worse? Could this be done at a far smaller cost than the full tunnel two track tunnel or even the rebuild four track elevated? The point in all this is that in order to get a iron-tight EIR this option needs to be studied and evaluated as early as possible.

the urban politician Feb 23, 2011 3:57 AM

So how does having 'Mayor Rahm' as opposed to 'Mayor Chico' affect Chicago's prospects for mass transit improvements? Thoughts?

ardecila Feb 23, 2011 4:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wright Concept (Post 5175411)
Speaking of that process (with Los Angeles dealing with a number of these studies as we speak) there's one alternative that is missing from the list which they need to start thinking about to solve the problem of Clark Junction which is the basis for most of this in the first place.

What happens if you have the Brown Line trains go underground between the Belmont and Southport stations? Would that solve the problem or make matters worse? Could this be done at a far smaller cost than the full tunnel two track tunnel or even the rebuild four track elevated? The point in all this is that in order to get a iron-tight EIR this option needs to be studied and evaluated as early as possible.

Assuming CTA chooses an elevated alternative, the problem of Clark Junction can be solved easily by building a rail flyover for the northbound Brown Line track.

It's probably cheaper to go up, since the flyover can span over the existing 4 tracks easily without a column in the middle. This introduces a fairly tall visual blight to the neighborhood and a potential noise problem. It's also possible to go down, building a fly-under track at or close to ground level. This would, of course, close off School Street and require the rebuilding of the whole 4-track elevated structure for about 2 blocks.

IIRC, Viva said awhile back that CTA has indeed looked into the Clark Junction issue when they did the Brown Line rehab, and it turned out to be a few hundred million. It might be possible as part of a multi-billion Red/Purple project, but it was just too expensive for the Brown Line project budget, which was only $530 million. Under the Bush administration, that 20% was easily the difference between getting the money and not. Cost-efficiency is slightly less important now under Obama's USDOT.

EDIT: found the quote.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLFuego
My understanding is that, when they were scoping out and initiating the project back in the 90s, they looked at what would be required to add a flyover for the northbound brown line just north of Belmont. Aside from huge land acquisition issues for obvious reasons, the thing could never have passed an Environmental Impact Study because of noise and visual pollution and the sheer number of properties that would have to be acquired and destroyed in the course of staging and constructing it.

Long story short, cost estimates for the Clark Junction flyover were in the $100 million ballpark (!!!) and it was deemed politically unfeasible even if there was a way to get the money for it.

ardecila Feb 23, 2011 5:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 5175489)
So how does having 'Mayor Rahm' as opposed to 'Mayor Chico' affect Chicago's prospects for mass transit improvements? Thoughts?

None of the candidates seemed to think much about transit until they were pressed by various journalists and bloggers, so I wouldn't look forward to a new golden age for the CTA. That said, Rahm was definitely the best choice.

The fact that Chico didn't form an official policy position on transit, even AFTER being pressed, speaks volumes about his commitment to quality transit (or lack thereof).

del Valle also had a decent transit platform, although he was adamantly opposed to major investment downtown. I think this was misguided... all of CTA's recent major projects have been in the neighborhoods, including major rebuilds of the Brown, Green, Pink , and south Red Lines. CTA's current expansion plans are also way out in the neighborhoods... extensions of the Red, Orange, Yellow Lines, the Red/Purple Line, Circle Line, etc. If anything, the downtown area is overdue for transit investment.

His policy statement specifically said "NO Downtown Circulator", which is a bit odd - it's not like anybody else is pushing for a downtown circulator, either. I'm assuming this refers to the dormant Carroll Avenue busway, unless he's opposing a dead 20-year-old light rail plan.

CTA Gray Line Feb 23, 2011 9:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 5175489)

The Gray Line Project Presentation has already been submitted through Rahm's State St. Campaign Office; I will be following up immediately to see if he can attend the first Public Meetings of H I S CDOT's now-in-progress South Lakefront Corridor Transit Study: http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1245638...+PAC_FINAL.pdf

I think his connections in Washington, D.C. will greatly benefit any and all Transit and Transportation Projects in the Chicago Area.

CTA Gray Line Feb 23, 2011 9:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5175573)
None of the candidates seemed to think much about transit until they were pressed by various journalists and bloggers, so I wouldn't look forward to a new golden age for the CTA. That said, Rahm was definitely the best choice.

The fact that Chico didn't form an official policy position on transit, even AFTER being pressed, speaks volumes about his commitment to quality transit (or lack thereof).

del Valle also had a decent transit platform, although he was adamantly opposed to major investment downtown. I think this was misguided... all of CTA's recent major projects have been in the neighborhoods, including major rebuilds of the Brown, Green, Pink , and south Red Lines. CTA's current expansion plans are also way out in the neighborhoods... extensions of the Red, Orange, Yellow Lines, the Red/Purple Line, Circle Line, etc. If anything, the downtown area is overdue for transit investment.

His policy statement specifically said "NO Downtown Circulator", which is a bit odd - it's not like anybody else is pushing for a downtown circulator, either. I'm assuming this refers to the dormant Carroll Avenue busway, unless he's opposing a dead 20-year-old light rail plan.

Ever notice that besides me and my long-time obsession, NOBODY ever mentions improving/providing CTA Rail Transit to the SE Side.

ardecila Feb 24, 2011 1:51 AM

I dunno what you mean by improving... Metra just sank a ton of money into rebuilding all the stations on the South Chicago Branch. Service frequencies are still crappy, but you can't say they haven't invested in the area.

CTA Gray Line Feb 24, 2011 5:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5176707)
I dunno what you mean by improving... Metra just sank a ton of money into rebuilding all the stations on the South Chicago Branch. Service frequencies are still crappy, but you can't say they haven't invested in the area.

I said improving/providing Chicago Transit Authority Rail Transit ('L' service - fare structure interconnected with the rest of the CTA system) - I lived on the Southeast Side for MANY years, and the in-city Metra Electric services DO NOT fit into the Transit Spectrum for MOST of the residents.

Why do you think ALL the BRAND NEW South Chicago Branch Stations (and trains) you mentioned are _ C O M P L E T E L Y _ E M P T Y _ most of the time - EXCEPT for having many riders O N L Y during the am and pm Weekday Rush Hours.

i.e.: If you are going from 71st & Jeffrey to Loyola University on Devon & Sheridan, or to Stroger Hospital on Harrison & Damen - What good does the MED do you??? (are you going to pay TWO separate Transit Fares)

ardecila Feb 24, 2011 6:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 5176949)
i.e.: If you are going from 71st & Jeffrey to Loyola University on Devon & Sheridan, or to Stroger Hospital on Harrison & Damen - What good does the MED do you??? (are you going to pay TWO separate Transit Fares)

How will this situation will be better with a CTA-operated "Gray Line"? There's still no connection between the Metra Electric and the rest of the CTA rail system, and there's no good place to add one.

CTA Gray Line Feb 24, 2011 6:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5177034)
How will this situation will be better with a CTA-operated "Gray Line"? There's still no connection between the Metra Electric and the rest of the CTA rail system, and there's no good place to add one.

Please read "Access and Transfer Information" 3/4 down on the left side of the "Welcome to the Gray Line Website" Home Page: www.Grayline.20m.com

Does this answer your question ardecila; and I also wonder how E V E R Y B O D Y manages to miss, or misinterpret this information - when I have had it posted clearly for many months now???

sammyg Feb 24, 2011 7:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 5177046)
Please read "Access and Transfer Information" 3/4 down on the left side of the "Welcome to the Gray Line Website" Home Page: www.Grayline.20m.com

Does this answer your question ardecila; and I also wonder how E V E R Y B O D Y manages to miss, or misinterpret this information when I have had it posted clearly for many months???

aside from the atrocious use of punctuation and caps, all you're saying is that your hypothetical rider should pay less than someone taking the bus, despite the fact that they're taking the same exact train they've been taking for 40+ years. How does adding another layer of bureaucracy help?

CTA Gray Line Feb 24, 2011 8:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 5177055)
aside from the atrocious use of punctuation and caps, all you're saying is that your hypothetical rider should pay less than someone taking the bus, despite the fact that they're taking the same exact train they've been taking for 40+ years. How does adding another layer of bureaucracy help?

I lived for years at 7761 South Shore Drive, and worked near Loyola U. on Devon Ave. Since using the Metra South Chicago Branch 2 blocks away cost about $2.00 to get Downtown, and then I'd have to pay another about $2.00 CTA fare to get on the Howard 'L' to Rogers Park ($4.00 for the total trip) - I never used Metra.

MANY times I had to wait (in 10 degree weather) sometimes 45 minutes for a Westbound 79th St. bus to the Red Line at State St. (a 30 minute trip) - now I've spent 1 hour and 15 minutes, and I have NOT moved ONE FOOT toward downtown.

Then give the Red Line train about 45 minutes (or more) to get from 79th St. to the Loyola 'L' Station.

So now it's taken me approx. 2 HOURS to get to work, but I only had to pay about $2.00.

With the Gray Line trains coming every 10 minutes I could be downtown at Randolph & Michigan within 40 minutes, and then a 2 short block (FREE) walking transfer to the Red Line Lake Station for a 25 minute 'L' trip to Loyola (instead of STILL WAITING there 45 minutes later on the corner of 79th & South Shore Drive - or being on Bus #3 of a Bus Bunch somewhere along E. 79th St.)

A 1 hour 5 minute work trip would seem better than a 2 hour work trip (for the same $2.00 price) - but I guess that's just me.

jpIllInoIs Feb 24, 2011 1:38 PM

What is Metra's motivation for operating the MED stops? And btw I completely get your argument about converting the MED to CTA rather than extending the Red Line. Solid argument. But tell me why Metra plays ball with this? Does the CTA pay them 100% of operating? We all know that transit operates at a deficit.

Nowhereman1280 Feb 24, 2011 11:23 PM

Maybe you shouldn't live at 7700 south and commute to 6500 North? Just a suggestion...

lawfin Feb 25, 2011 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 5176949)
I said improving/providing Chicago Transit Authority Rail Transit ('L' service - fare structure interconnected with the rest of the CTA system) - I lived on the Southeast Side for MANY years, and the in-city Metra Electric services DO NOT fit into the Transit Spectrum for MOST of the residents.

Why do you think ALL the BRAND NEW South Chicago Branch Stations (and trains) you mentioned are _ C O M P L E T E L Y _ E M P T Y _ most of the time - EXCEPT for having many riders O N L Y during the am and pm Weekday Rush Hours.

You know I am not sure it is such a good idea to come on here and utilize such childish flaming techniques. I mean think about it; you are on a site where you more than likely will find a audience that is probably more sympathetic to your cause than the general population. SSP'r at least in the Chicago forums tend to be highly pro-transit.

So coming on here and writing in this style just makes you look SHRILL & STRIDENT. (See what I mean) It diminishes your argument.

ardecila Feb 25, 2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 (Post 5177926)
Maybe you shouldn't live at 7700 south and commute to 6500 North? Just a suggestion...

Don't be so snarky... One of the advantages of living in a dense city is the ability to move easily from one end of the city to the other without a car.

CTA already provides this hypothetical commuter a fast option in the form of two express buses (the 14 and the 147) with a transfer at Congress.

This only works in rush hours, but the rest of the time, the hypothetical person can still get to his job at Loyola with only one transfer - this time at the 79th St Station on the Red Line. Other good options exist as well.

wrab Feb 25, 2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawfin (Post 5178005)
.....(C)oming on here and writing in this style just makes you look SHRILL & STRIDENT. (See what I mean) It diminishes your argument.

Right - the use of ALL CAPS is like shouting in a library.

manrush Feb 25, 2011 1:39 AM

If the red and purple lines are to be buried, it would be possible to use rolling stock that is both longer and with a wider loading gauge than the El trains.

ardecila Feb 25, 2011 2:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manrush (Post 5178080)
If the red and purple lines are to be buried, it would be possible to use rolling stock that is both longer and with a wider loading gauge than the El trains.

Longer, maybe. Wider is tricker. The State Street Subway, according to Mr. Downtown, was designed to accommodate BMT/IND-sized cars, but I don't know if the North Side Main Line has track spacing wide enough for these, and the platforms at all Red Line stations would need to pull back a few inches.

In a similar vein, though, I was wondering today about the possibility for automating the Blue Line, like Paris' Line 14. It would save a ton of money by cutting out the operators, potentially allowing for higher service frequencies. The Blue Line is isolated from the rest of the network, so it would be easy to change the technology.

The precision of the automated computer would allow the train to berth at exactly the same place every time, so CTA could install platform doors in the Kennedy-median stations and make them much more pleasant for riders.

Nowhereman1280 Feb 25, 2011 3:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5178022)
Don't be so snarky... One of the advantages of living in a dense city is the ability to move easily from one end of the city to the other without a car.

CTA already provides this hypothetical commuter a fast option in the form of two express buses (the 14 and the 147) with a transfer at Congress.

This only works in rush hours, but the rest of the time, the hypothetical person can still get to his job at Loyola with only one transfer - this time at the 79th St Station on the Red Line. Other good options exist as well.

Yes, but the entire reason cities exist in the first place is that people prefer to live as close to their jobs, entertainment, and other services as possible. So living on the far side of a massive city from your job is a terrible idea.

Besides there are really only two directions in Chicago, towards downtown and away from downtown. The N-S commute through downtown is better than most, but its still an incredibly inefficient route.

CTA Gray Line Feb 25, 2011 4:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 (Post 5177926)

When one has been UNemployed for 3 months - one takes what ever effin' job one gets offered - no matter how far away it is!!

CTA Gray Line Feb 25, 2011 5:29 AM

"The hypothetical person can still get to his job at Loyola with only one transfer - this time at the 79th St Station on the Red Line. Other good options exist as well".

To lawfin, wrab, sammyg, etc., etc.... The above statement demonstrates exactly why I am SHRILL & STRIDENT (and use CAPS - like shouting in a Library).

When somebody tells me that it's "OK", and a "good option" for ME (and others like me in the same South Shore neighborhood) to spend an Hour And A Half of time - and still be stuck somewhere on 79th St. - I want to set off a _ P I P E _ B O M B _ in the Library, so shouting isn't too bad by comparison (and yes, you are correct - I am C R A Z Y).

It's like while the rest of the City of Chicago has fine Dom Perignon Champaign in a Waterford Crystal Flute; the Southeast Side has mud in a broken tin cup - but that's "OK", and a "good option" for us because........???

AND if you think MY solution (purchase-of-service) stinks, Rep. Jack Franks has a M U C H better idea; DISSOLVE all the separate Transit Boards, and have just ONE Transit Board presiding over 3 Operating Divisions.

This would also end up with the South Chicago Branch operating as an integrated part of the City Transit System, but it seems much more Draconian to me.

sammyg Feb 25, 2011 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 5177085)
I Since using the Metra South Chicago Branch 2 blocks away cost about $2.00 to get Downtown, and then I'd have to pay another about $2.00 CTA fare to get on the Howard 'L' to Rogers Park ($4.00 for the total trip) - I never used Metra.

So now it's taken me approx. 2 HOURS to get to work, but I only had to pay about $2.00.
A 1 hour 5 minute work trip would seem better than a 2 hour work trip (for the same $2.00 price) - but I guess that's just me.

Quote:

When somebody tells me that it's "OK", and a "good option" for ME (and others like me in the same South Shore neighborhood) to spend an Hour And A Half of tim
You want the CTA to spend millions of dollars because you don't want to spend 2 extra dollars for an 18 mile commute? How many people actually take that commute?

Trying to get some kind of common ticketing system between the CTA and all Metra lines could be something useful, converting one line to save a very small portion of the population a very small amount of money (even working 365 days a year would save you $730) is ridiculous.

Mr Downtown Feb 25, 2011 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manrush (Post 5178080)

I don't see how. The trains through a new subway would both start and end on the existing L.

Via Chicago Feb 25, 2011 4:05 PM

This is why we are rapidly approaching second rate status as a nation, nobody can see anything past 2 year political cycles.

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5291253.story

Solution to South Side rail bottleneck threatened by U.S. cuts

Funding is in jeopardy for construction of a major rail-bridge system to ease at least some of the freight and passenger train congestion in the Chicago region, officials warned Thursday.

The argument against building the Englewood flyover bridges on Chicago's South Side at one of the nation's busiest railroad junctions has nothing to do with the merits of the project.

Instead, the long-planned bridge is among billions of dollars worth of infrastructure improvements that are being threatened by the battle playing out in Congress over the soaring national debt...

Beta_Magellan Feb 25, 2011 6:16 PM

In the Republicans’ defense, they’re working from a complete ignorance of macroeconomics (or hell, even microeconomics), having all paid for their houses in cash or something. Anytime I see a politician talking about the deficit or debt (which are constantly conflated) I have to stifle an angry rant that invariably ends with me denouncing anyone with a law degree, which isn’t fare, but as someone with some experience in both economics and geophysical modeling my tolerance for conservative think tanks and Republican lawmakers is constantly hitting rock-bottom, and then dropping though another layer of the Earth’s mantle.

Although I know CREATE is a pretty forward-thinking program, there have to be other public-private freight railway investments earmarked around the country. I wonder if they’ve been affected in the same way or if there’s any correlation between the partisan makeup of the region and how much was cut. If there were a stronger Republican Party presence in northern Illinois, this might not have happened. And of course, all this comes with the caveat that this was by the House in the hope of forcing a government shutdown, so at this point no one knows how everything will pan out. I cant help but agree with Robert Longworth here: “whatever our representatives in Congress are doing, they aren't earning their pay.”

Still, this has a sick irony for anyone who knows American history. Although I couldn’t find it online, I’ve seen versions of the map below that were used as nineteenth-century Democratic political propaganda about how the Republicans sold our country’s bounteous agrarian future to the greedy railroad industrialists:

http://railroads.unl.edu/documents/j...tr.0239.01.jpg

CTA Gray Line Feb 26, 2011 5:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 5178611)
You want the CTA to spend millions of dollars because you don't want to spend 2 extra dollars for an 18 mile commute? How many people actually take that commute?

Trying to get some kind of common ticketing system between the CTA and all Metra lines could be something useful, converting one line to save a very small portion of the population a very small amount of money (even working 365 days a year would save you $730) is ridiculous.

Have you ever lived in South Shore or South Chicago?

ardecila Feb 26, 2011 6:22 AM

You have a point, but I think the problem is simply that the Southeast Side doesn't have the clout to demand increased Metra service. If South Works, Lake Meadows, and the various Hyde Park projects all go through as planned, I think Metra will magically have a change of heart.

Mr Downtown Feb 26, 2011 4:29 PM

I don't think you make a lot of friends by discussing the equity issue rather than the transportation value of the Gray Line. Anecdotal arguments about the horror of someone having to spend a little extra time or pay two (already heavily discounted) fares to travel from one obscure location to another obscure location 20 miles away aren't very convincing. Yes, as a matter of policy, we should have fare integration between all parts of the RTA system, but so long as Metra is paid for entirely by suburbanites, their interest in in-city service will be limited.

Journeys-to-work from South Shore and South Chicago are served pretty well by express buses, which have the advantage of door-to-door service for many. I don't think it's at all obvious that those patrons, particularly women, would prefer to walk to a rail station and end up east of Michigan Avenue, far from most downtown jobs, just to have a slightly faster ride along the lakefront.

There is an intrinsic appeal to the idea that the IC, which once functioned as the south lakefront's rapid transit line, should again serve that function. So let's study the Gray Line idea as part of the South Lakefront study—but I don't think the result is a foregone conclusion.

Beta_Magellan Feb 26, 2011 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 5179893)
There is an intrinsic appeal to the idea that the IC, which once functioned as the south lakefront's rapid transit line, should again serve that function. So let's study the Gray Line idea as part of the South Lakefront study—but I don't think the result is a foregone conclusion.

Living in this corridor and working northwest of downtown via the Blue Line, I could see a lot of the issues I see solved by just better bus management and some signal priority to help schedule adherence. In Hyde Park at least, bunching’s a major problem at rush hour. The afternoon commute also has major capacity problems, with a lot of buses between 4:00 and 6:30 being crush-loaded and coming at irregular intervals. Although rail would be nice due to increased capacity and better reliability from having an exclusive ROW (if I worked in the main office five days a week I’d definitely get a link-up pass and walk a couple of extra blocks to Millennium Station), I agree—a Gold/Gray Line-style solution isn’t the only option available.

Quote:

Journeys-to-work from South Shore and South Chicago are served pretty well by express buses, which have the advantage of door-to-door service for many. I don't think it's at all obvious that those patrons, particularly women, would prefer to walk to a rail station and end up east of Michigan Avenue, far from most downtown jobs, just to have a slightly faster ride along the lakefront.
South of 47th Street on the South Shore branch, most stations have multiple entrances, so you don’t lose that much accessibility by going to rail. This is purely anecdotal, but from what I’ve seen a lot of downtown trips in this corridor are skewed towards the east. Whenever I take the X28 to Union Station the vast majority of people are gone by the Dearborn stop. And while I find having a direct link to Union Station nice, I only see it really utilized is around holidays.

CTA Gray Line Mar 1, 2011 5:52 AM

CTA traffic simulated on an animated map

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/cta-....html#comments

VivaLFuego Mar 1, 2011 3:50 PM

Fare integration seems like a logical first step to check the relative demand for services, since right now the lack of integration provides a relatively arbitrary impediment to a certain level of use on the ME for those making multi-link trips. With integrated fares, the magnitude of this could be assessed, and a better transit operating plan for the entire corridor could be evaluated. At this point, the ME most closely approximates the #6, with the #14 and #X28 serving more distinct markets.

Part of the challenge is the inherently "commuter" nature of the route --- from 23rd to 47th, nearly 3 miles, there is basically nothing generating any transit trips. Rapid transit routes are at their most effective serving a corridor with lots of short trips interspersed among downtown commute trips, and the ME route doesn't have that. A route dominated by long trips is generally less suitable for a flat fare rapid transit fare structure, and better suited for a commuter-style distance based fare (which can be still be applied at improved headways of course: see WMATA and BART). Regardless, regional fare integration seems to be the most logical and crucial first step before any discussions of new intergovernmental agreements, major union labor rule changes, and so on. There are also some low hanging fruit like rescheduling the route** to improve the perceived level of service, which shouldn't be such a challenge since the ME and SS operate exclusively on the Main Line tracks in this area.

**An obvious pet peeve born of living in Hyde Park for ~17 years is that despite having 2 off-peak trains per hour, they are scheduled within 10 minutes of each other and thus basically provide a 50-minute headway, rather than 30-minutes. This made sense when the focus was on timed transfers between branches, but I'm not convinced there's any sizable demand for these transfers that couldn't be much more effectively met by the CTA bus network.

CTA Gray Line Mar 1, 2011 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLFuego (Post 5182931)
Fare integration seems like a logical first step to check the relative demand for services, since right now the lack of integration provides a relatively arbitrary impediment to a certain level of use on the ME for those making multi-link trips. With integrated fares, the magnitude of this could be assessed, and a better transit operating plan for the entire corridor could be evaluated. At this point, the ME most closely approximates the #6, with the #14 and #X28 serving more distinct markets.

Part of the challenge is the inherently "commuter" nature of the route --- from 23rd to 47th, nearly 3 miles, there is basically nothing generating any transit trips. Rapid transit routes are at their most effective serving a corridor with lots of short trips interspersed among downtown commute trips, and the ME route doesn't have that. A route dominated by long trips is generally less suitable for a flat fare rapid transit fare structure, and better suited for a commuter-style distance based fare (which can be still be applied at improved headways of course: see WMATA and BART). Regardless, regional fare integration seems to be the most logical and crucial first step before any discussions of new intergovernmental agreements, major union labor rule changes, and so on. There are also some low hanging fruit like rescheduling the route** to improve the perceived level of service, which shouldn't be such a challenge since the ME and SS operate exclusively on the Main Line tracks in this area.

**An obvious pet peeve born of living in Hyde Park for ~17 years is that despite having 2 off-peak trains per hour, they are scheduled within 10 minutes of each other and thus basically provide a 50-minute headway, rather than 30-minutes. This made sense when the focus was on timed transfers between branches, but I'm not convinced there's any sizable demand for these transfers that couldn't be much more effectively met by the CTA bus network.

I agree 10,000% - Fare integration would be a very appropriate first step; BUT THAT IS _ N O T _ E V E R _ GOING TO HAPPEN (There will be a Star Trek [TransPorteR] available to everybody right there in your own Living Room - L O N G before there is any kind of UFC).

Since there is N E V E R going to be a UFC (due to Extremely Childish 3rd Grade Inter-Agency C R A P) - I came up with another viable way to utilize the MED as part of CTA.

M II A II R II K Mar 2, 2011 4:17 PM

Chicago to build electric car charging network

25 Feb 2011

By Todd Woody

http://www.grist.org/i/screen/new/grist_logo.gif

Read More: http://www.grist.org/article/chicago...arging-network

Quote:

First Chicago gets Rahm Emanuel, now electric cars. Well, at least an electric car infrastructure. In a move that indicates electric cars won't just be a phenomenon of Greater Portlandia, utility Exelon and the city will roll out 280 charging stations across Chicagoland by year's end. Two stations will even be solar-powered. It's part of a smart grid demonstration project, partially funded by the federal government, to get a jump-start on the potential impact on the electric system if Chicagoans start buying battery-powered vehicles in big numbers.

Windy, snow-swept Chicago doesn't exactly pop to the top of the list as an EV epicenter. But former Mayor Richard M. Daley made greening the second city a priority, and according to a spokesperson for Exelon -- which owns Chicago utility ComEd -- Illinois ranks in the top 10 when it comes to hybrid car ownership. "ComEd is preparing now for what may be a large influx of PHEVs in the market and managing its impact on the grid," Kerry Kelly-Guiliano, the Exelon spokesperson, said in an email, referring to plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. "And they are putting in place the charging infrastructure to demonstrate that Chicago is plug-in ready."

An electric car charging station next to a gas station in Lake Oswego, Ore.

http://www.grist.org/phpThumb/phpThu...klem.jpg&w=307

Pandemonious Mar 2, 2011 5:26 PM

Maybe I am missing something here, but I don't get how it is practical to charge the vehicle at a gas station. Will you just sit at the gas station for a few hours while it charges? Ok, in Chicago or certain other places you could walk somewhere while it charges, but in many areas that isn't a reality.

Onn Mar 2, 2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandemonious (Post 5184368)
Maybe I am missing something here, but I don't get how it is practical to charge the vehicle at a gas station. Will you just sit at the gas station for a few hours while it charges? Ok, in Chicago or certain other places you could walk somewhere while it charges, but in many areas that isn't a reality.

You obviously can't do that. I think there is something called "quick charge", or something to that effect.

CTA Gray Line Mar 4, 2011 8:43 AM

Metra Electrification and Commuter Rail Workshop

Is anyone else on this Board attending this Workshop?

http://www.tflex.org/default.asp

CTA Gray Line Mar 11, 2011 9:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 5187040)
Is anyone else on this Board attending this Workshop?

http://www.tflex.org/default.asp

Is anybody out there??

emathias Mar 11, 2011 9:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 5196320)
Is anybody out there??

It sounds interesting, but I won't have time to do it.

denizen467 Mar 12, 2011 4:34 AM

Looks like the new Metra 35th Street station will be open in a couple weeks, in time for the Sox opener.

denizen467 Mar 12, 2011 4:42 AM

Between having a Dem governor (unlike states with R governors cancelling rail projects) and the Chicago axis in the White House, things really are lined up for IL to become an early leader in (quasi-) high speed rail in the US.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3115845.story

Illinois can vie for $2.4 billion in high-speed rail cash
By Jon Hilkevitch Tribune reporter
4:15 p.m. CST, March 11, 2011

Illinois and other states with high-speed passenger rail programs will be allowed to compete for $2.4 billion in federal funds that Florida turned down when its governor killed a fast-trains project between Orlando and Tampa, the U.S. Department of Transportation announced today.

It will provide the second opportunity for Illinois to pick up federal high-speed rail funds relinquished by other states. In December, Illinois was awarded about $42 million after the governors of Wisconsin and Ohio scuttled the rail programs in those two states. Wisconsin gave up $810 million and Ohio lost $400 million.

Illinois had previously received $1.2 billion in federal grants to upgrade tracks and signals for 110 mph Amtrak service on the Union Pacific Railroad route between Chicago and St. Louis. Amtrak trains currently are limited to 79 mph on the route.

Applications for the funding will be due on April 4, officials said.

Baronvonellis Mar 12, 2011 5:28 PM

The metra northside bridge repair project is going to start back up again this spring. They aren't going to disrupt the schedule this time and are going to keep the space for a potential third track by rebuilding a retaining wall on the west side. It's supposed to be completed in 2019 which is incredible for rebuilding 2.5 miles of track. At that rate it would take 100 years to build a high speed rail to St. Louis. I don't get how they completely rebuild the Dan Ryan in a couple years but it takes a 8 YEARS to replace a couple tiny rail bridges.

Beta_Magellan Mar 12, 2011 7:13 PM

^^^ Source? If they’re keeping the extra space, it’s great news.

I’m not worried about the timescale of the project—rebuilding the bridges is more to benefit trucks than riders, and while I think trucking is definitely underrated by most urbanists (it’s a pretty efficient way to get a lot of goods from one part of an urban area to another), as Aaron Renn noted this really shouldn’t be Metra’s biggest priority. I think the timeline has more to do with the financing structure than anything else.

denizen467 Mar 12, 2011 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 5197943)
... It's supposed to be completed in 2019 which is incredible for rebuilding 2.5 miles of track. At that rate it would take 100 years to build a high speed rail to St. Louis. I don't get how they completely rebuild the Dan Ryan in a couple years but it takes a 8 YEARS to replace a couple tiny rail bridges.

Mind you it's like 25 rail bridges. Still, the timeframe seems ridiculous, unless it's a financial issue like B_M just said.

If it is going to be accomplished with no disruption, does that mean they are effectively building a 3rd track before reconstructing either existing track? If so, that's fantastic.

ardecila Mar 13, 2011 7:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beta_Magellan (Post 5198019)
I think the timeline has more to do with the financing structure than anything else.

No, the timeline is because Metra can't disrupt the train schedule. It's amazing how long construction takes when the users of the line refuse to shoulder any of the burden. Just look at the Second Avenue Subway.

I'm guessing the retaining wall has to do with construction staging. Metra was pretty clear earlier that they don't see the need for a third track. If building a retaining wall allows for a third track, that's just a side effect.

Metra's failure was one of communication, not one of poor engineering. They failed to let passengers know that their service WOULD be adjusted and schedules WOULD be changed. I rode the UP-N line pretty much every day over the summer, and Metra's only announcements were small pieces of printer paper tacked to the walls in stations.

If Metra had launched an all-out media blitz with big colorful signs (how about taking over some of that ad space?), conductor announcements, and flyers, it would have worked much better, and they could have saved a ton of money on re-engineering and project delays.

denizen467 Mar 13, 2011 9:19 AM

^ I'm not sure about that, ardecila; the trains were (reportedly) overly crowded and poorly spaced. They wouldn't cancel a year's work just because pampered passengers needed more easing-in to the new regime. After all, just repeating the experiment this spring will not yield better results without actually changing the construction program, no?

Anyhow, how about a source on this, so we can actually see what the plans are? This link just says "coming soon": http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/a...lprojects.html