SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

LaSalle.St.Station Nov 29, 2014 6:42 AM

Does anyone know if Amtrak still has the air rights to the Union Station train shed between Jackson and Van Buren ?

I'm wondering if that area could be reassigned to building an expanded concourse to free up room for passenger facilities.

ardecila Nov 30, 2014 2:31 AM

No, I believe the air rights were sold to Tishman in 1980 when they built Gateway Center IV.

It wouldn't really help Amtrak anyway; that site sits atop the BNSF tracks, so it would only be helpful for Metra trains. There has been talk of adding south exits to the BNSF platforms, possibly retrofitted into the Post Office, but most commuters are heading to destinations north of Jackson so it would be a detour for many Metra riders. It would streamline transfers to the Blue Line, though, or the new Megabus station at Clinton/Congress.

Mr Downtown Nov 30, 2014 10:20 PM

^Megabus, last I heard, was not expected to use the new bus facility at Union Station. That will just be CTA buses, taxis, and possibly office building shuttles.

ardecila Nov 30, 2014 11:26 PM

IIRC the plan is to relocate Megabus to the Clinton Blue Line station, not the new Union Station bus plaza.

As far as I know Megabus would still function as a curbside operation, but at the Clinton/Congress location it might be possible to reclaim some of the parking space under the viaduct for a modest outdoor waiting facility.

le_brew Dec 1, 2014 7:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6825649)
There has been talk of adding south exits to the BNSF platforms, possibly retrofitted into the Post Office, but most commuters are heading to destinations north of Jackson so it would be a detour for many Metra riders.

i would love to know more about this talk b/c it makes perfect sense and is what i've been advocating for: use at least the north part of the PO to relieve passenger influx @ union sta. do u have any official articles, etc., referencing this?

ardecila Dec 2, 2014 5:32 AM

http://www.unionstationmp.com/wp-con...12-20-2013.pdf

le_brew Dec 2, 2014 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6827802)

though no mention of entry/exit from the PO in this .pdf, it is so logical. those possible new platforms, waiting areas, and food services extend south of van buren, adjacent to the old PO. i'm certain a large number of commuters (headed for the financial district) would appreciate an alternative to the crowded jackson st exit of union sta.
thanks for the link.

the urban politician Dec 2, 2014 9:24 PM

Can we spend another $100 million studying Union Station's master plan, please?

Thanks!

ardecila Dec 3, 2014 1:46 AM

^ The fact that everybody has a different idea for Union Station is exactly the reason the problem should be studied.

This isn't like Washington DC where we have all the right ingredients already - two through tracks, a subway station on the premises, huge soaring concourse, etc. Since we don't have unlimited money, "fixing" Chicago's Union Station will take creativity, and working around numerous constraints.

If you're looking for shovels in the ground, the new Transit Center will start in the spring - it's sleek, attractive, and it will be directly connected to the train platforms using a pedway. It will greatly help commuters and travelers sort through the chaotic web of buses so they can make a connection.

CTA Gray Line Dec 3, 2014 6:29 AM

Local Funds Matching.....

Does anyone know what the current Local Matching Funds percentage is for Federal Transit Grants?

electricron Dec 3, 2014 6:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6829253)
Does anyone know what the current Local Matching Funds percentage is for Federal Transit Grants?

That varies depending upon which federal program the funds are coming from.

wierdaaron Dec 3, 2014 7:40 AM

I think until they figure out what to do with Union Station, they should have a big banner at the entrance that says "YES WE KNOW IT'S BAD", and they can't take it down until they fix it. That way, everyday citizens will share my frustration in knowing that the people in charge are fully aware the problem exists but have thus far been entirely unable to address it. I'm tired of them getting to enjoy the empty hope that someone in charge just hasn't realized it yet, and will fix it as soon as they do.

CTA Gray Line Dec 3, 2014 7:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 6829257)
That varies depending upon which federal program the funds are coming from.

The Red Line Extension funding.

Mr Downtown Dec 3, 2014 3:26 PM

The Red Line Extension isn't funded.

CTA Gray Line Dec 3, 2014 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6829538)
The Red Line Extension isn't funded.

You are correct, it is not funded yet; but CTA is at my last understanding seeking $2.3 Billion Total Capital Cost for it. If we pay 20% that's like $460 Million Local Match; if we were to pay 40%, our share is like $920 Million for 6 route miles (I don't thinks there's that much in the whole Illinois Transit Budget, is there?)

jpIllInoIs Dec 3, 2014 4:51 PM

I cannot wrap my head around why this is a priority for the CTA, let alone CDOT or IDOT.

For CDOT; far better ROI with any of the BRT projects, Central Circulator or Clinton St/CUS Transit.

If they must extend a line why not Green Line west to Midway along 63rd?

CTA Gray Line Dec 3, 2014 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs (Post 6829650)
I cannot wrap my head around why this is a priority for the CTA, let alone CDOT or IDOT.

For CDOT; far better ROI with any of the BRT projects, Central Circulator or Clinton St/CUS Transit.

If they must extend a line why not Green Line west to Midway along 63rd?

Because of POLITICS jp -- POLITICS. Remember "Brad O'Halloran, and the Sinking Ship Bunch", getting away from the suction to avoid being dragged down.

Vlajos Dec 3, 2014 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6829662)
Because of POLITICS jp -- POLITICS. Remember "Brad O'Halloran, and the Sinking Ship Bunch", getting away from the suction to avoid being dragged down.

Definitely politics.

CTA Gray Line Dec 4, 2014 3:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 6829758)
Definitely politics.

I sometimes wonder if poor Alex Clifford has been able to wash the Patented* NE Illinois "Political Stink" off of himself --
or if people still hold their noses way off there in Sunny Cali?

CTA Gray Line Dec 4, 2014 6:19 AM

McCormick Place Green Line opening delayed to early 2015

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...203-story.html

Construction starts on the new DePaul Arena and adjacent Hyatt Hotel, in April or May; bringing thousands of Construction Workers into the already severely congested McCormick Place/MuseumCampus/Prairie District area on a daily basis.

This is 4 or 5 months from RIGHT NOW; are there any solutions out there in the mix??

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...k-marriott.jpg