SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

chrisvfr800i Mar 18, 2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6496750)
Instead of dreaming of ways to extend transit to employment centers, maybe we should not allow employment centers in places with no transit. That's the real scandal of the last half-century: how developers have been allowed to turn farmland, inaccessible except via highways, into office space. But that would require some sort of regional planning, the last thing the suburbs would ever allow.

Stop beating around the bush. Why not forcibly relocate residents to areas nearer to public transit and ban them from owning a vehicle? Your sentiment is as good an argument for NOT having a transit super-agency controlled by Chicago politicians as I've ever seen.

MayorOfChicago Mar 18, 2014 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 6498550)
LSD flyover starting construction in spring and finishing in 2018 is official. http://www.navypierflyover.com

Thanks god. I wish it wasn't going to take 4 years.

Looks like they're going to do the most meaningful part of this first, the northern sections and the part over lakeshore to the west of Lake Point Tower. The portions through Dusable and the river bridge are later. At least those portions are already "open" to a degree, it's just a matter of pushing the trail out on the bridge and over Ogden Slip.

The real messy part now on the trail is getting over Grand and Illinois and squeezing by Lake Point Tower. Hopefully they get get that part wrapped up first.

wierdaaron Mar 18, 2014 6:32 PM

^Yeah I don't even bike and I live on the south side of the river but I'm anxious for this to get done. Having to climb those stairs up the bridge to cross the river and ogden slip is a real pain in the ass, especially in the dark. Unifying the trail from museum campus/grant park all the way to navy pier might actually make navy pier more attractive.

the urban politician Mar 19, 2014 4:59 PM

Will Chicago need more cab medallions and a car service?

Lately I have been curious whether the absolute explosion of the city's core population as well as rising tourism and new hotels will spur the issuance of more taxicab medallions? Also, will Chicago ever get a car service industry the likes of what already exists in New York and Boston? I know that Uber will fill some of the demand, but there is nothing like the 'on the spot' service that cabs and car services can provide.

Thoughts?

ardecila Mar 19, 2014 6:59 PM

The taxicab industry is politically powerful and will fight an expansion in medallions kicking and screaming, just as they are fighting Uber, Lyft, and Hailo.

Livery services would be interesting; among Chicago's upper crust after about 30 or so, it's virtually unheard of to live without a car, even if it's fairly common in my Millennial generation. I think we'd need to see an expansion of neighborhood retail where supermarkets and services are placed within walking distance of more wealthy Chicagoans, but if that happens and car services are established, then many 1%ers might give up their cars.

denizen467 Mar 20, 2014 3:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 6501203)
Also, will Chicago ever get a car service industry the likes of what already exists in New York and Boston? I know that Uber will fill some of the demand, but there is nothing like the 'on the spot' service that cabs and car services can provide.

Could you or someone describe how those existing "car service" businesses are different from limo businesses that Chicago has - are they more on-demand and amenable to short-distance rides? Or are they just premium taxis, that can be hailed if they're empty? I know they are common with many white collar employees in NY but I assumed those were under a preexisting contract between their employer and the car hire business.

ardecila Mar 20, 2014 4:22 AM

Black cars can't be hailed, only ordered. That's pretty much the only difference legally.

In New York, they offer a more luxurious experience. Yes, many employers and organizations have accounts with the car companies to avoid the indignity of having to pay at the end of a ride. The seamlessness and quality of the experience is a big reason that they could help encourage wealthy citizens to go car-free, who would otherwise never set foot in a subway or bus.

Mr Downtown Mar 20, 2014 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6501433)
among Chicago's upper crust after about 30 or so, it's virtually unheard of to live without a car. . . we'd need to see an expansion of neighborhood retail where supermarkets and services are placed within walking distance of more wealthy Chicagoans

It's not the everyday shopping, nor (usually) the journey-to-work. It's the weekend special trips, to visit relatives, do suburban shopping, or get to summer homes. Auto ownership and off-street parking in Chicago is still cheaper—and a lot more convenient—than renting or carsharing for those trips. And if children are involved, it gets impractical pretty fast.

denizen467 Mar 20, 2014 5:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6502251)
Black cars can't be hailed, only ordered. That's pretty much the only difference legally.

In New York, they offer a more luxurious experience. Yes, many employers and organizations have accounts with the car companies to avoid the indignity of having to pay at the end of a ride.

Seems to be pretty much what I always thought -- not sure what TUP meant by "on the spot" regarding car services.

If there's nothing regulatory that prevents New York type "car services" here and Chicago already has limos anyway, then I assume the only real difference is supply/demand? In other words, presumably not enough demand within the city (where taxis are often adequate anyway), and Metra (to a park-n-ride lot etc.) is a superior option for people who live in the 'burbs. Also, New Yorkers are more likely to be working past midnight, past the last commuter train and maybe past safe public transport, compared to Chicagoans.

Mister Uptempo Mar 20, 2014 7:44 AM

Illiana Corridor Achieves Key Financing Milestone

Quote:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 17, 2014
Contacts Guy Tridgell, IDOT 312-793-4199 Jim Pinkerton, INDOT 219-325-7455

Illiana Corridor Achieves Key Financing Milestone

SCHAUMBURG, IL-The Illiana Corridor achieved another important milestone today with the U.S. Department of Transportation declaring the project eligible to apply for a low-cost federal loan that could finance up to a third of the cost of construction. The loan, if approved, would be provided through the Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) at a reduced interest rate, representing a potential savings of as much as 20 percent on the project.

“Today’s announcement will help to ensure that Illinois and Indiana can get the best deal on Illiana Corridor,” said Illinois Transportation Secretary Ann L. Schneider. “Receiving the green light to proceed with an application for TIFIA funding is just more proof that the widespread support for our innovative public-private partnership continues to build.”
The full press release is available here.

the urban politician Mar 20, 2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6502251)

In New York, they offer a more luxurious experience. Yes, many employers and organizations have accounts with the car companies to avoid the indignity of having to pay at the end of a ride. The seamlessness and quality of the experience is a big reason that they could help encourage wealthy citizens to go car-free, who would otherwise never set foot in a subway or bus.

This is not entirely true.

The black cars aren't hailed like a cab, but you can approach one on the street and get a ride. The difference here is, you negotiate the price with the driver. You can also order a ride, but it is not true to say that you cannot get a ride from one of the black cars on the spot.

I lived in New York for 3 years and I can definitely tell you that, especially on busy nights when it is next to impossible to find a taxicab, the black car services are very helpful when you are walking around looking for a ride.

jpIllInoIs Mar 20, 2014 12:47 PM

^ I saw that and was too depressed to post. Why Illinois wants to borrow money to build a massive roadway that will allow our logistics industry to migrate to Indiana is beyond me. AS soon as it is operational you will see companies coming to the state hat in hand for welfare threatening to move to Indiana which will offer their own brand of state welfare.

Meanwhile green fields will be torn up and paved over for schlock vinyl housing and worst of all will be the degradation of the Kankakee River watershed.This makes me ill.

Perklol Mar 20, 2014 1:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 6502306)
past safe public transport

It's 2014! The NYC subway and buses and as safe as ever. Even at 3 AM the subway has a good amount of people in them. :cheers:

Vlajos Mar 20, 2014 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs (Post 6502492)
^ I saw that and was too depressed to post. Why Illinois wants to borrow money to build a massive roadway that will allow our logistics industry to migrate to Indiana is beyond me. AS soon as it is operational you will see companies coming to the state hat in hand for welfare threatening to move to Indiana which will offer their own brand of state welfare.

Meanwhile green fields will be torn up and paved over for schlock vinyl housing and worst of all will be the degradation of the Kankakee River watershed.This makes me ill.

I have a feeling this will not actually be built.

Mr Downtown Mar 20, 2014 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 6502486)
[In New York,] black cars aren't hailed like a cab, but you can approach one on the street and get a ride. The difference here is, you negotiate the price with the driver.

Legally? Isn't that just the black car operating as a gypsy cab?

Aren't a lot of Uber vehicles just black cars picking up fares in their off hours?

emathias Mar 20, 2014 2:35 PM

"transit" usually means "public transit," not cabs and livery, right?

ardecila Mar 20, 2014 2:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 6503718)
I have a feeling this [Illiana] will not actually be built.

Just because we're eligible for TIFIA doesn't mean we get the award. USDOT has already been burned by several exurban toll roads that failed to meet revenue projections. The Illiana doesn't even look good on paper, unless you're CenterPoint or some other logistics company. Now TIFIA is going toward transit projects and even pedestrian projects like our Riverwalk.

The only surefire way we're getting a TIFIA loan is if Obama decides to push for it.

You're absolutely right that Illiana, if built, will be a sprawl trigger like none other. The only way for the road to possibly meet revenue projections is to develop vast cancerous tracts of cheap housing in Wilmington, Beecher, and Peotone. If built as a freeway, it would still be a colossal waste of public funds but at least officials would not feel the ongoing pressure to meet revenue projections through subsidized sprawl.

MayorOfChicago Mar 20, 2014 2:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 6503718)
I have a feeling this will not actually be built.

God I hope not, in its current form it's expensive and useless.

DCCliff Mar 20, 2014 2:59 PM

Exactly, jpi & ardecila. Pray this absurd and destructive boondoggle never happens!!!

Vlajos Mar 20, 2014 3:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6503771)
Just because we're eligible for TIFIA doesn't mean we get the award. USDOT has already been burned by several exurban toll roads that failed to meet revenue projections. The Illiana doesn't even look good on paper, unless you're CenterPoint or some other logistics company. Now TIFIA is going toward transit projects and even pedestrian projects like our Riverwalk.

The only surefire way we're getting a TIFIA loan is if Obama decides to push for it.

You're absolutely right that Illiana, if built, will be a sprawl trigger like none other. The only way for the road to possibly meet revenue projections is to develop vast cancerous tracts of cheap housing in Wilmington, Beecher, and Peotone. If built as a freeway, it would still be a colossal waste of public funds but at least officials would not feel the ongoing pressure to meet revenue projections through subsidized sprawl.

There was some analysis done on how much tolls would have to be to cover the cost. I don't remember where I saw it, but the numbers were stupid high.

I think it is a campaign ploy by Quinn to win south suburban votes. After the election in November (especially if Quinn loses, which I hope he does), my guess is that this proposal will start to go away.