SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

CrestedSaguaro Jan 24, 2023 10:13 PM

Per ABC15, the Metrocenter redevelopment is set to begin immediately! :cheers:

https://www.abc15.com/news/local-new...in-immediately

xymox Jan 24, 2023 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9847887)
Per ABC15, the Metrocenter redevelopment is set to begin immediately! :cheers:

https://www.abc15.com/news/local-new...in-immediately

Good news if true - all the articles I read had that same headline. None of the articles quoted a timeline to break ground. Seems like the big news is that the developer closed (with cash) the deal to buy what was left of the site. A little skeptical that they are starting 'immediately' vs 4-5 years down the road. Isn't this the same situation with Christown Mall? Developer holds the property - has the plans and could start - but hasn't.

combusean Jan 25, 2023 12:54 AM

Christown doesn't have the zoning yet, it's a much more complicated case with a patchwork of first and second land leases.

I have no reason to doubt Metrocenter moving along, it has the zoning, the ownership, and a well-heeled partner with Hines.

Warren Peace Jan 25, 2023 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 9847762)
It's not. Often, the ground floor retail space goes unleased, creating blight. Even if the ground floor space is leased, there are still cars coming and going out of the podium, creating conflicts on the sidewalk and the street. Also, the floors immediately above ground level influence the quality of life on the street below. If those floors have apartments, condominiums, or offices, then you have more people looking out windows, relaxing on balconies, and otherwise seeing what's going on below. That helps with safety. At the same time, variety and activity in the lower floors of a building provide a more interesting and inviting experience than the blank walls of a parking podium.

But if those people on the balcony are smoking weed and pedestrians like my wife and I are accustomed to associating that with criminal behavior or at the very least - stoner culture, we are less likely to continue being pedestrians in that area and less likely to be in that area supporting local businesses.

If the stoners are much higher ... umm, elevated well above the street level, we are oblivious.

ASU Diablo Jan 25, 2023 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xymox (Post 9848024)
Good news if true - all the articles I read had that same headline. None of the articles quoted a timeline to break ground. Seems like the big news is that the developer closed (with cash) the deal to buy what was left of the site. A little skeptical that they are starting 'immediately' vs 4-5 years down the road. Isn't this the same situation with Christown Mall? Developer holds the property - has the plans and could start - but hasn't.

You must've missed the PBJ article :)

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...x-village.html

Quote:

Following the acquisition of the 1.4 million-square-foot mall, the developers said demolition will start "immediately" and be completed in a year. Road infrastructure and other site work is expected to be completed in two years and cost $98 million. The existing Walmart Supercenter and self-storage facility will remain in place. The multifamily component, which is expected to cost $704 million, will start construction in two years and be completed in five to seven years, the developer said.

CrestedSaguaro Jan 25, 2023 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9848458)
You must've missed the PBJ article :)


Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Good news if true - all the articles I read had that same headline. None of the articles quoted a timeline to break ground. Seems like the big news is that the developer closed (with cash) the deal to buy what was left of the site. A little skeptical that they are starting 'immediately' vs 4-5 years down the road. Isn't this the same situation with Christown Mall? Developer holds the property - has the plans and could start - but hasn't.
You must've missed the PBJ article

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...x-village.html

Quote:
Following the acquisition of the 1.4 million-square-foot mall, the developers said demolition will start "immediately" and be completed in a year. Road infrastructure and other site work is expected to be completed in two years and cost $98 million. The existing Walmart Supercenter and self-storage facility will remain in place. The multifamily component, which is expected to cost $704 million, will start construction in two years and be completed in five to seven years, the developer said.

Jeezy Pete. Did they hire the family that's building the Pier? :haha:

YourBuddy Jan 25, 2023 4:13 PM

If you don’t want to smell weed just say that. The rest is just silly. You are talking about a neighborhood with dispensaries, smoke shops, art, graffiti, bars, parties, and college students, and you don’t want to experience stoner culture in a state with legal weed?

exit2lef Jan 25, 2023 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Peace (Post 9848399)
But if those people on the balcony are smoking weed and pedestrians like my wife and I are accustomed to associating that with criminal behavior or at the very least - stoner culture, we are less likely to continue being pedestrians in that area and less likely to be in that area supporting local businesses.

If the stoners are much higher ... umm, elevated well above the street level, we are oblivious.

I don't associate criminality with stoner culture, especially now that the act of getting stoned in one's home is no longer a crime. Regardless, I'd rather smell a little weed than walk through canyons with blank walls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourBuddy (Post 9848477)
If you don’t want to smell weed just say that. The rest is just silly. You are talking about a neighborhood with dispensaries, smoke shops, art, graffiti, bars, parties, and college students, and you don’t want to experience stoner culture in a state with legal weed?

Agreed. This sounds like a complaint lifted from Next Door.

ASU Diablo Jan 25, 2023 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9848472)
Jeezy Pete. Did they hire the family that's building the Pier? :haha:

LOL no kidding. I must admit, it's a large and complex project...but that timeline is way tooo long

xymox Jan 25, 2023 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9848472)
Jeezy Pete. Did they hire the family that's building the Pier? :haha:

No kidding. :). So my 4-5 year guess wasn't too far off.

And yeah, didn't catch the PBJ - such a PITA to read articles there due to all their attempts to get you to pay them for content you can usually get other places for free...

combusean Jan 25, 2023 9:14 PM

4 - 5 years actually sounds short for putting 2,600 units online there. The immediate area can only absorb so much product at once, and that area has to seriously turn around before it's a destination for new housing.

Also, having lived on the third floor in a noisy city ... no thanks, not doing that again. Units above it all will rent better.

ChelseaFC Jan 25, 2023 10:34 PM

Omni in Tempe, Moxy in downtown, Ritz-Carlton in PV, Global Ambassador in Scottsdale among new hotel openings expected in 2023

https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...3/69800645007/

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2...pjpg&auto=webp

xymox Jan 25, 2023 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9848917)
4 - 5 years actually sounds short for putting 2,600 units online there. The immediate area can only absorb so much product at once, and that area has to seriously turn around before it's a destination for new housing.

Also, having lived on the third floor in a noisy city ... no thanks, not doing that again. Units above it all will rent better.

Yeah for sure - there's already a crime/homeless issue in that immediate area. With light rail being end of line there, and this going up - I don't see that improving. Will be really curious to see how they manage that - would be a giant turn off to anyone looking to live there to pay the prices they're likely going to want to ask. I lived in that area recently and witnessed more than a few things that made me realize it was time to move out.

MMDelon Jan 26, 2023 12:03 AM

I swear the city has a ten year plan somewhere that details what they want to do with the surrounding area. I can’t seem to find it but it was pretty detailed. They hope to bring in more businesses around the area and campus of some sort. They want community input on the canal close by and improvements to homes around metrocenter.

TheSpud0 Jan 26, 2023 6:57 PM

does anyone know how many Superbowl banners are in downtown?

LParrish Jan 26, 2023 11:02 PM

AZ Central's article on Metrocenter is a bit more nuanced, they have to do asbestos abatement before demolition can start. Demo to take most of 2023 with first apartments starting construction Q1 2024.

MiEncanto Jan 26, 2023 11:15 PM

PV Mall is going to take a decade start to finish at a minimum. I'm thinking Metrocenter will take even longer. I maintain my cynicism over this project. Good luck, I guess.

Obadno Jan 27, 2023 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiEncanto (Post 9850144)
PV Mall is going to take a decade start to finish at a minimum. I'm thinking Metrocenter will take even longer. I maintain my cynicism over this project. Good luck, I guess.

Sky song is STILL not technically built out and it's been 15 years.

The main part will be built and the'yll fill it in more and more as the market demands that's how all of these projects have worked. All things considering Park Central has moved extremely fast.

ASU Diablo Jan 27, 2023 7:47 PM

Meet Kendra Lee, A Phoenix Community Alliance "City-Shaper"
 
Interesting tidbit pulled from the following article regarding the future rebuild of the substation at 2nd St and Garfield. Wasn't aware of this...nice.

https://dtphx.org/2023/01/18/meet-ke...e-city-shaper/

Quote:

These substations are definitely part of my legacy. When we eventually rebuild our existing substation at Garfield and Second Street [originally built in the early ‘60s], we will build offices and art gallery space along the frontage and give that space back to Roosevelt Row. Every couple of weeks we’re having neighborhood meetings to build an idea of what they want the substation to look like.

Carla Wade, who owns Carly’s, who has had that view of the substation and infrastructure across the street for as long as she’s owned that restaurant was like, “I’m excited for this now.”

combusean Jan 28, 2023 5:36 AM

I've never understood why Downtown has so many damn substations. I can't think of another city I've been to that has so many. I've always figured they were a way for APS to landbank with the right of eminent domain.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.