SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

austlar1 Mar 31, 2020 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AviationGuy (Post 8879653)
I was out around 4:30 this afternoon to pick up some cat food at PetSmart and groceries after that. My route took me along portions of Mopac Expwy and some arterials that are normally jammed at that time of day. To get to my usual PetSmart would have normally taken about 30 minutes at this time of day, but it took 10 minutes at most. Mopac and the other streets were nearly empty. With it being dark and rainy, it just didn't seem real.

So at PetSmart, a guy checking out kept sniffling and rubbing his nose, and then he used the pad to key in his PIN when paying with a debit card. The cashier was watching, as were all of the customers behind him. The cashier chastised him and then wiped down everything he touched. Of course, he may have just had an ordinary cold, but at this point, it's not safe to assume that. I covered my hands in sanitizer three times before I left the place, and then when I got home. Fortunately I was about 10 feet behind the guy.

BTW, most of the cases in Austin have been people in their 20s and 30s. There's been a lot of lack of seriousness among younger people, with the potential result that they may be infecting those who are more likely to become seriously ill or die. My understanding, though, is that even some of the younger people have been very ill and hospitalized. I would especially be concerned if I were a younger person who had had previous serious health problems.

I went to the ATM the other night here in Austin around 9PM. I took several paper towels, a spray bottle of Clorox bleach disinfectant, a small cannister of Clorox Disinfectant wipes, and a small pump bottle of Purell!! I wiped down the ATM screen and buttons, and, since the money dispensed did not seem to be fresh off the printing press, I wiped down each twenty dollar bill from the $200 I withdrew. Came home and washed up some more. I felt like a crazy person, but there you have it. I am 73, and I have not set foot in a store in almost two weeks. I need some cash at home to pay when folks bring me groceries or other items.

SIGSEGV Mar 31, 2020 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8880195)
Bright side to tragedy?

I mentioned this before, but I have in-laws who believe COVID-19 was created by the Chinese government to reduce pension costs.

Pedestrian Mar 31, 2020 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8879967)
That's a good point. Are there good resources for that? Do we know that certain types of health are useful (good cardio for example)? I could google something but maybe there's a real ideal resource.

It seems to be all about your immune system and there could even be hereditary factors (for example, reports that people with type A blood do worse than type O).

Marathon runners have rapidly died so cardio? Maybe but uncertain. Obviously pre-existing heart, lung and metabolic disease (diabetes keeps being mentioned) is very bad. Age being bad is thought to probably be an issue of the prevalence of those conditions plus weakening immune systems with age.

chris08876 Mar 31, 2020 7:57 PM

I've also heard over active immune systems can also be problematic in some cases. For example, immune system attacking healthy cells. Although I'd imagine that being a not so common factor. Natural selection I suppose.

Handro Mar 31, 2020 7:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8880312)
It seems to be all about your immune system and there could even be hereditary factors (for example, reports that people with type A blood do worse than type O).

Marathon runners have rapidly died so cardio? Maybe but uncertain. Obviously pre-existing heart, lung and metabolic disease (diabetes keeps being mentioned) is very bad. Age being bad is thought to probably be an issue of the prevalence of those conditions plus weakening immune systems with age.

Although far from a guarantee, I would assume being a healthy weight along with regular exercise and a good diet would be the least a person could do to fight off ANY disease... comparing the effects of corona between overweight smokers with a fast food addiction and salad loving runners would probably not produce surprising results...

Pedestrian Mar 31, 2020 8:02 PM

Quote:

The Bay Area is drinking 42% more alcohol than usual while sheltering in place
Esther Mobley March 31, 2020 Updated: March 31, 2020

During the first week of sheltering in place, Bay Area residents drank more alcohol than usual — 42% more than usual, in fact, according to data from BACtrack, a San Francisco company that produces smartphone-connected breathalyzer devices . . . .

The BACtrack findings dovetail with reports of increased demand for alcohol delivery: San Francisco online retailer Wine.com reports that its spirits sales have surged 400% since shelter-in-place orders started, for example. Newly relaxed regulations from California’s Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control have made it legal for bars and restaurants to deliver cocktails now, too.

According to its findings, the average BAC (blood alcohol concentration) in the Bay Area on Tuesday, March 17 was 0.045%, which represents a 125% jump from the pre-quarantine Tuesday average of 0.02%. The fact that March 17 was also St. Patrick’s Day could explain the excess drinking — or maybe it was just how people decided to cope with the first full day of sheltering in place. On Sunday, March 22, the average BAC was 0.077%, a 133% climb over the average pre-quarantine Sunday levels of 0.033%, and rather close to the legal limit for driving.

The only day in which Bay Area BAC levels dropped was Friday, March 20, when the average BAC was 0.02%, a 50% decrease from the pre-quarantine Friday level of 0.04%.

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/11/31/...6/5/1280x0.jpg

https://www.sfchronicle.com/wine/art...n-15167591.php

Pedestrian Mar 31, 2020 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8880319)
Although far from a guarantee, I would assume being a healthy weight along with regular exercise and a good diet would be the least a person could do to fight off ANY disease... comparing the effects of corona between overweight smokers with a fast food addiction and salad loving runners would probably not produce surprising results...

Overall, no one can disagree, but on an individual level reports of salad-lovers and fitness freaks succumbing to this disease are pretty common.

chris08876 Mar 31, 2020 8:04 PM

Video Link

360° NYC State of Emergency : Park Ave, 5th Ave, MacDougal St, Bowery (March 30, 2020)

Lear Mar 31, 2020 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8880312)
Obviously pre-existing heart, lung and metabolic disease (diabetes keeps being mentioned) is very bad.

Yep. Thats why some experts here claim that patients are rarely dying "because of" Covid-19, but rather dying "with" Covid-19.
Considering that most severe symptoms come along with a history of other illnesses.

destroycreate Mar 31, 2020 8:08 PM

I have blood type A, which is really depressing. Mentally trying to prepare myself for how horrible this will feel once I get it.

chris08876 Mar 31, 2020 8:24 PM

Just a continuation of the video posted above. Harrowing, yet history at the same time.

Video Link

360° NYC State of Emergency : Chinatown, Little Italy and the Bowery (March 30, 2020)

Handro Mar 31, 2020 8:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8880323)
Overall, no one can disagree, but on an individual level reports of salad-lovers and fitness freaks succumbing to this disease are pretty common.

Common reports and common cases are two different things though. I’ve also read about some otherwise young/fit people in ICU, but the actual stats seem point overwhelmingly to those older or in poor health being hit the hardest. Have you seen otherwise?

The North One Mar 31, 2020 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destroycreate (Post 8880330)
I have blood type A, which is really depressing. Mentally trying to prepare myself for how horrible this will feel once I get it.

What? What does blood type have to do with this?

Yuri Mar 31, 2020 8:56 PM

It seems Brazil is mirroring Italy and Spain exactly , with a three-week delay.

After three days straight with deaths at 22-23 daily, today it registered 42, mere 14 days after the first death was registered in the country on March 17th. Italy registered its first death on Feb 21st and 14 days later, on Mar 6th, there were 49.

São Paulo metro area centered most of cases. Things won't be easy on the next days here in the city. I'm not sure how long denialists will keep insisting people should go back to business as usual. Not themselves: they made car parades to support the president with windows closed and wearing masks (!!!).

iheartthed Mar 31, 2020 8:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8880267)
I mentioned this before, but I have in-laws who believe COVID-19 was created by the Chinese government to reduce pension costs.

I haven't heard that one, lol. But I think the best evidence to refute that the Chinese government created this intentionally is how they are obviously lying about their numbers of covid-19 infections and deaths.

eschaton Mar 31, 2020 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8880405)
What? What does blood type have to do with this?

There's a fair amount of information from China suggesting that if you have Type A blood you're more likely to get COVID-19 - and die from it. The opposite is true for O - it seems to protect you to some degree. No particular relationship for B or AB blood.

The North One Mar 31, 2020 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 8880415)
There's a fair amount of information from China suggesting that if you have Type A blood you're more likely to get COVID-19 - and die from it. The opposite is true for O - it seems to protect you to some degree. No particular relationship for B or AB blood.

Hmm, that's interesting. Myself and most of my family are O-

But isn't most of the population O+? Does the Rh factor make a big difference?

sopas ej Mar 31, 2020 9:23 PM

For now I'm taking it with a grain of salt. More studies need to be done:

Does Your Blood Type Increase Your Risk for Coronavirus?

Link: https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...or-coronavirus

jtown,man Mar 31, 2020 9:24 PM

Well, the thread is about how this is impacting your city, so....

My moms town of Jonesboro Arkansas(population 70,000) just had a large tornado go through the center of town on Saturday. The mall was almost completely destroyed and many businesses were leveled. Corona literally saved lives there.

Check out the live coverage:

https://twitter.com/weatherdak/statu...26290228695040

Pedestrian Mar 31, 2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8880414)
I haven't heard that one, lol. But I think the best evidence to refute that the Chinese government created this intentionally is how they are obviously lying about their numbers of covid-19 infections and deaths.

I think most of the lying they are doing is for domestic reasons. The reputations of the CCP and Xi got hurt very badly early on in this when it was revealed how they suppressed information about it. Since then, state media have been doing everything possible to show them acting heroically and successfully to combat it. I never have thought they were that worried about what the rest of the world thinks. We are forgiving sorts and unlikely to blame the Chinese government for Mother Nature going wild. Even if it were something escaped from a "research lab" (read biowarfare lab) as conspiracy theorists have suggested, it would largely be accepted outside China as an "accident".