SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Construction X (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239462)

esquire Sep 29, 2019 2:19 PM

I'm not particularly concerned if the building has to come down, it wouldn't be a huge loss as far as older buildings go and the site would be appealing for redevelopment. But it is concerning that squatters could enter and cause that much damage.

Bluenote Sep 29, 2019 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg (Post 8701610)
In the old days, this was called “Jewish lightning”

I still call it that. Hopefully it was contained and did not do to much damage as id hate to lose another heritage building. I know some would say tear it down and build some ugly modern pos. But if this goes then it's only a matter of time for Nutty Club to go. Once one falls it has a domino effect.

Bluenote Sep 29, 2019 5:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 8701624)
I'm not particularly concerned if the building has to come down, it wouldn't be a huge loss as far as older buildings go and the site would be appealing for redevelopment. But it is concerning that squatters could enter and cause that much damage.

Redevelopment bahahahaha. You made me laugh. Like the other 10 Parking lots around it have right. Heck even our most prominent corner has a parking lot. And you think this one would get developed. Doubtful. It will just be another gravel lot.

trueviking Sep 29, 2019 6:12 PM

Solid concrete building and heritage protected. Hopefully it’ll be ok.

BAKGUY Sep 29, 2019 6:56 PM

Lightning Strike

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg (Post 8701610)
In the old days, this was called “Jewish lightning”

And in those "OLDEN DAYS were u wearing white sheets?.Or Black face using that darling term? Just an Ordinary Prarie racist boy...U are e Racist Turd :shrug:Or were u mocking other cultures? Ignorant Ass!:hell: In the "OLD DAYS" we sent Jews to ovens, made soap and Lamp shades out of them too. Are u related to Mel Gibson? David Duke? Ann Coulter? Say what u really want to. U know... Maybe the developers will JEW them Down for a good price rebuilding now? U are a S.O.B. and a Neanderthal. Do your knuckles still drag on the ground much? Some primitive people would rather slander certain races and cultures..The year 1379 called..looking for u...Not sure how the Jewish people on the eve of a Religious holiday feel about your sweet words? This year, Rosh Hashanah begins on the evening of Sunday 29 September 2019. I will ensure I get this adorable insulting comment out to some key Jewish members.

BAKGUY Sep 29, 2019 7:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hecate (Post 8701621)
Nowadays it’s just called fire insurance fraud...

Sweet.
is that not a much nicer term? Some bigoted prejudiced knuckle dragging people would rather slander certain races and cultures..Not sure how the Jewish people on the eve of a Religious holiday feel about his or her affectionate sweet words?wags_in_the_peg Said Jewish Lightning. Kind person..

BAKGUY Sep 29, 2019 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertocarlos (Post 8701608)
I was at a pharmaceutical conference at the Westin yesterday. There were no suspicious characters hanging around.

the Westin? I thought we lost the Westin years ago. Where did it reopen? So glad they returned., I like Westin :yes:

blueandgoldguy Sep 29, 2019 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 8701624)

It's disappointing that we won't have another quality hotel downtown. I think we could use another 1 or 2 on top of the development next to True North Square.

robertocarlos Sep 29, 2019 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKGUY (Post 8701843)
the Westin? I thought we lost the Westin years ago. Where did it reopen? So glad they returned., I like Westin :yes:

Opps. Clearly I did not stay there over-night. It's the Fairmont. When did that happen?

I said it was a Pharmaceutical conference. Maybe I had too many samples.

blueandgoldguy Sep 29, 2019 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKGUY (Post 8701829)
And in those "OLDEN DAYS were u wearing white sheets?.Or Black face using that darling term? U are e Racist Turd :shrug:Or were u mocking other cultures? Ignorant Ass!:hell: In the "OLD DAYS" we sent Jews to ovens, made soap and Lamp shades out of them too. Are u related to Mel Gibson? Ann Coulter? Say what u really want to. U know... Maybe the developers will JEW them Down for a good price rebuilding now? U are a S.O.B. and a Neanderthal. Do your knuckles still drag on the ground much? Some primitive people would rather slander certain races and cultures..The year 1379 called..looking for u...Not sure how the Jewish people on the eve of a Religious holiday feel about your sweet words? This year, Rosh Hashanah begins on the evening of Sunday 29 September 2019. I will ensure I get this adorable insulting comment out to some key Jewish members.

Probably a bad attempt at humour by the poster...I hope. Hopefully they don't actually think like this.

BAKGUY Sep 29, 2019 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertocarlos (Post 8701859)
Opps. Clearly I did not stay there over-night. It's the Fairmont. When did that happen?

I said it was a Pharmaceutical conference. Maybe I had too many samples.

Ok, that makes sense. lol. I thought with Hyatt supposed to open nearby ( not sure with the fire last night) and Westin wanting to get back here perhaps I missed something..

Pinus Sep 29, 2019 8:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKGUY (Post 8701829)
And in those "OLDEN DAYS were u wearing white sheets?.Or Black face using that darling term? U are e Racist Turd :shrug:Or were u mocking other cultures? Ignorant Ass!:hell: In the "OLD DAYS" we sent Jews to ovens, made soap and Lamp shades out of them too. Are u related to Mel Gibson? Ann Coulter? Say what u really want to. U know... Maybe the developers will JEW them Down for a good price rebuilding now? U are a S.O.B. and a Neanderthal. Do your knuckles still drag on the ground much? Some primitive people would rather slander certain races and cultures..The year 1379 called..looking for u...Not sure how the Jewish people on the eve of a Religious holiday feel about your sweet words? This year, Rosh Hashanah begins on the evening of Sunday 29 September 2019. I will ensure I get this adorable insulting comment out to some key Jewish members.

I'm part Jewish and I did not find that comment offensive.

BAKGUY Sep 29, 2019 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 8701858)
It's disappointing that we won't have another quality hotel downtown. I think we could use another 1 or 2 on top of the development next to True North Square.

Just My opinion..I agree.. I could see minimum 1 or 2 more near TNS/SHED and one @ Portage & Main where Westin was proposed a few years ago 416 main st.
I could see Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton,Westin. I wonder what happens now with Hyatt plans? Can 138 Portage east be saved or a complete new build and even larger? or worst of all.. scrap it all?
Also, where Restored Fortune block is, Marriott wanted to build a 16 floor hotel so think soon we will see more announcements. I would like 1 south main (could be a catalyst for more development), 1 more in SHED and Portage & Main for sure..416 Main ? Just my wish list

BAKGUY Sep 29, 2019 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinus (Post 8701870)
I'm part Jewish and I did not find that comment offensive.

Good for you. It is a dissgusting comment Vile!

esquire Sep 29, 2019 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote (Post 8701761)
Redevelopment bahahahaha. You made me laugh. Like the other 10 Parking lots around it have right. Heck even our most prominent corner has a parking lot. And you think this one would get developed. Doubtful. It will just be another gravel lot.

Yeah, not like there's any development activity happening around there or anything...

LilZebra Sep 29, 2019 8:36 PM

I'd like to see, I'm ready for something taller (20+ storeys) at 138 Portage Ave.
No need to save this one.

robertocarlos Sep 29, 2019 8:58 PM

CBC reports the building is in danger of collapse. We need more parking so it's not all bad.

Is parking revenue tax free or something?

BAKGUY Sep 29, 2019 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilZebra (Post 8701885)
I'd like to see, I'm ready for something taller (20+ storeys) at 138 Portage Ave.
No need to save this one.

If it is beyond repair, yes. Over 20 would be awesome. Especially so close to BELL MTS Place 24 floor skinny tower. I just wonder ..going 20 floors _ would that be a given here in this location, or nearby? or would the developer than look to a more prominent location like 416 main St or elsewhere than 138 Portage and immediate area?

esquire Sep 29, 2019 9:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertocarlos (Post 8701898)
CBC reports the building is in danger of collapse. We need more parking so it's not all bad.

Is parking revenue tax free or something?

Non accessory parking lots are a no go downtown unless they're grandfathered IIRC

1ajs Sep 29, 2019 11:25 PM

sounds like arson from what has been caught by cctv on the buildings around there