SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Construction X (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239462)

Wpg_Guy Jul 8, 2019 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oftheMoon (Post 8626445)
I think it may have been on the weekend or very recent anyway, but construction fencing and barricades went up around 185 Smith St. Some serious reno must be starting soon. Looking forward seeing that building be transformed.

The entire facade will be redone should be quit transformational.

esquire Jul 8, 2019 3:22 PM

Very exciting stuff. It would be great to see this project trigger some more activity on that block, like for instance on the old legion hall site at the corner of Smith and St. Mary.

borkborkbork Jul 8, 2019 4:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy (Post 8626466)
The entire facade will be redone should be quit transformational.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxiX_NZAXYk/

Wow -- just found this. Looks like they're planning some multi-storey units?

Wpg_Guy Jul 8, 2019 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borkborkbork (Post 8626572)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxiX_NZAXYk/

Wow -- just found this. Looks like they're planning some multi-storey units?

Yep, i think the idea is higher end luxury suites. (Check the first page of this thread for updates.)

CoryB Jul 8, 2019 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny D Oh (Post 8624967)
I agree. What is "student housing" that is not owned by a university? Is that not just affordable housing? Are they going to have specific floors only available to "students?" Are they planning to lease units to the U of W and/or RRC?

Student accommodations could include nothing more than a small private bedroom, ie shared lounge/common space, no kitchen and shared bathrooms.

It is more common now for a modest size one bedroom "loft" style place with a bed and a study area, a private bathroom and a shared lounge/common area that includes a smaller kitchen style area ie no oven and often no fridge and each room has a private mini fridge. Often to make up for the lack for full kitchens there is a dining hall or food court style service in the building.

There is a chance they push it more is a low cost rental and include full kitchens. They could also structure these so preference is given to post-secondary students, perhaps in partnership with U of W, sort of politely suggesting to non-students that this isn't necessarily your first choice residence long term.

wardlow Jul 8, 2019 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 8626469)
Very exciting stuff. It would be great to see this project trigger some more activity on that block, like for instance on the old legion hall site at the corner of Smith and St. Mary.

Something tall (~25 storeys) was being looked at in the vicinity recently, but I don't know where that's at now.

Really glad to see 185 Smith going ahead. I remember the building having a very nice, spacious outdoor patio on the second level, which would be a great amenity for future residents.

LilZebra Jul 8, 2019 11:04 PM

Cell phone tower atop the old Medical Arts bldg.

Wpg_Guy Jul 8, 2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oftheMoon (Post 8626445)
I think it may have been on the weekend or very recent anyway, but construction fencing and barricades went up around 185 Smith St. Some serious reno must be starting soon. Looking forward seeing that building be transformed.

Smith Street Lofts:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-87ctWWsAA_fP-.jpg
https://twitter.com/PegLenny/status/1148201804968136705

cllew Jul 9, 2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilZebra (Post 8627055)
Cell phone tower atop the old Medical Arts bldg.

I'm on holidays and not downtown this week, it an actual tower now? I know that MTS has had antenna's on the building corners for years (Google maps street view shows them in 2007)

LilZebra Jul 9, 2019 12:41 AM

Google Maps Streetview - Medical Arts - October 2018

No, it has antennas now that weren't there before the way they are now. I think you meant that they were placed on the corners of the building. Well, now they're in a cluster in the centre.

Didn't have my cell phone camera to snap a quick picture.

lilwayne Jul 9, 2019 3:45 AM

Earls site will be a tower

Portage place 2 towers

Next 5 years well get about 20 new tower proposals for the core... 300 main true north portage place.. forks residential are game changers..

Spocket Jul 9, 2019 4:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilwayne (Post 8627250)
Earls site will be a tower

Portage place 2 towers

Next 5 years well get about 20 new tower proposals for the core... 300 main true north portage place.. forks residential are game changers..

Sorry, Earl's site has a tower proposal? How did I miss this?

lilwayne Jul 9, 2019 4:21 AM

Once earls relocates to 300 main the owner of that lot plans to tear down that bldg and build a tower.. those are his intentions.. is it official not yet is it in the works behind these scenes yes... there will be q tower at that spot at some point 100 % confirmed by very solid sources..

lilwayne Jul 9, 2019 4:30 AM

Earls won't relocate til 300 main is complete so cpl years from now . By than who knows what state our dt will be in.. but ya in 5 years we could get another 40 plus story portage main

buzzg Jul 9, 2019 4:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilwayne (Post 8627280)
Once earls relocates to 300 main the owner of that lot plans to tear down that bldg and build a tower.. those are his intentions.. is it official not yet is it in the works behind these scenes yes... there will be q tower at that spot at some point 100 % confirmed by very solid sources..

The owner of that lot is Earls.

lilwayne Jul 9, 2019 4:38 AM

Maybe earls wants to sell the land to a developer than i dunno the details

buzzg Jul 9, 2019 4:42 AM

They do not have a buyer or developer in place yet. They've only just begun to start planning the new location, and are expecting it to be likely 3 years away. Hell, the city hasn't even decided what land it wants to reserve for the eventual exit of BRT coming from Union Station yet – there's a chance there could be ROW stipulations on the north part of the Earls-owned land.

CoryB Jul 9, 2019 12:42 PM

With the increased (current) rail setbacks I cannot see the Earls on Main site ever having a tower. It is going to be too narrow a slice of land.

optimusREIM Jul 9, 2019 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoryB (Post 8627426)
With the increased (current) rail setbacks I cannot see the Earls on Main site ever having a tower. It is going to be too narrow a slice of land.

That's too pessimistic. If you own that land and have the right motivation you can totally make it happen.

esquire Jul 9, 2019 2:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoryB (Post 8627426)

There is about 200 ft from Main to the tracks, that's a fair bit of width. Note that the westernmost tracks leading into Union Station have been disused since the current rail underpass was built in 1998... VIA never uses them anymore. So in reality there is nearly 300 ft from Main to the nearest actively used tracks. Seems to me that there is more than enough space for a tower.