SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | The 78 Site (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233449)

Randomguy34 Feb 3, 2019 6:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 8459291)
Does anyone know if they'll be digging out platforms long enough for at least ten-car trains? I would hope so since, if the north Red Line ridership grows the way the CTA thinks it might, they'll probably want to run ten-car trains shortly after finishing the RPM project(s).

On the detail diagram, it says the platforms will be 520 ft long. Given than a CTA car is 48 ft long, a 10-car train will be 480 ft long so well within range for the platform.

ardecila Feb 3, 2019 7:08 PM

Quote:

I understand that, at least with CAT, all machines, at least within a class (like all bulldozers), share the same key. Yes, I mean *all*. LockPickingLawyer talks about it in one of his YouTube videos.

So, that said, you provide the liquor and someone track down a key, and I'll get to work ... ;-)

Plenty of places have stations on inclines - I've seen them in at least three subway systems. I can't speak to the braking system, though. And don't the Sheridan and Loyola stops on the Red Line have at least slight curves to their platforms? And there's that abandoned curved station in the Ike median - former Kostner?

Does anyone know if they'll be digging out platforms long enough for at least ten-car trains? I would hope so since, if the north Red Line ridership grows the way the CTA thinks it might, they'll probably want to run ten-car trains shortly after finishing the RPM project(s).

I think Addison on the Blue Line is the most severely curved CTA platform now that Chicago Brown Line has been rebuilt.

Moving to ten-car trains on the Red Line will be a long, slow process. Even after RPM is finished, CTA will still need to lengthen the platforms on the Dan Ryan stations (some easier than others) and secure additional yard space to increase their Red Line fleet by 25%. That likely means completing the Red Line extension, which includes a big new yard at 130th, or making alternate arrangements for a big new yard somewhere.

Mr Downtown Feb 3, 2019 9:22 PM

Quote:

Plenty of places have stations on inclines - I've seen them in at least three subway systems

But nowadays we don't build new stations unless they comply with ADA. This station will have a grade of 0.8%, which is considered acceptable.

donnie Feb 4, 2019 6:43 PM

Not so fast!

https://chicago.suntimes.com/busines...if-south-loop/

OhioGuy Feb 4, 2019 7:18 PM

The city that used to get big things done seems to be increasingly at risk of becoming bogged down by NIMBYs and their aldermanic enablers.

Natoma Feb 4, 2019 8:06 PM

Quote:

Alex Acevedo, son of former State Rep. Eddie Acevedo, is vying to replace Solis.
Wow, I'm sure this guy's a real straight arrow.

k1052 Feb 4, 2019 8:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioGuy (Post 8460523)
The city that used to get big things done seems to be increasingly at risk of becoming bogged down by NIMBYs and their aldermanic enablers.

You can see it coming.

Barrelfish Feb 4, 2019 8:43 PM

Two possibilities, not mutually exclusive:
  • He is sincerely concerned that Solis was corrupt and railroaded through what he genuinely thinks is a "bad deal"
  • He is also corrupt, and doesn't want this to get off and running before he gets a chance to wet his beak

sentinel Feb 4, 2019 9:23 PM

Quote:

Oh please, this is nothing more than political grandstanding. Nothing will come of it...this guy isn't even in office, and even if he were to be elected, he'll get smacked down pretty quickly, considering the developer, City and State still want to see this project continue. Related isn't stupid, they've already invested millions in purchasing the land, developing the master plan design and committing to a long-term development process that will last decades. One loud wannabe isn't going to derail this project.

Also, this portion from the Sun-Times article in question is pretty important: "Under questioning, Acevedo acknowledged he has no particular information that Solis did anything kinky in promoting the 78, a development so massive it would literally create Chicago’s 78th neighborhood, hence the name.

He’s just assuming that’s the case because of the unfolding City Hall corruption scandal
."

Mr Downtown Feb 4, 2019 10:53 PM

Even more relevant, Related already has its entitlements (the PD). The only thing still subject to any approval is the TIF—and that's well-greased and will be through council before the aldermanic race runoff even occurs.

ardecila Feb 5, 2019 3:02 AM

^ It seems like Lincoln Yards is the lightning rod for all the gentrification and leftist anxieties while The 78 is flying by (relatively) under the radar. Probably because the South Loop is still part of the downtown area in most people's minds, while the North Branch corridor is not.

If Lincoln Yards was not on the table, I have to imagine "progressives" would be screaming about The 78 and clamoring to squeeze more affordable housing out of it.

But yes, the PD is already approved at The 78 so City Council has fewer opportunities to put a halt to it.

chris08876 Feb 5, 2019 5:09 AM

Quote:

Its like a plague. But I see that even Chicago isn't immune from the NIMBY and Bureaucratic BS. Was reading about the 78 site earlier, and its a shame. These delays accomplish nothing. I thought a lot of this bs was something that we only see out in my area, but damn.

The delay over transparency and accountability is just blowing wind. A total show, that accomplishes nothing.

Time to see this development rise in its glory!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 8460693)
Oh please, this is nothing more than political grandstanding.

Pretty much. In the end, all its doing is keeping valuable growth at bay for a while.

JK47 Feb 5, 2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8461066)
If Lincoln Yards was not on the table, I have to imagine "progressives" would be screaming about The 78 and clamoring to squeeze more affordable housing out of it.

This is what happens when you try to push a major development through the City Council in the middle of an election. Particularly when several Alderman are facing challenges regarding their relationships with developers and their efforts at preserving affordable housing options in their wards. Developers could also help themselves here in terms of optics by trying to do more than the bare minimum in terms of on-site affordable housing. Maximizing already large profit margins though seems to matter more than the current political tumult.

Mr Downtown Feb 5, 2019 11:10 PM

TIF sailed through CDC (not that there was ever any doubt).

Hourstrooper Feb 6, 2019 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8462323)
TIF sailed through CDC (not that there was ever any doubt).

excellent news!

Steely Dan Feb 7, 2019 8:41 PM

* moderator note *

off topic amazon discussion moved to the general discussion thread: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...d.php?t=208431

the urban politician Feb 7, 2019 10:18 PM

I'm about 10 times more interested in "The 78" than Lincoln Yards.

Because:

1. Closer to downtown
2. Comes with the Wells-Wentworth Connector
3. New subway station, hence more transit-oriented
4. DPI

Chi-Sky21 Feb 7, 2019 10:24 PM

i like them both, plus with Lincoln Yards we supposedly get more bridges to interconnect the area, an extension of the 606 , more parkland and more water taxi stops!!

BonoboZill4 Feb 8, 2019 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8465316)

Because:

1. Closer to downtown
4. DPI

Yep, and it brings us a crucial step closer to bullying Dearborn Park I and II out of the city. This will enclose them completely, and make it the next logical site for demand in the near city area around 2040.

woodrow Feb 8, 2019 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8465316)

Because:

1. Closer to downtown
4. DPI

I have been thinking the same thing, and with increasing intensity. The only thing I don't like is the name. :)

The 4 items you list - ditto - plus I would add that the overall plan is just better reclamation of industrial space (I know much was also train yards). The more I look at Lincoln Yards the more I think it is flawed. Too much (scale and height) and too little (transit and connections) The 78 has none of that. It is a great extension of the downtown core.