SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | The 78 Site (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233449)

BonoboZill4 Oct 30, 2018 11:44 PM

Woot!

bnk Oct 31, 2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8362780)
The Plan Commission is releasing coded notifications now.... :runaway:

"A proposed planned developMent submitted by Roosevelt/ClArk Partners, LLC., for the property generally located at 101-213 W. Roosevelt Rd and 1200-1558 S Clark Street. The site is currently ZONed DS-3 (Downtown Service); the applicant is proposing to rezone the site to a DX-5 (Downtown Mixed Use), and then to a Waterway Business Residential Planned Development. The proposal will establish four subareas (A, B, C and D) with a maximum of 10,000 dwelling units, allow for the development of several mixed-use buildings, allow for ground floor commercial space, publicly accessible open spaces, riverwalk and accessory parking spaces to be built in multiple phases. The applicant may seek 0.65 in bonus FAR (Floor Area Ratio) per the Neighborhood Opportunity Bonus Program, bringing the total FAR of the project to 5.65 (19686; HQ 2 25th Ward)"

Fixed it for you

LouisVanDerWright Oct 31, 2018 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnk (Post 8363238)
Fixed it for you

Lol I want to require this to the HQ2 thread to cause a tizzy...

Skyguy_7 Oct 31, 2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnk (Post 8363238)
Fixed it for you

Of course I was kidding earlier, but "HQ 2 25th Ward" has zero meaning, so now I definitely think it's a coded message :haha:

maru2501 Oct 31, 2018 1:31 PM

raining approvals because Rahm is ramming stuff through before he leaves, I am sure

Khantilever Oct 31, 2018 10:32 PM

SOM's model of the 78, from Open House Chicago

https://preview.ibb.co/cXqGL0/IMG-4971.jpg

left of center Oct 31, 2018 11:00 PM

Jesus, thats an entire mid-sized city skyline being plopped down into the South Loop.

Yes please!

Randomguy34 Oct 31, 2018 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khantilever (Post 8364393)

I recall the tallest tower in The 78 being 950 ft. This will help give Chicago two distinct peaks in it's skyline, kinda like how NYC has peaks at Midtown and Lower Manhattan

HomrQT Nov 1, 2018 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomguy34 (Post 8364479)
I recall the tallest tower in The 78 being 950 ft. This will help give Chicago two distinct peaks in it's skyline, kinda like how NYC has peaks at Midtown and Lower Manhattan

I've always dreamed that one day Uptown would be our visual Lower Manhattan. And then maybe even further into the future Evanston would become a third little skyscraper cluster.

BonoboZill4 Nov 1, 2018 3:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8364495)
I've always dreamed that one day Uptown would be our visual Lower Manhattan. And then maybe even further into the future Evanston would become a third little skyscraper cluster.

Much more likely that the extension goes south through Bronzeville, Douglas, and to Hyde Park because of the trend of developments and less NIMBYism that way(plus the Michael Reese site and the 78 pulling things south and promoting South side developments for the next several decades)

People forget the 78(when including Ping Tom Park) stretches almost all the way down to Cermak, and the Michael Reese site will go down to 31st!

KWillChicago Nov 1, 2018 8:44 AM

Still dont understand how we can get all that for just $2 billion.

Busy Bee Nov 1, 2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8364661)
Much more likely that the extension goes south through Bronzeville, Douglas, and to Hyde Park because of the trend of developments and less NIMBYism that way(plus the Michael Reese site and the 78 pulling things south and promoting South side developments for the next several decades)

If that Lake Meadows redevelopment ever gets out of the dirt, that will also have a major skyline impact.

gebs Nov 1, 2018 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khantilever (Post 8364393)

I'm surprised you were able to get that shot. I used to work at SOM and photography was strictly prohibited around their models. The same applied when I visited bKL during Open House last year.

... or were you just real sneaky-like?

Natoma Nov 1, 2018 2:34 PM

From what I remember, SOM was fine with people taking pictures during the open house. Gensler wasn't.
However, Gensler's tour was really top notch - structured and very informative. My SOM tour was extremely casual and kind of a mess.

the urban politician Nov 1, 2018 3:10 PM

Ahhh, yet another fantasy.

I'll focus my energy and interest on projects that are actually gonna happen

Khantilever Nov 1, 2018 3:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8364839)
I'm surprised you were able to get that shot. I used to work at SOM and photography was strictly prohibited around their models. The same applied when I visited bKL during Open House last year.

... or were you just real sneaky-like?

More like just oblivious to the rules, if there were any :whistle:

LouisVanDerWright Nov 1, 2018 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8364924)
Ahhh, yet another fantasy.

I'll focus my energy and interest on projects that are actually gonna happen

Lol, ok. You are right, Related, being the total incompetent developers with no track record of, you know, building the largest private developments on earth, is never going to pull this one off!

The DPI is already on board and funded, all this needs is an anchor tenant and the whole thing will get built relatively quickly. Even without an HQ2 type this development will eventually happen particularly if DPI happens.

the urban politician Nov 1, 2018 3:42 PM

^ An "anchor tenant" for, like, 12 buildings? Outside of a HQ2 type situation, I rest my case....

marothisu Nov 1, 2018 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8364964)
^ An "anchor tenant" for, like, 12 buildings? Outside of a HQ2 type situation, I rest my case....

There would have to be many anchor tenants but this thing is completely dependent on a lot of things like attracting businesses there in the first place. I think the only way it gets kicked off in the next decade is if they have enough to fill at least a small handful of buildings or the Discovery Institute legit goes there or Amazon picks HQ2 and this site.

Related does have a pretty good track record I think, and with many companies in the suburbs with many opening offices in the city (or completely moving), I'm curious if they are trying to tap into that. They keep getting permits for the some "sales center." I'd love to be privvy to this info on how it's going trying to sell to various companies

moorhosj Nov 1, 2018 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8364959)
The DPI is already on board and funded, all this needs is an anchor tenant and the whole thing will get built relatively quickly.

I'm not so sure about this. If Pritzker wins, which seems likely, it may get scrapped.

Quote:

“It should have partners in private industry,” rather than just rely on a pending state grant of up to $500 million, Pritzker said. “There is no private support as best as I can tell,” despite several months of promises from Rauner, who told Crain’s that investors are willing to step forward if he is re-elected.

As a matter of practical politics, the DPI plan was the creation of Rauner and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel. Rauner soon could be out of office and Emanuel will retire after his current term ends in April.