SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Quebec, the French Language, and Quebecois Identity (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244997)

lio45 Jul 29, 2022 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9689200)
Which is used in situations where the legislation originally violates the Charter. It's a mechanism within the Constitution for situations where provinces knowingly violate the Charter within the Constitution.

If you are complying with the text of Section 33 of the Charter that allows you to, in certain circumstances, be exempted from the application of other sections of the Charter, you most definitely aren't "violating the Charter".

O-tacular Jul 29, 2022 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 9689217)
If you are complying with the text of Section 33 of the Charter that allows you to, in certain circumstances, be exempted from the application of other sections of the Charter, you most definitely aren't "violating the Charter".

And Alberta can just make up their own laws and it will be legal too right?

lio45 Jul 29, 2022 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-tacular (Post 9689206)
You just can't stand looking in the mirror.

LOL. As pointed out already multiple times, I'm perfectly fine with Alberta availing itself of Section 33 of the Charter. It's there for that.

However, you read it here first, it doesn't do what Danielle Smith is trying to make Albertans believe it does. Spoiler alert for the shitshow :P

lio45 Jul 29, 2022 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-tacular (Post 9689223)
And Alberta can just make up their own laws and it will be legal too right?

Alberta can make their own laws, in all matters of provincial jurisdiction.

See post above.

lio45 Jul 29, 2022 5:11 PM

I'm pretty sure I've used the analogy before but JHikka's position on Section 33 of the Charter is exactly like calling someone who sells their Vancouver primary residence and pockets a few million dollars fully tax-free "a tax cheat".

Using Section 33 isn't "violating the Constitution", not paying tax on capital gains from the sale of one's primary residence isn't "cheating on one's taxes".

Sure, in both cases, some people might disapprove, and strongly wish the laws were written differently; fair enough; but it's not AT ALL the same thing as saying people are violating the laws.

Acajack Jul 29, 2022 5:29 PM

Conclusion from the last couple of pages: even many otherwise smart Canadians don't understand dick about how the Constitution works.

Dengler Avenue Jul 29, 2022 5:38 PM

I was at Eagle Nest Lookout in Bancroft, ON, a predominately anglophone town. I’m pleasantly surprised to see that the captions* are trilingual: English, Algonquin, and French.

Acajack Jul 29, 2022 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 9689217)

Since some people are also still upset (almost 50 years later) about access to English schools in Quebec, it's also worth pointing out that the current rules are those set down by the Supreme Court of Canada in 1984.

The SCOC struck down the original provisions on English school access in Bill 101 (known as the "Quebec clause") and replaced it with what is known as the "Canada clause", i.e. section 23 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Acajack Jul 29, 2022 5:55 PM

Another thing about this thread: I would have bet a million bucks that the discussion would eventually go towards people not being able to believe that Lio could be a nice guy in real life (and likeable to Vancouverites), just because he posts stuff on here that people disagree with.

And it did!

MolsonExport Jul 29, 2022 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harls (Post 9651153)

I made a joke that he probably lost his fucking mind when the Centre Slush-Puppie was named.

Could you imagine his reaction if it was named Slush Puppy Centre?

https://c.tenor.com/E99INAYB8A0AAAAM...es-rheaume.gif

Acajack Jul 29, 2022 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MolsonExport (Post 9689354)
Could you imagine his reaction if it was named Slush Puppy Centre?

https://c.tenor.com/E99INAYB8A0AAAAM...es-rheaume.gif

Gilles Rhéaume!

O-tacular Jul 29, 2022 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9689306)
Another thing about this thread: I would have bet a million bucks that the discussion would eventually go towards people not being able to believe that Lio could be a nice guy in real life (and likeable to Vancouverites), just because he posts stuff on here that people disagree with.

And it did!

He said he was being "discriminated" against. Based on his strong opinions that are counter to those in much of the "ROC", nevermind the most "woke" city of Vancouver it is reasonable to assume he might ruffle a few feathers.

O-tacular Jul 29, 2022 9:46 PM

On the topic of the French language itself I had a few observations of things I've come to realize about my own bilingualism. For the longest time I keep misspelling the word syrup. I constantly first spell it "syrop". I finally realized that what has happened is I have fused the english and french spellings together into a Frankenstein word (Sirop and Syrup) without realizing it. It's almost Acadian Franglais in a way.

Likewise I have also come to realize that my sentence structures are often backwards to standard english ones. I believe this also comes from being bilingual. I don't speak it often (I usually reply in english to my mom when she speaks french), but I do speak with family in Quebec still and also occasionally force myself to speak it with her and my franco Albertan relatives. My grammaire has suffered over the years (I use anglicisms kinda like JT does) but I can actually speak french with a Quebecois accent that fools francophones until I struggle for some vocabulary. Were I to move to Quebec it probably wouldn't take me long to fully integrate. I spent one summer mowing lawns with my cousin in Boucherville and by the time I returned home I thought in french, dreamed in french and even struggled to find english words and had a pseudo accent. Long story short, I find it interesting how my brain appears to retain quite a bit of francophone wiring even though I barely speak the language anymore.

MolsonExport Jul 29, 2022 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9689396)
Gilles Rhéaume!

The one and only. Can't say I miss him.

FrAnKs Jul 30, 2022 1:47 AM

Video Link

lio45 Jul 30, 2022 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9689306)

And it did!

I would have made the exact same bet (and, like you, won it).

Like clockwork.

lio45 Jul 30, 2022 3:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-tacular (Post 9689546)
He said he was being "discriminated" against. Based on his strong opinions that are counter to those in much of the "ROC", nevermind the most "woke" city of Vancouver it is reasonable to assume he might ruffle a few feathers.

I said I was being "discriminated against" in cases such as trying to order coffee at Tim's in my (official) language over there.

(Which is, clearly, pretty serious discrimination, by dleung's whiny Anglo standards of Quebec "oppression". I couldn't live in my language! Imagine that.)

One of my most trusted employees (and primary 2IC) liked to tease me about Quebec (I wasn't even disagreeing with him; Quebec is indeed full of flaws!), but we of course became good friends nonetheless. I am still in touch with a few friends from my time in Vancouver. Except for him, no one cared where I was from (except in a "cool! I'd like to visit someday" sense).

Can't help but laugh at your impression that I have "strong opinions" and that whatever we're discussing here defines who I am in real life.

O-tacular Jul 30, 2022 5:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 9689769)

Can't help but laugh at your impression that I have "strong opinions" and that whatever we're discussing here defines who I am in real life.

You’re a slightly arrogant contrarian who plays devil’s advocate for Donald Trump. Conflict seems like it would come with the territory. Then again most people try to avoid confrontation in person and likely just shake their heads and laugh it off.

You’re right that this forum isn’t a perfect reflection of who we are in real life though. I’d like to know the lighter side of lio. The new father perhaps.

Denscity Jul 30, 2022 5:57 AM

There are almost no French first speakers living in Vancouver surprisingly. I wish there were more actually.
I'd almost say they are outnumbered by tourists from France.

ToxiK Jul 30, 2022 7:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-tacular (Post 9689091)
I wonder what they will say if Danielle Smith becomes Premier of AB, passes her Sovereignty act and declares that Alberta is free to pollute all it wants, won't pay equalization and won't follow any Federal laws? In addition she might throw in some anti Quebec and anti francophone stuff too. Will it be fine then?

Alberta doesn't pay equalization, it pays taxes to the federal government and that government has a program called equalization. To stop paying equalization, Alberta would have to stop paying taxes to Ottawa altogether. But even in Alberts just stopped paying its share of equalization, it would not be that bad. The equalization pot is about 20 billion $ and Alberta pays 15 % of it (as Alberta represent about 15 % of GDP) which means more or less 3 billion $. Québec received about 65 % of equalization which means 2 billion from Alberta. A good amount but not irreplaceable. I would gladly let that amount go it that means Albertans can't complain anymore, but I thing they would prefer pay it and keep complaining...

Well, as anti-Francophones measures, Alberta could close all French universities... wait, what French universities? Ok, they could close all French hospitals... oops, same problem... They could stop giving traffic tickets in French... no, they already don't do that. Calgary could stop translating its municipal election guide in French... no, it is translated in 10 languages but not in French. Hmmm! I suppose Alberta could open work camps for Francophones, but I don't see anything like that happening in Alberta (and if it did, maybe we should stop buying Alberta oil and start buying Saudi Arabia oil instead...).