SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Lincoln Yards (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229869)

Rizzo Dec 1, 2021 1:31 PM

“TRANSPORTATION HUB”

Lol

LouisVanDerWright Dec 1, 2021 3:37 PM

Lincoln "Yards" lol... As if there were ever any yards here and not just various brownfield sites.

Still so annoyed by Sterling Bays totally unimaginative aping of Related with this sites branding.

They will probably build a public suicide tower called "the container" somewhere on the public spaces here as well.

the urban politician Dec 1, 2021 3:42 PM

Yet it's the cheesy, corny stuff that often ends up successful.

Because our society is full of group-think morons

moorhosj1 Dec 1, 2021 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 9465075)
Lincoln "Yards" lol... As if there were ever any yards here and not just various brownfield sites.

Still so annoyed by Sterling Bays totally unimaginative aping of Related with this sites branding.

They will probably build a public suicide tower called "the container" somewhere on the public spaces here as well.

Maybe its the named for the railyard on it's west side or the additional green space the development will add?

BuildThemTaller Dec 1, 2021 6:31 PM

You all know there used to be a steel yard there, right?

I swear, the battles some people decide to pick. Like seeing Don Quixote charge a windmill in the 21st century. I'm glad so many have found a place to get angry over the smallest of things.

Via Chicago Dec 2, 2021 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller (Post 9465276)

I swear, the battles some people decide to pick. Like seeing Don Quixote charge a windmill in the 21st century. I'm glad so many have found a place to get angry over the smallest of things.

its actually ok to make fun of things, esp dumb lame corporate things like copycat tryhard cringey branding

Rizzo Dec 2, 2021 4:57 PM

I like the name Lincoln Yards and it will eventually lend identity to this area once it fills in, but the marketing banners are silly.

Btw, if we want to be technical, then it being a former “steelyard” is a misnomer. Finkl was mill operations, at least that’s what they identity as. Its constraints made feedstock and finished product yardage minimal. Green Iron next door was a scrapyard and processing operation. So “yards” is still close enough. Otherwise another more generic name would’ve been picked.

BuildThemTaller Dec 2, 2021 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 9466356)
its actually ok to make fun of things, esp dumb lame corporate things like copycat tryhard cringey branding

I don't understand what's so cringey about it other than people online will literally make fun of anything. They could have gone for something really bland like Clyborn Commons or Finkl Fields. At least LY has some sense of place. It used to be a steel (or scrapyard) and rolls off the tongue well enough.

west-town-brad Dec 2, 2021 6:37 PM

we could always call it the 79

since 78 is taken

Chi-Sky21 Dec 2, 2021 6:59 PM

Greater Grand Crossing at 69. They are really missing out on some marketing....

r18tdi Dec 2, 2021 7:00 PM

LY should have gone with one of those trendy abbreviations:
North Branch Chicago River => NoBraChiRi

BuildThemTaller Dec 2, 2021 7:47 PM

This just proves there are a creative group of posters on this forum that are capable of coming up with some truly terrible place names.

LouisVanDerWright Dec 3, 2021 12:19 AM

I didn't know that making fun of Sterling Bays utter lack of creativity (I mean they named their company fucking Sterling Bay, sounds like a brand of farm raised cod fillets) would chafe every Chad in Chicago so badly...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller (Post 9465276)

That's the thing though, Finkl never was and is not a steel yard. Finkl steel is manufacturer of die cast steel parts. They are absolutely NOT a steelyard. A steelyard is a place where steel stock is stored out in the open. Almost all of Finkls property was built up with foundry buildings, not open steel yards. Why? Because they weren't a fucking steel yard, they are a die cast foundy.

It's utter bullshit, the entire name sounds like they didn't want to waste $20k on a marketing budget despite the fact that this is a multi billion dollar project. Maybe it's legit to call it Lincoln Yards if they meant to name it after the Sims metal management scrapyard, but I don't think scrapadero rodeo is exactly the vibe they were going for here...

BuildThemTaller Dec 3, 2021 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 9467016)
I didn't know that making fun of Sterling Bays utter lack of creativity (I mean they named their company fucking Sterling Bay, sounds like a brand of farm raised cod fillets) would chafe every Chad in Chicago so badly...

That's the thing though, Finkl never was and is not a steel yard. Finkl steel is manufacturer of die cast steel parts. They are absolutely NOT a steelyard. A steelyard is a place where steel stock is stored out in the open. Almost all of Finkls property was built up with foundry buildings, not open steel yards. Why? Because they weren't a fucking steel yard, they are a die cast foundy.

It's utter bullshit, the entire name sounds like they didn't want to waste $20k on a marketing budget despite the fact that this is a multi billion dollar project. Maybe it's legit to call it Lincoln Yards if they meant to name it after the Sims metal management scrapyard, but I don't think scrapadero rodeo is exactly the vibe they were going for here...

So angry over such small, small things. Hurr durr let's make fun of a company that was probably named after someone's family.

EDIT: What I've learned from the internet is that EVERYTHING, even the smallest things that happened a half decade ago, there is someone that is dying to go on a long screed explaining why it's terrible, awful, and affront to everything they hold dear. Congratulations on finding a place to air a grievance that 3 people in the world share.

left of center Dec 3, 2021 2:40 AM

Its not the best name, but I think its fine. I think "The 78" is a worse name by comparison.

In the end, neither of those names bother me enough to do something about it. It's not like they named it Stench Blossom Gulch or something :haha:

west-town-brad Dec 3, 2021 2:40 PM

real estate agents also love to try and name new neighborhoods - really more of a re-naming thing to get people to pay higher prices for housing...

some fun ones that never really stuck include....

West Bucktown (meaning that area across Western Ave that is not in Bucktown)

West Lincoln Park (meaning not Lincoln Park at all)

Humboldt Heights (sorry still Humboldt Park)

I'm sure there are as many examples as there are real estate agents.

ardecila Dec 3, 2021 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 9467138)
Its not the best name, but I think its fine. I think "The 78" is a worse name by comparison.

In the end, neither of those names bother me enough to do something about it. It's not like they named it Stench Blossom Gulch or something :haha:

Ironically The 78 actually was a railyard and Related is probably the origin of the "xxx Yards" trope, if not Baltimore with Camden Yards.

I wonder if Related had a similar Yards name in play for their South Loop site but Sterling Bay beat them to the punch? "The 78" reeks of the marketing discard pile.

k1052 Dec 3, 2021 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9467426)
Ironically The 78 actually was a railyard and Related is probably the origin of the "xxx Yards" trope, if not Baltimore with Camden Yards.

I wonder if Related had a similar Yards name in play for their South Loop site but Sterling Bay beat them to the punch? "The 78" reeks of the marketing discard pile.

Yes the "I live in The Reserve at The Braden in The 78's historic Interpretive Arts District" or whatever is certainly going to roll off the tongue. Everybody is just going to call it the south loop and forget about the ultra lame placemaking attempt.

moorhosj1 Dec 3, 2021 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west-town-brad (Post 9467355)
real estate agents also love to try and name new neighborhoods - really more of a re-naming thing to get people to pay higher prices for housing...

some fun ones that never really stuck include....

West Bucktown (meaning that area across Western Ave that is not in Bucktown)

West Lincoln Park (meaning not Lincoln Park at all)

Humboldt Heights (sorry still Humboldt Park)

I'm sure there are as many examples as there are real estate agents.

Soon, everyone will be moving to "West, West Loop"

sentinel Dec 3, 2021 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moorhosj1 (Post 9467568)
Soon, everyone will be moving to "West, West Loop"

"East West Loop West"

or

"West Loop^2"