SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 850 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

KWILLSKYLINE Oct 3, 2016 10:59 PM

I'm loving the crown on WP East. Hopefully it lights up bright.

LouisVanDerWright Oct 3, 2016 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freefall (Post 7582200)

Wow, very nice cohesive vibe to this entire development, yet each building is different enough to still be interesting on it's own. Can't wait to see WPE go up. I'm definately getting the Rockafeller vibe not because it looks Deco or anything, but because of the way the buildings function as a unified design. WPS will be the nicest supertall on the River when complete if it lives up to this rendering.

munchymunch Oct 4, 2016 12:23 AM

Here

66-Story Wolf Point Tower To Break Ground With New Look

By David Matthews | September 30, 2016 1:26pm | Updated October 3, 2016 6:01pm

Quote:

RIVER NORTH — The second of three skyscrapers planned for Wolf Point will break ground early next year — and it's got a new look.

Wolf Point East, the second high-rise coming to the $1 billion mega-development at the confluence of the north and south branches the Chicago River near the Merchandise Mart, will rise 66 stories and include 707 luxury apartments when it opens in 2019, one of its developers announced Thursday.

The announcement follows the opening of Wolf Point West, a 46-story apartment tower that opened in January. Construction of the new tower is expected to begin in early 2017.

“We are extremely excited about the opportunity once again build in such a great city,” Mike Stotz, president of the AFL-CIO Investment Trust Corporation, one of the Wolf Point project's developers, said in a statement. "Wolf Point East will not only be another beautiful addition to Chicago’s skyline, but it shows what can be done when labor invests in itself.”

The $360 million Wolf Point Eas
https://assets.dnainfo.com/photo/201...extralarge.png

Notyrview Oct 4, 2016 1:18 AM

Looks really good. I love the site layout.

streetline Oct 4, 2016 2:25 AM

The new renderings look pretty good, and they certainly make for a more cohesive whole with WPW.

I am a bit worried about the seeming lack of retail though. Those big garden plazas by the riverfront seem like they deserve a cafe, a restaurant, a coffee shop, etc. And with 2/3 of the towers (now including the only one with frontage on a thru street) going all residential, they're foregoing opportunities for that kind of thing.

rlw777 Oct 4, 2016 2:29 AM

This iteration of the south tower looks better than the last two.

r18tdi Oct 4, 2016 3:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetline (Post 7582606)
I am a bit worried about the seeming lack of retail though. Those big garden plazas by the riverfront seem like they deserve a cafe, a restaurant, a coffee shop, etc. And with 2/3 of the towers (now including the only one with frontage on a thru street) going all residential, they're foregoing opportunities for that kind of thing.

"The east tower will add 707 units of luxury rentals to Chicago’s downtown, as well as 198 parking spaces, 40,000 sf of amenity space, and 3,000 sf of ground floor retail."
- AFL-CIO Building Investment Trust

Hopefully it's a cafe or white table cloth restaurant and not a dry cleaner and nail salon...

BVictor1 Oct 4, 2016 3:45 AM

Always post the link to the original story.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...ound-next-year

The notch on the east tower seems to equal the roof height of the west tower and the setback on the south tower seems to equal the height of the east tower.

If that setback on the south tower does equal the roof of the east, it appears visually at least the to the top of the structure is more that 200'. The 950' figure may still equate to the underside of the top most occupied floor. That central thrust/blade may be mechanical/ornamental. It will probably be a few years before we have an exact figure, I'm just eyeing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by munchymunch (Post 7582447)
Here

66-Story Wolf Point Tower To Break Ground With New Look

By David Matthews | September 30, 2016 1:26pm | Updated October 3, 2016 6:01pm

munchymunch Oct 4, 2016 4:16 AM

Oh shit my bad I thought I added a link.

Kumdogmillionaire Oct 4, 2016 4:20 AM

The South and East towers may be the sexiest renderings I've ever seen....

I'm aroused

denizen467 Oct 4, 2016 7:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7582670)
If that setback on the south tower does equal the roof of the east, it appears visually at least the to the top of the structure is more that 200'. The 950' figure may still equate to the underside of the top most occupied floor. That central thrust/blade may be mechanical/ornamental. It will probably be a few years before we have an exact figure, I'm just eyeing it.

Eyeballing it the south tower height is easily way past the 4-digit mark.

A bit late for them, but last month I think the Apparel Mart just finished punching out another row of windows in the formerly blank wall...

BVictor1 Oct 4, 2016 8:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 7582792)
Eyeballing it the south tower height is easily way past the 4-digit mark.

A bit late for them, but last month I think the Apparel Mart just finished punching out another row of windows in the formerly blank wall...

Yeah, they did... I always hoped they'd just punch the building down instead.

denizen467 Oct 4, 2016 9:49 AM

^ Time to get on the phone ... "Hey, Heneghan Man!"

Kippis Oct 4, 2016 12:51 PM

Happy to see they got rid of the spire on the center tower; it just looked tacky (i.e. literally tacked on à la Trump Tower) from previous iterations. If I had to guess, the center tower is probably about 1100'+ if you take into account WPE's currently known height of 750'.

This is a very handsome development shaping up here. Very Chicago.

Oh God, I said handsome...

Chi-Sky21 Oct 4, 2016 1:05 PM

Just eyeballing the south tower looks about 30 stories taller than the east. Both look good to me!

i_am_hydrogen Oct 4, 2016 2:10 PM

Check out this dope ass video of Wolf Point West
Video Link

James_Mac Oct 4, 2016 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen (Post 7582946)

Wow, that view down the river towards the lake really is amazing - day and night. I'd kill to live in that penthouse apartment right now.

Chicago Shawn Oct 4, 2016 6:09 PM

^First time I noticed the fitness center is at the top of the building. That must be the best workout view in the city, straight sightlines down two branches of the river (for now).

That really exemplifies one of the bonuses in newer rental towers which now usually have more than one amenity floor. You can rent the cheaper unit with no view sightlines on a low floor, but have access to roof decks and community rooms with views sometimes better than than the highest priced units.

Kumdogmillionaire Oct 4, 2016 8:40 PM

Anyone notice that "Editor" over at ChicagoArchitectureBlog has been ignoring this news ever since we called him out for not only being wrong about it but also being smug about it? The guy is acting like a baby hahahaha

Tom Servo Oct 4, 2016 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen (Post 7582946)
Video Link

I'll never understand who would want to live downtown or in a massive apartment building like this, but man, this building is really nice!

r18tdi Oct 4, 2016 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Servo (Post 7583512)
I'll never understand who would want to live downtown or in a massive apartment building like this, but man, this building is really nice!

Right? There's really no good way to yell "get afff my laawn" from a high-rise.

patrick84 Oct 4, 2016 11:06 PM

Thank your alderman...

From the most recent 42nd Ward newletter:

"The upcoming phase 2 will include a 660' tall building with 700 residential apartment units, amenity retail space and accessory parking at 313 W Wolf Point Plaza."

Further:

"As mentioned above, Phase 2 will have less height, less site coverage and less density than what is allowable under PD 98 and previously approved. The allowed uses have not changed and the development will not deviate from the allowable onsite parking limits, which the Alderman insisted should be some of the lowest in all of downtown Chicago based upon proximity to public transportation and the walkable nature of River North. The following design modifications were negotiated based upon residential concerns raised at the time of initial project approval."

r18tdi Oct 4, 2016 11:10 PM

"The Alderman asked the developers to reconsider the height, density and site coverage based upon ever-increasing traffic in River North and the fact that the Wolf Point site is landlocked."

Sit and spin budday.

Mikemak27 Oct 5, 2016 3:18 AM

New details released via Alderman Reily are explained and shown in a post from the Chicago architecture blog. Wolf Point South appears to be 950 feet still, so no supertall :(

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...f-point-south/

Domer2019 Oct 5, 2016 3:25 AM

At least we have 4 years to lobby for a height increase...

As long as the finished product is optimal I can't complain, but I highly doubt a marginal increase in height or volume would suddenly flood the streets with traffic.

rlw777 Oct 5, 2016 3:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikemak27 (Post 7583873)
New details released via Alderman Reily are explained and shown in a post from the Chicago architecture blog. Wolf Point South appears to be 950 feet still, so no supertall :(

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...f-point-south/

Not necessarily. Depends on what height we are talking about. Sometimes the measured 'height' of the building is the top floor sometimes it's the roof and sometimes it's the top of a parapet or antennae. The diagram especially on the south tower doesn't offer much detail. It's still quite possible that the top of a parapet extends up to supertall range.

Also... BTW Chicago Architecture blog on behalf of the forum. You're Welcome! ... for all of the material you get from this forum. Let us know if you want some of our stale Cheetos.

Tom Servo Oct 5, 2016 5:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer2019 (Post 7583879)
At least we have 4 years to lobby for a height increase...

Lol you guys and your obsession with a building's height. 600 feet, 700 feet... it's all the same: VERY TALL.

A building's height is such an arbitrary thing to obsess over. I've never understood why people on this site put such little emphasis on a building's design and maximum emphasis on a building's height. So strange.

I remember when I was a kid, being seriously bummed out when the Petronas Towers stole our title of WTB. Ever since then, I've cared very little about a building's height. Unless we soon build something taller than 3,000 feet, I'll continue not caring.

BVictor1 Oct 5, 2016 5:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Servo (Post 7583985)
Lol you guys and your obsession with a building's height. 600 feet, 700 feet... it's all the same: VERY TALL.

A building's height is such an arbitrary thing to obsess over. I've never understood why people on this site put such little emphasis on a building's design and maximum emphasis on a building's height. So strange.

I remember when I was a kid, being seriously bummed out when the Petronas Towers stole our title of WTB. Ever since then, I've cared very little about a building's height. Unless we soon build something taller than 3,000 feet, I'll continue not caring.

No, it's not all the same.

Some locations need the vertical reach to make a grand visual impact.

If this was a mid-block project perhaps, but is at the confluence of the branches of the river and is visually important.

People here don't put such little emphasis on design. Where the hell have you been?

Feel free not to care about height, but from many of your responses, you're not necessarily visually observant when it comes to location impact.

With this being at the spot where Franklin/Orleans jog, a better vertical exclamation is warranted.

Tom Servo Oct 5, 2016 5:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7583995)
No, it's not all the same.

Some locations need the vertical reach to make a grand visual impact.

If this was a mid-block project perhaps, but is at the confluence of the branches of the river and is visually important.

People here don't put such little emphasis on design. Where the hell have you been?

Feel free not to care about height, but from many of your responses, you're not necessarily visually observant when it comes to location impact.

With this being at the spot where Franklin/Orleans jog, a better vertical exclamation is warranted.

679 feet won't make a visual impact? Um...

BVictor1 Oct 5, 2016 5:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Servo (Post 7584001)
679 feet won't make a visual impact? Um...

Not like 750' would, no! I look and talk about this stuff all day, every day; I know what I'm talking about.

denizen467 Oct 5, 2016 6:30 AM

Btw, what do you do during the winter?

And has anyone ever thought to run a glass-ceilinged tour boat all months that the river isn't iced over?

BVictor1 Oct 5, 2016 7:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 7584031)
Btw, what do you do during the winter?

And has anyone ever thought to run a glass-ceilinged tour boat all months that the river isn't iced over?

School... Travel... Rest...

UPChicago Oct 5, 2016 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 7583672)
"The Alderman asked the developers to reconsider the height, density and site coverage based upon ever-increasing traffic in River North and the fact that the Wolf Point site is landlocked."

Sit and spin budday.

Does he know what landlocked means?

LouisVanDerWright Oct 5, 2016 2:06 PM

If there was a height reduction I doubt it was just at the bequest of the Alderman. The developers probably realized that condo sales aren't coming back anytime soon with Millenials all making half a mortgage payment a month towards student loans. They also probably realize that it's maybe not the most prudent thing in the world to break ground on a 750' tall apartment tower with max density given the current frothiness of the market. They are entitled to that density, so I doubt they are planning on just throwing it out, hopefully it shows up in the form of a maxed out WPS tower in the early part of next cycle.

This is probably just a case of a developer saying "hey, we don't really want a building that big right now, why don't you take credit it for it?" It's not as if they actually lose entitlements by not using them all now, they can cram extra SF into the big boy on the South parcel.

UPChicago Oct 5, 2016 2:37 PM

Missed this post, have to say this is an improvement! Not stellar or signature but at least solid. I actually perfer the first design for the south tower and the second design for the east tower.

The Best Forumer Oct 5, 2016 3:01 PM

Kinda reminds me of Rockefeller in NYC.

Pilton Oct 5, 2016 4:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7584218)
If there was a height reduction I doubt it was just at the bequest of the Alderman. The developers probably realized that condo sales aren't coming back anytime soon with Millenials all making half a mortgage payment a month towards student loans. They also probably realize that it's maybe not the most prudent thing in the world to break ground on a 750' tall apartment tower with max density given the current frothiness of the market. They are entitled to that density, so I doubt they are planning on just throwing it out, hopefully it shows up in the form of a maxed out WPS tower in the early part of next cycle.

This is probably just a case of a developer saying "hey, we don't really want a building that big right now, why don't you take credit it for it?" It's not as if they actually lose entitlements by not using them all now, they can cram extra SF into the big boy on the South parcel.

Spin. WPE will complement WPW very well. WPE will be another lovely building at the Confluence. And, the density lost by down-sizing WPE can be tacked on WPS when/if it is ever built.

But, the Alderman seems to have realized that access to the WP peninsula is limited and the total density granted for the project might be too much for 3 buildings plus nearly 1,500 parking spaces.

Better to allow WPW and WPE to be built out, determine how serious the traffic problem is and then determine how much more density can safely be added to the peninsula. If WPS doesn't overburden the property, it could still be a supertall.

BrandonJXN Oct 5, 2016 4:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilton (Post 7584361)
Spin. WPE will complement WPW very well. WPE will be another lovely building at the Confluence. And, the density lost by down-sizing WPE can be tacked on WPS when/if it is ever built.

But, the Alderman seems to have realized that access to the WP peninsula is limited and the total density granted for the project might be too much for 3 buildings plus nearly 1,500 parking spaces.

Better to allow WPW and WPE to be built out, determine how serious the traffic problem is and then determine how much more density can safely be added to the peninsula. If WPS doesn't overburden the property, it could still be a supertall.

There's literally one way in and out of Wolf Point so yes there will be traffic.

rlw777 Oct 5, 2016 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandonJXN (Post 7584444)
There's literally one way in and out of Wolf Point so yes there will be traffic.

Technically there are 2 ways if you include Lower N Orleans.

k1052 Oct 5, 2016 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw777 (Post 7584487)
Technically there are 2 ways if you include Lower N Orleans.

And more if you have, you know, feet.

Traffic in the loop and river north sucks at rush and has for a looong time now. The idea that Reily just suddenly realized this is laughable.

ithakas Oct 5, 2016 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1052 (Post 7584517)
And more if you have, you know, feet.

Traffic in the loop and river north sucks at rush and has for a looong time now. The idea that Reily just suddenly realized this is laughable.

People seem to drive more chaotically in River North than the Loop, I noticed while walking through River North last night. It seems people drive into the Loop at least knowing they'll be stuck in gridlock, while people drive into River North from Naperville thinking they can cruise right up to Grand Plaza from the Kennedy. They get frustrated when there's traffic and take out their anger by cutting off some pedestrians on an aggressive turn.

JK47 Oct 5, 2016 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithakas (Post 7584540)
People seem to drive more chaotically in River North than the Loop, I noticed while walking through River North last night. It seems people drive into the Loop at least knowing they'll be stuck in gridlock, while people drive into River North from Naperville thinking they can cruise right up to Grand Plaza from the Kennedy. They get frustrated when there's traffic and take out their anger by cutting off some pedestrians on an aggressive turn.

Most of the worst drivers I've seen, or folks doing the craziest maneuvers, are usually Uber/Lyft drivers. Folks from the suburbs, with limited experience driving in the city, who aren't used to driving in confined spaces while trying to read a map on a phone and locate customers on crowded sidewalks.

JK47 Oct 5, 2016 6:14 PM

Quote:

Because it might sink?

BVictor1 Oct 5, 2016 6:20 PM

Quote:

Or people can walk instead of drive.

There, I've solved the traffic problem you've suggested my be an issue.

I think that the planners who gave the okay in the first place know more about it than the alderman.

r18tdi Oct 5, 2016 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK47 (Post 7584621)
Most of the worst drivers I've seen, or folks doing the craziest maneuvers, are usually Uber/Lyft drivers. Folks from the suburbs, with limited experience driving in the city, who aren't used to driving in confined spaces while trying to read a map on a phone and locate customers on crowded sidewalks.

Not to get too far OT, but Black SUVs with livery plates are by far downtown's most dangerous drivers in my experience.

Tom Servo Oct 5, 2016 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 7584633)
Not to get too far OT, but Black SUVs with livery plates are by far downtown's most dangerous drivers in my experience.

Those guys are just taxi drivers in Uber Black cars. And yes, horrible.

In general, Chicago has some very bad and dangerous drivers; they're usually in cars with out of state plates. Also, never trust a car without a city sticker.

ardecila Oct 5, 2016 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7584632)
Or people can walk instead of drive.

There, I've solved the traffic problem you've suggested my be an issue.

I think that the planners who gave the okay in the first place know more about it than the alderman.

What planners? All Chicago has are people with a rubber stamp. If the mayor, the alderman, and a powerful developer want something, it'll get approved. Usually you only need two of the three.

The development team paid for a traffic study and hired KLOA to do it. The study recommended new signals on Kinzie and some other modest changes in the neighborhood, which are being implemented. Of course, KLOA aren't urban designers. They just tell you how to get the streets moving at a certain level of efficiency given a certain level of traffic, they wouldn't recommend visionary things like a new street or new river crossings.

As for the height reduction - not sure there even was a reduction, since the plans were kept intentionally vague for so long. Architecturally, these buildings are so slender that they will have pretty much the same visual impact as a supertall. I'm very happy with the appearance of these towers (even if the floorplans are crazy inefficient). The stupid dick-measuring contest of numerical height doesn't really interest me. This forum only encourages that kind of lizard-brain thinking by separating supertalls into a whole other forum....

BVictor1 Oct 5, 2016 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7584715)
What planners? All Chicago has are people with a rubber stamp. If the mayor, the alderman, and a powerful developer want something, it'll get approved. Usually you only need two of the three.

The development team paid for a traffic study and hired KLOA to do it. The study recommended new signals on Kinzie and some other modest changes in the neighborhood, which are being implemented. Of course, KLOA aren't urban designers. They just tell you how to get the streets moving at a certain level of efficiency given a certain level of traffic, they wouldn't recommend visionary things like a new street or new river crossings.

As for the height reduction - not sure there even was a reduction, since the plans were kept intentionally vague for so long. Architecturally, these buildings are so slender that they will have pretty much the same visual impact as a supertall. I'm very happy with the appearance of these towers (even if the floorplans are crazy inefficient). The stupid dick-measuring contest of numerical height doesn't really interest me. This forum only encourages that kind of lizard-brain thinking by separating supertalls into a whole other forum....

I'm assessing from all angles, but thanks for you less than insightful input.

the urban politician Oct 5, 2016 8:55 PM

^ Damn Ardecila, you've taken a strong anti-height turn these days. Did you recently have a nightmare about falling out of a tall building or something? ;)

Anyhow, I agree but I will say that this site deserves something bold and prominent, and that should hopefully be delivered by the south tower

aaron38 Oct 5, 2016 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 7583672)
and the fact that the Wolf Point site is landlocked."

Landlocked? It's on the river!