SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 850 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

bhawk66 Dec 21, 2022 9:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pimp (Post 9821938)
Can we please move on from the dumb letter spacing discussion?

Passifers available in the lobby.

dropdeaded209 Dec 23, 2022 4:21 PM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6f747056_b.jpg

taken by TheAmericanSkyline on IG.

twister244 Dec 23, 2022 5:09 PM

That's a really cool angle! Love how the Sears is in the background and how the "blue boxes" are angled and clustered.

Chi-Sky21 Dec 24, 2022 12:57 AM

At the base of these i like them but in this pic, what a bunch of turds bowing down to Sears.

Toasty Joe Dec 24, 2022 2:47 AM

very disappointing

rivernorthlurker Dec 24, 2022 3:04 AM

Very Hudson Yards vibes.

Blahshead Dec 26, 2022 3:30 PM

I like this building, but it took me a second to pick it out from dropdeaded's image above. Chi-Sky really couldn't have put it better -- these boxes are nothing compared to Sears.

SIGSEGV Dec 26, 2022 5:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blahshead (Post 9824486)
I like this building, but it took me a second to pick it out from dropdeaded's image above. Chi-Sky really couldn't have put it better -- these boxes are nothing compared to Sears.

It's not exactly a fair comparison. Very few towers worldwide are in the same class as Sears.

rivernorthlurker Dec 26, 2022 7:41 PM

I'm looking forward to when it's completely finished and this thread is closed so we can focus on the future instead of repeatedly bashing this lol :shrug:

I think its presence on the river will be excellent and the tiered lobby will be very impressive not even considering the 10/10 views. I'd rather have a functional and active building with subpar skyline appeal like this than a pretty one that fails at street level.

andydie Dec 26, 2022 11:48 PM

Of these 5 newer Skyscrapers i actually like River Point visually the most. Of the 3 Wolf Point Towers i think Wolf Point East Tower turned out the best

Quote:

Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 (Post 9823435)

chicubs111 Dec 27, 2022 2:59 AM

the reason the disappointment is so warranted for this building is that the site is arguably the most significant site in the city...you will not find another site that can compare in my opinion ... the whole wolf point development could of been a game changer with an iconic building

emailspyro@gmail.com Dec 27, 2022 6:39 PM

I noticed today the kerning issue has been corrected. Big improvement.
In a way, the flatness of the building needed something to add interest. Looks fine now

takascar Dec 28, 2022 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 9824769)
the reason the disappointment is so warranted for this building is that the site is arguably the most significant site in the city...you will not find another site that can compare in my opinion ... the whole wolf point development could of been a game changer with an iconic building

You could have made that happen by 1) Making a billion dollars on another business and 2) Offering to invest in the iconic building knowing that you would not get the return back in your lifetime.

Like I have always said, if you want to build something like that, go ahead - raise the funds and have at it. In the real world it is about making a buck in a reasonable return on investment time. Builders are not artists or charities.

Sorry, that's the way it is.

This is a handsome building and more than good enough. Now, I would probably be upset if it ended up like that brutalist junk to its north that its now helping hide ..... :)

r18tdi Dec 30, 2022 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takascar (Post 9825954)
Like I have always said, if you want to build something like that, go ahead - raise the funds and have at it.

This line of reasoning is not helpful (nor is it original tbh), and does a disservice to meaningful discourse regarding the built environment. "Well you're welcome to build your own skyscraper/airport terminal/Solider Field renovation/etc. Otherwise shut up!" C'mon now.

As if designers and their clients are above all accountability for their poor decisions because "that's the way it is." Architecture and aesthetics matter, to everyone, on both a personal and societal level.

This is exactly the type of project that should face repeated, public critical scrutiny. It's times like this I miss Blair Kamin.

left of center Dec 30, 2022 7:27 PM

^100%. We all share this city and the general public bears the joy or burden of looking at these buildings on a daily basis. The public deserves to have architecture that is visually pleasing and inspirational. Buildings are privately owned but still can be a public good. This is why concepts like historical preservation exists.

People have the right to not like something, without having to have a billion dollars of financing ready to go.

PittsburghPA Dec 30, 2022 7:47 PM

I get the gripes with the height given the prominence of the location but I think the overall quality is legit. Glass looks good from all angles and it is imposingly large in person. I don't quite get how WPE's design and finish gets love but this doesn't.

I too would have loved something 1000'+ but I think in person it turned out great.

takascar Dec 30, 2022 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 9827288)
^100%. We all share this city and the general public bears the joy or burden of looking at these buildings on a daily basis. The public deserves to have architecture that is visually pleasing and inspirational. Buildings are privately owned but still can be a public good. This is why concepts like historical preservation exists.

People have the right to not like something, without having to have a billion dollars of financing ready to go.

The public has no right to decide architectural design of a private building on private property. The design of a building is expression - protected by the 1st Amendment and the people (i.e "rabble") have no right to impose a viewpoint on an artist (architect, builder) via government edict.

I would love to be able to make Mart Center go away or to be able to somehow eliminate brutalist architecture (ala 55 W. Wacker), but I don't own the property, so I can't make someone do that.

Having and expressing an opinion is just fine, but no, the public has no right to demand that private parties spend way more money on something than they willl make back in a reasonable time, nor impose an artistic direction on a private party.

Briguy Dec 30, 2022 10:59 PM

For me the taper at the base kills the verticality of it and makes it look shorter than 850 should. It looks tall from the east view, probably it’s best angle. If they had just carried the top office floor up like, two more stories and created some more mass at the top a la 30 rock, this could have been really great.

Toasty Joe Dec 31, 2022 5:04 AM

Aside from the height and lack of top floor expression, the sheer glass wall looking down the river canyon leaves much to be desired.

Chi-Sky21 Dec 31, 2022 7:47 PM

Uh oh somebody is citing our amendment rights! So glad we can all die at the hands of those. None the less, really though, how much does it really cost them to add maybe 2 floors of glass on the top of that, nothing even in it, just steel bracing and glass. Would have made a world of difference.