SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

somethingfast Oct 14, 2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 7952076)
One problem. somethingfast stated "Name me one top 15 metro that doesn't have that besides Phoenix." So if the reference is the metro area and you check Wikipedia for MSA's then he may have a case... I dunno, didn't research it, don't care.

Exactly, not that I care to defend myself. Further caveats (and further support to my argument)...

San Jose is an extension of SF Bay Area...plenty of tall towers there.
Washington DC area has hard limit on height in the district itself (half the height of Washington Monument which is 555 feet). That said, Tyson's could be seeing a 600+ go up soon...20 miles from District.
San Diego is limited to 499 feet due to FAA restrictions....PLENTY of near-500 footers there...we have exactly TWO 400 footers in the entire state.
Austin, San Antonio and Columbus are NOT in the top 15 metros BUT they all have 600+ footers and I think Austin is working on a 700+ tower...so just furthers my point... we are PATHETIC considering our 13th MSA ranking and TWO 400+ footers. Sad. Lame. Stupid. We should be ashamed. I don't give a good gosh-dang about density in light of that. Build a fucking tower already...

Ballister Oct 15, 2017 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7952166)
Thank you for understanding.

I cannot have optimism here, and any attempts at uplifted spirits must be immediately crushed with the boot of reality.

Oh, I do understand completely. The negative nelly Talton's of this world and their ilk who consider themselves righteous experts on a city they no longer live in prove time and time again that their opinions are based on past resentments on a city that let them down rather than whats actually happening here on the ground in actual time.

combusean Oct 15, 2017 12:08 AM

^ I was last in downtown Phoenix in May, btw. And Phoenix didn't let me down, the economy melted down and I left to find work.

It's also interesting to have my expertise questioned by somebody who's made 1/200th the posts I have and created their account 13 years after I did...

Either way to take a joke next time. Judging by the content of your post, it would be infinitely better for your mental health.

biggus diggus Oct 15, 2017 2:21 AM

Some of you confuse reality with negativity. Just because someone tells you the truth doesn't mean they are pessimistic.

fawd Oct 15, 2017 2:41 AM

How about that weather forecast?!?!

Highs in the mid-80s and lows touching 60 next weekend... can't come soon enough!

azliam Oct 15, 2017 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7952692)
Some of you confuse reality with negativity. Just because someone tells you the truth doesn't mean they are pessimistic.

You mean your subjective truth. BTW, I quite enjoy my Kia.

fawd Oct 15, 2017 2:48 AM

Do you like skyscrapers, Jimmy?

Skyscrapers are nice...

https://68.media.tumblr.com/fa9fa690...n7z6o1_250.gif

Sepstein Oct 15, 2017 4:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 7952525)
Exactly, not that I care to defend myself. Further caveats (and further support to my argument)...

San Jose is an extension of SF Bay Area...plenty of tall towers there.
Washington DC area has hard limit on height in the district itself (half the height of Washington Monument which is 555 feet). That said, Tyson's could be seeing a 600+ go up soon...20 miles from District.
San Diego is limited to 499 feet due to FAA restrictions....PLENTY of near-500 footers there...we have exactly TWO 400 footers in the entire state.
Austin, San Antonio and Columbus are NOT in the top 15 metros BUT they all have 600+ footers and I think Austin is working on a 700+ tower...so just furthers my point... we are PATHETIC considering our 13th MSA ranking and TWO 400+ footers. Sad. Lame. Stupid. We should be ashamed. I don't give a good gosh-dang about density in light of that. Build a fucking tower already...

Yes more density in the long term is a obv goal! But God I'd settle for two Super-talls in the middle of downtown. Call me a sucker but i would love to have a cheesy panaramic photo of downtown like all major cites have! Are skyline isnt even on par with OKC or Austin, Tx UGh

KEVINphx Oct 15, 2017 3:04 PM

after seeing a REAL beautiful city like Paris, I could really give two shits if we EVER have towers taller than what we already have if we could ever have 1/3 the density, transit options, pedestrian activity and orientation and urban beautification as a city like that, then I'd say we'd have a pretty awesome city to be proud of

TakeFive Oct 16, 2017 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7952166)
I cannot have optimism here, and any attempts at uplifted spirits must be immediately crushed with the boot of reality.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 7952525)

Fair enough and it would be very cool to have a nice new gleaming tower or two that stretched up there. But every place has a story to tell and more importantly it's history and legacy.

Look at Chicago; Can't help but be impressed. It's such an awful place (lol)... Consider that the state is now one downgrade away from junk. Out of 10 investment grades they're clinging to that tenth spot. Phoenix is at the other end, at the top. Chicago isn't in much better shape. Both city and state are losing boatloads of people but the net is at best a tiny gain. But bless his heart, Rahm keeps making deals for new downtown HQ's most of which are suburb to city. The number of skyscrapers built in the last cycle plus what's going on currently is simply amazing.

Austin is in Texas and it's one of the more unique success stories. It's been atop of most 'Best of' list for a decade plus... it is in Texas. :) All you can do is to tip your hat.

Phoenix has the same problem Denver has (so it's not all bad). It goes to the point combusean is making. Neither city has many Fortune 500 companies. Denver is losing them faster than gaining them and two more will soon be gone leaving Denver with I think 7 which is less than Phoenix. They're not leaving town just being bought out. This is waaay more important than you might guess.

Denver has one lonely new skycraper and it's the first one in over 30 years. It is 40 stories and will be a little over 600'. Built by Hines, it's actually a scaled down version of a much bigger/taller twin tower project Hines built in Calgary.

Consider Ohio. While the state has had its trying times it has a long, deep history. It still has 25 Fortune 500 companies and interestingly Ohio is a hotbed for restaurant and retail companies with over 60 company HQ's.

Most everything else involves a coastal city. Seattle has always been uniquely blessed with some of the best homegrown companies with Amazon being the current star. Amazon is trying to accumulate 10 million Sq Ft by 2019. Think about how many towers that would take. Somebody do the math. Miami is home to $billions in foreign investment especially from So America. Not that much happening in Charlotte but Atlanta is getting busy but mostly mid-rises afaik.

Don't forget Des Moines IA when it comes to new tallest. Proposals for 20-30 story dandies. Ahem, tell me when the shovels turn dirt; so far 12 stories is is the tallest under construction. And so it goes...

TakeFive Oct 16, 2017 1:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 7952712)
How about that weather forecast?!?!

Highs in the mid-80s and lows touching 60 next weekend... can't come soon enough!

Awesome; I hadn't caught that yet.

There's two targets I look for as summer wanes. The first came right on schedule around September 20 and that's seeing the overnight lows get down to the lower 70's to upper 60's. That's when I love my mornings. Then when Indian Summer starts to get a little old, the 2nd target I hope for is when the highs drop under 90.

CrestedSaguaro Oct 16, 2017 3:38 PM

My whole argument on this was that it's ridiculous to think we will never go taller than Chase. And I did say it would be quite a few years away, not tomorrow. This implies:

A. The core of Phoenix will become much, much denser with limited lots available to build 5 story developments and the need WILL BE to go taller in order to add more development. This is already being seen with a slew of 250'+ towers getting proposed. I would also like to point out that if the economy didn't crash, there would have been 5 or 6 developments breaking 500'...maybe even 600'. Chase would've been long gone as the tallest.

B. The Downtown population will be much higher warranting more companies to start relocating Downtown requiring more office space. Hopefully, this leads to some new office development when vacancy rates finally drop.

C. The economy holds up and we continue to develop at the pace we are now (this is the biggest factor).

To answer a few things about the purpose of Skyscraperpage. Yes, it does have general development topics now, but that always wasn't the case. I joined this site initially back in 1999. I started making diagrams and I become a Skyscraperpage editor in 2001. I actually used to know a lot of s***, having made well around 5000+ posts. This site wasn't even enough for me, so I co-founded UrbanOhio.com. I eventually quit posting and making diagrams around 2005 because I simply became to busy with life and didn't have time to keep up with everything. But at the time of it's founding, this sites primary focus was on Skyscrapers and that's what it was...a site for Skyscraper enthusiast. It may be more convoluted now. But this sites primary focus is skyscrapers no matter what else is posted here. Therefore, I treat it with enthusiasm about getting taller buildings as much to my hearts content regardless of what we actually get.

So, don't make judgments or hate on me posting in the Phoenix forums for wanting taller buildings whether or not it's reality or just hopeful thinking. To some of us, it's our hobby and it's why joined this site in the first place. :tup:

Ballister Oct 16, 2017 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7952596)
^ I was last in downtown Phoenix in May, btw. And Phoenix didn't let me down, the economy melted down and I left to find work.

It's also interesting to have my expertise questioned by somebody who's made 1/200th the posts I have and created their account 13 years after I did...

Either way to take a joke next time. Judging by the content of your post, it would be infinitely better for your mental health.

Glad you were here in May. Good to see you had boots on the ground in our fair city. Sorry the economy was bad to you, it was bad for many thousands. I'm never questioned your expertise, just your version of reality based on that specific post. Glad you did the numbers on the percentage amount that you have posted compared to myself. You clearly are the winner. Joke? I love jokes. Hope you do to. And yes, my doctor believes laughter is the best medicine for one's mental health.

azsunsurfer Oct 16, 2017 7:41 PM

I think I can speak for most Phoenix area residents when I say....I don't want anything that will block my view(s) of South Mountain...or Chase Tower!!...or an overpass!

floc34 Oct 16, 2017 9:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7943395)
AZ central Article /

I don't know the renderings look like they share a single base?

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/dd8...-Pierce-01.jpg

The tiny little pool at Proxy is going to be completely in shadow and towered over from this haha!

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/f9a...-Pierce-02.jpg

I haven't heard much of this but I did see that they moved the Marisol credit union to a new location off of Grand, maybe they've been waiting for that to finish before beginning prep work.

If we could have Block 23, Derby, Stuart, Central Park east, Barrister, the Church Enhance phase two,

Oh my ....

https://brobible.files.wordpress.com...if?w=650&h=488

www.thelinkphx.com

They've added their signs on the fence next to Proxy....

muertecaza Oct 16, 2017 9:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floc34 (Post 7954359)
www.thelinkphx.com

They've added their signs on the fence next to Proxy....

Nice. From the site:

https://i.imgur.com/0DFkvzFh.jpg

dtnphx Oct 16, 2017 9:55 PM

It's only guess, mind you, but is this building going to be 19 stories like every other residential high rise proposal?

Obadno Oct 16, 2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 7954404)
It's only guess, mind you, but is this building going to be 19 stories like every other residential high rise proposal?

Allegedly its 29 with phase 2 being 25 and phase 3 being 20

Based on that rendering it looks like 20 ish floors on top of a pretty tall parking base.

TakeFive Oct 16, 2017 10:36 PM

^ The only thing I learned is if you join their VIP list they'll get back to you in 2019. The name is used in various cities but I find no 'link' :) Where's James Bond when you need him?

stutteringpunk Oct 16, 2017 10:53 PM

I know the hotel is moving along, but has anyone heard any news regarding this?

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...xt-to-new.html