SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

the urban politician Sep 10, 2014 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6723719)
Well, if TUP wins -- I guess the South Side doesn't get Shit (apparently to him appropriately)

If I win $300 Million gets spent on the probability of creating 10,000 new permanent jobs there -- mostly "walk-to" jobs WITHIN the disadvantaged communities along the Line (building local community economic strength), not just providing access to whatever jobs might [repeat - "might"] be available Downtown.

CTA says the RLE will "shorten travel times, and provide access to jobs" -- but they can't say that it will CREATE any new local community jobs, other than during construction (like Morgan/Lake did). And remember, that was CTA -- do you think they would report positive stuff about the Gray Line -- and then say "but we just don't want to do it"? They must provide "reasons".

At this point I wouldn't believe CTA if they said Newly Fallen Snow was White!!

^ To be honest, I actually think that converting the Metra Electric to a CTA-type rapid transit service is a good idea. I"m not against it.

My argument is against your reasoning, that's all. I don't believe that this new L line will do anything for these communities. It won't eliminate poverty, it won't eliminate gangs or poverty (besides moving them elsewhere). I just don't see any reason to believe that.

What I do hope is to see the lakefront hoods from the S. Loop to Hyde Park gentrify further, and rapid transit stops may help make these areas more appealing to gentrifiers as well as (?perhaps) immigrants. That's all I'm interested in.

CTA Gray Line Sep 10, 2014 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 6724075)
^ To be honest, I actually think that converting the Metra Electric to a CTA-type rapid transit service is a good idea. I"m not against it.

My argument is against your reasoning, that's all. I don't believe that this new L line will do anything for these communities. It won't eliminate poverty, it won't eliminate gangs or poverty (besides moving them elsewhere). I just don't see any reason to believe that.

What I do hope is to see the lakefront hoods from the S. Loop to Hyde Park gentrify further, and rapid transit stops may help make these areas more appealing to gentrifiers as well as (?perhaps) immigrants. That's all I'm interested in.

Question -- Did you ever live anywhere on the South Side for any length of time? I did for over 50 yrs., that is why I think I know what's lacking there.

I have only a vague abstract idea of what things Barrington or Palos Heights might need.

clark wellington Sep 11, 2014 4:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oshkeoto (Post 6723676)
The additional operating cost per new rider for the Grey Line would be $4.90; the operating cost per rider on the Red Line extension would be $1.90.

Thanks for that.

I'm sort of confused by these numbers. According to that CTA document, the Red Line Extension on the UPRR alignment is projected to have an annual ridership of 12.7 million. Dividing that by 365 gives ~35k per day. For the four stations on the proposed extension, that's an average of ~8,700 riders per station per day.

That's well above the boardings per weekday last year for stations like Howard (6,387), Wilson (6,328), Sheridan (5,483), Cermak (4,428 in 2012), and Sox-35th (5,218 in 2012). Even 95th street (where most of these riders presumably transfer to the Red Line today) only had ~4 million boardings in all of 2012. And that's not even accounting for the fact that weekday ridership should be much higher for the extension, which would push it up from this simple average.

Am I being stupid here and missing something? If not, this seems like a crazy high ridership projection...

CTA Gray Line Sep 11, 2014 4:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6723984)
Remind us what respected econometrics firm did the study claiming that 10,000 nonbasic-sector jobs would be created merely by installing Ventra™ turnstiles. What methodology did they use to calculate the unmet or exported retail demand of South Shore and South Chicago—both of which already have plenty of Walgreens, dry cleaners, convenience stores, hair care, etc.? What multipliers were used for different sectors?

Or do your job figures turn out to be rectally derived?

Wherever the job figures came from, can you explain why CNT and CTAQC published this statement (pages 16 thru 20) in 2009, Mr. "He's Fascinated by Mike's Rectum" dude (for enough money you can have a peek, but NO touching): https://app.box.com/CTA-Gray-Line

"The Chicagoland Transportation and Air Quality Commission, affiliated with the Center for Neighborhood Technology, ranked the Gray Line as the most sensible and worthy transit idea out of all transportation projects being proposed for Chicagoland"....

Did I generously bribe them from my Minimum Wage Paycheck? Also how did I manage to accquire a CMAP RTP Major Capital Project ID Number (#01-02-9003) Expensive Bribery again?

Tom Servo Sep 11, 2014 8:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6724218)
Question -- Did you ever live anywhere on the South Side for any length of time? I did for over 50 yrs., that is why I think I know what's lacking there.

I have only a vague abstract idea of what things Barrington or Palos Heights might need.

This.

Well said.

brian_b Sep 11, 2014 12:29 PM

Speaking of south side transit, has there ever been a proposal to send a train (or even BRT) down Garfield? I would think that something that connects the MSI, 55/56/57 Metra/South Shore, U of C (somewhere between Woodlawn and Cottage Grove), Garfield Green, Garfield Red, Halsted, Ashland, Garfield/Western, and then ends at the Western Orange Line stop would be a huge step forward.

ardecila Sep 11, 2014 12:51 PM

I definitely think a 55th/Garfield BRT is in order. Maybe a better place to start than Ashland. It should go to Midway, though and give a direct connection from the airport to U of C.

Mr Downtown Sep 11, 2014 1:54 PM

Well, X55 ridership was pretty anemic: 3000 per day. It's not like Garfield Blvd. experiences a lot of traffic delays.

the urban politician Sep 11, 2014 2:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6724218)

^ What do personal anecdotes have to do with this topic? The only time I ever lived in Chicago, I lived on the south side, in Hyde Park.

I could care less if you spent 20, 40, 60, or 100 years on the south side. It doesn't make for a sound argument. Give me one example in the United States, going back 50 years, when introducing a transit stop to an impoverished area led to drastic job growth, income growth, and investment absent gentrification and displacement of existing residents?

Again, I think a few of these areas will eventually gentrify, that's all. What you think will happen, however, is a myth.

Tom Servo Sep 11, 2014 2:21 PM

You're missing his point. I've been following your posts for years and have always thought you're painfully out of touch with our city's needs. Your perspective seems solely based on real-estate demands of the wealthy, upper-middle class.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 6724075)

And posts like this make you sound all the more racist and out of touch with anything and all things beyond the socioeconomic scope of your wealthy, northern Illinois suburb.

wierdaaron Sep 11, 2014 2:28 PM

More pie-in-the-sky theorizing about how awesome Union Station could be if any of the several thousand ideas already outlined for improving it were actually implemented rather than just discussed. http://www.suntimes.com/29801451-418...l#.VBGxEmRdW0u

Mr Downtown Sep 11, 2014 2:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6725064)
can you explain why. . .the Chicagoland Transportation and Air Quality Commission, affiliated with the Center for Neighborhood Technology, ranked the Gray Line as the most sensible and worthy transit idea out of all transportation projects being proposed for Chicagoland"....?

Because CNT is a grant-driven advocacy group, not a planning or transportation agency. They hadn’t done any real in-depth analysis of the idea. When the RTA's 2012 South Lakefront Corridor Study did some actual analysis, the idea was found unimpressive. The cost per new rider would be extremely high, it would turn lots of current one-seat rides into three-seat rides for no good reason, and there's very little likelihood of spurring any spinoff development given the existing density of South Shore.

I once got an award for doing 85wpm in high school typing class. I try not to confuse that with receiving the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Justin_Chicago Sep 11, 2014 5:25 PM

Is anyone aware of any future residential developments near the 51st and Garfield green line stations? I recently visited the Hyde Park campus of U of Chicago and I was surprised that the area around these transit stops have many open lots, despite the proximity to Washington park and the retail/dining scene on 53rd street.

ChickeNES Sep 11, 2014 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago (Post 6725790)
Is anyone aware of any future residential developments near the 51st and Garfield green line stations? I recently visited the Hyde Park campus of U of Chicago and I was surprised that the area around these transit stops have many open lots, despite the proximity to Washington park and the retail/dining scene on 53rd street.

The plots around Garfield Green I believe are all owned by UofC and at the moment are being held as a possible location for the Obama library.

ardecila Sep 11, 2014 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6725315)
Well, X55 ridership was pretty anemic: 3000 per day. It's not like Garfield Blvd. experiences a lot of traffic delays.

Fair enough. If we're being realistic, the goal is to better-connect Hyde Park with Midway and the Red/Green Lines with a frequent transit service that attracts choice riders (i.e. wealthy people). BRT stations induce a greater feeling of security and provide shelter from the elements, the higher speeds and fewer stops would attract riders, etc.

On paper, it seems like a pretty strong candidate: two major job centers at either end, ample road space along half the route and a narrow congested section on the other half. Most other east-west arterials don't have that anchor on the west end, so ridership is pretty directional and CTA wastes money on "wrong-way" service.

oshkeoto Sep 12, 2014 6:57 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the X55's frequency and span was never meant to serve as the main service along that road, right? The 3,000 number seems less like a comment on the demand for services along Garfield and more like a comment on the relative convenience of the X55 and the regular 55. If BRT were built with a frequency and span that made it the more convenient choice, you'd see a lot more riders. Current weekday ridership on the 55 is about 11,000 - if you got the same boost on Garfield that the CTA modeled on Ashland, it would jump to ~16,000 with BRT. That's quite respectable for an investment of probably well under $100 million.

MayorOfChicago Sep 12, 2014 2:21 PM

Random question, but does anyone know why the Midway Orange Line was put to the southeast of the train/yard area? If it had come in west a bit and had the station more north they could have easily moved the yard around and then the station would be probably less than half the distance to the terminal. Just a straight walk west. I noticed that when I was there last week, all the walking....

Ok - just looked and I assume it's because of the alignment heading south out of the station for any future extension. Still looks like they could have fairly easily moved it to the north west and then just had the extension snake back over to the southeast to get that vacant strip heading south.

Mr Downtown Sep 12, 2014 5:51 PM

They expected to extend the line to Ford City relatively soon. In fact, some rapid transit cars were delivered with "Ford City" destination signs.

Because we mostly experience that station only when we're en route to MDW, it seems like a shortsighted penny-wise pound-foolish decision. But if you look at the bigger picture of southwest side bus transfers and operations complexity when or if extended, it's a more understandable call.

Busy Bee Sep 12, 2014 6:04 PM

The walk to the terminal wouldn't be that bad if was a straight shot on moving walkways instead of that jogged all over nonsense through the deck.

Mr Downtown Sep 13, 2014 1:02 AM

Frequent travelers sometimes ignore the signage and walk straight west out of the station, across the recirculation drive, and then cut through the ground floor of the parking garage into baggage claim level.

Chicago3rd Sep 13, 2014 1:09 AM

The walk to the Midway from the Orange Line use to be twice as long...and for a few years it wasn't inside.

BVictor1 Sep 13, 2014 4:58 AM

Quote:

Around 51st I'm not aware of any imminent plans right now, but there are some 3 and 6 flats going up in the northern part of the 4600 block of south Calumet near the 47th Street stop.

ardecila Sep 13, 2014 3:46 PM

As mentioned before, the Obama Library may go next to the Garfield stop. Everyone seems to think this will spur a ton of new development, I'm not so sure.

UPChicago Sep 14, 2014 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6728297)
As mentioned before, the Obama Library may go next to the Garfield stop. Everyone seems to think this will spur a ton of new development, I'm not so sure.

I think its the perfect spot tbh! Garfield Blvd. has major potential and U of C has been interested in investing in this area for a while. Also logistically its next to the Green Line and a short jot from the Red Line.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickeNES (Post 6725889)
The plots around Garfield Green I believe are all owned by UofC and at the moment are being held as a possible location for the Obama library.

When I lived in the area in 2011-2012, I noticed that all of the buildings between 54th PL and 54th St north and south and MLK and Calumet east and west, were demolished. Most of buildings were occupied and some even newly renovated. These post inspired me to investigate and it seems like 11/7/2012 all of the parcels were bought by Lake Park Association Inc, I wonder what they have planned.

This was once proposed for that site.
http://wibiti.com/images/hpmain/550/276550.jpg

UPChicago Sep 14, 2014 3:43 AM

double post

J_M_Tungsten Sep 14, 2014 9:14 PM

Can't wait for the Lake Shore Drive redevelopment, but I know realistically it will be at least 10+ years away from starting. It will be nice to see more greenery east of the drive.
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/t...406f4976ef.jpg

BVictor1 Sep 15, 2014 2:25 AM

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-81368284/

International study critiques Chicago transit

Quote:

By Richard Wronski, Tribune reporter
8:21 pm, September 14, 2014

A new study by an international economic organization paints an uncomplimentary portrait of the Chicago area's transportation system, saying it suffers from too many transit agencies and fragmented local governments.

"The current state of transit ridership in Chicago is relatively depressing," concludes the report from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, a Paris-based research agency whose backers include the world's richest nations, among them the U.S.

The report found a lack of coordination among the four transit agencies and their four separate boards as well as insufficient accountability. Those issues intensify the economic impact of congestion on Chicago, estimated at over $6 billion in 2011 by the Texas Transportation Institute, the report said.

CTA Gray Line Sep 15, 2014 8:05 AM

Transit deserts strand thousands far from jobs

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...htmlstory.html

By Tribune Graphics,
@ChiTribGraphics

"Approximately 438,500 people in Cook County live in a transit desert, an area with a high demand for transit but that is more than a half-mile from a train stop and a quarter-mile from high-quality bus service. A study of Cook County transit deserts proposes a host of projects to address the shortfalls......"

Mr Downtown Sep 15, 2014 2:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XIII in General Developments thread (Post 6729962)
If we had a single, unified group making sure people could get around, we may actually see improved service and transit expansion. Instead we can't eve get BRT on Ashland.

So tell me how this unified group would be structured; how it would decide on regional priorities. Remember that the suburbs pay 72% of the cost of transit in this region, but take only 20% of the trips. If representation is based on taxation or on population, do you think the 6 suburban members (of 9) would be voting to fund even more service in city neighborhoods?

the urban politician Sep 15, 2014 2:51 PM

^ The agency should be 1/3 suburban, 2/3 city despite the funding differential.

Why? Because the suburbs owe their prosperity to Chicago's existence. And without transit, Chicago would have become Cleveland or Detroit long ago.

The only reason I don't live outside the Midwest right now is due to Chicago's awesomeness. And I'll bet my right thumb there are a lot of other people who probably feel the same way.

LouisVanDerWright Sep 15, 2014 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 6730072)

Why? Because the suburbs owe their prosperity to Chicago's existence. And without transit, Chicago would have become Cleveland or Detroit long ago.

The only reason I don't live outside the Midwest right now is due to Chicago's awesomeness. And I'll bet my right thumb there are a lot of other people who probably feel the same way.

Obviously that's how it "should be", but it's clearly not how it will be. The suburbs will never agree to treat Chicago fairly as long as they hold an economic advantage in terms of their general health and the wealth of their citizens. This is why Chicago carries an unfair burden when it comes to the poor as well, most suburbs simply don't allow them into their communities. This is also why I am completely OK with an open and hostile war by the city against the suburbs until every square inch of Chicago is gentrified. Everyone likes to lament that there is no "regional gain" when Chicago poaches jobs from the suburbs, but I disagree. The suburbs are an inefficient pack of leeches on the real economic core of the region that is downtown Chicago and every job we can condense there makes the regions economy more efficient in a number of ways.

Eventually the fiscal distress and economic hardship that plagues a large swath of Chicago will migrate to the suburbs as their job clusters empty out and head downtown. At that point the suburbs might actually start being more reasonable when it comes to regional collaboration and, personally, I think will start asking to be annexed again. But this can't happen if the city continually "plays nice" with the hostiles in the collar counties.

sukwoo Sep 15, 2014 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 6730152)
Eventually the fiscal distress and economic hardship that plagues a large swath of Chicago will migrate to the suburbs as their job clusters empty out and head downtown. At that point the suburbs might actually start being more reasonable when it comes to regional collaboration and, personally, I think will start asking to be annexed again. But this can't happen if the city continually "plays nice" with the hostiles in the collar counties.

This is already happening in the south suburbs, but I seriously doubt it will ever happen to the North Shore. There's got to be a better way to divvy things up than waiting for economic doom to hit the suburbs.

chrisvfr800i Sep 15, 2014 4:26 PM

Quote:

The suburbs are an inefficient pack of leeches
Quote:

Eventually the fiscal distress and economic hardship that plagues a large swath of Chicago will migrate to the suburbs
You think people that live in the suburbs are blood-suckers on society and deserve economic hardships be visited upon them? That goes a bit beyond the makeup of a transit funding board. You are downright hateful if those are your true thoughts.

Sick.

XIII Sep 15, 2014 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6730024)
So tell me how this unified group would be structured; how it would decide on regional priorities. Remember that the suburbs pay 72% of the cost of transit in this region, but take only 20% of the trips. If representation is based on taxation or on population, do you think the 6 suburban members (of 9) would be voting to fund even more service in city neighborhoods?

If we were in a complete fantasy world, it would be run by a central CEO/planner who is appointed by an elected oversight board of 7 people. The jurisdiction would cover the current IL area of the Chicago metropolitan area as defined by the census.

The CEO would have no term limit, but the board members would be limited to a single 6 year term. The group would be required to retain independent auditors who would conduct yearly financial audits.

CEO would set out overall transit strategy and board approves this and all capital expenditures. CEO would essentially operate like the CEO of a publicly traded company.

Pipe dream, I know

Ryanrule Sep 15, 2014 5:32 PM

Quote:

the suburbs would not exist without the city.
the executives who live out their by their golf courses can fucking deal with it.
also, the burbs are dying. people and companies are moving to the city.

Ryanrule Sep 15, 2014 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i (Post 6730226)
You think people that live in the suburbs are blood-suckers on society and deserve economic hardships be visited upon them? That goes a bit beyond the makeup of a transit funding board. You are downright hateful if those are your true thoughts.

Sick.

these are FACTS, not opinions.

deal with it.

Chi-Sky21 Sep 15, 2014 5:34 PM

Some burbs are dying but others are so large now they can be considered small cities unto themselves. 200k population for a suburb is not tiny.

chrisvfr800i Sep 15, 2014 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanrule (Post 6730320)
these are FACTS, not opinions.

deal with it.

Then you're hateful and sick, too. Thank god we still have a representative form of government to temper your gestapo-like mindset.

If there MUST be a unified transit board, why not fill it based in part on where the money comes from? If your predictions of a suburban apocalypse come true, the money will all be in the city anyway.

Chi-Sky21 Sep 15, 2014 7:05 PM

I think the question should not be where the majority of the money comes from but where the majority of the rides are taken/needed. But good luck getting anyone else to think that way.

brian_b Sep 15, 2014 7:18 PM

Quote:

If it's a single organization that serves the entire metro area, why should there be a distinction between city and suburbs?

Hundreds of thousands of suburbanites use transit every single day to get to their jobs in the Loop. Don't you trust them?

Mr Downtown Sep 16, 2014 1:17 AM

About 150,000 suburbanites come to the Loop daily on Metra or Pace. That leaves 4.8 million for whom transit is pretty much irrelevant. It's one thing to convince suburban transit representatives to improve or extend Metra service, to add Pace shuttles, perhaps even to improve downtown CTA service. But persuading them to run owl service on South Side crosstown routes, or to invest in Ashland BRT?

It's fine to make theoretical arguments about how the suburbs owe their very existence to the center city, but politics is the art of the possible. The suburbs have far more population, far more jobs, and contribute far more tax revenue to transit. And that pesky Supreme Court has allowed them to have their own state representatives, who won't be too keen to vote for a new regional transit agency run by the city.

the urban politician Sep 16, 2014 1:32 AM

^. How does the MTA work in New York, politically? They have the same proportion of city dwellers vs suburbanites

phoenixboi08 Sep 16, 2014 1:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 6730952)
^. How does the MTA work in New York, politically? They have the same proportion of city dwellers vs suburbanites

Since, the MTA is a regional organization with separate "divisions" responsible for managing the different services, its legitimacy stems from the fact that all of the counties represented pay [somewhat] equal shares. The funds are then distributed to the various sub-agencies; MetroNorth, LIRR, NYCT. However, this is the reason you get the stupid fighting between LIRR and MetroNorth, with the latter insisting it get its own "East-Side Access" equivalent since the LIRR will soon serve GCT...

In reality, if the MTA was one regional transportation agency, there wouldn't be a distinction between LIRR and MetroNorth, PATH and NJTT would be better integrated into the system, and there wouldn't be redundancy in staffing (legal, HR, planning, etc) between each sub-agency.

The MTA is really a one-off.

Maybe I'm off, but from my casual observations, things seem to work this way.

emathias Sep 16, 2014 2:05 AM

Quote:

The suburbs may owe their prosperity to Chicago, however that's a touchy-feely, wishy-washy reason to justify your proposed split (which I think is fair).

The best way to justify the split is to use international standards of what kinds of transit get created in various densities and then split the money based on which areas have those kinds of densities. The split can be variable after every Census estimate and areas that have existing service higher than their density warrants can either pay out of their own budgets the difference or submit a 10-year plan to rezone and promote growth to bring the area up toward the required density.

This would not only be objective and fair, it would give Chicago a huge mandate and incentive to invest in the South Side, because losing the Green Line would be a huge political blow to any mayor. It would also help justify appropriate construction of subways where they objectively make sense - in the Central Area - instead of extending them further and further away from the population center.

In other words, basing it on density would not only be objective and fair, it would encourage positive planning instead of the obtuse aldermanic abuse of zoning we currently suffer from.

ardecila Sep 16, 2014 2:14 AM

Politically, Cook County government could be a useful intermediary between city and suburb... They already have a close relationship (like ~100 feet lol) and at the county level, Chicago is dominant with just over half the total population but not the only thing. Cook County revenues account for about 70% of total receipts. Plus, Cook County suburbs tend to be denser and more transit-friendly on average.

This gets at Mr D's plan to roughly expand the CTA to cover all of Cook County (minus the northwest panhandle) and therefore claim almost all of Cook County's tax revenue. Metra's share of Cook County money would decrease substantially but the city itself would begin to remit some money to Metra on the condition of improved service on Metra Electric, Rock Island and other Chicago segments .

Notably, Toni Preckwinkle has come out strongly in favor of CrossRail Chicago and Transit Future, two visions that focus strongly on expanding good transit beyond the city limits.

LouisVanDerWright Sep 16, 2014 2:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i (Post 6730226)

Sick.

No, we think that the suburbs are generally filled with semi-bigoted political entities that do nothing but try to contain the ills of society in the city. You tell me what the more sociopathic behavior is: wishing ill on municipalities that refuse to have any part in carrying the burden of the poor or systematically denying access to superior civic amenities to any and all "undesirables". When Barrington starts accepting Section 8 vouchers then you can come and tell us that the suburbs deserve even the moral lowground because, as far as I'm concerned, the attitudes that drove white flight have never died in the majority of the suburbs.

Also, I'm not suggesting that poverty be foisted upon the denizens of the suburbs, I'm suggesting that an equal or greater portion of our social burden be borne by them. Anyone who disagrees is supporting a system of thinly veiled bigotry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6730934)
It's fine to make theoretical arguments about how the suburbs owe their very existence to the center city, but politics is the art of the possible. The suburbs have far more population, far more jobs, and contribute far more tax revenue to transit. And that pesky Supreme Court has allowed them to have their own state representatives, who won't be too keen to vote for a new regional transit agency run by the city.

All the more reason to support political attitudes that are openly hostile to the suburbs. The status quo will never support a change in this system for the better so the only solution is to crush the status quo and FORCE them to accept change. The suburbs will start supporting a more logical approach to transit right quick when their tax base starts eroding and demographic change brings a larger portion of the population who rely on transit.

Chi-Sky21 Sep 16, 2014 2:45 AM

To me the question i toss around most is ...is it to late already to change the broken model of suburban sprawl? When does this not become feasible anymore? The system is set up for complete reliance on the automobile and there really is no alternative if you live in the suburb. Despite what many of us may want...the suburbs are not going anywhere and retooling them away from cars i think is impossible. They are a huge waste of resources...maintaining the roads, sewers, power....the paving over of productive land, the endless waste of resources. My theory is that Eisenhowers Interstate Highway System plan is the true downfall of america...it forever signed in blood our dependence on the automobile and unknowingly launched the plague of suburbia on us all. END RANT

Mr Downtown Sep 16, 2014 2:59 AM

Transportation geek that I am, I feel obligated to point out that Eisenhower had almost nothing to do with creating the Interstate Highway System—and to note that much of Northeastern Illinois's superhighway network was already under construction when Ike signed the 1956 bill. Suburban development was already roaring full speed ahead in the Chicago region by 1930, and the city approved its comprehensive system of superhighways in 1939.

BVictor1 Sep 16, 2014 7:13 AM

Quote:

Amalgamation

CTA Gray Line Sep 16, 2014 7:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 6731030)
No, we think that the suburbs are generally filled with semi-bigoted political entities that do nothing but try to contain the ills of society in the city. You tell me what the more sociopathic behavior is: wishing ill on municipalities that refuse to have any part in carrying the burden of the poor or systematically denying access to superior civic amenities to any and all "undesirables". When Barrington starts accepting Section 8 vouchers then you can come and tell us that the suburbs deserve even the moral lowground because, as far as I'm concerned, the attitudes that drove white flight have never died in the majority of the suburbs.

Also, I'm not suggesting that poverty be foisted upon the denizens of the suburbs, I'm suggesting that an equal or greater portion of our social burden be borne by them. Anyone who disagrees is supporting a system of thinly veiled bigotry.

All the more reason to support political attitudes that are openly hostile to the suburbs. The status quo will never support a change in this system for the better so the only solution is to crush the status quo and FORCE them to accept change. The suburbs will start supporting a more logical approach to transit right quick when their tax base starts eroding and demographic change brings a larger portion of the population who rely on transit.

Everyone is tippy-toeing around the Elephant in the room, all this conflict and city/suburb drama is based on Race -- and how each really sees the other, and acts on it.