SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

MayorOfChicago Jul 25, 2012 8:53 PM

I remember when I moved here the lines being colors made it SO much easier than the first time you try to take it in a city where that isn't the case. Take the Red Line to Fullerton. Ok, within 2 seconds I've found the Red Line on the map and can instantly tell exactly where it goes. Then I found Fullerton and it all made sense.

"Switch to the Brown Line". Ok, that line on the map is colored is Brown....done with the thinking part.

nomarandlee Jul 26, 2012 1:38 AM

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3492950.story

three towns top depaul's list of commuter-friendly suburbs

by richard wronski

tribune reporter

3:15 p.m. Cdt, july 25, 2012

la grange, wilmette and arlington heights were ranked at the top of a list of chicago’s commuter-friendliest suburbs, according to a new study out today from depaul university.

The report evaluated the region’s suburbs on the basis of their attractiveness to those with lifestyles oriented toward the use of public transportation.

Researchers at depaul’s chaddick institute for metropolitan development developed an index consisting of 47 measurable factors used to identify the top 20 transit suburbs of metropolitan chicago.

The report rated the suburbs according to three main criteria: Commuter-rail service available seven days a week, with at least 14 inbound departures on weekdays, including some express trains; used by at least 150 people who walk or bike to the train daily; and a as measured by “walk score” of how walkable the downtown stations were ranked.

“we wanted to reward communities that are creating great transit environments, but we also wanted to prod communities to start worrying about the small things that make commuters’ lives miserable or difficult,” said joseph schwieterman, a depaul professor who authored the study..........
more in link

The Report

http://www.toptransitsuburbs.com/

the urban politician Jul 26, 2012 2:34 AM

^ Uhhh...... Evanston?

ChiSoxRox Jul 26, 2012 3:15 AM

From their site:

Quote:

We did not consider "city suburbs" with CTA rapid-transit service to their downtowns, such as Evanston and Oak Park.
One of my dreams is to have Evanston (or better, both) be annexed into the city limits, but I know that's not happening.

Ch.G, Ch.G Jul 26, 2012 4:22 AM

^

Doesn't Wilmette have a Purple Line stop??

ChiSoxRox Jul 26, 2012 4:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G (Post 5778102)
^

Doesn't Wilmette have a Purple Line stop??

Yeah, although Linden isn't right in downtown Wilmette and it's the only CTA station in the city, so maybe that's why they look at Wilmette?

They also consider Berwyn as a suburb since the Pink Line stops in Cicero, although Berwyn is just as dense.

ardecila Jul 26, 2012 5:07 AM

Interesting methodology. If you exclude Evanston and Oak Park, the results are pretty much what I expected.

The more interesting aspect of this, to me, is not the transit (which is lacking) but the way in which we're resting on our laurels with regard to greenfield development. All of the finalists have substantial prewar downtowns. There are really no "new downtowns" in the region centered around train stations. New lines (SWS, Heritage, NCS) have yet to see any kind of urban development at their stations, and any infill stations are designed as park-and-rides to relieve nearby downtowns of the parking burden. The closest we've got is The Glen, but the business district there is 1/2 mile from the train station and separated by a huge park.

I suppose some of these suburbs are to be commended for not letting parking lots infiltrate their downtowns, but our region is still far too invested in resurrecting the past IMO and not on fixing the way we develop greenfield areas. It speaks volumes to me that "heritage" is one of the categories used to evaluate the stations in this study.

ardecila Jul 26, 2012 6:27 AM

Wacker/Congress Interchange
Franklin St is now open through to Harrison, and certain ramps have opened. The rough grading for the park is complete and I'm more optimistic about the design now.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9286/julywalk4.jpg

jpIllInoIs Jul 26, 2012 2:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5778152)
...There are really no "new downtowns" in the region centered around train stations. New lines (SWS, Heritage, NCS) have yet to see any kind of urban development at their stations, and any infill stations are designed as park-and-rides to relieve nearby downtowns of the parking burden...

Mundelien (NCS) cleared low density and obsolete light industry area for midrise rez in their downtown area adjacent to the station, Cardinal Square has been delayed by the housing mess.. Only 2 low-rises finished so far.

I question why Morton Grove (MD-N) line missed the top 25. There are multiple and very dense mid-rise developments nearly encircling the station. Perhaps the retail access is low and that lowers the "Walkability" score.

ardecila Jul 26, 2012 9:47 PM

Morton Grove looks urban but it isn't very pedestrian friendly and has little retail. This will change if/when they reconfigure the streets. I did forget about them, whoops.

Wasn't aware of Mundelein, good to know. Much better than Grayslake which didn't even bother to build a downtown station on the NCS.

Chicago Shawn Jul 28, 2012 12:03 AM

Willow Springs built a brand new downtown next to the heritage corridor, and it never really had one before. Its about half completed, partially stalled by the recession.

Grayslake does have a traditional downtown, but the Metra stations in town are not located there. Despite this, Grayslake has seen some infill development.

emathias Jul 30, 2012 5:56 PM

Two questions:

I thought the Clark/Lasalle/Division Red Line station (re)construction was supposed to start this summer. I can't find any info about it on the CDOT site - anyone know when it's actually going to start?

For the Wells Street bridge reconstruction, which is supposed to start this coming December, anyone know what sort of Brown Line impact that will have?

MostlyHarmless Jul 30, 2012 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 5782316)
Two questions:

I thought the Clark/Lasalle/Division Red Line station (re)construction was supposed to start this summer. I can't find any info about it on the CDOT site - anyone know when it's actually going to start?

For the Wells Street bridge reconstruction, which is supposed to start this coming December, anyone know what sort of Brown Line impact that will have?

Re Brown Line, expected closure from Dec 2012 - Dec 2013. The impact will be minimal, meaning most work will be done on the weekend and/or offpeak hours. If worst comes to worst, I foresee them running Brown via Red Line subway, and through routing to Midway OR simply end service at Mart as they have in the past.

Re Clark/Division, from what I've read they had to borrow money from the Clark/Division project to pay for Grand...so it's been delayed.

emathias Jul 30, 2012 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless (Post 5782426)
Re Clark/Division, from what I've read they had to borrow money from the Clark/Division project to pay for Grand...so it's been delayed.

Unless they had to borrow a second time, that's not the case. They were fully funded again as of earlier this year.

k1052 Jul 30, 2012 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 5782316)
Two questions:

I saw a drilling rig doing soil testing at the intersection/on the sidewalks a few days back. Probably wasn't noticed since they're resurfacing LaSalle.

VivaLFuego Jul 30, 2012 10:34 PM

CDOT already awarded the construction contract for Clark/Division which came in well under budget, and a good chunk of the utility relocation work is already complete.

ardecila Jul 31, 2012 12:39 AM

That's good hustle!

Glad to see the project is ready to go. Possibly the reason we haven't heard more is that the work will not affect the existing mezzanine for over a year. I do expect lane reductions on Division and LaSalle though.

J_M_Tungsten Jul 31, 2012 1:25 AM

Does anyone know why they do this around bus stops after re-paving a road? Do they have to compensate for the weight of the bus?

Tonight
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/t...N/8b56c34b.jpg

the pope Jul 31, 2012 3:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten (Post 5782808)
Does anyone know why they do this around bus stops after re-paving a road? Do they have to compensate for the weight of the bus?

Tonight
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/t...N/8b56c34b.jpg

short answer: yes. I think time out chicago had it as their question of the week in the last year. And could probably give a more eloquent answer.

daperpkazoo Jul 31, 2012 3:38 AM

Yes-- in other cities it is quite typical for major bus stops to be paved with concrete while the surrounding area is asphalt. I haven't noticed that here though. I do, however, occasionally notice while biking the results of a bus stop that was not properly supported.

Buses are heavy.

emathias Jul 31, 2012 1:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten (Post 5782808)

Quote:

Originally Posted by daperpkazoo (Post 5782936)
Yes-- in other cities it is quite typical for major bus stops to be paved with concrete while the surrounding area is asphalt. I haven't noticed that here though. I do, however, occasionally notice while biking the results of a bus stop that was not properly supported.

Buses are heavy.

It's not just the weight, it's also the heat from the underside of the bus softening the asphalt and causing deeper ruts. That's why it's usually just at the stops, although I think the city is foolish not to pave the entire right lane on North Michigan and State Street through the Loop in concrete. You get buses lined up the entire length at rush hour, and you can see literal waves in the asphalt after a couple summers. Seems much more rational just to pave the whole lane in concrete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daperpkazoo (Post 5782936)

Buses are heavy.

They've only been doing it in Chicago for about 10 years, and only in certain areas or as streets get completely rebuilt, not just resurfaced.

ardecila Aug 2, 2012 4:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn (Post 5780389)
Willow Springs built a brand new downtown next to the heritage corridor, and it never really had one before. Its about half completed, partially stalled by the recession.

Grayslake does have a traditional downtown, but the Metra stations in town are not located there. Despite this, Grayslake has seen some infill development.

Cool! Didn't know about the Willow Springs development. I drove down Archer a few months ago but I don't think I noticed it.

Now, if only service on the Heritage Corridor didn't suck so much...

Busy Bee Aug 2, 2012 4:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 5783230)
Seems much more rational just to pave the whole lane in concrete.

Or even better, an attractive permeable paver on top a base suitable for the weight. Too much damned concrete in the US.

Mr Downtown Aug 2, 2012 4:15 PM

^That's good for the first year, but once it clogs with fines, you've just got extremely expensive concrete.

denizen467 Aug 3, 2012 5:42 AM

^ What're "fines"?

Just for that, I'm going to ask you a traffic question. (This has been niggling me for a long time.) Why are all the traffic signals at a busy intersection sometimes switched to flash red? They're just broken enough that they can't work correctly, yet not quite so broken that they can't flash red? Seems like that'd be a narrow range of circumstances. I mean you almost never see them completely dead, which you'd think would be the more common ailment. Is this just a question of a single green or a single yellow not working, so they dumb the whole thing down to red-flashing?

emathias Aug 3, 2012 2:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 5786990)
^ What're "fines"?

Just for that, I'm going to ask you a traffic question. (This has been niggling me for a long time.) Why are all the traffic signals at a busy intersection sometimes switched to flash red? They're just broken enough that they can't work correctly, yet not quite so broken that they can't flash red? Seems like that'd be a narrow range of circumstances. I mean you almost never see them completely dead, which you'd think would be the more common ailment. Is this just a question of a single green or a single yellow not working, so they dumb the whole thing down to red-flashing?

I've always assumed that, for whatever reason, it means that the lights have lost connection to the control-box on the corner and they're wired to flash-red when that happens as really the only plausible and safe reaction if, for example, the North-facing lights can't be properly coordinated with the East-facing lights. If you can't coordinate perpendicular lights, then flashing red is the only control you can give without risking an accident.

ardecila Aug 3, 2012 3:08 PM

Just to be clear, we're not talking about an intentional downgrade of a signal to a four-way stop, which often happens at sleepy intersections during the night?

Mr Downtown Aug 3, 2012 3:11 PM

Many high hopes for permeable pavers have been dashed by the discovery that small (fine) particles of sand and gravel collect over time in the perforations, rendering the pavers impermeable within a few months.

As for flashing red, that's the fail-safe mode for modern traffic signals that use solid-state or sophisticated electro-mechanical controllers. If one of the relays or controller boards fails, you don't want to take chances that one of the intersection legs will show the wrong aspect or no aspect at all. In many cases, though, you'll see that a technician is already there with the control box opened up and has switched the signal to flashing red while he replaces a control board.

In a total power failure, of course, there are no aspects displayed at all and you're supposed to treat the intersection as a four-way stop. A lot of intersections have folding stop signs mounted on the standards that the local police unfold until power is restored. These are common in the suburbs but not in the city, so they might be mostly on state- or county-maintained routes. Because Cook County doesn't put up route markers, few people realize how many arterials are actually under its control.

schwerve Aug 3, 2012 3:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 5787178)
Many high hopes for permeable pavers have been dashed by the discovery that small (fine) particles of sand and gravel collect over time in the perforations, rendering the pavers impermeable within a few months.

That's a slight mis-characterization. The collection of fines is a well known and studied process since the implementation of water filtration (100+ years). Permeable materials are designed with this fully in mind to mitigate this problem. With that said, I don't know the efficacy of these materials in real world situations as I haven't seen the data. I do know most permeable pilot programs throughout Chicago are trying to determine exactly how long these function based on loading/porosity/design and whether or not they end up being cost effective.

denizen467 Aug 4, 2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 5787178)
As for flashing red, that's the fail-safe mode for modern traffic signals that use solid-state or sophisticated electro-mechanical controllers. If one of the relays or controller boards fails, you don't want to take chances that one of the intersection legs will show the wrong aspect or no aspect at all. In many cases, though, you'll see that a technician is already there with the control box opened up and has switched the signal to flashing red while he replaces a control board.

Interesting - so the problems tend to be with the controllers, rather than in any of the actual fixtures themselves. That's infinitely easier to triage, as you don't need a cherry-picker or cops to effect lane closures. Now, when a fixture bulb goes out (I've seen a lot more of this in the last year or two), does the equipment automatically contact somebody, or is the system reliant on an Alert Citizen calling 311?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5787175)
Just to be clear, we're not talking about an intentional downgrade of a signal to a four-way stop, which often happens at sleepy intersections during the night?

Right, I guess I figured that would be people's assumption (plus, most frequent commenters here live in the city, where the former is a frequent nuisance and the latter rarely if ever occurs).

Now let me throw in something related a lot of people might not know about. I haven't seen these for eons, but a long time ago (let's just say late last century) on a drive in rural New England you could encounter flashing-green traffic signals. These were "sleepy intersections" that, at night, didn't even merit a flashing red or flashing yellow -- they'd go all the way to flashing green, meaning that you could completely ignore there was any light there at all, and not worry about yielding, not worry it was a green about to turn yellow, but just feel free to continue zipping along. Remarkably driver-friendly. I'd guess that nowadays any accident that occurred there could result in an injured person suing the town/county/state for negligence in not at least warning drivers of an intersection with a flashing yellow or something, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't exist anymore.

I actually have a vague recollection of flashing green being taught in driver's ed, so maybe it's something people know about, but I sure haven't seen one in the Midwest. I think that given the way narrow, windy roads connect little towns in New England, where there are few interstate highway options, maybe they wanted to lessen the noise impact of vehicles slowing down and accelerating just steps from people's homes at night -- as well as the (dangerous, in small towns) urge to speed up upon spotting each green, fearing it might soon go yellow.

Nexis4Jersey Aug 4, 2012 12:52 AM

They still have flashing Green lights in New England for Fire Stations...

denizen467 Aug 4, 2012 1:14 AM

^ Meaning, on the public roadway next to a firehouse, flashing green 24 hours a day except when the emergency vehicles are leaving/arriving?

Nexis4Jersey Aug 4, 2012 1:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 5787779)
^ Meaning, on the public roadway next to a firehouse, flashing green 24 hours a day except when the emergency vehicles are leaving/arriving?

I'm not sure....All I know is in New England and Canada they have them. In Canada its in replacement of a green arrow...

Mr Downtown Aug 4, 2012 2:49 PM

In Eastern Canada a flashing green indicates that all other aspects are red, so it's the equivalent of a left-turn arrow, and known as an advance.

In some places in the US and Canada, a flashing green indicates a pedestrian signal or a fire station exit that changes to red only on demand from a crossing pedestrian or exiting fire apparatus.

The current MUTCD, however, specifically prohibits flashing green, so it will disappear rapidly from the US.

denizen467 Aug 7, 2012 11:31 AM

^ Seeing as we've descended into the nether reaches of traffic nerddom (I had never heard of the "MUTCD") and news lately seems a bit slow, I've got another question about something I've found rather annoying. At some point some decades ago, traffic signals began being positioned overhead, on horizontal booms above the roadway lanes, rather than merely on vertical poles on the corners. Obviously these are more expensive, but visibility and safety is vastly improved.

I have noticed some arterial intersections in the city that still have the old style traffic signal positioning, with pretty outdated lights (dim bulbs; poor-transparency glass covers) to boot. There are 2 of them right in the middle of Wicker Park on Milwaukee, and I'd be surprised if there haven't been accidents as a result from time to time, particularly during sunny days during heavy business hours. Is there a legal mandate, or any City policy, ensuring that signals like these will be upgraded soon? Or are they going to just keep on ticking until they rust to death or contribute to a deadly accident? Seems this would be more important, and far easier to complete, than all the curb cuts being rebuilt throughout the city, or all the sodium vapor streetlights being replaced everywhere.

Mr Downtown Aug 7, 2012 3:46 PM

No legal mandate that I'm aware of, though eventually they may become so rare that someone will win a lawsuit claiming that they unreasonably dangerous. As far as I can determine, the MUTCD does not yet require overhead signals except on streets with 45 mph or greater speeds.

The ones on Congress Parkway, especially at Plymouth, were a very dangerous spot for cyclists like me using Plymouth. Drivers from the suburbs or other states who'd never seen anything but mast-arm signals over the roadway just never even spotted them, especially coming only 140 feet after they'd passed the mast-arm signals at Dearborn.

You young'uns don't remember, but a lot of Chicago neighborhoods had totally uncontrolled intersections—no stop or yield signs on either street—well into the 1980s.

the pope Aug 7, 2012 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 5790282)
^ Seeing as we've descended into the nether reaches of traffic nerddom (I had never heard of the "MUTCD") and news lately seems a bit slow, I've got another question about something I've found rather annoying. At some point some decades ago, traffic signals began being positioned overhead, on horizontal booms above the roadway lanes, rather than merely on vertical poles on the corners. Obviously these are more expensive, but visibility and safety is vastly improved.

I have noticed some arterial intersections in the city that still have the old style traffic signal positioning, with pretty outdated lights (dim bulbs; poor-transparency glass covers) to boot. There are 2 of them right in the middle of Wicker Park on Milwaukee, and I'd be surprised if there haven't been accidents as a result from time to time, particularly during sunny days during heavy business hours. Is there a legal mandate, or any City policy, ensuring that signals like these will be upgraded soon? Or are they going to just keep on ticking until they rust to death or contribute to a deadly accident? Seems this would be more important, and far easier to complete, than all the curb cuts being rebuilt throughout the city, or all the sodium vapor streetlights being replaced everywhere.

If you speak of the one at Milwaukee/Wood/Woolcott at least that one is being replaced this year (or so i thought) as the intersection is being reconfigured/straightened. However, that means I have no idea why the city repaved the apron from Wood just last month.

emathias Aug 7, 2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 5790485)
You young'uns don't remember, but a lot of Chicago neighborhoods had totally uncontrolled intersections—no stop or yield signs on either street—well into the 1980s.

I still run across intersections like this occasionally in the far west neighborhoods.

Mister Uptempo Aug 8, 2012 7:30 PM

CTA approves extension of popular South Side bus route

August 8, 2012 2:15PM

BY TINA SFONDELES
Transportation Reporter
tsfondeles@suntimes.com

Read More: http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...bus-route.html
Quote:

South Side residents hoping for the expansion of a popular No.35 bus route got a bit closer to some of their goals on Wednesday as the CTA Board approved a 180-day “experiment” that will extend the route west to Cicero Avenue.

The No.35 bus route that travels on 35th Street, heads one block south and stops at Kedzie Avenue will now head north on Kedzie to 31st Street and then west to Cicero Avenue. It will then head north on Cicero to the existing CTA bus terminal at 24th Place.

The route will begin its westward expansion on Sept. 4, the first day of classes for the Chicago Public Schools. It’s not a 24-hour bus route; service along the route will be provided every day from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. at a 10-20 minute frequency.

The CTA stopped service of the 31st Street in 1997 due to low ridership. But last year, the No.35 bus route, which travels down 35th Street, provided rides for more than 1.6 million people, accounting for a 2.6 percent boost in ridership. The CTA says the extension is based on “increased potential ridership demand” in the area.

CTA Gray Line Aug 9, 2012 4:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo (Post 5792095)

August 8, 2012 2:15PM

BY TINA SFONDELES
Transportation Reporter
tsfondeles@suntimes.com

Read More: http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...bus-route.html

They should extend it a few blocks North on Cicero to terminate at the Cicero Ave. Station on the Pink Line.

Beta_Magellan Aug 9, 2012 5:32 PM

I’m guessing the extension’s a sop to the Route 31 people.

I’m not sure if there’s really much point of terminating it at the Cicero Pink Line station—is there that much of a commute market for stuff along the route? People on the 35’s route can go downtown quicker via the Red or Orange lines, and the N-S crosstowns could deliver them to Cermak and 18th more quickly too. By getting to 24th Place they at least pass by the big-box retail on Cicero, which I’m guessing will be a bigger draw for most people along the route.

MayorOfChicago Aug 9, 2012 6:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 5791002)
I still run across intersections like this occasionally in the far west neighborhoods.

They're all over the place, and not just on the west side. Wellington and Sheffield, Buena and Sheridan, Wellington and Broadway, Clarendon and Buena, Clark and Belden come to mind immediately.

emathias Aug 9, 2012 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago (Post 5793256)
They're all over the place, and not just on the west side. Wellington and Sheffield, Buena and Sheridan, Wellington and Broadway, Clarendon and Buena, Clark and Belden come to mind immediately.

He was talking about intersections with zero traffic control. No light. No stop signs. Nothing. I don't think anything like that exists in Lakeview. Broadway and Wellington certainly has stop lights - if you've been ignoring them, perhaps you ought to visit an eye doctor. :)

P.S. this is Google's Streetview at Clark/Belden - INSIDE a building?! (And oddly, not even the correct location for the business)

ardecila Aug 10, 2012 12:24 AM

Interesting article about the engineering work at Morgan.
http://www.asce.org/CEMagazine/Artic...id=25769810003

I didn't realize the platforms are isolated from the elevated structure. This is definitely the way to go - I hate the swaying you get on the older platforms.

MayorOfChicago Aug 10, 2012 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 5793458)
He was talking about intersections with zero traffic control. No light. No stop signs. Nothing. I don't think anything like that exists in Lakeview. Broadway and Wellington certainly has stop lights - if you've been ignoring them, perhaps you ought to visit an eye doctor. :)

P.S. this is Google's Streetview at Clark/Belden - INSIDE a building?! (And oddly, not even the correct location for the business)

Oh, I thought we were still dishing about intersections with lights to the side and not overhead. I notice a lot of those light setups don't even have walk signals. I just kinda walk out when it's green and hope it doesn't turn immediately.

CTA Gray Line Aug 13, 2012 11:48 AM

Civic group calls for end to RTA

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...tory?track=rss

Civic group calls for end to RTA

Transit agency should be merged with regional planning unit, group says

“In Chicago, we’ve been content to go along with a transportation system that was once a real champion and now is in real danger of becoming derelict,” says George Ranney, who is widely credited with being the architect of the RTA when it was created in 1974. Ranney, now CEO of Metropolis Strategies, thinks the RTA should be replaced.

(Keri Wiginton, Chicago Tribune / August 9, 2012)

By Richard Wronski, Chicago Tribune reporter

August 12, 2012

One of Chicago's most influential civic groups is calling for an end to the Regional Transportation Authority, saying the nearly 40-year-old agency is broken and should be merged with another.

The effort by Metropolis Strategies is spearheaded by the group's president and CEO, George Ranney, who said the relationship between the RTA and its subordinates — the CTA, Metra and Pace — is dysfunctional and ripe for a change.

"In Chicago, we've been content to go along with a transportation system that was once a real champion and now is in real danger of becoming derelict," said Ranney, who is widely credited with being the architect of the RTA when it was created in 1974.

Metropolis Strategies said it believes the agency is no longer the best overseer of the nation's third-largest transit system, which provides more than 2 million rides a day.

A better plan, the civic group proposes, would be to create a new entity by merging the RTA with the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning, a low-profile organization responsible for land use and transportation planning in northeastern Illinois.

The move would integrate regional planning and transit oversight, Metropolis Strategies said. It also would save at least $10 million a year, or about 20 percent of the agencies' combined budgets, by reducing overhead, administrative costs and duplicate functions, the group said.

"It's time to bring some fresh thinking to the transit issue," said Ranney, 72. "Continuing to ignore the problem as we are now ... is a road to disaster."

RTA Chairman John Gates Jr. disputes Metropolis Strategies' assessment. While describing longtime friend Ranney as thoughtful, Gates defends the RTA performance and dismisses a merger with CMAP as a "pie-in-the-sky idea."

"I'd love to cure cancer. I'd love to see Middle East peace. But (combining the agencies) doesn't really work as a practical matter," said Gates, who took over at the RTA in 2010 after a successful business career as co-founder of CenterPoint Properties Trust.

"Given the scale of what the RTA does, it would swamp what CMAP does, and probably lessen CMAP's effectiveness," he said.

A scathing critique

Independent experts don't appear to be sure, either. DePaul University transportation professor Joseph Schwieterman, who has written a book about the history of Chicago's planning efforts, said the RTA proposal raises issues of governmental efficiency, taxing power and political obstacles.

"This landscape is pretty complex," Schwieterman said. "But you could say it's worthwhile to explore all the options, given our region's problems."

Ranney said his goal is not simply to get rid of the RTA. Rather, he said, the region needs a new agency that can respond better to the challenge of shrinking transit use in the face of growing population.

Between 1980 and 2010, Metropolis Strategies said, the region's population has grown by 1.2 million, or 17 percent, to 8.3 million. Meanwhile, annual RTA system ridership has decreased by 20 percent, down 162 million annual rides to 652 million rides.

In 2007, Illinois Auditor General William Holland issued a scathing critique of the RTA, calling for an overhaul of the agency. The report cited a lack of leadership and oversight and feuding among the transit agencies, among other problems.

The Legislature responded in 2008 by enacting a new state law beefing up the RTA's powers while boosting its funding from sales taxes and Chicago's real estate property transfer tax.

A serious mismatch remains between what the law directs the RTA to do and its capacity to deliver, said Metropolis Strategies, conceding the agency has played a vital role over the years.

The RTA's Gates said the agency is exercising proper oversight, but acknowledged that integrating the three service boards into a regional system remains a challenge.

"In the DNA of all the service boards, there is a certain amount of mistrust of the others," he said. "This is something we have to overcome."

At RTA board meetings, directors representing the city and suburbs often split into factions favoring the CTA, Metra or Pace.

"That's a very good thing," Gates said. "If everybody sat there and sang 'Kumbaya' all the time, they'd probably be wasting a lot of assets and a lot of time. Now there's a very healthy competition for the scarce resources."

Political hurdles

CMAP is the federally designated metropolitan planning organization for the region. It is responsible for approving transportation funds, including money for the RTA's capital programs.

CMAP's chairman, Gerald Bennett, said the agency's directors discussed the Metropolis proposal at a board meeting in June but took no action.

"We want to know more details on what would be involved," said Bennett, the mayor of Palos Hills.

The agency has become a strong regional voice and a national model for sound planning in the past six years, Metropolis Strategies said. It hailed CMAP's work in adopting GO TO 2040, a comprehensive regional plan with a strong eye on transportation needs.

A merger would be smoothed by the fact the RTA and CMAP are virtually identical in their leadership and structure, the civic group said.

The boards of directors are appointed by the same elected city and county officials. Each board includes one-third of its members from Chicago, one-third from suburban Cook County, and one-third from the collar counties.

The civic group suggests the merger could take place in several steps, starting with legislation that would combine the staffs, then create a single new, nonpaid 15-member board.

Over the past several months, Ranney and other Metropolis Strategies executives, including Executive Director Frank Beal and Vice President James LaBelle have been quietly floating the idea with key legislators, county board chairmen, transit agency leaders and Gov. Pat Quinn.

Beal serves on CMAP's board, representing Chicago, and LaBelle sits on Metra's board of directors. Both said their support for the merger centers on improving overall transportation.

"The work I'm doing at Metropolis isn't on behalf of Metra," said LaBelle, who represents Lake County. "It's policy work I've been involved in for a long time."

Formerly known as Chicago Metropolis 2020, Metropolis Strategies also focuses on early education, housing and criminal justice issues. Sponsored by the Commercial Club of Chicago, its board of directors is a who's who of Chicago business, labor and civic leaders.

If the group's RTA proposal advances, it will be up to lawmakers in Springfield to make it happen. And the most powerful legislator, House Speaker Michael Madigan, has ties to both agencies.

Madigan's son-in-law, Jordan Matyas, is deputy executive director of the RTA; the speaker's son, Andrew, is a CMAP board member, representing Chicago.

Madigan's spokesman, Steve Brown, said Thursday that he was unaware of Metropolis Strategies' proposal and did not want to speculate about its chances.

Matyas said he believes legislators would find little merit in the plan because it would amount to moving an agency from one building to another, instead of improving the RTA's oversight efforts.

"This would not be helping the RTA, but it would certainly be hurting CMAP," Matyas said. "Springfield wants change, but this is not the change they are looking for."

House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie, D-Chicago, said that if the RTA has problems, those should be fixed rather than eliminating the agency.

"This is an idea whose time hasn't come," Currie said.

Nevertheless, Ranney and Metropolis Strategies said they hope the proposal sparks a public debate on the issue.

"If we don't do something, we will have a major economic problem in this region," he said. "The sad thing is we've got the bones of a very good transit system. We ought to be building on it."

Busy Bee Aug 13, 2012 3:01 PM

The chairman that would lose his job opposes the merger... imagine that.

This sounds like a proposal with a lot of promise. If regional transportation planning is combined w/ land use oversight we could be looking at the potential for actual sensible TOD development and a REAL integrated transit system.

CTA Gray Line Aug 17, 2012 5:16 AM

RTA Board Approves Innovative Projects that will Enhance the Customer Experience

http://www.rtachicago.com/press-rele...xperience.html

RTA Board Approves Innovative Projects that will Enhance the Customer Experience

The Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) Board of Directors approved today nearly $16 million for six projects that will make commuting easier and more efficient for transit riders.

The projects, funded through the use of a two-year RTA Innovation Coordination and Enhancement (ICE) program budget of $15.92 million, will be implemented by the Chicago Transit Authority, Metra and Pace to advance the vision and goals of the RTA’s regional priorities initiative of Enhancing the Customer Experience.

“The key objective of the ICE program is to provide a seamless and reliable commuting experience,” said Leanne Redden, Senior Deputy Executive Director, Planning. “These are high impact projects that can be quickly implemented and provide our customers with a more convenient trip on transit.”

The following ICE projects were approved:

Real Time Next-Bus Signs for shelters and key transit centers in Pace’s service area

Advanced Paging System at all 145 CTA train stations

CTA Customer Information Displays system-wide

Blue Island/Vermont Street interagency transfer signage improvements

Pilot/Demo Projects to Test New Regional Fare Solution Technologies for Metra

Regional Transit Fare System Program Management and Systems Integration for Metra

Most projects are slated to be implemented beginning late 2012 to early 2013. A full description of each project is attached.

The Innovation, Coordination, and Enhancement (ICE) program, established as part of the 2008 amendments to the RTA Act provides operating and/or capital funding for projects that provide cost-effective ways to enhance the coordination and integration of public transportation, and develop and implement innovations to improve the quality and delivery of public transportation.

The RTA previously approved funding for customer enhancements now in use including the CTA’s real time arrival signs on bus shelters that debuted last year and Metra’s Rail Time Tracker announced in June that provides riders with up-to-the-minute train schedule information through Metra's website and mobile devices. F

RTA Innovation, Coordination and Enhancement (ICE) Program of Projects

Real Time Signage – This project includes the purchase and installation of real-time next-bus signs for shelters and transit centers in Pace’s service area. The project will have an interagency coordination component on signs located at stops that serve CTA and/or Metra customers. Implementation expected to begin in late 2012/ early 2013.

Advanced Paging System – This project will support the CTA’s effort to implement a new technology that will upgrade paging at all 145 rail stations allowing staff to better communicate with customers. This technology will allow mass notification via the Public Address (PA) system and will display announcements directly to CTA’s Train Tracker signs.

This system meets ADA guidelines for providing written words so that hearing impaired riders are able to get information. Implementation expected to begin in late 2012 / early 2013.
Customer Information Displays – This project will support the CTA’s effort to install Digital Customer Information Displays and non-digital customer focused information throughout the system. Digital displays provide real time bus tracker and/or train tracker information as appropriate, system status updates and CTA customer alerts.

These are interspersed with paid advertisements, time and weather information. The paid advertisements support the operation of the displays and provide a source of revenue to CTA. Implementation expected to begin in late 2012 / early 2013.

Blue Island/Vermont Street Interagency Transfer Improvements – The Blue Island Vermont Street Station is a hub of interagency transfer activity between Metra, Pace, and CTA. Transit service in this station area is provided by four Pace bus routes (348, 349, 359, and 385), one CTA bus route (49A), and three Metra lines or branches (Metra Electric Blue Island Branch, Rock Island District Beverly Branch, and Rock Island District Main Line).

Improvements to the Blue Island, Vermont Street Interagency Transfer Station would include additional interagency signage at multiple locations, including both Metra stations. Implementation expected to begin in late 2012 / early 2013.

Pilot/Demo Projects to Test New Regional Fare Solution Technologies –

Early this year, Metra staff formed an internal Working Group and established a timeline for the implementation of a Regional Fare Solution required by the legislation adopted in 2008 (Illinois Public Act 097-0085).

This project will allow Metra to conduct various pilot/demo projects that will help Metra staff get a better understanding of what best fare payment solutions and technologies are available. Metra was awarded $880,000 in re-programmed ICE funding for this type of project in October 2010 but has yet to initiate it.

For that reason, only 2013 ICE funding (subject to appropriation) is proposed for this project. Implementation expected to begin in 2014.
Regional Transit Fare System Program Management and Systems Integration – This project will allow Metra to select a fare systems management team to serve in a program management oversight and systems integrator role.

This expert would have a strong background in implementing other transit fare technologies and/or systems at various transit peer agencies, relationships with the banking industry, and expertise in the various technologies that Metra is considering. Implementation expected to begin in late 2012 / early 2013.

ardecila Aug 17, 2012 5:52 AM

Morse Renovations

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7258/7...ded9237e_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7273/7...f354b308_z.jpg

denizen467 Aug 18, 2012 9:51 PM

^ That flickr page shows a massive amount of work done at the station. Makes it look like they practically did a whole north main rebuild there. So, hopefully there won't be duplication of work in a few years. At least the station portions need not be re-done - which would be the case as long as they decide to keep the 2-track elevated configuration, I hope.

Although in the Morse photos they do still have large platform signs pointing to an exit at Lunt Ave. After all these years I would've thought something could have been about that; the name always seemed a bit off to me...