SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

gymratmanaz Oct 22, 2012 2:07 AM

THANKS NICKW252!!!!!!!! Back on Phoenix!

Nice pics. Love seeing stuff going vertical!

Arquitect Oct 24, 2012 3:17 AM

News from azbex.com. Confirmation that Phoenix will indeed host the TV museum that was mentioned before on this thread.

http://azbex.com/phoenix-selected-fo...abilia-museum/

[QUOTE]
Downtown Phoenix is in the spotlight as the site for the Museum of Television. The vision of fan and former small screen writer James Comisar, the museum will be based upon his extensive collection of TV memorabilia.

The Museum of Television comes with a $35M price tag for the planned 50K SF building. The developer is scouting sites. Construction would need to start before the end of 2013 to be open within the targeted three years. Taking steps to keep the museum self-funded and generate donor interest, Comisar plans to open a preview center in the downtown area. A spring opening is planned for the 6.8K SF facility.

This would be second major museum built around a visionary’s personal collection. The Musical Instrument Museum (200K SF) on N. Tatum at E. Mayo Blvd. was born from Robert J. Ulrich’s personal instrument collection
[QUOTE]

HooverDam Oct 24, 2012 3:30 AM

^I'm likely going to be meeting w/ James Comisar next time he's in PHX (early November) and doing an interview/article about him/the TV Museum for BloomingRock.com

I know his first priority is getting a "preview center" open downtown. He needs 6-8K Sq feet to basically set up a mini museum to gain public interest, get the word out, etc.

Jjs5056 Oct 24, 2012 4:54 AM

Great news!

Maybe he could use something in the warehouse district, such as the Madison or St. James hotels? Oh, wait.

/sarcasm - has anyone done any more thinking on a possible location? Was he focusing on downtown proper or is midtown an option? Enjoyed hearing the arguments for and against having a dedicated museum district. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it would be awesome to have this anchor a 15-story residential tower on McDowell and Central, with a nice outdoor cafe to bring some life to that intersection. The PAM is nice and all, but so closed off - would love to see some activity in those empty/parking lots.

My company may be doing some work for PAM, so I went there last week- the views from the upper level were beautiful until you looked straight down to the CVS and surrounding lots. Sigh.

Back on topic, would anything near Heritage Square, Science Center and the Children's Museum work?

Phxguy Oct 24, 2012 7:13 AM

While I have 2 updates on smaller organic projects both rehabing buildings within the immediate vicinity of Hance Park, it isn't as wacko awesome as the television museum.
The first being a full-sized (vegan) grocery store right across from the Central Library. Although it needs funds raised I'd still love to see this concept develop and provide Downtown/Midtown with a grocery store. Although I hope this won't mean competition with the Phoenix Public Market or the new market on 3rd and Roosevelt.
http://www.indiegogo.com/vegco

Secondly is an update on the Canvas project. Someone mentioned ealier wondering what else was going into the building, well here you go!
http://downtowndevil.com/2012/10/22/...h-french-cafe/

HooverDam Oct 24, 2012 1:15 PM

^^^ Both of those developments sound awesome. I doubt I'd go to an all vegan grocery all that often, but having it right next to a Rail station would be terrific.

RE: The TV Museum, he wants to be in Downtown proper. He wants to be within walking distance to the Convention Center. The thinking is that Convention visitors who aren't renting cars don't have many entertainment options. This museum isn't going to be particularly large (only about 1/5th the size of the MIM), so its the sort of thing people can do on a break between meetings at a convention or whatever.

He also wants to be in an existing building, preferably something warehouse-y that can kind of feel like a TV sound stage. I'm not sure how much new construction he's willing to do. The problem with that is, there aren't a lot of 50K sq feet warehouses in Downtown. Once you head South of Lincoln there's plenty, but thats getting a bit far off the beaten/nice path.

This building I think most closely meets his needs. Its 43,500 sq feet, but it can be expanded and even have levels built on top of it. Its just South of the Madison/St James and would make an awesome gateway into the Warehouse district.

Other possibilities would include:

The Circles Discs and Tapes building: Its an awesome building, right on the LRT line, and would be great w/ 1st Fridays. But, its too small, only 36K sq feet. They'd have to expand by building a new 2 or 3 story structure on the parking lot just north of Circles and I don't know how much Comisar wants to get into new construction.

The Luhrs Central building. Its the lower scale white building just south of the Luhrs Building and Tower. A few years ago it was slated for demolition as part of the Hanji hotel project which never happened. We heard tales of it being structurally unsound and too expensive to rehab, but who knows how true that is. I'm not sure of the exact square footage, but it looks much bigger than the 1st building I posted.

Also possible would be the 2 red brick warehouses on 7th St. at Garfield. One is currently home to Core Crossfit, the old AJ Bayless building. The warehouse just South of it until recently had a florist in it, its now empty. The South warehouse is 7500 Sq feet, the north is about 10K I believe. So they'd have to do quite a bit of construction there and plop a new structure between the two existing structures on the parking lot. That currently empty warehouse may be a better place for the preview center than the larger full museum.

phoenixwillrise Oct 24, 2012 2:39 PM

Goldwater Library

I can't believe what I just read in the Republic about the location of this library.
They are saying that Goldwater's People wanted to build a 30 million dollar library in downtown Phoenix but that Phoenix insisted that they build two apartment buildings in order to build the library. If that statement is true one has to ask. Have these people lost their minds? Are you freaking kidding me? The Goldwater's people responded by saying that they were not in the apartment building business so they are going to build the library in Mesa. They need to find out who in the City of Phoenix made that decision and fire his ass today! Typical Phoenix blunder. Had someone connected the dots this library would have been a natural to hook up with the potential ASU Downtown Library. Another tremendous blunder and lost oppotunity.

PHX31 Oct 24, 2012 3:51 PM

If he wants to set something up temporarily, why not in the DeSoto building? That's probably about 6-8k ft^2 and right off of the light rail. Sounds like it would be 3 years before the actual building opened up, that would make for a nice tenant for the desoto building in the mean time. I'd like to think conventioners are well versed (or well schooled) in how to use light rail. It would make an easy 3 stop journey from the convention center to Roosevelt.

PHX31 Oct 24, 2012 3:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise (Post 5877817)
I can't believe what I just read in the Republic about the location of this library.
They are saying that Goldwater's People wanted to build a 30 million dollar library in downtown Phoenix but that Phoenix insisted that they build two apartment buildings in order to build the library. If that statement is true one has to ask. Have these people lost their minds? Are you freaking kidding me? The Goldwater's people responded by saying that they were not in the apartment building business so they are going to build the library in Mesa. They need to find out who in the City of Phoenix made that decision and fire his ass today! Typical Phoenix blunder. Had someone connected the dots this library would have been a natural to hook up with the potential ASU Downtown Library. Another tremendous blunder and lost oppotunity.

Does sound sucky, but maybe the Goldwater people wanted free land or tax breaks and the city wanted something more in order to give them those concessions. (?)

HooverDam Oct 24, 2012 4:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5877904)
If he wants to set something up temporarily, why not in the DeSoto building? That's probably about 6-8k ft^2 and right off of the light rail. Sounds like it would be 3 years before the actual building opened up, that would make for a nice tenant for the desoto building in the mean time. I'd like to think conventioners are well versed (or well schooled) in how to use light rail. It would make an easy 3 stop journey from the convention center to Roosevelt.

That would be a good one, but the roof is caving in, isn't it? I don't think he wants to spend a ton of $$$ fixing up a building he'll only be in for a few years.

Last I heard he's even holding onto the dream of trying to find free or near free rent for the Preview Center, but that seems unrealistic to me.

PHX31 Oct 24, 2012 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5877920)
That would be a good one, but the roof is caving in, isn't it? I don't think he wants to spend a ton of $$$ fixing up a building he'll only be in for a few years.

Last I heard he's even holding onto the dream of trying to find free or near free rent for the Preview Center, but that seems unrealistic to me.

I think it is currently being renovated by Motley Design Group... when is he going to want to open the Preview Center? Depending on the timing, it may be renovated by then. Free rent is pretty unlikely, however.

dtnphx Oct 24, 2012 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5877403)
^I'm likely going to be meeting w/ James Comisar next time he's in PHX (early November) and doing an interview/article about him/the TV Museum for BloomingRock.com

Hoover: Don't turn around, the Comisar's in town, oh wah ho!

phoenixheadphones Oct 24, 2012 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise (Post 5877817)

I disagree, this library seems more at home in Mesa. Im glad Phoenix stuck to its guns for once and and wanted an urban building with apartments. You know the library would be a closed off superblock development, that really wouldn't add anything to the downtown environment.

They want it to be 40,000 sq ft, and even if it has some lecture halls or whatever, most of the time it would just sit there.

Now if they want to put something like that in midtown...

On a side note, the development along Roosevelt with the new restaurants and apartments are all fantastic.

Vicelord John Oct 24, 2012 6:22 PM

agreed, phoenix should tell the goldwater institute to fuck itself.

I'd rather the city turn down 100 shitty projects in exchange for 1 good one, than to just continue to let people rape and ravage the city with garbage development.

Arquitect Oct 24, 2012 8:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5877732)
^^^ Both of those developments sound awesome. I doubt I'd go to an all vegan grocery all that often, but having it right next to a Rail station would be terrific.

RE: The TV Museum, he wants to be in Downtown proper. He wants to be within walking distance to the Convention Center. The thinking is that Convention visitors who aren't renting cars don't have many entertainment options. This museum isn't going to be particularly large (only about 1/5th the size of the MIM), so its the sort of thing people can do on a break between meetings at a convention or whatever.

He also wants to be in an existing building, preferably something warehouse-y that can kind of feel like a TV sound stage. I'm not sure how much new construction he's willing to do. The problem with that is, there aren't a lot of 50K sq feet warehouses in Downtown. Once you head South of Lincoln there's plenty, but thats getting a bit far off the beaten/nice path.

This building I think most closely meets his needs. Its 43,500 sq feet, but it can be expanded and even have levels built on top of it. Its just South of the Madison/St James and would make an awesome gateway into the Warehouse district.

Other possibilities would include:

The Circles Discs and Tapes building: Its an awesome building, right on the LRT line, and would be great w/ 1st Fridays. But, its too small, only 36K sq feet. They'd have to expand by building a new 2 or 3 story structure on the parking lot just north of Circles and I don't know how much Comisar wants to get into new construction.

The Luhrs Central building. Its the lower scale white building just south of the Luhrs Building and Tower. A few years ago it was slated for demolition as part of the Hanji hotel project which never happened. We heard tales of it being structurally unsound and too expensive to rehab, but who knows how true that is. I'm not sure of the exact square footage, but it looks much bigger than the 1st building I posted.

Also possible would be the 2 red brick warehouses on 7th St. at Garfield. One is currently home to Core Crossfit, the old AJ Bayless building. The warehouse just South of it until recently had a florist in it, its now empty. The South warehouse is 7500 Sq feet, the north is about 10K I believe. So they'd have to do quite a bit of construction there and plop a new structure between the two existing structures on the parking lot. That currently empty warehouse may be a better place for the preview center than the larger full museum.

I agree, the first building on Grant would be a great location. And I think him and Mr. Levine would make a great partnership. The structure of the building could easily handle at least two more floors, so we could end up with a mixed use project prehaps? Maybe have offices or condos over the museum. Or perhaps a really cool roof-top bar.

As for the Goldwater Library. We already have an awesome library close in the edge of downtown. And with the potential of ASU's future downtown library (if the law school moves, there will also be a law library component to the project), another library seems excessive. I think the city did the right thing. Downtown Mesa could use a large library within its downtown. And now that the lightrail will reach their center, it will be easily accessible. Plus, not trying to start a political storm, but Mesa does tend to be more conservative than central Phoenix, it makes sense for the library to be in a more conservative part of town.

ASUSunDevil Oct 24, 2012 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arquitect (Post 5878390)
I agree, the first building on Grant would be a great location. And I think him and Mr. Levine would make a great partnership. The structure of the building could easily handle at least two more floors, so we could end up with a mixed use project prehaps? Maybe have offices or condos over the museum. Or perhaps a really cool roof-top bar.

Great idea.

pbenjamin Oct 24, 2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5878169)
agreed, phoenix should tell the goldwater institute to fuck itself.

I'd rather the city turn down 100 shitty projects in exchange for 1 good one, than to just continue to let people rape and ravage the city with garbage development.

This has nothing to do with the Goldwater Institute, from what I can tell.

nickw252 Oct 24, 2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arquitect (Post 5878390)
As for the Goldwater Library. We already have an awesome library close in the edge of downtown. And with the potential of ASU's future downtown library (if the law school moves, there will also be a law library component to the project), another library seems excessive. I think the city did the right thing. Downtown Mesa could use a large library within its downtown. And now that the lightrail will reach their center, it will be easily accessible.

The Goldwater Library & Archives is not going to be a public library where you go to read periodicals, take out books/dvds/cds about whatever topic you want, and use public computers. It will be a Library and Archives containing items such as "The Papers of Senator Barry Goldwater," and other Goldwater exhibits and materials.

Thus, the Goldwater Library & Archives would not compete with the Burton Barr Library, nor will it bring a public library to downtown Mesa.

HooverDam Oct 25, 2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 5878638)
nor will it bring a public library to downtown Mesa.

FYI Downtown Mesa does have a library, its at 64 E 1st St, Mesa. But its easily forgettable, its pretty dull compared to the awesome libraries in Phoenix and other parts of the Valley.

There's really no way losing the Goldwater Library to Mesa can be spun as 'good for Downtown Phoenix'. Sure Mesa is a more conservative part of town, but Goldwaters brand of conservatism is nothing like the brand you find in Mesa today run by the 'Mormon mafia'. He hated religious folks taking over the political system, he was pro gays in the military, he was pro choice, et cetera. Today he'd be more of a Libertarian than anything.

Plus Goldwater was from Phoenix and got his start in politics on the Phoenix City Council. This has nothing to do with the crazy Goldwater institute that I can tell either, and while they use his name, their policies have gone well off the rails from what Barry stood for.

The library/archives would've been a nice compliment to ASU, and the growing education/cultural attractions in Downtown/Central PHX. I'm sure Mesa is thrilled to land it, it'll work well with the new branch college campuses they're attracting.

I just hope it wasn't Stantons administration that pushed for this nonsensical "you want to build an awesome library? Only if you build apartments!" thing.

HooverDam Oct 25, 2012 1:48 AM

RE: The Goldwater library:

This is an email I jut received from one of Stantons staffers. (the first question being answered with 'it was' was me asking "was this apartment scheme something pushed by the previous Mayoral staff?")

Quote:

It was. However I checked into it and the issue was the library wanted free city owned land in the business core and would build only one story. That doesn't make sense. The city offered to incorporate them into a larger development but didn't insist it build an apartment. Second, the library still is not funded and it wanted the land tied up now. Finally. With the exception of the Kennedy and Reagan libraries, even presidential libraries are economic duds. So it would have been a really poor choice to give away free some prime real estate for a one story development that would not bring economic activity.