SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

homebucket Feb 16, 2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 9192488)
Actually, the incidents in the Bay area and in Chicago are mostly just criminals doing what they do. They seem to love to target elderly Chinese people.

Of course it happened prior to the pandemic, but there's no denying the pandemic was another catalyst for increased racially motived crimes and xenophobic behavior against Asians. And it's not just criminals.

https://abc7news.com/tech-ceo-michae...cisco/6305099/

Quote:

The report, citing NYPD data, states that between Jan. 1 and Nov. 1, 2020, 24 coronavirus-related hate crimes were reported -- a crime category that did not exist in 2019. However, this number is eight times that of hate crimes reported against Asians in the same period the year prior to the start of the pandemic. The report goes on to say that in the first quarter of 2020, 23 arrests were made for racially motivated crimes -- 39.1 percent of which were of an anti-Asian bias nature, compared to 6.1 percent in 2019. In the third quarter, 19 hate crime arrests were made, with 20 percent being for anti-Asian crimes. The report also points out that the NYPD reported a decrease in hate crimes against other groups during the same time period.

Additionally, according to the study, between February and May 2020, the New York City Commission on Human Rights (NYCCHR) received reports of 389 coronavirus-related hate incidents. Of those, 145 involved anti-Asian sentiments, representing 37 percent of all complaints.

The study also touches upon online anti-Asian aggression, saying these hate incidents are underreported because the aggression is hate speech "as opposed to an attack on a particular individual," adding that "current online infrastructures do not track or regulate hate speech."

Historically, diseases and outbreaks have been used to rationalize racism in the past, the report reads: "Anti-Asian hate and violence are not new. Historically, diseases and outbreaks have been used to rationalize racism and xenophobia against Asian Americans and against other perceived “out” groups. Such racism and xenophobia is often caused by a confluence of factors, some of which has little to do with disease itself."
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...covid/2883215/

iheartthed Feb 16, 2021 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nito (Post 9191964)
Who said anything about one-year lockdowns, staying indoors forever or wanting a miserable existence?

When this threat emerged, the UK, US and countless other countries were complacent, ignorant and slow in treating the unfolding situation with the seriousness that it required. The lack of early effective action gave the virus a beachhead and successive failures have enabled it to spread, and worst of all, facilitated the virus to adapt into variants that have increased levels of transmission.

Exactly. The U.S., U.K., and much of Europe responded to the pandemic arrogantly in the beginning. The U.S. has pretty much been the poster child of what not to do at every step of the way, and it remains to be seen if the vaccine will bail us out of this situation. It has been a huge blow to the country's credibility. How will this country expect to lead other countries in the future when we were unable to adequately respond to the most urgent global disaster in a century?

the urban politician Feb 16, 2021 10:12 PM

^ :haha:

If some pissed off tech CEO suddenly went on a racist rant towards me, it would not only be weird, it would actually kind of make me laugh.

Seriously, I'm far more scared of somebody breaking into my house or trying to carjack one of my more expensive cars than being yelled at by some doofus tech CEO

Minato Ku Feb 16, 2021 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nito (Post 9191964)
Why wouldn’t we want to be like Australia? The death toll from Covid-19 in Australia is just north of 900; far lower than the daily tallies of many western nations, and new cases are limited to half a dozen a day. Australia got on top of this disaster, and therefore been able to return to a far greater level of normality. The pertinent question we should be asking of our governments and each other is why wouldn’t we want to replicate the actions of Australia to get back to normality!

There is a "slight" difference between Australia/New Zealand and European countries. Their geographical position. They are Islands and pretty removed from their surrounding countries.
A good thing in normal cases but also a bad things in case of a pandemic, European borders are open.European countires are interconnected.
Million of people cross it easily. You can't easily seal off european countries.

You should not forget the factor "luck" in a pandemic.
Remember that Italy was the first European country to close its border to China.
Italy was the first European country to establish a lockdown and yet...

jtown,man Feb 17, 2021 1:44 AM

The US and Europe didn't drop the ball, other countries just aren't testing or counting could-be-covid as Covid.

I looked at a map recently of weekly cases and many African countries are showing near zero.

Bullshit.

the urban politician Feb 17, 2021 2:11 AM

^ I think there is a culture of self-flagellation among developed Western Countries

“We’re bad! We’re not worthy! The East is wise and we are gluttonous fools!” It all started after The Karate Kid

chris08876 Feb 17, 2021 2:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 9192724)
The US and Europe didn't drop the ball, other countries just aren't testing or counting could-be-covid as Covid.

I looked at a map recently of weekly cases and many African countries are showing near zero.

Bullshit.

And than you have this...

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...0247f2174f.png

Totally believable! 100% credibility. No BS! Call in the next 20 minutes, and get not 1... but 2 data sets confirming this as true, for the low price of bull shit 99.

But in all seriousness, testing must be very bad. I find it hard to believe India's or Pakistan's numbers. China we all know they hide things and shove it under the mattress... but I do question other countries results.

Apparently Arkansas has had more cases than China and more deaths. Can you imagine? 1.4 billion folks, and a provincial rural state has more cases and deaths.

jtown,man Feb 17, 2021 2:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 9192765)
And than you have this...

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...0247f2174f.png

Totally believable! 100% credibility. No BS! Call in the next 20 minutes, and get not 1... but 2 data sets confirming this as true, for the low price of bull shit 99.

But in all seriousness, testing must be very bad. I find it hard to believe India's or Pakistan's numbers. China we all know they hide things and shove it under the mattress... but I do question other countries results.

Exactly. Or Nigeria. I recently watched a video of a dude driving his motorcycle in crowded Lagos. About 5% of people had masks on and it busy as heck.

chris08876 Feb 17, 2021 2:32 AM

Maybe the Malaria results in super immune systems. Assuming one lives to adult hood (tons of children die before 5), those folks are exposed to a lot of fun pathogens. Malaria (P. falciparum which is the worst one and is very common), Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Zika, Dengue, Rickettsioses, good old Tuberculosis... and many more.

It builds a strong immune system!

So Corona comes along, and it doesn't stand a chance. Needs to step its game up.

IDK... possibly folks in Africa have immune systems that see Corona as a mild hazard. Years of drinking unclean water will build solid immune system. Unless one gets HIV/AIDS, but point being, probally has an influence I bet.

Its also hot in those lands.

Now I'm not saying those numbers are true, as anybody with a cranium will tell you they are undercounted, but could be African heat and immunity might play a role.

dave8721 Feb 17, 2021 4:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 9192778)
Maybe the Malaria results in super immune systems. Assuming one lives to adult hood (tons of children die before 5), those folks are exposed to a lot of fun pathogens. Malaria (P. falciparum which is the worst one and is very common), Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Zika, Dengue, Rickettsioses, good old Tuberculosis... and many more.

So Corona comes along, and it doesn't stand a chance. Needs to step its game up.

IDK... possibly folks in Africa have immune systems that see Corona as a mild hazard. Years of drinking unclean water will build solid immune system. Unless one gets HIV/AIDS, but point being, probally has an influence I bet.

Now I'm not saying those numbers are true, as anybody with a cranium will tell you they are undercounted, but could be African heat and immunity might play a role.

They probably aren't spending much time in indoor climate-controlled-recycled air buildings either. Mostly though they don't have the medical system to be testing to see if they have many cases and probably aren't counting or testing much of the dead either in much of the 3rd world.

homebucket Feb 17, 2021 5:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minato Ku (Post 9192592)
There is a "slight" difference between Australia/New Zealand and European countries. Their geographical position. They are Islands and pretty removed from their surrounding countries.
A good thing in normal cases but also a bad things in case of a pandemic, European borders are open.European countires are interconnected.
Million of people cross it easily. You can't easily seal off european countries.

You should not forget the factor "luck" in a pandemic.
Remember that Italy was the first European country to close its border to China.
Italy was the first European country to establish a lockdown and yet...

Honest question. How do Australia and New Zealand conduct trade being island nations, while maintaining low case counts? Or are their borders completely closed and they're relying solely on their own domestic produce and goods.

homebucket Feb 17, 2021 5:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 9192765)
China we all know they hide things and shove it under the mattress... but I do question other countries results.

Apparently Arkansas has had more cases than China and more deaths. Can you imagine? 1.4 billion folks, and a provincial rural state has more cases and deaths.

Believe it or not, China's numbers are legit. You probably won't though because "CHiNa is bAd!!" I personally know people that live there and life is back to normal. No masks except at the doctor's office, banks, and grocery stores. No social distancing. The clubs in Wuhan are alive and poppin'. It was Chinese New Year recently, and people were hanging out like normal, visiting family and friends. You incorrectly assume that COVID cases are being hid under the mattress. In reality, it's all their red envelope stashes.

Yuri Feb 17, 2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

(...)

Yesterday, Amazonas state (4 million inh.) registered 10,000 deaths for Covid, given it a 2,500/1,000,000 death rate. Higher than Belgium, the same of New York and New Jersey states. On their pandemic peak, back in May and now once again in January, Manaus, the state capital, was registering 5x more deaths than usual. Keep in mind, Amazonas age average is much lower than Brazil's, which it's still itself a young country (33 y/o as 2020).

And here its weather chart: https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manaus#Clima. 2,300 mm of rainfall, humidity always above 80%, avg max 32C, avg min, 23C. It's on the banks of Amazon River, in the middle of the equatorial rainforest, unbearably humid and hot.

I don't think hot weather is a factor at all.

dc_denizen Feb 17, 2021 12:29 PM

It is odd . One would think the inhabitants of Manaus would be exposed to various tropical diseases too

10023 Feb 17, 2021 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9192897)
Believe it or not, China's numbers are legit. You probably won't though because "CHiNa is bAd!!" I personally know people that live there and life is back to normal. No masks except at the doctor's office, banks, and grocery stores. No social distancing. The clubs in Wuhan are alive and poppin'. It was Chinese New Year recently, and people were hanging out like normal, visiting family and friends. You incorrectly assume that COVID cases are being hid under the mattress. In reality, it's all their red envelope stashes.

The Chinese already had some immunity from exposure to similar viruses. It will come out eventually.

mrnyc Feb 17, 2021 3:58 PM

^ oh sure they do doctor larper. :rolleyes:

just a friendly reminder from the local yokels:

https://twitter.com/MichaelRapaport/...031254023?s=20

iheartthed Feb 17, 2021 4:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9192897)

Yeah, last summer I expressed skepticism in this thread of China's numbers suddenly leveling off, but it has to be legit. They appear to be mostly back to normal.

iheartthed Feb 17, 2021 4:07 PM

Looking at the Worldometers COVID numbers this morning I noticed that the U.S. is theoretically closer to infecting the entire country than any other large country in the world. Only a handful of small countries in central and eastern Europe have higher rates of infection per capita than us.

badrunner Feb 17, 2021 4:49 PM

Quote:

Africa has been spared mostly because they have a very young population. Their 75+ population is tiny compared to western countries. That alone would account for most of the difference, but there are other factors like low degree of personal mobility, less international travel, less globally integrated economy etc. I'm not saying the numbers coming out of Africa are entirely accurate, but there's no reason to believe that they're intentionally hiding anything either.

iheartthed Feb 17, 2021 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badrunner (Post 9193258)
Africa has been spared mostly because they have a very young population. Their 75+ population is tiny compared to western countries. That alone would account for most of the difference, but there are other factors like low degree of personal mobility, less international travel, less globally integrated economy etc. I'm not saying the numbers coming out of Africa are entirely accurate, but there's no reason to believe that they're intentionally hiding anything either.

African governments also have way more experience in dealing with epidemics and pandemics.