SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

jtown,man May 19, 2020 2:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 8926176)
IIRC the cross-country evidence from Sweden versus the other Scandinavian countries showed.

1. The overall reduction in activity was relatively similar, despite being entirely voluntary in Sweden.

2. Projected shrinkage of GDP across the countries is fundamentally identical.

3. Yet Sweden has a far higher death rate. Not as high as the worst-hit parts of the world like NYC, but higher than neighboring countries, or the U.S. as a whole.

The conclusion would suggest that the reduction in economic activity would happen regardless of whether social distancing was mandatory or voluntary.

Basically it very well may be the lessening of social distancing doesn't cause a "second wave." But the economy won't quickly recover either in that case.

I agree. All the places I've been visiting here in Arkansas seem to have less people than it would normally have, besides the Mexican restaurant we went to the first night I was here, we had to wait outside for 20 minutes to get a table(of course they are working at only 30% capacity). But as time goes on more and more people will venture out. Sweden has a headstart on most places. It will be interesting to see the unemployment rates in a place like Arkansas vs Illinois in a year's time. Does opening up two months earlier make a big difference in the increase in unemployment? We will see.

For people interested in data, we will have PLENTY to look at for a long time.

Qubert May 19, 2020 2:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriandrade (Post 8925856)
But I guess that's been the case everywhere.

Asia is pretty much completely reopened. Most of Europe, many places in Americas. At this point, we probably have much more people living in places reopened than in places with restrictions.

This is where my doubts come in: There is a certain segment of the media/political establishment that ever so subtly does not seem eager to see things reopen. It's not anything quantifiable, but when you read certain things it gives the impression that maybe there are people who genuinely don't see the importance of establishing some sort of economic normalcy or actively deride such concerns.

Yes, the protests are ridiculous and the refusal of many to wear masks out of "Freedom" strikes me as petulant. But there is a definite divide to this issue and it's sad to see so many take this situation in a partisan way.

mhays May 19, 2020 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8926253)
I hear you. I don't give a poop about cases though. It means literally nothing. I only care about hospitalization and deaths.

But the political narrative is quite different. The Illinois governor is acting like if ONE business opens up before he deems them ready, people will DIE. This hyperbolic language is literally their 'go-to' answer to questions the media ask of them. But, let's say 70% of the economy is shut down and then another 20% is allowed open. Even if these businesses see only 50% of their usual business, this is still a good case study to compare to places that are still in a strict lockdown, right?

I mean, we are told people will die if businesses open back up, period. If this isn't the case, we certainly shouldn't ignore that. Even CNN is conceding the Georgia and Florida case and they had a doctor on last night that stated wearing a mask while riding a bike is completely unneeded. I understand why politicians would want to prove lockdowns work, they are the ones who decided that. It's human nature to want to be right(look on this forum lol). But as casual observers, if a place like Georgia opens up, and it's been open now for almost a month, and things are getting better, this throws a wrench in the stick lockdown narrative. It doesn't mean its scientific proof, of course, but it should get us questioning some things.

Letting one company off the hook would release a flood of others. That's the point of examples.

Cases lead to other cases which lead to death. Cases matter. Policy-makers know that. If cases don't matter, a pandemic can become endemic...that's how you get several times the deaths.

Deaths are a very lagging indicator of a new policy. It's not even the first-generation infections after the change, but also the second, third, etc. To the extent a state like Georgia reopens, it risks this compounding effect. Since it's reopening slowly (since people are more cautious than the State) and with partial measures in place, it might be guessed that cases and deaths will increase slowly.

But meanwhile deaths have plummeted in the original hotspots...the goal shouldn't be to plateau but to drop cases and deaths way down.

mhays May 19, 2020 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8926233)
I don’t think I know more than the experts, but I recognise their biases and priorities. It’s not their knowledge but their view of the trade offs that I am questioning.

Someone like Neil Ferguson knows an awful lot about epidemiology (although his models have always been wrong and erred significantly on the side of more negative scenarios). But that doesn’t mean he should decide public policy, that preventing as many deaths as possible regardless of other costs should be the objective, and so on. Not to mention he’s enjoyed the media attention (at least until recently).

Doctors have as their priority, perhaps only priority, the saving of lives. That’s good and admirable in a doctor. Policymakers have other things to consider. Just because an expert in virology and epidemiology says that the way to minimise the loss of life is to keep society “locked down”, with social distancing, no non-essential travel, no restaurants or bars, no large gatherings, and so on until there is a vaccine does not mean that is the right course of action - even if they are correct that this will save lives.

That's why policy-makers make policy, and health agencies advise. I give them a pass for using blunt objects for a while, because finely-tuned approaches can be impossible in a short time, to implement and for the public to understand. In recent weeks, governors (like WA/OR) have been gradually rolling out updated policies that are largely about reopening things with a finer grain. This is also due to the effective shutdowns that have reduced our numbers...Washington was the initial #1 outbreak, and is now half the average aggregate death rate in the US, while Oregon has avoided a major outbreak at all.

The pain to workers, companies, museums, etc., is another topic. We could bail them out for months, far more effectively than we have. As discussed above somewhere, even three months of heavy bailouts would be cheap compared to the packages we've gotten.

While there are many legit issues beyond that, such as mental health, childhood social development, and so on, enjoyment isn't a priority and shouldn't be.

xzmattzx May 19, 2020 3:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoninATX (Post 8926086)
Honestly from what I've been told by hotel staff in Austin is that more people are starting to come. Alot of hotels occupancy is around 50% or more. Up from 20% last month.

But Austin is open, whereas the Northeast US is not (yet). Do you know if hotels are asking for evidence of essential travel? Is non-essential travel allowed down there right now?

the urban politician May 19, 2020 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8926233)
I don’t think I know more than the experts, but I recognise their biases and priorities. It’s not their knowledge but their view of the trade offs that I am questioning.

Someone like Neil Ferguson knows an awful lot about epidemiology (although his models have always been wrong and erred significantly on the side of more negative scenarios). But that doesn’t mean he should decide public policy, that preventing as many deaths as possible regardless of other costs should be the objective, and so on. Not to mention he’s enjoyed the media attention (at least until recently).

Doctors have as their priority, perhaps only priority, the saving of lives. That’s good and admirable in a doctor. Policymakers have other things to consider. Just because an expert in virology and epidemiology says that the way to minimise the loss of life is to keep society “locked down”, with social distancing, no non-essential travel, no restaurants or bars, no large gatherings, and so on until there is a vaccine does not mean that is the right course of action - even if they are correct that this will save lives.

Ding ding ding ding ding! Exactly. Best post of this thread, IMO

I say little around here because you’ve pretty much echoed my sentiments on this issue.

And as many people know around here, I am a doctor and I am talking to my patients about Covid-19 every day. But public policy makers (Governors, Mayors) have a much greater responsibility that. They cannot just listen to the doctors and public health experts (we don’t all even agree with each other). They have to vigorously defend their local economies, citizen’s rights, etc etc. It does seem rather lazy that some Governors have essentially passed off all of their decision making to their local public health expert, as if there aren’t a bigillion other factors that warrant consideration.

the urban politician May 19, 2020 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8926367)

The pain to workers, companies, museums, etc., is another topic. We could bail them out for months, far more effectively than we have. As discussed above somewhere, even three months of heavy bailouts would be cheap compared to the packages we've gotten.

The problem with your point here is, just as the lockdowns have been “blunt objects”, so have been the bail outs.

Many, many, many people or businesses just didn’t fulfill the “criteria” and haven’t gotten the support they need in this troubling time to avoid shutdown or bankruptcy. The proof is in the pudding—look at how people are responding. They don’t feel economically secure, like, AT ALL.

mhays May 19, 2020 7:26 PM

Yes, I've made the same point about the bailouts.

For starters, maybe everyone with a low/average income should have gotten an aid check in April, which they did. But the next one should be based on need. It should help keep people afloat, rather than only trying to stimulate spending.

There's no easy answer on the business side. It gets political...states trying to act responsibly should be aided by the federal government, not discouraged as a way to get them to open too early.

10023 May 19, 2020 7:39 PM

Quote:

While there are many legit issues beyond that, such as mental health, childhood social development, and so on, enjoyment isn't a priority and shouldn't be.

Speak for yourself. (And it’s also essential to mental health)

Anyway it’s a red herring. The things I can enjoy right now, like going to the park and getting some sun, are largely free. The things I enjoy that I can’t do right now generally cost money. One man’s enjoyment is another’s livelihood, and the leisure, entertainment, hospitality and travel sectors employ tens of millions, perhaps hundreds of millions of people globally.

And frankly I’m more concerned about restaurants dying (and not coming back for some time) than some additional 80-somethings. This shouldn’t surprise anyone.

10023 May 19, 2020 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8926689)
Yes, I've made the same point about the bailouts.

For starters, maybe everyone with a low/average income should have gotten an aid check in April, which they did. But the next one should be based on need. It should help keep people afloat, rather than only trying to stimulate spending.

There's no easy answer on the business side. It gets political...states trying to act responsibly should be aided by the federal government, not discouraged as a way to get them to open too early.

Keeping people afloat isn’t good enough.

People that don’t qualify based on need are still being impacted financially. Plans to buy homes, plans to start families, all of these things are being disrupted by the economic damage caused by the lockdowns.

It’s time to open up, even if it costs some percentage increase in deaths. The only justification for the lockdown is the “structural” one related to health care system capacity.

chris08876 May 19, 2020 7:48 PM

Cuomo Press Conference: Today

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...1dc9f5032.jpeg

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...37cfc6090.jpeg

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...3bf6addfc.jpeg

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...d23371ddf.jpeg

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...688f1a785.jpeg

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...4b61a7e0a.jpeg

Handro May 19, 2020 8:16 PM

Quote:

That's why policy-makers make policy, and health agencies advise. I give them a pass for using blunt objects for a while, because finely-tuned approaches can be impossible in a short time, to implement and for the public to understand. In recent weeks, governors (like WA/OR) have been gradually rolling out updated policies that are largely about reopening things with a finer grain. This is also due to the effective shutdowns that have reduced our numbers...Washington was the initial #1 outbreak, and is now half the average aggregate death rate in the US, while Oregon has avoided a major outbreak at all.

Exactly. a political leader is told hospitals are about to overrun and citizens are going to be dying by the thousands because of a new disease about which scientists know nothing, I think shutting everything down for a short period and attempting to mitigate the economic impacts is the only responsible course of action. Unfortunately, what would already be an extremely delicate balance of policy priorities has been made nearly impossible because certain political leaders have decided it is in their personal interest to oppose literally everything being done about the crisis, even if it means directly contradicting themselves several times over.

If you think just telling citizens to wash their hands and social distance is enough, then you're not paying attention. Even two months into the worst of it, some buffoons still refuse to take even basic measures of decency toward the health of their neighbors. Try getting people to social distance overnight.

Yuri May 19, 2020 10:44 PM

Brazil has crossed today the 1,000 daily deaths barrier. First country aside the US to reach this terrible mark.

1,179 deaths were registered in the country today, 324 in São Paulo state, most of them in the metro area, but growth upstate has been faster for the past two weeks.

SteveD May 19, 2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriandrade (Post 8926901)
Brazil crossed the 1,000 deaths barrier. First country aside the US to reach this terrible mark.

1,179 deaths were registered in the country today, 324 in São Paulo state, most of them in the metro area, but growth upstate has been faster for the past two weeks.

yes I just noticed that...this refers to 1,000 or more deaths in a single day for those wondering...

Brazil's President when asked to comment on the country's rising death toll: "so what??"

Yuri May 19, 2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 8926903)
yes I just noticed that...this refers to 1,000 or more deaths in a single day for those wondering...

Brazil's President when asked to comment on the country's rising death toll: "so what??"

Yes, I edited the comment as it was ambiguous. Bolsonaro said that on 28th April, when Brazil had reached 6,000 deaths. 19th May, and now we have 18,000 deaths.

In the mean time he made the second Ministry of Health to resign, the one he chose after been jealous of the former. And every weekend, he keeps attending the far right demonstrations in Brasília and attacking state governors and mayors.

mhays May 19, 2020 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8926702)
Speak for yourself. (And it’s also essential to mental health)

Anyway it’s a red herring. The things I can enjoy right now, like going to the park and getting some sun, are largely free. The things I enjoy that I can’t do right now generally cost money. One man’s enjoyment is another’s livelihood, and the leisure, entertainment, hospitality and travel sectors employ tens of millions, perhaps hundreds of millions of people globally.

And frankly I’m more concerned about restaurants dying (and not coming back for some time) than some additional 80-somethings. This shouldn’t surprise anyone.

So, you're worried about:
--Economic outcomes, which we could bail out if we wanted to
--Some other consequences that we're agreeing on, like mental health
--Enjoyment

We can figure out the first. The second is a big challenge but much can happen without reopening most things. The third (enjoyment) isn't worth killing hundreds of thousands for in the US alone.

10023 May 20, 2020 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8926954)
So, you're worried about:
--Economic outcomes, which we could bail out if we wanted to
--Some other consequences that we're agreeing on, like mental health
--Enjoyment

We can figure out the first. The second is a big challenge but much can happen without reopening most things. The third (enjoyment) isn't worth killing hundreds of thousands for in the US alone.

Who is “we”? Do you think there’s a magic money tree? What a completely economically illiterate argument.

I am not receiving anything to make up for the large drop in income that I will experience this year, next year and probably into the future. And my taxes will go up to pay for the “bail outs” of individuals and businesses.

Enjoyment is mental health, and your argument on that point is non-existent.

We know this virus overwhelmingly kills the very old who are already in poor health. Those deaths have lower cost, economic and otherwise, than other deaths. And saving a life is not something we do at any cost anyway.

mhays May 20, 2020 1:16 AM

Much of my point is that we could have spent the existing bailouts better. But we can certainly afford more, to a point.

Your business could have been (and could be) aided like the others.

As for quality of life and what a death is worth, I suspect you're not convincing the majority here.

the urban politician May 20, 2020 2:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8927034)
Much of my point is that we could have spent the existing bailouts better. But we can certainly afford more, to a point.

Your business could have been (and could be) aided like the others.

I can’t believe you’re defending keeping everybody locked out of earning a living and being 100% dependent on a Government that already missed the mark in their last bailouts with the argument of “gee, don’t worry they’ll get the next one right”

You’re missing the entire point. There is no such thing as a bailout for a collapsed economy that you’re forcing to stay closed. People don’t want to live in Cold War era Poland or present day North Korea, dude. Those places suck.

mhays May 20, 2020 5:55 AM

Wow, comparing this to "Cold War era Poland or present day North Korea"!