SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | NEMA Chicago | 896 FT | 81 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218570)

gebs Jul 10, 2018 1:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8246434)
I still think a twin would go perfect there as long is it was taller. Something about that corner cries for a flat edge over a curved building to box in the park. Either way I have a feeling we will get a fourth tower sooner than later after GP1 is completed. On this cycle, fingers crossed.

If Crescent is building with the same audacity as Onni or CMK, then yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we see site prep start soon after this one tops out. I was surprised to see Old Town II go up so quickly, and Southbank seems to want to continue its forward progress as well.

nomarandlee Jul 10, 2018 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8245904)
Mr. Mayor. ....cover those tracks.

Seriously. No need for a $400million effort like Millenium but it hopefully something can be done in the next 10 years.

.....This building is turning out a good deal nicer than I anticipated so far.

Steely Dan Jul 10, 2018 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarWind (Post 8246163)
July 9, 2018

my grandfather, who passed away 12 years ago, spent all 89 years of his life in chicago.

i think he would struggle to recognize that pic as his lifetime hometown.

great shot!

Zerton Jul 10, 2018 8:18 PM

This is looking fantastic. Saw it in person yesterday. I kind of like the raw concrete... I think it might look better unpainted.

HomrQT Jul 11, 2018 2:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8246985)
my grandfather, who passed away 12 years ago, spent all 89 years of his life in chicago.

i think he would struggle to recognize that pic as his lifetime hometown.

great shot!

A sad thought I've had from time to time is that I won't know what the Chicago skyline will look like 250 years from now.

AlpacaObsessor Jul 11, 2018 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8247493)
A sad thought I've had from time to time is that I won't know what the Chicago skyline will look like 250 years from now.

I have the exact same thought sometimes. Then I console myself by remembering we're probably the last generation to live that won't have to deal with any of the serious consequences of global warming and I feel just a little less bummed out.

KWillChicago Jul 11, 2018 5:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 8246972)
Seriously. No need for a $400million effort like Millenium but it hopefully something can be done in the next 10 years.

.....This building is turning out a good deal nicer than I anticipated so far.

Any idea what the cost would be? All I could think of is riverpoint and 150 but obviously those are much more complex and expensive than just a park over it.

The Lurker Jul 11, 2018 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor (Post 8247522)
I have the exact same thought sometimes. Then I console myself by remembering we're probably the last generation to live that won't have to deal with any of the serious consequences of global warming and I feel just a little less bummed out.

No consolation for people who have kids! Chicago will be spared the (most serious) consequenses of global warming so it actually stands to benefit in a really dark way when people start saying fuck the coast. But I believe in ghosts, and will spend most of my afterlife hovering above the cities, so it doesnt make a difference to me

maru2501 Jul 11, 2018 8:08 PM

I have started to play the game recently with all the development of looking around wherever I am and, knowing where various vacant lots are, deciding whether that view could improve markedly during the next 20 years or so. Increasingly, the answer is no, as different areas get mostly built out. Depends on where you are

Pioneer Jul 11, 2018 9:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarWind (Post 8246163)
July 9, 2018

I would surmise that once this cycle of construction is complete, that the South Loop alone will be among the top 20 skylines (height, density) in the U.S.

Steely Dan Jul 11, 2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer (Post 8248361)
I would surmise that once this cycle of construction is complete, that the South Loop alone will be among the top 20 skylines (height, density) in the U.S.

if 1000M can pop in this cycle as well, then the south loop by itself would be the 2nd tallest skyline in the midwest, going by top end height.

the current #2 in terms of top-end height would be minneapolis with its triumvirate of near-800 footers (though minneapolis would still have more overall skyline bulk).

Cleveland's 948' key tower (only 888' when negating the spire) would still be taller than anything in either skyline, but OGP II will hopefully surpass that mark some day.

left of center Jul 11, 2018 11:07 PM

The South Loop alone is far denser than most sun belt downtowns as it is. Even if it isn't as tall or bulky as say Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc, I'd wager that it would definitely be the most urban and impressive from a pedestrian standpoint.

Really, in the US only a dozen or so cities on the east and west coast and a select few in the Midwest could really rival the South Loop. Crown it! :cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8248372)
Cleveland's 948' key tower (only 888' when negating the spire) would still be taller than anything in either skyline, but OGP II will hopefully surpass that mark some day.

IIRC, the Vinoly tower at Michigan and Roosevelt was to be marginally taller than OGP/NEMA. Maybe around 935' or so. Since we mostly likely aren't going to get the Vinoly design for the 2nd tower anyhow, hopefully whatever design they go with bumps up the height to 950-1000'.

Bombardier Jul 13, 2018 11:14 AM

They mocked up the paint on a section of the north elevation recently. Very white! I think it will look good on day 1, but curious to see how it will look over time.

Kumdogmillionaire Jul 13, 2018 2:42 PM

Exactly my thoughts on the paint. It'll be a watch and wait game

Knightwing Jul 13, 2018 8:27 PM

Has the height on this tower changed? It appears from the rendering that there should be approximately 8-9 floors after the last setback before the tall floor.

Based on the image below, there are only 4 floors between the last setback until the tall floor.

https://preview.ibb.co/jJFa6o/vinoly3_1.pnghttps://preview.ibb.co/dccPXT/Vinoly3_2.png

Anyone have an idea as to what's going on?

Rooster slayer Jul 13, 2018 10:15 PM

^^^^ interesting catch. The other steps seem to match but you're right, that tall part/exposed column area is starting at a a different part than the render.

Hawkeyes10 Jul 13, 2018 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8226343)
Renderings from the 1000M sales center, which include NEMA and Essex. This rendering includes a version of NEMA that I hadn't seen, which includes decorative greenery on all the balconies. While I understand that greenery is appealing, it detracts a bit from the building's bulk. But that's just me.

https://i.imgur.com/g5BWEo9h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eAIVUtSh.jpg

This looks like an updated rendering that matches.

UPChicago Jul 13, 2018 10:42 PM

I wouldn't use a rendering from another developer for any sort of reference...

harryc Jul 14, 2018 1:25 AM

June 20

June 29

Crime against Urbanity

Making use of the evil shadow.

Kumdogmillionaire Jul 14, 2018 4:02 AM

So are we looking at a substantially shorter tower now? Possibly more like 800ft instead of close to 900? Booooooooo