SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

PHX31 Oct 9, 2013 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 6296286)
http://downtowndevil.com/2013/10/09/...-use-building/

This is just what we need for that block of downtown, hopefully someone will come up with a design that's both mixed, dense, and to a height that's suitable. 20 floors anyone?

WTF? Didn't they just renovate it? And didn't this forum "tell them" it was a waste and they should put something more substantial there?

HX_Guy Oct 9, 2013 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6296556)
WTF? Didn't they just renovate it? And didn't this forum "tell them" it was a waste and they should put something more substantial there?

Yep, and I think they spent $2.3 Million off the top of my head.

nickw252 Oct 9, 2013 5:10 PM

Yes, but keep in mind the renovation really only involved putting up new shade structures with solar panels. Also, any new structure wouldn't start to be developed until years down the road so it's not like they'll be tearing up the new shade structures right after they were finished.

dtnphx Oct 9, 2013 5:53 PM

Whoever "chooses" to be the occupant of that proposed building where people at the transit station are encouraged to use would have to keep in mind the homeless, mentally-ill and criminal population that is drawn to the transit station along with regular commuters. That's an urban reality that would have to be considered. You wouldn't want law firm workers have to step past someone defecating in the lobby. No one want's to encounter a Cleveland Steamer on their way to work. ;)

nickw252 Oct 9, 2013 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 6296859)
Whoever "chooses" to be the occupant of that proposed building where people at the transit station are encouraged to use would have to keep in mind the homeless, mentally-ill and criminal population that is drawn to the transit station along with regular commuters. That's an urban reality that would have to be considered. You wouldn't want law firm workers have to step past someone defecating in the lobby. No one want's to encounter a Cleveland Steamer on their way to work. ;)

I think having full time residents there may actually cut down on transients and bad acts. That being said, I think they'd have to cater to young people and/or students who want an urban environment. You're definitely not going to get suburbanites flocking to live at a bus station.

phxSUNSfan Oct 10, 2013 1:05 AM

Someone posted a link to San Fran's Transbay Transit Center plan on the Downtown Devil page. The first phase includes a 5 story transit center (2 underground) but at build-out would include residential and office towers totaling 7 new highrises. Would be nice if Phoenix could get a "mini-Transbay Center".

http://transbaycenter.org/project/program-overview

HooverDam Oct 10, 2013 1:58 AM

That parcel is SO important, we have to make sure the ball doesn't get dropped on this or the design fucked up.

While its obviously important to keep Central Station in existence in the short run, in the long run, thats not an appropriate place for it. It's too small, plus more importantly it doesn't have any ability to connect to heavier rail like Union Station does. In the long run it seems obvious the Central Bus Station will be moved to where Union Station is and interact with it in some way.

With that in mind, we can't spend more resources permanently building a transit center on this spot. A flexible design is key.

Considering this is City owned land, they need to bend over backwards with as many sweetheart deals as they can. GPLETs, giveaways, whatever. Van Buren and Central are the 2 streets that could realistically have substantial amounts of retail on them and become Downtown shopping streets.

Does anyone have that handy dandy map with the height restrictions? I always think "I need to save this" but never remember to. That parcel would be a great spot for a new tallest. Again, thats something the City can try to push for with enough sweetheart deals.

I'm pretty certain that lot could be built to 500'+, but just wanted to confirm. Something a bit taller and more slender than Chase would be amazing.

phxSUNSfan Oct 10, 2013 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 6297637)
Does anyone have that handy dandy map with the height restrictions? I always think "I need to save this" but never remember to. That parcel would be a great spot for a new tallest. Again, thats something the City can try to push for with enough sweetheart deals.

I'm pretty certain that lot could be built to 500'+, but just wanted to confirm. Something a bit taller and more slender than Chase would be amazing.

I am mostly agreeing with you, however, the city will maintain the development as a transit center. That wouldn't be hard to do if the building included bus only access and underground "bus stalls". In addition it will remain a light rail station so it would have to incorporate all of these parts into one which would make a fantastic centerpiece for downtown. I can also see Union Station becoming a transit center of its own in the future with more rail options. Central Station won't be going away and it is just too convenient to get rid of it.

HX_Guy Oct 10, 2013 2:21 AM

Looks like 511' would be the maximum height for that spot (assuming it's 1089' above sea level like most of downtown in that area)

http://i42.tinypic.com/2vwuy4w.jpg

HX_Guy Oct 10, 2013 2:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6296394)
Does anyone know if the Hotel Monroe sale went through? The sale was supposed to close by mid-September.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n....html?page=all

Didn't close but they got an extension, so still possible. Can't believe it's been so hard to get a deal done on that place.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ther-snag.html

Hotel Monroe sale hits another snag, but bidders look for November close

Mike Sunnucks
Senior Reporter-
Phoenix Business Journal

A deal to sell the long-vacant, historic Hotel Monroe building in downtown Phoenix has been delayed — again. But the current deal is not dead and could still close in November.
A group of buyers from San Diego along with Phoenix infill developer Ed Gorman and his firm, Modus Development, were supposed to close on downtown building late last month. That did not happen but the buyers have paid for an extension.
“The buyer deposited significant non-refundable earnest money in exchange for delaying the closing date to November 22nd. Let’s see if it actually closes this time,” said Mark Winkleman, COO of ML Manager LLC.
That receivership company has been selling off assets held my Mortgages Ltd. The commercial lender filed for bankruptcy protection after its CEO Scott Coles committed suicide in 2008.
ML Manager has owned and has been trying to sell the 82-year-old Monroe building at the corner of Central Avenue and Monroe Street since foreclosing on Grace Communities in 2010.
Grace Communities bought the Art Deco building in 2007 via a $27 million loan from Mortgages Ltd. with plans to development a hotel.
Several other bids to buy the building from ML Manager have also not come to fruition.
The San Diego/Modus bid via a company called Grasshopper One LLC emerged in July with an initial closing date of Sept. 23. Grasshopper One wants to develop the Monroe building into a 150-room boutique hotel
The 13-story 157,000-square foot building was built in 1931 and was long called the Professional Building and was home to Valley Bank & Trust Co. It is on the National Register of Historic Places but has sat empty and exposed to the elements after the Grace foreclosure and some unsuccessful attempts to sell it.

NorthScottsdale Oct 10, 2013 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 6296859)

This is a reality in any city center. I think that people who venture downtown pretty much expect transients and a bit of grit, or they should expect it.

dtnphx Oct 10, 2013 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthScottsdale (Post 6298272)
This is a reality in any city center. I think that people who venture downtown pretty much expect transients and a bit of grit, or they should expect it.

You're absolutely right and I too expect those things. Let's hope that it doesn't deter developers who don't have a grand vision of the space.

Sepstein Oct 11, 2013 1:23 AM

Does anyone know what the height restriction are north of Fillmore? Could we get a 1000 footer on that lot next too the westward ho? That would be amazing!

soleri Oct 11, 2013 2:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sepstein (Post 6298975)
Does anyone know what the height restriction are north of Fillmore? Could we get a 1000 footer on that lot next too the westward ho? That would be amazing!

Why not a 2000 footer?

HooverDam Oct 11, 2013 6:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sepstein (Post 6298975)

It, sensibly, steps down north of Fillmore as that area transitions into neighborhoods. The tallest available height limit is over on Van Buren near 7th Ave so about 611' would be the tallest possible. Unfortunately, we've never seen any demand for buildings being anywhere near any of the height limits.

It'll be a miracle to get a 500', so lets put the wishing for 1000' on hold.

Sepstein Oct 11, 2013 7:29 PM

Well I am pretty sure the height limit is higher north of Fillmore! Anyone know for sure?

HooverDam Oct 11, 2013 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sepstein (Post 6299963)
Well I am pretty sure the height limit is higher north of Fillmore! Anyone know for sure?

Like I said, no its not. See here, page 17:

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int..._pdf_00344.pdf

phxSUNSfan Oct 11, 2013 9:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 6299986)
Like I said, no its not. See here, page 17:

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int..._pdf_00344.pdf

There is a 700 foot height limit just north of Fillmore. Proposed Height Regulating Plan would lower it to 483'. Technically, Phoenix and the FAA can still offer variances for taller buildings north of Van Buren, from pg. 12:
Quote:

Greater building heights may be allowed in some zones through height waivers as approved by City Council...
Before the Savings and Loan Debacle, a "world's tallest building" was proposed for Central and Roosevelt. It would have been taller than the Willis (Sears) Tower in Chicago.

combusean Oct 11, 2013 10:56 PM

I highly doubt that a well-funded proposal from a reputable developer would run into the "soft" height limits north of Fillmore outside the domain of the airport if the FAA didn't declare it a hazard.

The problem with supertall construction in Phoenix is that developers in Phoenix typically build structures to be sold not too much later on. A true supertall is a building to own for a long, long time and is a significant investment into a community, not something that can easily be walked away from. These require a whole new caliber of developers that Phoenix hasn't seen since 1971 with the construction of the Valley National Bank/Chase Tower.

michael85225 Oct 12, 2013 12:28 AM

People already think Ohlahoma City's skyline looks odd. I'd imagine people thinking ours would be bizarre if we had a supertall chilling all by itself right outside downtown. I'm not saying I'm against the idea or anything though.:D

Sepstein Oct 12, 2013 1:55 AM

But eventually if we had a super tall there , in time midtown and downtown will merge with highrises and it could right in the middle! Wouldn't that be nice

Sepstein Oct 12, 2013 1:59 AM

To ever have a great skyline we need a signature REAL HiGHRISE tower to offset all are 350 footers! Preferably more than one! It will happen one day I guarantee it this whole FAA high restriction is so BS! Have you ever flown into Vegas or NYC!

Jjs5056 Oct 13, 2013 12:59 AM

I have a client meeting every week near VB and 10th Ave and try to take different scenic routes each time; I noticed this week that the bike lanes on Grand Ave have been painted a bright green.

Looks like this is part of a $450,000 improvement plan from the city that will also include planters, lane reduction, and on-street parking. I left a rather nasty comment, as I am not pleased with the tone of the article - it goes from talking about street improvements to mentioning strip clubs and homeless shelters that are admittedly further west?
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...nd-avenue.html

I am completely unfamiliar with Grand Ave. I know a while back, Phoenix won a grant (something like "greening America's capitals") to improve the area; has that work been completed? If not, is there a timetable or plans that I can review? Seeing how the city has let so many amazing areas decay on a weekly basis during my drive has really started to piss me off, so I really hope they're taking advantage of whatever they had been given as a result of that program.

I hope the on-street parking helps the businesses in the area - though, from what I have seen, there seem to be plenty of lots unfortunately - and maybe can convince those with a say to finally say okay to including it in the Roosevelt streetscape plan?

Given my unfamiliarity, can someone provide a brief review of the area? I have the opportunity to write blogs for a tourism entity that plays a heavy hand in promoting the state, so I would love to give some love to this part of town.
- What defines "lower" Grand Ave?
- What are some of the must-see businesses? Any on the way?
- Is parking free in the empty lots as we await on-street additions
- Is it an everyday, weekend, or First Fridays type of destination?

It's really a shame how cut off this area is from the heart of downtown; so close, yet so far. Given the popularity of First Fridays and the attention it receives, I wish the city would realize the potential of the event to give the city a national identity and pour some resources into developing a plan to connect the two.
1) The insane intersection of 7th/Grand/Van Buren - what can possibly be done here? The discussion on narrowing 7th has been hashed out to death and the consensus is that it will never happen. Would painting lines on the street to better defined the crosswalks do anything? What about shade structures?
2) Signage - Could additional signage be created to make it clearer that Lower Grand is a defined district and part of the arts scene? I have always thought Roosevelt needed a large sign extending over the street like in California's many neighborhoods, so something like that on both make it clear that each is a trendy, arts-focused area.
3) Light-posts/Street Signs/Other Markers - What if the street-lights, or street-signs were either changed out or modified so each district had its own 'branding' for lack of better word? The simplest would be the inclusion of fabric flags/posters with 'ARTS DISTRICT' ; this doesn't have to be citywide, it could simply be used to unify the arts area... but, with the government/capital district so close, I thought it might be able to go further.
5) A.R.T.S Program - I believe that is the name of the program started to fill lots with temporary uses; is Lower Grand part of this program? How does a lot get identified and/or selected? Have you heard any ideas from local businesses, or have ideas of your own?

Thanks and sorry if any of these could be answer via search; I read that article after seeing the lanes yesterday and just started thinking.

Jjs5056 Oct 13, 2013 1:44 AM

Great news for those concerned about the shrinking heights of the new projects in the northern part of downtown. An 8-story PARKING GARAGE is coming to 5th and Fillmore soon.

http://azbex.com/phoenix-biomedical-...arking-garage/

I think it's time to plan a move. It's exhausting to continually think of ways to make this place better and then have the City itself just not give a shit.

There is apparently another Biomed building going up near TGEN, but who cares?

Phxguy Oct 15, 2013 9:12 AM

http://downtowndevil.com/2013/10/15/...ntown-phoenix/
I'm afraid the unmentioned ground-floor retail will be filled in with blank walls on three sides of the lot. Not to mention, 6 stories is too short for that lot. I hope that 17 story housing tower goes through with plans.

nickw252 Oct 15, 2013 2:31 PM

Double post

nickw252 Oct 15, 2013 2:34 PM

Quote:

Ryan Walker, an ASU public service and policy junior who has considered pursuing a law degree, was skeptical about the cost of the project.

“They’re just trying to move locations to expand and attract students.” Walker said. “It’s logical, but they couldn’t do it for any cheaper? That’s going to have to be a pretty high-tech building.”

Walker also said he didn’t see the need for a new building if the previous one remained functional.

“Unless they’re overcrowded in that building in Tempe and they don’t have a sufficient amount of resources to keep it running, then maybe I would say to move it or open up a second branch,” Walker said. “But if there’s nothing broken then what are you fixing?”
Ryan Walker sure sounds like a forward thinking person with well reasoned opinions. What makes him think he's qualified to decide what a 250,000 sq ft building should cost to build? :koko:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 6302791)
I hope that 17 story housing tower goes through with plans.

What 17 floor building are you talking about?

westbev93 Oct 15, 2013 8:50 PM

I thought part of the plan with the law school was to take it private (at least, that's what Dean Sylvester has been telling the alumni) so that the law school would no longer be stuck with our state constitutional provisions governing the cost of public tuition and that it remain as close to free as possible. If they take the law school private, is it really a public building any more? It doesn't ultimately matter for development purposes, but it undermines some of the questions raised in the article.

As a graduate of ASU's law school, I find the most offensive part of that article to be the statement that ASU's law grads will be competing with grads of the Phoenix School of Law for jobs. That is patently ridiculous. ASU is a tier 1 law school (ranked #29). Phoenix School of Law isn't ranked at all. Part of the reason that so many new law grads are unemployed (based on NALP's numbers) is the fact that for-profit institutions like PSL are pumping out graduates who had little to no business going to law school in the first place. When my firm has looked at new hires, I can assure you that the PSL candidates are much lower on the list for interviews than an ASU grad.

From a development standpoint, the law school is a great addition. Law students keep much different hours than undergrad students, which should add to the activity in that part of town at night. Also, that Ryan Walker kid, while considering law school as an option, has apparently never visited Armstrong Hall because that place is a dump. I also don't know how you would open a second branch like he suggests. The first years all have to be in the same location because they all take the same classes together at the same time. I guess you could move the second or third years, but I don't imagine the professors would be too keen on traveling between branches to teach classes each day.

Jjs5056 Oct 16, 2013 3:27 AM

After all the hype, this thing will end up the same size as Walter Cronkite. Nestled in the middle of dorms and other classrooms, and without mention of any component that would be of use to community residents, this will do little more than fill an ASU/ self-made parking lot.

Oh well, I'm sure the 8 story garage on Fillmore will block most sight line.

phxSUNSfan Oct 16, 2013 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westbev93 (Post 6303434)
I thought part of the plan with the law school was to take it private (at least, that's what Dean Sylvester has been telling the alumni) so that the law school would no longer be stuck with our state constitutional provisions governing the cost of public tuition and that it remain as close to free as possible. If they take the law school private, is it really a public building any more? It doesn't ultimately matter for development purposes, but it undermines some of the questions raised in the article.

A public university cannot "go private" instead ASU is considering severing direct state funding to make the law school self-sufficient. That means it will use donated funds, endowments and higher tuition rates to cover costs. ASU has been considering this option for a few of their graduate programs because the state, over the years, has been cutting funding for higher ed and research.

phxSUNSfan Oct 16, 2013 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6303862)
After all the hype, this thing will end up the same size as Walter Cronkite. Nestled in the middle of dorms and other classrooms, and without mention of any component that would be of use to community residents, this will do little more than fill an ASU/ self-made parking lot.

Oh well, I'm sure the 8 story garage on Fillmore will block most sight line.

I like the size and design of the new law building in downtown. It is a well designed mid-rise and will have room for a taller residential component.

What I do not like is the large garage at the Biomed Campus that will match the one across the street at the Arizona Center. They really need, at the very least, to build underground structures to deal with the parking situation. What I have noticed however, is that many of these medical centers across the country (even in Manhattan) require large parking in order to accommodate the number of visitors, many of whom must drive. It is still a shame they can't bury this thing and build a tower on top.

kingchef Oct 16, 2013 9:09 PM

forgive me for jumping in, but i got a kick out of your comment and the one above. this sounds so much like memphis, the king of the 14-16 story buildings. the work, about 2 billion dollars, on the bioscience park downtown has some of the highest buildings at 8, 6, and 4 stories. one did make it to "tower" status, when they rehabbed a building at 21 stories. now, they are readying to build a series of 4 "towers", but no details about ht. the same is true w/ st. jude, which is building a 7 story proton beam building, the only one in the world for a children's research facility, however, it has actually surpassed the 7 story mark, and it is approaching above 14 stories. last word was that it would ultimately be 19 stories, but still it would be noted as 7 stories. it doesn't matter the ht in ground to roof. several other projects are underway, which are similar to that above. memphis is 700,000+ in the city proper. the county is considerably above the 1 million mark, but it looks about like a city of 200,000, if you are judging the downtown business district. the dual core at poplar and I-240 has almost as big a central business district as downtown. it is discouraging, when you have these silly ht limits. our main airport is 12 miles from the central business district. you should look at the business parks that are literally scattered all over the perimeter that take up 60 to hundreds of acres. they are nice looking; however, they should have been built downtown and built as skyscrapers. memphis has some very beautiful buildings, and it has done a fabulous job at placing buildings on the NHR; however, we are in desperate need of significant ht downtown. that gets everyone's attention, especially corporate headquarters. consequently, i surely understand your frustration. if you can shame the civic leaders in to clearing the way to build, let us know. again, liked the comments. i wrote an article recently about the very comments you and the poster above you wrote. i commented that memphis had built so many 14-16 story buildings that downtown was beginning to take on the form of a concrete block. it will take several significant rising skyscrapers to get out of the present form, especially, since memphis has so few recent, if any, latest photos of the city. the new lebonheur---another anomaly re: ht---is 12 stories, but it is 251 ft in ht. although completed in dec. of 2010, their is no current professional photos published, which is another problem w/ memphis. bill cobb does beautiful work in urban photos, however, i think the latest photos of anything in memphis is of one building in 2007. i need to recheck phoenix, before i say anything about it. phxflyer11 is correct about the faa and its' power to regulate or inhibit the ht of a proposed building. they are allowed to recommend and petition both the governmental bodies involved, e.g. metro, city, county, state governments. however, the liability would fall on the governmental bodies that allowed the building, and ultimately, a ripe claim for neglience on behalf of those who were injured or lost their lives, in addition to civil liability, etc. most government bodies, such as city commissions, county councilman, and the like would not position themselves in such a way as to open themselves, the city, county, and others to liability.

FitnessPower Oct 17, 2013 5:51 PM

I was checking out the Austin page... It left me pretty envious, especially this quote "It's amazing to see that Austin now has 21 tower cranes"

Maybe some day that will be PHX!

Camelback28 Oct 17, 2013 9:05 PM

Latest on Hotel Monroe:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ic-buyers.html

nickw252 Oct 18, 2013 3:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback28 (Post 6306439)

Please make it so. That's too nice of a building to sit empty.

Phxguy Oct 18, 2013 4:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6302925)

What 17 floor building are you talking about?

In the original plans for the Law School and I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere on the ASU development thread, the possibility of a 17 story student tower atop the school was there. Maybe I'm confusing facts with fantasy but it was mentioned on this forum.

nickw252 Oct 18, 2013 5:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 6306951)
In the original plans for the Law School and I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere on the ASU development thread, the possibility of a 17 story student tower atop the school was there. Maybe I'm confusing facts with fantasy but it was mentioned on this forum.

I think there was a Plan for a second Taylor Place tower. I don't remember seeing any plans for student housing being built with the law school though. Either way I don't think there are any current concrete plans for more student housing. Maybe soon though with Taylor Place being overbooked earlier this year and the rapid growth of the downtown campus.

plinko Oct 18, 2013 8:40 PM

Shot these last night on the flight from HOU-LAX. Not great, but the best I could do with the lens I had available to me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...HOU-LAX007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...HOU-LAX016.jpg

Uggghhh...Photobucket pixelated the hell out of them...

HX_Guy Oct 20, 2013 3:53 AM

Phoenix spending $560,000 on First Street face-lift, more storefronts sought

Mike Sunnucks
Senior Reporter-
Phoenix Business Journal

The city of Phoenix is spending $560,000 on street improvements, decorative sidewalks, new trees and pedestrian-friendly upgrades along First Street in downtown Phoenix.

Downtown business owners, hoteliers and restaurants are also talking to the city about other improvements along First Street as a way to link Arizona State University’s downtown campus with CityScape, US Airways Center and the Phoenix Convention Center.

Tom Delaney, general manager of the Hyatt Regency Phoenix at First and Adams streets, said business owners and the city are kicking around a number of ideas.

“The goal is to make it more pedestrian friendly,” Delaney said.
He said there could be more storefronts and restaurant spaces developed along First Street, especially in between Washington and Monroe streets.
There has been some talk of closing at least part of Adams Street near the convention center and Hyatt to make it into a pedestrian mall.
Delaney said that idea is less likely to happen, but there is consensus to perhaps close other downtown streets for special events. “We’re really brainstorming ideas,” he said.

Ideas include narrowing First Street and putting in decorative sidewalks, crosswalks and landscaping to give the area a pedestrian-friendly feel.
Delaney said another goal is to make the downtown area more inviting for convention attendees and tourists.

The First Street road and sidewalk improvements are running from Washington Street to Moreland Street. City spokesman Matthew Heil said the first wave of street improvements will be done by Oct. 25.

That projects echo the $450,000 the city has spent on improvements, bike lanes and narrowing of Grand Avenue just west of downtown.
Delaney said business owners and city planners are looking at downtown development efforts in Denver and San Antonio to get ideas for making First Street into a more vibrant area.

The street connects to US Airways Center and CityScape to the south and ASU to the north. It is already home to a number of restaurants and cuts in between the Hyatt and Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel.

Popular Glendale restaurant, La Piazza al Forno, has recently opened on a new downtown location on First Street and Cartel Coffee Lab moved into a large space in the same building at First and Washington streets. Cartel will expand its hours later this month to stay open later in the evening. The cafe has also started to serve a beer and wine.

That follows up on Duck and Decanter’s First Street location also serving beer and wine and staying open into the evening. Downtown Phoenix for years has been dogged by the reputation of being a ghost town after the workday ends, and a number of downtown restaurants still close before dusk.

Several of CityScape’s restaurants — which stay open at night — sit on the First Street side of the development.

However, there are some empty storefronts and underused blocks on the downtown stretch of First Street. The Burger King restaurant at First and Washington streets closed recently, as did another franchise location near Arrowhead Town Center in Glendale. The Matador Restaurant space has been vacant since it closed last year after a fire and revelations of the ownership’s financial troubles.

Delaney said what to do with the former Mexican restaurant space is part of the greater discussions about First Street. He said the space could be divided up into more than one tenant.

Like other parts of downtown, improvement efforts will have to deal with so-called dead blocks that abut parking garages or sides of buildings without storefronts, as well as homeless transients and panhandlers who populate the area during the day.

Heil said the city is trying some new ideas as part of the current street improvements.

“Large-format original local artwork will also be mounted on the south and west face of the Hyatt Regency Hotel,” he said.
The project will also be Phoenix’s first foray into something call a parklet.
“This project will install Phoenix’s first parklet at Matt’s Big Breakfast on First Street and Garfield Street,” Heil said. “A parklet is a platform constructed within an on-street parking space to provide an area for people to sit and relax.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n....html?page=all

HX_Guy Oct 20, 2013 3:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plinko (Post 6307870)
Shot these last night on the flight from HOU-LAX. Not great, but the best I could do with the lens I had available to me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...HOU-LAX007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...HOU-LAX016.jpg

Uggghhh...Photobucket pixelated the hell out of them...

Nice pics Plinko! What's the bright stuff on the left side, the State Fair?

HooverDam Oct 21, 2013 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 6309035)
Nice pics Plinko! What's the bright stuff on the left side, the State Fair?

Yep. Then the dark spot to the right of that is the Fairview Place historic neighborhood, then there's another bright blob which is the Encanto Park fields and playground area.The huge darkness above that is the Encanto Park golf courses.

I met with the City Economic Development Department on Friday re: Central Station.I was curious to find out if they're shooting for something more akin to Tempe's Transit Center, or something more like a private development tower, that also allows buses to move around it, its the latter, so hooray!

We talked about how down the line, if commuter and inter city rail ever happen, the City will have to re-acquire Union Station and consolidate bus and rail service down there. They repeatedly talked about going "as tall as the FAA will allow us" there in their dream scenario, of course that will require someone to fill a lot of office space. We also discussed how its a pretty large parcel and 2 towers might be best on that lot, which they agreed, but we'll have to see whats proposed by developers.

But...at least the City is thinking and dreaming the right sort of stuff.

gymratmanaz Oct 21, 2013 4:00 PM

That is great news Hoover! Nice research and info.

As you said, now we need someone to propose and build it. great that it is a goal and not just a desire for just anything.

NIXPHX77 Oct 22, 2013 6:27 AM

Welcome downtownslcresident! I hope by now you are a downtownphxresident! ; )

NIXPHX77 Oct 22, 2013 6:28 AM

Great job on going to the source Hoover! Thanks!

HX_Guy Oct 22, 2013 11:27 PM

The Vig expands with new downtown Phoenix restaurant

The group behind the Vig has brought its neighborhood hangout to Fillmore Street in downtown Phoenix.

The Vig Fillmore operates out of an historic home on the northwest corner of 4th Avenue and Fillmore Street at 606 N. Fourth Ave. Phoenix-based Genuine Concepts renovated the house, which was built in 1914 by a prominent Phoenix family in the cattle business. The space includes a dining area of approximately 2,000 square feet under roof with an outdoor patio that includes the Vig’s signature bocce ball court as well as a fireplace.

Bringing the Vig downtown was an idea that percolated for more than a year in the minds of Tucker Woodbury, who opened concert venue the Crescent Ballroom downtown two years ago. On his way to and from the Crescent, he’d pass the house at Fourth and Fillmore.

“I kept thinking, ‘This would be a really great spot for a restaurant,’” he said. “We started talking about it and fell in love with the building.”

Believing that the downtown area lacked an offering such as the Vig, Woodbury and his partners decided to pull the trigger. The restaurant has been open since early September and has slowly been picking up business from the surrounding neighborhood.

“People have been waiting for a long time,” Woodbury said.

Woodbury’s restaurant group, Genuine Concepts, spent approximately $1.7 million on the project, he said, adding much of the high price tag was because of some issues they ran into renovating the nearly 100-year-old home, which is on the National Register of Historic Places.

“It’s always interesting when you get into adaptive reuse projects like this one,” Woodbury said. “There’s always things that are unforeseen. We had some surprises that added a considerable amount to the build-out cost. But we believe the final product is worth it.”

The Vig Fillmore employs about 40 people and offers lunch and dinner during the week and brunch and dinner on the weekends.

Genuine Concepts also operates the Little Woody and the Western bars in Phoenix and Scottsdale, respectively. Two Vig locations are in Arcadia on 40th Street and uptown on 16th Street. A fourth Vig is planned for north Scottsdale.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b....html?page=all

nickw252 Oct 23, 2013 2:24 PM

I went to the Hance Dog Park last weekend and was pleasantly surprised. It had a street presence from both 3rd and 5th Avenues and was very attractively landscaped. It had stone walls around most of it, had nice larger freshly planted trees, and nice water fountains for people and dogs. Most important though, it was packed.

dtnphx Oct 25, 2013 5:51 PM

:tup: Good news - Seems as though Panera Bread is going in the strip center on the SEC of Thomas and Central. Too bad I don't eat carbs.

Application #:
ZA-330-13-4 (Sign)
Existing Zoning:
C-2 HRI TOD-1
Quarter Section:
14-28(G8)
Proposal:
Variance to increase the maximum letter/logo height to 22 inches on the north and west elevations. Maximum letter height is 12 inches.
Ordinance Sections:
662.K.1.b.
Applicant:
Brian Schrock, Panera Bread
Representative:
Sheila Glover, Naturalite Neon
Owner:
GM Central, LLC c/o Lawrence and Geyser Development

pbenjamin Oct 25, 2013 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 6315701)
:tup: Good news - Seems as though Panera Bread is going in the strip center on the SEC of Thomas and Central. Too bad I don't eat carbs.

Application #:
ZA-330-13-4 (Sign)
Existing Zoning:
C-2 HRI TOD-1
Quarter Section:
14-28(G8)
Proposal:
Variance to increase the maximum letter/logo height to 22 inches on the north and west elevations. Maximum letter height is 12 inches.
Ordinance Sections:
662.K.1.b.
Applicant:
Brian Schrock, Panera Bread
Representative:
Sheila Glover, Naturalite Neon
Owner:
GM Central, LLC c/o Lawrence and Geyser Development

Panera doesn't have any Phoenix locations but owns Paradise Bakery. I wonder which it will actually be.

dtnphx Oct 25, 2013 11:43 PM

Panera doesn't have any Phoenix locations but owns Paradise Bakery.

There is a Panera Bread on Tatum Blvd. in Phoenix.

I wonder which it will actually be.

The public notice says Panera Bread.

:shrug:

PHXflyer Oct 26, 2013 1:23 AM

Will be interesting to see. A friend of mine who works in the Collier Center recently told me that Paradise is closing that location and moving to Central and Thomas