SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Don B. Dec 22, 2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 5101235)
Yes, it's been converted into a detox facility focusing on treating delusional Phoenix area hotel employees who project racist diatribes against minorities with drinking problems while pretending one's own drinking problem is somewhat cool and edgy. Should be a success. :tup:

LMAO...

--don

bwonger06 Dec 29, 2010 5:48 PM

Quote:

Phoenix picks site for Southwest AIDS center
Phoenix Business Journal - by Angela Gonzales
Date: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 9:00am MST
Related:
Health Care

City of Phoenix officials are negotiating to buy the recently vacated KPNX-TV Channel 12 building on Central Avenue, with plans to lease it for $1 a year to the Southwest Center for HIV/AIDS.

Read more: Phoenix picks site for Southwest AIDS center | Phoenix Business Journal
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ds-center.html

NorthScottsdale Dec 29, 2010 6:49 PM

Chateau on Central in Phoenix open for homebuyersby Emily Gersema - Dec. 29, 2010 09:52 AM
The Arizona Republic

The brownstone development, Chateau on Central, at Palm Lane and Central Avenue this month opened to buyers again after months of construction led by the developer, MSI West Investments.

See photos

MSI West Investments bought the property this year for $7 million after efforts to sort out the bankruptcy of Mortgages Ltd.

Information: Joe Morales, 602-399-5626 or visit chateauoncentral.com

Luxury homes

The 21 homes in this development are three stories and include a basement or wine cellar. They also include high-end amenities such as granite countertops, elevators and terraces.

Price point

Most homes include about 5,200 square feet of space, but one home has up to 8,200 square feet.

These luxury homes were originally priced at more than $2.8 million, but since MSI West Investments bought and has worked on finishing the homes, the price has been slashed in half to about $1.4 million.

Home business

The homes, which are near the Phoenix Art Museum and Heard Museum, are made for mixed-use. This designation allows owners to operate offices or businesses in the homes.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz19WncCdIk

Don B. Dec 29, 2010 7:04 PM

$1.4 million is still too high, especially when you can buy a lot of house in Phoenix for far less than that right now.

The median price of single-family homes in Phoenix has dropped to $112,000, and for condos it is $79,000. This means if you bumped your price point up to, say, $200,000 to $300,000, you could get a really nice place in central Phoenix fairly close to downtown, and not be 25 miles from anywhere.

In fact, you could buy a pretty nice place in San Diego or Los Angeles for half of that right now.

--don

bwonger06 Dec 29, 2010 7:14 PM

Luxury high density living is still a hard sell in the core Phoenix area.

One Lexington for example is still trying to unload its biggest penthouse (they are building out the other couple right now). At $900k, and 2900 SF, it is one heck of a deal. I don't think downtown can support many units over $500k and think Cheateux should of looked at breaking each building into smaller units.

On the otherhand, the cheaper (150k-250k) one and two bed room places are getting snatched up quickly.

Vicelord John Dec 29, 2010 9:09 PM

Where I am right now it is still 700k+ for a small home.

HooverDam Dec 29, 2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwonger06 (Post 5108130)

This is actually pretty bad news for any hopes of Hance Park ever being successful. The SW AIDS Center should be a part of the BioMedical campus, that would make sense. Instead they're going to keep an anti urban fortress of a building standing that blocks off Hance Park from the Light Rail and the rest of the City.

Hance's only chance for success is to flatten that building and create a new main focal entry to the park. Additionally since you can't add much weight to the deck part of the park, it would be one of the few places you could actually add structures like a bike/transit center, coffee shops, eateries, etc.

Of course I've told numerous people in the parks department and the new Hance Park conservancy this, but of course they won't listen.

In brighter news...

Quote:

Downtown Phoenix Jamaican restaurant to open rum bar

3 comments by Emily Gersema - Dec. 29, 2010 10:41 AM
The Arizona Republic

A downtown Jamaican restaurant is preparing for the grand opening of its rum bar.

The Breadfruit Jamaican Grill at 108 E. Pierce St. recently held a soft opening for Phoenix's first-known rum bar.

The rum-bar extension of the intimate restaurant has a rustic Caribbean feel, featuring tables made from supply crates turned upside down, homemade bar stools and more than 60 rums. Co-owner Dwayne Allen says it reminds him of his home in Jamaica, where rum bars remain a community gathering place. Allen and co-owner Danielle Leoni still have about 40 rums on order but believe they'll receive them by their 5 p.m. grand opening on Jan. 23.

BREADFRUIT

Allen and Leoni opened the restaurant more than a year ago. It was an opportunity for Allen to introduce Phoenix diners to Caribbean dishes such as Jamaican grilled, jerk-style prawns, and curried chicken with dumplings, and desserts such as sweet-potato pudding and a parfait made with Madagascar vanilla ice cream.

RUM BAR

Allen says most bars in his native Jamaica are known as rum bars because years ago, that was the only liquor available on the island. He says the rum bars tend to look rustic and weathered, which is why he and Leoni adopted a similar look for their bar. They transformed century-old barn doors salvaged from a Midwestern farm into shelves and created beer-bottle pendulum lights.

MAKING RUM

This drink is made from sugar-cane byproducts, such as the juice or molasses. Historians believe that the first rums were developed in India. The first Caribbean rums were made by slaves in the 17th century, and then British colonists began selling it. Allen says the flavors for each rum vary according to whether juice or molasses is used, and how it is processed.

108 RUMS

This is the number of imported rums that Leoni and Allen have chosen to offer at their bar. They chose it because it is a multiple of three - symbolic of fundamental principles in Daoist philosophy. The couple have had to hunt for importers to bring the unique brands to Arizona. Their menu features rums primarily from Central and South America

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz19XeUdQvA

RTD Dec 29, 2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don B. (Post 5108228)

The median price of single-family homes in Phoenix has dropped to $112,000, and for condos it is $79,000. This means if you bumped your price point up to, say, $200,000 to $300,000, you could get a really nice place in central Phoenix fairly close to downtown, and not be 25 miles from anywhere.

In fact, you could buy a pretty nice place in San Diego or Los Angeles for half of that right now.

--don

Man, I wish Canada had these kinds of pricepoints for houses and condos, especially in the downtown area. If I had the dough, and was an American citizen, I would invest in a decent property immediately.

combusean Dec 30, 2010 7:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5108432)
This is actually pretty bad news for any hopes of Hance Park ever being successful. The SW AIDS Center should be a part of the BioMedical campus, that would make sense. Instead they're going to keep an anti urban fortress of a building standing that blocks off Hance Park from the Light Rail and the rest of the City.

I disagree. The proposed use is perfect for their clientele because disability and HIV and lower incomes go hand in hand. Being next to a transit stop is good--nothing in the biomedical core is.

The building sucks, but it still stands, and you can't say that for any proposed space in the biomedical core over there which wouldn't be as optimal for their clientele. I would rather see an existing human services foundation fill it up for the time being.

Quote:

Hance's only chance for success is to flatten that building and create a new main focal entry to the park. Additionally since you can't add much weight to the deck part of the park, it would be one of the few places you could actually add structures like a bike/transit center, coffee shops, eateries, etc.
There are a bunch of places around Hance Park that would contribute to its vitality if developed. Everything around Hance is a freaking wasteland.

Quote:

Of course I've told numerous people in the parks department and the new Hance Park conservancy this, but of course they won't listen.
The conversation could focus on how this building can be temporarily retrofitted to have more of a pedestrian presence. I think it would be awesome, if for example the fences around the first-level garage could be demolished and it could be a shaded pedestrian art and performance space on First Fridays.

HooverDam Dec 30, 2010 8:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 5108827)
I disagree. The proposed use is perfect for their clientele because disability and HIV and lower incomes go hand in hand. Being next to a transit stop is good--nothing in the biomedical core is.

The building sucks, but it still stands, and you can't say that for any proposed space in the biomedical core over there which wouldn't be as optimal for their clientele. I would rather see an existing human services foundation fill it up for the time being.

The entire BioMedical campus is within an easy walking distance of LRT (4 blocks from 2 different stations). Part of using public transit is taking the train, then walking somewhere. If 4 blocks is asking too much of people, then what's the point? And isn't the whole idea of the BioMedical campus to group a lot of those sorts of uses together so various people can work together, interact, create a synergy and whatever other buzz words you want to use?

The last thing Hance needs is more low income, sickly people loitering about frightening off other people. Magellan Health Services is thankfully gone, so that'll help a bit I hope. Hance Park has become Phoenix's 2nd skid row (after the Human/Health Serivces campus- and at least that makes sense) and businesses that cater to the low income, sickly, etc. aren't going to help change that.

Quote:

There are a bunch of places around Hance Park that would contribute to its vitality if developed. Everything around Hance is a freaking wasteland.

Indeed there are, however this plot is key because of the potential interaction with a Light Rail stop. As it is, Hance Park is invisible. Get off at Roosevelt and Central and you'd never know the "park" exists, you can't see it!

Quote:

The conversation could focus on how this building can be temporarily retrofitted to have more of a pedestrian presence. I think it would be awesome, if for example the fences around the first-level garage could be demolished and it could be a shaded pedestrian art and performance space on First Fridays.

That would be better than nothing, however I imagine its unlikely due to the AIDS Center worrying about liability.

I hope I don't come across like a prickly ass, but I've seen both the City and the Hance Park Conservancies initial plans/ideas to spruce up the park and they're so far off its ridiculous. They're not thinking nearly big enough to save that Park which has a lot going against it.

HooverDam Dec 31, 2010 1:52 AM

Quote:

Phoenix lifts CamelSquare's zoning restrictions

4 comments by Sadie Jo Smokey - Dec. 30, 2010 02:19 PM
The Arizona Republic

The Phoenix City Council has voted to strip zoning restrictions from the northwest corner of 44th Street and Camelback Road.

It means a developer could build taller buildings on the CamelSquare site as early as February. Building heights, currently capped at two stories, or 36 feet, could increase to four stories, or 56 feet, thus increasing the density on the four parcels from 300,000 square feet to more than a million square feet.

Paul Barnes, an Arcadia resident and neighborhood activist, said neighbors of the 17-acre property are disheartened by the vote, and others should pay attention.

Compromises between property owners, developers and neighborhoods can be undone through the unusual stipulation modification process, Barnes said. In one vote, multiple stipulations that protected this Arcadia neighborhood for more than 40 years were erased, Barnes said.

An effort to collect signatures to force the council to reconsider its decision or put the matter before the voters in August is unlikely, Barnes said.

"Getting enough signatures for a referendum is tough," Barnes said. "I don't know that they would try to get signatures for four parcels."

The council also approved a new stipulation establishing a committee to review any proposed redevelopment of the site. The committee won't have leverage on issues that matter to neighbors, Barnes said.

"This committee can not reduce the 56-foot height, increase the setbacks or reduce the square footage approved by City Council," Barnes said. "There's no provision for mediation."

REDEVELOPMENT NEEDED

Larry Lazarus, a Phoenix zoning attorney representing the property owner, Dallas Police and Fire Pension Fund, told the City Council that removing the restrictive stipulations would attract new development, and that the request was backed by the Camelback East Village Planning Committee and the city Planning Commission.

During the public hearing process, Lazarus said that because of the desirability of the location, the owner intends to develop Class-A office buildings, the swankiest and most-expensive class of office space.

"It's their intent to redevelop this property," Lazarus said. "They want to know they'll have the ability to build a real commercial office (development)."

CONTENTIOUS CORNER

Steve Sanchez and other residents previously succeeded in halting redevelopment of the property in 2007, when developer Scott Schirmer proposed a mixed-use development of single-family homes, townhouses, condominiums, retail, restaurants and a hotel, with a maximum height of 98 feet. Neighborhood opposition was a factor when Schirmer withdrew the rezoning application.

This time, the Dallas Police and Fire Pension Fund sought to remove the height limitations previous owners and residential neighbors agreed to in 1966, 1974, 1979 and 1984.

Sanchez said the City Council's vote hurts Phoenix.

"It simply enriches an out-of-state pension fund, blocks out vistas and creates more traffic nightmares in an otherwise beautiful part of Phoenix," Sanchez said.

THE VOTE

Councilman Tom Simplot declared a conflict and did not vote. Mayor Phil Gordon voted to have the issue mediated. The remaining seven members supported the request.

Councilman Sal DiCiccio, who represents the area, said a majority of people who contacted his office favored the property owner's request.

"The project has no entitlements greater than the standard office building similarly zoned," DiCiccio said.

Councilwoman Peggy Neely said that during her three terms, the council reviewed several proposals for the property and the vote would allow a vibrant commercial corner to be redeveloped.

"It takes into consideration the character of the existing neighborhood and it has allowed the community as a whole to participate in the process from beginning to end, including the design phase," Neely said.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz19eLc4tJK
Im all for this slight increase and I often wonder, would we have so many NIMBYs fighting stuff like this if the City put more stipulations for quality buildings? If they forced the developer to put ground floor retail along C'back and 44th, increasing neighborhood shopping opportunities maybe people would be less adverse.

I wonder if people are more opposed to getting a shitty slightly taller office building versus a slightly taller building in general. :/

trigirdbers Dec 31, 2010 3:25 AM

Back in PHX

Back in town for vacation.

Drove into town on the 10 from Calli. Daaaaaamn, our skyline is looking good. I think Phoenix has finally reached critical mass, when the economy picks up again Phoenix is poised to blossom into a "real" city at last. Businesses downtown are in survival mode but all the owners I've met are scheming to get back on top and buisness is starting to move again - no waiting for the bloody stimulous money to magically work. Man, I love this place.

bwonger06 Dec 31, 2010 4:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trigirdbers (Post 5109626)
Back in town for vacation.

Drove into town on the 10 from Calli. Daaaaaamn, our skyline is looking good. I think Phoenix has finally reached critical mass, when the economy picks up again Phoenix is poised to blossom into a "real" city at last. Businesses downtown are in survival mode but all the owners I've met are scheming to get back on top and buisness is starting to move again - no waiting for the bloody stimulous money to magically work. Man, I love this place.

Meanwhile I am going to a real city tomorrow :burstbubble

Going to Chicago for the first time tomorrow. Probably going to be cold as a mother but will get to see how it compares to Phoenix. Be back Sunday so it will be a short but hopefully fun trip.

HX_Guy Dec 31, 2010 5:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwonger06 (Post 5109720)
Probably going to be cold as a mother but will get to see how it compares to Phoenix. Be back Sunday so it will be a short but hopefully fun trip.

Actually Chicago is warmer than Phoenix right now and tomorrow. :koko:

Currently it's 48 in Chicago and 41 in Phoenix.

Tomorrow's high for Chicago is 53 while Phoenix will be 50.
Saturday is a whole other story though...29 for the high in Chicago and 16 for the low, good luck with that. :D

davidmperre@gmail.co Dec 31, 2010 6:34 AM

Phoenix needs a good old studio aparmtent highrise. I relly wanna live in downtown phoenix, but in an affordable studio apartment

nickw252 Jan 2, 2011 12:33 AM

The Westin sign has been put up on the Freeport McMoRan building.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2582byc.jpg

davidmperre@gmail.co Jan 2, 2011 2:18 AM

What is the deal with downtown Phoenix!? (skyline & amusment park)

I'm going to just get straight to my point. Phoenix, Arizona has a rather short stretched out skyline that is..O-K. And for being the 5th biggest city in the U.S. And a poppulaion of well over 2 million, their skyline isnt keeping up. :shrug:

Now along with that, downtown phoenix has a HUGE number of empty lots. Phoenix should add more to their skyline by building affordable medieum wealth highrise apartments or studio apartments. Also building something to attract tourists and entertain people living in Phoenix like AN AMUSMENT PARK!!! :D :) :D :yes:

Phoenix really does need an amusment and/or water park. It would attract more tourists resulting in more buisness for hotels, car rentals, the airport, and public transportation! Imagine how awesome it would be to have a Amusment Park/Water park in downtown Phoenix! Theres a really big lot just south of downtown. It would also make the ASU students living downtown very happy imsure, and coming from a 15 year old trust me. Everyone would want to go to this park as long as it has decent thrill rides, rollercoasters, and a classic big old ferris wheel! :)

Needing a amusment park is just one problem, but as said before so is the skyline of Pheonix. Its a little bit under O-K right now, and i love this city i love it alot but i just think it could use more 30-50 storie buildings. Its sad how alot of beautiful projects have been cancelled, click here to see the cancelled ones. :(

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=74733

Phoenix needs to start building up instead of building out.
:yes:

gymratmanaz Jan 2, 2011 2:36 AM

Vicelord???

Vicelord John Jan 2, 2011 3:37 AM

Ever played Sim City? You dont put your zoo or amusement park downtown.

You're 15 so I'll try not to verbally abuse you.

plinko Jan 2, 2011 4:56 AM

So all that's missing is the London Eye? Why didn't I ever think of that?

Somebody needs to do a photoshop...