SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

PHXguyinOKC Nov 22, 2010 4:23 PM

there's a store in Guadalupe and has some delicious tamales and tortillas. i forget the name of it but it's on Priest Dr, well Avenida del Yaqui as it's called in Guadalupe

bwonger06 Nov 22, 2010 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5064941)
The only place i would trhst i forgou the name. Its on 55 ave and maryland. HUGE holiday business.

Any more info regarding location? (Is it North or South of grand ave?) Thanks

Vicelord John Nov 22, 2010 6:34 PM

They actually have a second location located on the NWC of 24/Indian School. The name is La Purisima, and its a panaderia, but in the winter time they do tamales by order and they are amazing. My family has been buying them since I was a little kid.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/FxEJj...32PRQotFvxtRyg

HX_Guy Nov 24, 2010 7:04 PM

Pita Jungle opens Saturday at 10:30 am!

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...n-phoenix.html

Vicelord John Nov 24, 2010 7:11 PM

Woo Wowo!!!

HX_Guy Nov 29, 2010 6:11 AM

Some great news out of AZCentral...

Quote:

Valley sausage business plans expansion
6 comments by Betty Reid - Nov. 29, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

A Valley sausage-making operation is building an empire in Phoenix.

Stanley's Homemade Sausage Co. is planning a $30 million venture that includes opening seven restaurants near Jackson and First streets in downtown Phoenix and adding about 200 jobs.

The restaurant complex will complement Stanley's retail store at 1712 W. Bell Road and deli at 2210 E. McDowell Road, both in Phoenix.

Stanley's customer base is growing, said Marko Stovanovic, the company's chief operations officer.

The weak economy created an opportunity for the company to expand, said Tim Colley, Stanley's chief financial officer. Now, it's the time to buy property and take advantage of low construction costs, he said.

When the restaurants open by December 2011, Stanley's business will grow from 7,000 square feet - the retail store and deli space combined - to 250,000 square feet.

The new business, to be housed in a cluster of historical buildings in the downtown area, will include a cooler and rooms for sausage, snack-food products, beef jerky, poultry, as well as a donation site where scraps will be collected for food banks.

Family business

Stovanovic, 36, is a third-generation sausage maker.

In the 1950s, his family emigrated from the former Yugoslavia to Chicago, where his grandfather and father operated a deli.

In 1989, during one of the family's vacation trips to Phoenix, Stovanovic's father bought Stanley's Sausage, then a struggling deli attached to a sausage-making center dating to 1963.

Today, Stanley's sells 76 meat products, including 46 types of sausages.

Stovanovic said the family opened the Bell Road retail store in 1997, when a large European community settled there.

His mother oversees the deli on McDowell Road, where his father still works, while his fiancee runs the Bell Road site.

Stanley's on McDowell Road makes fresh sausage daily.

The sausage is sold at the deli and delivered to the retail store.

Quote:

Phoenix expansion plans

- February: Stanley's Homemade Sausage Co. will open its corporate headquarters at 625 S. Fifth St. This site will house the company's sausage division and temporarily house the poultry division and snack-food divisions. Later, it will become a permanent home for the roast beef, corned beef and pastrami divisions.
- April: The poultry division will move into a building at 45 W. Buchanan St., where a 24/7 diner to be named Phx Fed will open. The sausage division will move to a building at 34 E. Jackson St. Stanley's will open another six restaurants during the year that will include rooftop dining.
- May: The snack-food division will move into a site at 515 E. Grant. This site will have the cold and freezer storage.
- December 2011: A meat-slicing division and Stanley's Care For Giving, non-profit division, will open. Stanley's sausage will employ 215 workers, up from 15 now at the two existing sites.
First off, I love this place and visit their Bell Rd location pretty frequently, they make the best headcheese ever. They also make awesome Mici (or Cevapi in Serbain).

I do find it a bit crazy that they are investing so much...$30 Million? Wow. And in so many buildings all over south downtown. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

HooverDam Nov 29, 2010 6:36 AM

^Wow thats crazy, I hope it happens. Good for them! Ive been to their McDowell location a few times and they do make a quality product indeed.

The 24/7 diner sounds great, it'll be nice to have 2 options for that sort of thing downtown (with the other at CityScape). I wonder if its location South down on Buchanan will be an issue? Thats pretty far off the beaten path for most folks. If JSED had happened it wouldn't have seem too bad I imagine, but as is thats not the prettiest walk.

E: Wow just realized the building on Buchanan was on the last Janes Walk. I forget who designed it (Haver and Nunn maybe? some locally important firm), its a pretty rad building. Its got some cool truss ceilings and the potential for an awesome glassed out front that would frame a really terrific view of Downtown.

This is exactly the sort of thing we need to see a lot more of.

HX_Guy Nov 29, 2010 6:47 AM

I agree that this is exactly what downtown needs and it seems slowly its getting there. Hopefully all these will happen as they will be a great addition of The Duce in the same general area as well as another company I toured a while back that was on Jackson in a restored warehouse.

I would have loved to see a Stanleys restaurant go into Luhrs...something needs to go in there!

HX_Guy Nov 29, 2010 7:04 AM

A recent interview with Jerry Colangelo on Downtown Phoenix...

http://www.azcentral.com/news/aztalk...colangelo.html

Vicelord John Nov 29, 2010 9:06 AM

Ill believe it when i see it.

Is cevapi those awesome sausage sandwiches?

dtnphx Nov 29, 2010 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 5073493)
...they make the best headcheese ever.

I may never read a post from you again and not think of that comment. :yuck:

HX_Guy Nov 29, 2010 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5073568)

Is cevapi those awesome sausage sandwiches?

They are the meat inside the sandwich...skinless sausages really. I'm actually having some tonight for dinner. :D

http://www.mehala.de/rezepte/rezepte...ci_600x450.jpg

Vicelord John Nov 29, 2010 4:41 PM

yeah yummmmmm those are good. I get them in the sandwich at Cafe Sarejvo every now and then.

As for headcheese, not my thing but there is a great sandwich at Lee's in Chandler that has it. It's a Vietnamese sandwich shop so probably different than what you are used to.

HX_Guy Nov 29, 2010 4:46 PM

Ha I've been to Cafe Sarajevo too. They are good there but are missing something in my opinion, I think they don't put enough garlic or something. Stanely's sells them raw (frozen) and you grill them yourself at home.

phoenixwillrise Nov 29, 2010 7:08 PM

Jerry C.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 5073523)
A recent interview with Jerry Colangelo on Downtown Phoenix...

http://www.azcentral.com/news/aztalk...colangelo.html

Thanks for that link. I agree with Jerry 100%, great article.

HX_Guy Nov 29, 2010 7:47 PM

There is another article written by a couple guys from the Phoenix Downtown Partnership with the same gist as Colangelo's. It seems that people are getting the point that we really need to focus on the streetscape now...now lets see it implemented.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...ix-vision.html

combusean Nov 30, 2010 3:22 PM

The new Pita Jungle freaking rocks. I haven't been to one in years, but I can see them quickly becoming a new favorite. It was pretty kicking Monday night at 7:00 with a lively crowd, but service was impeccably fast and the food was delicious. Service gets a 9.5/10, reading the directions helps with turning on the heater, but

We walked there, taking the patio in the back. The full bar window sits *very nicely* between the inside and patio which combined make a very un-Phoenix like place. I was instantly taken aback by the pleasant configuration of the cavernous interior. Outside is quiet for the most part--we were the only ones seated on the big patio but saw many people drive in. Good parking right off the patio was open during my two hours there.

To start off, it was $5 for what I think was 20oz of Devil's Ale. They could have had more warm drinks besides the tasty hot chocolate for the winter. Lola Coffee next door could hopefully match that for some real synergy if they stayed open later.

The tzatziki put me in food paralysis--that feeling you get when you first take a bite of something and it's so good all other senses shut off.

I kind of wondered at the better part of $8 for my companion's small pesto pizza with no meat but it too was a 10/10.

The beef gyro was some points lower, I seem to recall enjoying its selection of greens but was disappointed with the average quality meat and the small portion of the $3 upsell garlic potatoes which weren't that great but still wait in my fridge for the next day like everything else I took home.

The rice pudding was served cold and average on its own (maybe that's the point?), but it was definitely enlivened with the right amount of cinnamon and half the amount of fresh fruit they put on top.

Total bill was $36 before tip. For appetizer, main course, dessert, and beverage for two in such a kickass place, it's definitely worth it. As a quick dinner to go, it's a major, major reason to not hit the local fast food joints in the late evenings too.

Definitely a 9 out of 10.

Vicelord John Nov 30, 2010 3:27 PM

Hm. I like their gyro.

PHX31 Nov 30, 2010 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 5075200)
The beef gyro was some points lower, I seem to recall enjoying its selection of greens but was disappointed with the average quality meat and the small portion of the $3 upsell garlic potatoes which weren't that great but still wait in my fridge for the next day like everything else I took home.

Do you know if their gyro is from meat sliced off a spit, or if it is reheated sliver/chunks of meat? Off a spit is the only way to go.

dtnphx Nov 30, 2010 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 5074045)
There is another article written by a couple guys from the Phoenix Downtown Partnership with the same gist as Colangelo's. It seems that people are getting the point that we really need to focus on the streetscape now...now lets see it implemented.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...ix-vision.html

I read that article too. I think they are dead on in the need to create a vibrant streetscape which downtown sorely lacks. They also talked of the amazing amount of underutilized (vacant) lots and how we need to fill them. We've got the behemoth projects done, now let's get the small stuff (which is really the big stuff) taken care of. :whip: