SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Post Office Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192697)

Busy Bee Dec 4, 2014 3:07 PM

http://leblow.co.uk/wp-content/uploa...mery-Burns.jpg
_

sentinel Dec 4, 2014 3:16 PM

^So true

wierdaaron Dec 4, 2014 4:33 PM

It's great news that he finally wants to sell the thing, but it's crummy that he's trying to hold out for a huge profit. Sterling Bay is probably the best possible buyer for the building, and he turned down their $150M already. Anybody willing to pay more than that for it would have to be as crazy as Davies.

Ryanrule Dec 4, 2014 7:57 PM

There needs to be a use it or loose it law for assets of the wealthy. Great reward should involve great risk.

wmarczyk333 Jan 6, 2015 6:13 PM

Is the Old Chicago Main Post Office project dead? Because some web sites say that construction on phase 1 of 3 has begun.

SamInTheLoop Jan 6, 2015 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarczyk333 (Post 6865175)
Is the Old Chicago Main Post Office project dead? Because some web sites say that construction on phase 1 of 3 has begun.

If what you mean is the prospect of multiple new construction towers on land adjacent to the post office building, that was never - ever - EVER!! :hell: - NEVER!!!!! - a real project to begin with - that was the English (or is he Scottish?) schmuck who owns the site (or is the real schmuck Danny Solis, Ald-Dumbassville?) trying to increase the value of his asset for eventual resale.......nobody who fell for that 'project' can claim they were not properly warned of the scam, from the very beginning......

wmarczyk333 Jan 6, 2015 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 6865184)
If what you mean is the prospect of multiple new construction towers on land adjacent to the post office building, that was never - ever - EVER!! :hell: - NEVER!!!!! - a real project to begin with - that was the English (or is he Scottish?) schmuck who owns the site (or is the real schmuck Danny Solis, Ald-Dumbassville?) trying to increase the value of his asset for eventual resale.......nobody who fell for that 'project' can claim they were not properly warned of the scam, from the very beginning......

well , that's not good news, but I hope Chicago will get something going, someday, we are loosing to New York fast. Old post office project dead, the spire is gone, only Wanda Vista looks like for now it will be here in few years.

SamInTheLoop Jan 6, 2015 6:44 PM

^ This thread is for intelligent, sophisticated discussion. Weird supertall-obsessed fanboys (it's like one of those odd Asperger's interests or something), there may not be all that much here for you........now, let's get back to keeping it 'classy'.....

Steely Dan Jan 6, 2015 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarczyk333 (Post 6865203)
well, that's not good news

it's not good news.

it's not bad news.

it has never been news at all.

the fantasy of building 2,000' towers around the old post was just that: F-A-N-T-A-S-Y

we've already gone over this again and again. it was never "alive", so how can it now be "dead"?

Chi-Sky21 Jan 7, 2015 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarczyk333 (Post 6865203)
well , that's not good news, but I hope Chicago will get something going, someday, we are loosing to New York fast. Old post office project dead, the spire is gone, only Wanda Vista looks like for now it will be here in few years.

May i suggest in the future, please read the previous few pages of a thread. That will help mitigate the abuse you take from certain "classless" armchair bullies on this thread.

Zapatan Jan 7, 2015 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 6865208)
^ This thread is for intelligent, sophisticated discussion. Weird supertall-obsessed fanboys (it's like one of those odd Asperger's interests or something), there may not be all that much here for you........now, let's get back to keeping it 'classy'.....

Why is it bad he's obsessed with supertalls? This is a skyscraper forum the many times I've checked.

Supertall buildings are the reason Chicago's skyline is what it is.

Quote:

NY is a much bigger city than Chicago where there is much higher demand and less space for everything so that's no surprise. Aside from Wanda, Wolf point and the spire site (Related's plan) are the -potential- supertalls. Perhaps the Jeanne Gang project will go through but from what I've heard it's dead. But don't quote me on that.

Hope that helps.

The Pimp Jan 7, 2015 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 6866153)
Why is it bad he's obsessed with supertalls? This is a skyscraper forum the many times I've checked.

NY is a much bigger city than Chicago where there is much higher demand and less space for everything so that's no surprise. Aside from Wanda, Wolf point and the spire site (Related's plan) are the -potential- supertalls. Perhaps the Jeanne Gang project will go through but from what I've heard it's dead. But don't quote me on that.

Hope that helps.

OK... El Zap. You've opened the door. Tell us what you know. But let's continue the discussion on the Wanda thread.

SamInTheLoop Jan 7, 2015 6:07 PM

Quote:

It's not a supertall forum. There are these people that jump around from city to city just looking for these tallest buildings. We need a new prominent website for you guys (I mentioned recently there used to be one called World's Tallest that I followed when I was a kid and thought this was actually important stuff) that will siphon you superheight fanboys off so we can get back to business and keep the conversation at a certain level of sophistication. A simple wish for the New Year, I suppose!

SamInTheLoop Jan 7, 2015 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pimp (Post 6866207)
OK... El Zap. You've opened the door. Tell us what you know. But let's continue the discussion on the Wanda thread.

Do you really think he knows anything? Just a supertall fanboy passing through. Nothing of consequence here.....

Chi-Sky21 Jan 7, 2015 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 6866379)
It's not a supertall forum. There are these people that jump around from city to city just looking for these tallest buildings. We need a new prominent website for you guys (I mentioned recently there used to be one called World's Tallest that I followed when I was a kid and thought this was actually important stuff) that will siphon you superheight fanboys off so we can get back to business and keep the conversation at a certain level of sophistication. A simple wish for the New Year, I suppose!

It is an architecture forum which INCLUDES supertalls. If that is what interests a particular person who are you to pass judgement? Or now instead of just your constant whining about pomo are we supposed to suffer your opinions on those on the forum also?

jc5680 Jan 7, 2015 6:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 6866402)
It is an architecture forum which INCLUDES supertalls. If that is what interests a particular person who are you to pass judgement? Or now instead of just your constant whining about pomo are we supposed to suffer your opinions on those on the forum also?

Counter point, the person in question has littered the Chicago threads recently with little more than references to supertalls and the in-his-head only supertall arms race between cities. It is never well reasoned and entirely noise.

Also worth noting, if you are not a fan of particular commenters on this forum, you can always choose to hide their comments in your account settings.

ChiTownWonder Jan 7, 2015 6:44 PM

Quote:

Perhaps the Jeanne Gang project will go through but from what I've heard it's dead. But don't quote me on that.

What is the Jeanne Gang project? i only know of the Wanda Vista that she designed. is it the same?

Chi-Sky21 Jan 7, 2015 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 6866436)
Counter point, the person in question has littered the Chicago threads recently with little more than references to supertalls and the in-his-head only supertall arms race between cities. It is never well reasoned and entirely noise.

Also worth noting, if you are not a fan of particular commenters on this forum, you can always choose to hide their comments in your account settings.

Despite my dislike of some of certain peoples posts...OCCASIONALLY he has insightful opinions or comments. Besides, if one just chooses to see what he likes or wants to hear you will never learn anything. Much better to know as much as possible even if i do not agree. Then develop a more educated opinion myself later. But thanks for the handy tip, may need to look at what other options are in there now!

Ch.G, Ch.G Jan 8, 2015 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 6866436)

Yeah. I mean, in Sam's defense, those kinds of comments really debase the level of dialogue in the Chicago threads. Feel free to give an opinion/ask a question like that, but don't be surprised by a) a non-response (some people get really upset when no one indulges their easily Googled queries) or b) blowback, which also constitutes an opinion worthy of expression. Sam's wit can be a bit acerbic at times, but I choose to be more impressed than offended by how well he expresses it.

The Lurker Jan 10, 2015 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 6866379)

I agree. Perhaps we could open a speculation subsection as well and divert all the wet dreams from the likes of Onn there. Real information is what I come to skyscraperpage for

rothko Apr 30, 2015 1:27 AM

Can't say I particularly missed this project after its cancellation... Don't get me wrong; this location would be great for some sort of significant project, but supertalls in this area would seem out of place, and throw off the balance of the skyline.

r18tdi Apr 30, 2015 7:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rothko (Post 7009334)
Can't say I particularly missed this project after its cancellation

True.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rothko
Don't get me wrong; this location would be great for some sort of significant project

Also true.
Quote:

but supertalls in this area would seem out of place

Flase.
Quote:

and throw off the balance of the skyline.

Nonsense.

ChiTownWonder Apr 30, 2015 12:08 PM

it was just a vision really.

SamInTheLoop Apr 30, 2015 1:51 PM

^ Yes - there was no cancellation of anything here. Cancellation by definition means that there was an actual project (meaning the supposed new construction elements) to begin with......as we've discussed over and over again, that was never the case here.....

Zapatan Apr 30, 2015 2:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 7009811)
^ Yes - there was no cancellation of anything here. Cancellation by definition means that there was an actual project (meaning the supposed new construction elements) to begin with......as we've discussed over and over again, that was never the case here.....

True, but it would be a good place for some potential large tower someday.

jcchii Apr 30, 2015 3:34 PM

all the growth is north and west of there, unfortunately for them

LouisVanDerWright Apr 30, 2015 4:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcchii (Post 7009944)
all the growth is north and west of there, unfortunately for them

Exactly, this is why the Downtown Service zoning is so toxic. It's just like PMD zoning, irrationally suppressing the value of land for some kind of fairy tale ideal. Instead of dense mixed use development we have abandoned factories in the PMD. Instead of dense mixed us development we have big box retail in DS districts.

I think a large part of why the Post Office has taken so long to develop is that there is literally nothing South of there except parking lots full of delivery vans and some marginal big box retail. There's nothing of value on the other side of the Post Office worth developing towards. It's not like the wastelands that used to be Cabrini, or the near West Loop, or River North where you know that eventually that area is going to connect to an attractive residential neighborhood like West Loop or Lincoln Park. All you get if you go South of the Post Office is miles of DS garbage and then depressed neighborhoods on the South Side after that. DS zoning is a cancer on this city just like PMD's.

jcchii Apr 30, 2015 7:28 PM

yes

I would have typed all that if I weren't too lazy

LaSalle.St.Station May 1, 2015 12:02 AM

The major impediment is just the sheer size and scope of the project. This is what TIF districts were meant for.

Chi-Sky21 May 1, 2015 2:17 AM

Just turn it into a giant parking facility..it would stop all the traffic from the Ike from coming into the loop looking for parking! 8)

ardecila May 1, 2015 2:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7010031)
All you get if you go South of the Post Office is miles of DS garbage and then depressed neighborhoods on the South Side after that.

Except, you know, Pilsen, University Village, Bridgeport, and Chinatown. There's plenty to connect to, if the zoning were changed. I would not call them "depressed" just because they are not filled with white professionals. There's nothing wrong with genuinely middle-class neighborhoods.

I don't necessarily mind the DS zoning or even the concept of PMDs, just the inflexibility the city has shown in accommodating new growth through rezoning (witness The Maxwell, whose residential units were canned by city planners). Goose Island should probably remain a manufacturing zone, accommodating office and light industrial uses, research park, etc. The rest of the North Branch should be removed as a PMD; the infrastructure is buckling under all the heavy truck traffic. Let the market determine where large scrap metal and recycling operations should go (hint: it ain't on the edge of Lincoln Park).

LouisVanDerWright May 1, 2015 3:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7010825)
Except, you know, Pilsen, University Village, Bridgeport, and Chinatown. There's plenty to connect to, if the zoning were changed. I would not call them "depressed" just because they are not filled with white professionals. There's nothing wrong with genuinely middle-class neighborhoods.

That's fair, I always get disoriented as to what's next to what on the near south side because of all the viaducts and freeways. There's nothing depressed about University Village, Pilsen, Chinatown, etc...

Quote:

Let the market determine where large scrap metal and recycling operations should go (hint: it ain't on the edge of Lincoln Park).
So true, as cool as it is to drive through an active scrapyard and almost get picked up by a giant magnet crane on the way to the Trader Joe's parking garage, it really makes no sense at all.

ardecila May 1, 2015 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7011205)
That's fair, I always get disoriented as to what's next to what on the near south side because of all the viaducts and freeways. There's nothing depressed about University Village, Pilsen, Chinatown, etc...

Yeah, there are a lot of hard infrastructure barriers that aren't gonna go away. The Dan Ryan, the BNSF rail line at 15th, the river, etc.

There are actually a lot of good connections across those, though, and amazingly the Chinese community has been building housing in the middle of all this infrastructure on some very unlikely sites. The Canal St corridor is a super-walkable way to go from Chinatown to Bridgeport. The awesome buildings at Cermak and Jefferson are unfortunately another PMD, but they could make a super-dope ready-made loft neighborhood.

munchymunch Sep 16, 2015 12:22 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...oreUserAgent=1

Quote:

A Middle Eastern developer wants the next crack at the Old Main Post Office, a massive structure along the Chicago River that has stymied previous developers.

Gulf Resources Development & Investment, based in the United Arab Emirates, is working on a potential deal to buy the 2.7 million-square-foot West Loop building for about $150 million, according to people familiar with the deal.

Owner Bill Davies, a Liverpool native who now lives in Monaco, is expected to keep an ownership stake in the redevelopment of the building along Congress Parkway and the river if the deal is completed, according to sources.

LouisVanDerWright Sep 16, 2015 3:13 PM

Every time I see this thread bumped I go "Now what?"...

I doubt anything will come of this either with dumbass Davies at the helm. Stupid oil money does a lot of dumb things, but I doubt they'll be stupid enough to hand Davies $150 million for something he paid next to nothing for, especially considering the oil market right now.

I do hope it goes through, I just don't see it as likely. It would be nice to start garnering attention from the types of people who have been dumping money into NYC, London, Dubai, etc etc. That's a set of people who are largely ignorant of Chicago's existence.

wierdaaron Sep 16, 2015 3:27 PM

They probably showed him some flashy designs to turn the place into Dubai 2 with a bunch of mile-high towers shaped like Klingon sex toys. Ever since Sterling Bay dropped out I've abandoned hope for this project being anything good, and now I'd settle for anything less than a total embarrassment. If they don't use a local developer it's just going to end up about as well as the Spire.

Chicago_Forever Sep 19, 2015 9:22 PM

Well, that was quick...

At Old Main Post Office, another deal can't be delivered

A Middle Eastern developer's interest in buying and redeveloping the Old Main Post Office apparently has come and gone, the latest mirage for the art deco colossus that has sat empty for 19 years.

Gulf Resources Development & Investment, a company based in United Arab Emirates, was negotiating to buy the 2.7 million-square-foot structure for about $150 million, according to people familiar with the deal. But soon after Crain's reported that a potential sale was in the works, British owner Bill Davies killed the deal. He plans once again to launch his own development on the highly visible site along the Chicago River...

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...stumbles-again

wierdaaron Sep 19, 2015 9:49 PM

City's going to have to eminent domain this thing.

Randomguy34 Sep 20, 2015 3:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 7170012)

After they take hold of it, they should then sell it off to the person who's offering the best price and has been shown to have a good track record for big projects. At this point I just want anything that will be a shot in the arm for the area around the Post Office.

LaSalle.St.Station Sep 20, 2015 4:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 7170012)

Metra and or Amtrak would be a logical eminent domain driver for the base rail access but sell off above grade property to a serious developer.

Steely Dan Sep 24, 2015 10:29 PM

the city of chicago just grew a pair!

Quote:

Alderman to developer: Get serious about deals for old post office
John Byrne and Kim JanssenContact Reporters

Despite bold talk and a lot of wishful thinking, Chicago's old main post office has stood vacant for nearly two decades.

Now the city's patience may finally be wearing thin.

If the eccentric owner of the hulking 2.7 million-square-foot art deco behemoth, British developer Bill Davies, doesn't agree to a deal with a buyer soon, he'll lose the valuable zoning rights he won three years ago, Zoning Committee Chairman Ald. Daniel Solis, 25th, is threatening.

Solis introduced an ordinance Thursday that would strip the 12.6-acre site straddling West Congress Parkway of the mixed-use residential and business zoning Davies secured after buying the property for $24 million in 2009 and return it to a downtown service district.
full article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...924-story.html

Skyguy_7 Sep 24, 2015 11:50 PM

^ :)

There are new signs (1,000,000+ sq ft for lease..) posted on it as you cruise under on the Ike

wierdaaron Sep 25, 2015 12:45 AM

Usually when I decide to acquire a million square foot lease it's because I saw a sign from the highway.

Randomguy34 Sep 25, 2015 1:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 7176392)
^ :)

There are new signs (1,000,000+ sq ft for lease..) posted on it as you cruise under on the Ike

I'd be impressed if someone managed to get the sign's phone number down that fast while driving on the Ike

Skyguy_7 Sep 25, 2015 3:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 7176444)
Usually when I decide to acquire a million square foot lease it's because I saw a sign from the highway.

One would think Sterling Bay makes their west loop acquisitions that way. They own more properties than they can count. But I regards to the PO, something is better than nothing!

LouisVanDerWright Sep 25, 2015 3:30 AM

It's really about time the city start turning the screws. This is almost better news than all the big projects announced recently for the South Loop.

wierdaaron Sep 25, 2015 4:17 AM

Was this in the 2nd ward before the redo or was this always Solis's?

LouisVanDerWright Sep 25, 2015 1:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 7176713)
Was this in the 2nd ward before the redo or was this always Solis's?

I believe this site and large parts of the south loop were given to Solis as part of Operation Gerrymander Fioretti Out of Office.

brian_b Sep 25, 2015 1:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7176311)
the city of chicago just grew a pair!

...Threatened Downzoning...

What's the legality of that? Didn't the city do that with SoNo and lose in court, wasting millions of taxpayer dollars?

SamInTheLoop Sep 25, 2015 4:03 PM

Not sure when exactly Solis got this corner of the Loop (it was in his ward - or at least he had the zoning decision-making over it - a few years ago when the ridiculous pie-in-the-sky fantasy project got its PD approved.....which Solis got conned (or perhaps took a sizey contribution for??) into believing was necessary for something to happen with the post office itself (digress, but Solis is a demonstrably gullible type of fellow - he also let McCaffery blow a huge plume of smoke right up his clown hole with respect to the British School and contrapark). Of course though Davies is not a developer at all - it was never his intention to develop anything - it was his intention rather to - if he could - flip at an enormous profit. But the preposterousness of the PD gave Davies the severely misguided notion that he could receive (who really knows how high this multipe goes?) 2x, 3x, 5x etc the $ for the post office than what reasonable offers by competent capable developers with track record would actually offer. I was rightly critical of Solis 3-4 years ago when he backed this goofy PD (development that was never - and will never - in its current form - actually going to happen), and I'm steadfast in it today - Solis shares culpability in this post office saga. Well, at least it's he as well that has to try to clean up his own mess here.