SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Brightline Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198371)

electricron Jul 29, 2014 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6667384)
saw a AAF tv commercial..

Expect to see more ads because this train is privately owned and operated. They have to let everyone know they exist if they ever hope to have full trains and turn a profit.

When's the last time you saw a TriRail ad on TV?

eleven=11 Jul 29, 2014 10:26 PM

now All Aboard is on the radio

//www.wjno.com/media/play/don-robinson-pres-coo-all-aboard-25087362/

brickell Aug 5, 2014 1:09 PM

getting closer

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 6680199)
All Aboard Florida Closes Parking Lots To Prepare For Construction

http://i.imgur.com/BduKPWa.jpg

Quote:

Four parking lots in the heart of downtown Miami were closed last week by All Aboard Florida to prepare for construction of a $150 million rail terminal.

The lots had been managed by the Miami Parking Authority on behalf of All Aboard Florida and its parent company. Miami Parking Authority Chief Executive Officer Art Noriega confirmed that lots A, B C and D were closed at the end of last week at the request of All Aboard Florida. They had initially been planned to close on July 1, but AAF requested that the closure be delayed.

Noriega said that other garages and lots in the area will be able to accommodate the demand for parking in the area, although some motorists will have to walk an extra block or two.

Financing for construction of the rail terminal is in place. Prep work is expected to begin immediately, with an official groundbreaking ceremony in September.
====================================
August 4, 2014
http://www.exmiami.org/index.php/all...-construction/

eleven=11 Aug 8, 2014 10:03 PM

so each AAF train set holds 400 people
is there more info on the trains

electricron Aug 9, 2014 2:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6685183)
so each AAF train set holds 400 people
is there more info on the trains

Not any that I'm aware of yet. Usually, it takes a minimum of two years to get something new built, tested, and ready.

The only "used" diesel powered HSR train sets I'm aware of are:
(1) Siemens ICE TD. They come in 4 car sets but only seat 195 passengers - about half of the 400. They are rated for 125 max speeds.
(2) Intercity HST-125. The prototypes came with 2 power end cars with 7 Mk 3 coaches in-between. They are rated for 125 mph max speeds, but have been clocked over 140 mph on occasions. Mk3 coaches can have up to 80 second class seats per car, they would only need 5 of these to reach 400 seats. But, these aren't wheelchair friendly, to install a handicap restroom would require losing around 16 seats. Therefore, at 64 seats per car, 6 cars could have 384 seats with the 7th car getting the capacity over 400. Mk 3 coaches can be locomotive hauled as well, they don't have to come as a set. VIA's Renaissance cars are sisters to Mk3 and Mk4 British coaches.

I'm hoping they will be buying new railcars, so they will have to order them soon if they plan to start services by late 2016.

eleven=11 Aug 9, 2014 5:51 PM

I read somewhere that food and drinks would be served on the train.
something for all the Euro tourists......

bobdreamz Aug 9, 2014 6:15 PM

MIAMI | Photo: Site Work For $150M AAF Downtown Rail Terminal begins

Site Work For $150M All Aboard Florida Downtown Rail Terminal
By exMiami Staff on August 7, 2014

Spotted: the first activity at the site of All Aboard Florida’s $150 million rail terminal (see photo below).

The project is fully funded (at a 12% interest rate). An official groundbreaking is expected in September.

Surface parking lots on the 9-acre site in the heart of downtown were closed last week to allow for work to begin.

http://i.imgur.com/21icgsQ.jpg

http://www.exmiami.org/index.php/pho...rail-terminal/

Eightball Aug 9, 2014 6:18 PM

^^^Very cool.

No hope for a Naples/Ft. Myers spur? Just run it next to Alligator Alley. Would be incredible for SW FL!

N830MH Aug 10, 2014 4:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eightball (Post 6685778)
^^^Very cool.

No hope for a Naples/Ft. Myers spur? Just run it next to Alligator Alley. Would be incredible for SW FL!

It won't happens anytime soon. Only Tampa or Orlando.

eleven=11 Aug 10, 2014 6:01 AM

Love that photo with 2 guys and a pickup truck.

isn't AAF/fec railroad owned by a giant real estate company?
the news say because they borrowed money at 12%
is reason the AAF will never get built
don't developers borrow money all the time

Dale Aug 10, 2014 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6686172)

Maybe wait a few days before we pronounce it dead ?

Eightball Aug 10, 2014 6:27 PM

I'm no expert on financing, but the 12% is probably construction/bridge loan right? Once it's built they should be able to refinance it in to a lower rate I imagine. Otherwise that rate will kill them.

Nexis4Jersey Aug 10, 2014 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6686172)

Its one of the oldest Railways in the country...not a real estate company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_East_Coast_Railway

bobdreamz Aug 15, 2014 2:55 AM

5 cool amenities planned for All Aboard Florida trains

The $2.3 billion All Aboard Florida intercity passenger rail isn’t set to start rolling into Orlando until 2017 — but the company planning the project has some pretty cool ideas about what you’ll be able to get while on the train.

Mike Reininger and Don Robinson, executives with the Coral Gables-based firm, visited Orlando Business Journal on Aug. 8 to talk about the latest on the 240-mile route that will carry passengers to and from downtown Miami through Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach into Orlando International Airport. During the interview, they shared their thoughts about how this three-hour train ride isn’t just going to be focused on getting from point A to point B, but rather, the overall experience.

“Think European trains, not U.S. trains,” said Robinson, president and chief operating officer. “When people start riding it, we want them to get used to the convenience of it.”

The project’s second phase involves building a 40-mile track from All Aboard sister company Florida East Coast Industries Inc.’s existing freight rail line in Cocoa along State Road 528 to the airport. Construction is slated to start on that phase early next year, pending completion of an environmental study by the Federal Railroad Administration.

Meanwhile, All Aboard Florida has started work on its first phase, converting the existing freight rail line to passenger rail and three stations in South Florida, as reported by Emon Reiser from sister paper South Florida Business Journal.
And as we wait for those locations to shape up, here’s a look at some of the things Reininger and Robinson shared with OBJ set to make that three-hour ride more comfortable for travelers:

Dynamic WiFi: All Aboard Florida has invested into a beefed-up, high-bandwidth signal that it owns along the route, so passengers will have no problems doing work, playing games or listening to music during their ride.

Cafe car/bar car: During the three-hour ride, of course you might get hungry or thirsty, so you’ll have the option of visiting the dining car for a snack or the bar car for a drink with friends. All Aboard Florida also is looking into apps that would allow you to order your beverage or snack to be delivered to your seat on the train.

Seating configuration: Whether traveling with family, friends or alone on a business trip, riders can choose the type of seating configuration best suited for their party when booking tickets online. Each train will fit up to 400 passengers, and seats will be the same or larger than first-class airline seats. And you can check your luggage on the train, too.

Fully ADA-compliant: Along with wide aisles, the trains also will have level boarding with no steps, which will allow for wheelchairs, scooters and bikes to be able to wheel directly onto the train.

Pets: Though it hasn’t been finalized yet, All Aboard Florida is exploring the option of being able to bring pets on your trip. After all, no one likes leaving their furry family member behind.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/b....html?page=all

Jasonhouse Aug 16, 2014 9:11 PM

Quote:

Fully ADA-compliant: Along with wide aisles, the trains also will have level boarding with no steps, which will allow for wheelchairs, scooters and bikes to be able to wheel directly onto the train.

Pets: Though it hasn’t been finalized yet, All Aboard Florida is exploring the option of being able to bring pets on your trip. After all, no one likes leaving their furry family member behind.
Boost ridership and revenues.

Smart.

jd3189 Aug 17, 2014 4:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 6663149)
This is All Aboard Florida's West Palm Beach Station Design

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...19/ZnguRSQ.jpg
http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...23/59W2lwE.jpg

===================================
Monday, July 21, 2014
http://miami.curbed.com/archives/201...ion-design.php

Awesome. Might spur more development in WPB.

jamesinclair Aug 18, 2014 3:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdreamz (Post 6691717)
T

“Think European trains, not U.S. trains,” said Robinson, president and chief operating officer. “When people start riding it, we want them to get used to the convenience of it.”
Dynamic WiFi:
Cafe car/bar car:
Seating configuration:
Fully ADA-compliant:
Pets:
]

Um, Amtrak offers all of that except pets. Why do they have to bash things they dont know about?

Jasonhouse Aug 18, 2014 6:25 AM

^I've ridden Amtrak between Miami and Orlando, and I can assure you, all of those amenities are absolutely not offered. Really only the dining car is, and it's not like an Amtrak dining car is something to write home about.

The Silver Star still doesn't even offer wifi that last I knew.

eleven=11 Aug 18, 2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonhouse (Post 6695253)
^I've ridden Amtrak between Miami and Orlando, and I can assure you, all of those amenities are absolutely not offered. Really only the dining car is, and it's not like an Amtrak dining car is something to write home about.

The Silver Star still doesn't even offer wifi that last I knew.

who cares this isn't old 1980/1990 trains
this is new trains with Tourists and wealthy commuters
AAF could have Starbucks & Subway on the dining car.
but with few but nice/new stations I don't see a big need.
maybe beer/wine like a NFL game $8 beer

AAF is only going to have 4 total stations ALL brand new
with lots of stuff The Miami is a mini shopping mall next door
to a Giant new shopping mall

eleven=11 Aug 20, 2014 10:27 AM

anybody know what the Tri-rail Coastal Link is ?
its 44 million of State of Florida money to connect tri rail to downtown Miami
but needs to be done same time as AAF Miami station

eleven=11 Aug 23, 2014 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr jones (Post 5818717)
Proposed SFECC commuter rail with All Aboard Florida (yellow circles) and existing Tri-Rail:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...3at94335AM.png

http://www.sfeccstudy.com

i think tri-rail is fine the way it is
better with the new super MIA station.

AAF will be great with 4 new stations

my question is on the green line how many other
new stations are there?

eleven=11 Aug 24, 2014 4:22 AM

ok here goes it.
The sun-sentinel says Today that the tri-rail expansion is on.
tri-rail will pay FEC to use the newly expanded tracks.

Mr Downtown Aug 24, 2014 6:24 PM

I keep trying to figure out how this plan makes any business sense for FEC. Do they think building the rail station will get them larger FAR entitlements from Miami-Dade? I didn't think Miami was particularly restrictive about downtown development to begin with.

eleven=11 Aug 25, 2014 5:13 AM

anybody think rick scott is gonna screw this up ??
im voting for Charlie.......

seems like the people at AAF know what they are doing
building a really nice Miami station helps
pretty cool how the trains rise 50ft up

bobdreamz Aug 25, 2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6703458)
I keep trying to figure out how this plan makes any business sense for FEC. Do they think building the rail station will get them larger FAR entitlements from Miami-Dade? I didn't think Miami was particularly restrictive about downtown development to begin with.

The business sense is that FEC owns a lot of land around the planned stations including 9+ acres in the heart of downtown Miami which they plan to develop.

bobdreamz Aug 25, 2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6704054)
anybody think rick scott is gonna screw this up ??
im voting for Charlie.......

seems like the people at AAF know what they are doing
building a really nice Miami station helps
pretty cool how the trains rise 50ft up

How does Rick Scott factor into any of this? You have a private railroad company building on it's own land and not seeking any state funds for this project. Besides hopefully Scott should be toast after the November elections.

N830MH Aug 25, 2014 6:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdreamz (Post 6704130)
How does Rick Scott factor into any of this? You have a private railroad company building on it's own land and not seeking any state funds for this project. Besides hopefully Scott should be toast after the November elections.

Right! If he lose the election. Governor Crist will eventually to wins. You have to vote him. It's extremely important.

Vote Crist!

electricron Aug 26, 2014 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 6704590)
Right! If he lose the election. Governor Crist will eventually to wins. You have to vote him. It's extremely important.
Vote Crist!

This thread is turning into a political ad more than arguing for or against All Aboard Florida trains.

But, just taking this one step further along, what can Crist do to kill this project if he is lucky enough to get elected? Since the State of Florida isn't giving any funds to All Aboard Florida directly, what funds can he cut?

Those cities along the route are going to want the money for "Quiet Zones" whether or not All Aboard Florida trains ever run - because FEC freight trains will continue to do so.

Orlando's Airport will be expecting state matching funds for its new "intermodal Facility" just like Miami'a Airport has received this past decade. While it is true AAF start up of service has hasten that need for the facility, Orlando will still expect the same funds another city has received.

So I ask again, what funds can the future governor Crist kill without political consequences from Orlando citizens?

eleven=11 Aug 26, 2014 3:10 AM

I agree its just that politics in USA is so stupid.
and rick scott is king of stupid.

is there plans or links on the AAF Miami station
how they put 3 buildings on top of 2 levels of shoping
and the train tracks / also how where it connects to
Metro Rail

N830MH Aug 26, 2014 4:58 AM

Work Begins -- Finally!!! -- on Miami-to-Orlando fast train

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/08/2...-miami-to.html

Finally!! The construction just begun.

Quote:

Preliminary work has begun for construction of a $2.5 billion express passenger train between Miami and Orlando.

In preparation for the project, 35,000 linear feet of new steel rails have been laid on the ground alongside existing freight train tracks at two sites in Palm Beach County just west of North Dixie Highway in Boca Raton.
Let get to work. Let's go!!

bobdreamz Aug 26, 2014 8:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6705264)
I agree its just that politics in USA is so stupid.
and rick scott is king of stupid.

is there plans or links on the AAF Miami station
how they put 3 buildings on top of 2 levels of shoping
and the train tracks / also how where it connects to
Metro Rail

Yes AAF has agreed to connect with Metrorail across the street:

From Miami Today News :
All Aboard Florida unveils station details
Written by Lidia Dinkova on August 19, 2014

The site plan also indicates that a connection between All Aboard Florida’s station and the Metrorail is in the works. The connection is to be from the southern part of All Aboard Florida’s station and it will travel over Northwest Third Street, according to preliminary plans.

Miami-Dade Transit representatives sitting on the administrative committee reviewing station plans pushed for such a connection during past meetings with All Aboard Florida.

At the time, All Aboard representatives said the committee is overreaching by mandating the structure so early in the process.

The parties settled on “an elevated pedestrian” link between the future station and the Metrorail.

According to plans submitted to the county, the overpass is to run from All Aboard Florida’s mezzanine level or from its platform to Metrorail’s mezzanine level. A mezzanine is an intermediate floor between two main floors of a structure.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/2014/0...ation-details/

bobdreamz Aug 26, 2014 9:27 AM

Work begins finally on Miami to Orlando fast train

Work begins — finally — on Miami-to-Orlando fast train! :cheers:

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/...Fmo.St.56.jpeg
^ A view of the incomplete train lines at Yamato Road near North Dixie Highway in Boca Raton on Thursday, Aug. 21 2014. All Aboard Florida, has begun the upgraded of the new tracks in preparation for a forthcoming express passenger train service between Miami and Orlando. Executives in charge of the project say that this will be operating between Miami and West Palm Beach in 2016 and between West Palm Beach and Orlando 2017. DAVID SANTIAGO / EL NUEVO HERALD STAFF

BY ALFONSO CHARDY ACHARDY@ELNUEVOHERALD.COM

Preliminary work has begun for construction of a $2.5 billion express passenger train between Miami and Orlando.

In preparation for the project, 35,000 linear feet of new steel rails have been laid on the ground alongside existing freight train tracks at two sites in Palm Beach County just west of North Dixie Highway in Boca Raton.

Parking lots that for years were packed with vehicles next to the Miami-Dade County Hall building and Metrorail tracks in downtown Miami are now empty, closed for coming construction of the train’s Miami station.

The shuttered parking lots and the new steel rails mark the first physical work on the future service since the ambitious project was announced in March 2012.

All Aboard Florida, as the project is called, is expected to begin operations in two phases: first between Miami and West Palm Beach in 2016 and then between West Palm Beach and Orlando in 2017.

Once in service, the train will travel the 235 mile route between Miami and Orlando – with stops at Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach — at an average speed of 78.3 mph. The maximum speed will be 125 mph.

It is not a bullet train or high-speed rail like the Train á Grande Vitesse (TGV) in France that resembles a rocket on rails. But the All Aboard Florida train is, nevertheless, a fast train with new technology, said Mike Reininger, the project’s president and chief development officer.

In a recent interview at his Coral Gables office, Reininger said the company has selected the type of train it will run on the Miami-Orlando track, but wouldn’t reveal specifics.

“We can hint at it by saying that with certainty it is going to be a state-of-the-art train that will be the most technologically advanced train of its type,” Reininger said. “It will be made in the USA and it will have the newest and highest emission standards built into the technology of the train as well.”

Once the train starts running, it will be the first time since the 1960s that a passenger train will operate on tracks that run along the eastern shore of Florida — a route originally laid down by railroad pioneer Henry Flagler in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The Flagler railroad that stretched all the way to Key West eventually came to be known as Florida East Coast Railway (FEC), which now forms part of Florida East Coast Industries (FECI), the company developing All Aboard Florida.

The last time a regular passenger train operated on the rail tracks that run along Florida’s eastern shore was in 1968. The track remained in place, but it has since been used by cargo trains.

On May 29, 2010, Amtrak operated a special passenger train on those tracks between Miami and Jacksonville as a demonstration that passenger service could be revived. But it wasn’t until two years ago that FECI, the Coral Gables real estate and transportation company, announced All Aboard Florida.

“We are in the middle of a very important and exciting time,” Reininger said. “The focus is no longer on the planning, but has shifted to the execution.”

Originally slated for a 2014 debut, the service has been delayed by lengthy negotiations over right-of-way between Cocoa and Orlando. Those issues have been resolved, Reinger said.

The project has been plagued by controversy, including debate over whether Gov. Rick Scott’s administration is secretly assisting All Aboard Florida by funding infrastructure that will benefit the project. Critics cite $214 million in state money for construction of a transportation hub at Orlando International Airport — where All Aboard Florida will have a station — as evidence to support the claim.

“That’s not true at all,” said Reininger, who said the transport hub was planned before All Aboard Florida became a reality. “Long before there was such a thing as All Aboard Florida, there was a need for a long-term vision for the expansion of the Orlando International Airport.”

Concerns have also been raised about legislative approval earlier this year of $10 million for safety upgrades to railroad crossings known as quiet zones.

“All railroads are mandated by federal law to blow their horns as they approach intersections to warn the public of the oncoming train,” Reininger said. “The only way to alleviate the need to blow those horns by the railroads is by this process called quiet zones,” which incorporate safety measures at at-grade crossings.

Local municipalities must apply for the funds, which supplement a $60 million investment by All Aboard Florida at crossings between downtown Miami and downtown West Palm Beach, said Reininger. “We are working very closely with the Miami-Dade Metropolitan Planning Organization so the local governments can realize the benefit of quiet zones at the lowest possible cost, in the quickest possible time frame and the easiest possible process.”

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/...hm4.St.56.jpeg

^A view of the incomplete train lines at Yamato Road near North Dixie Highway in Boca Raton on Thursday, Aug. 21 2014. All Aboard Florida, has begun the upgraded of the new tracks in preparation for a forthcoming express passenger train service between Miami and Orlando. Executives in charge of the project say that this will be operating between Miami and West Palm Beach in 2016 and between West Palm Beach and Orlando 2017. DAVID SANTIAGO / EL NUEVO HERALD STAFF

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/08/2...#storylink=cpy

Mr Downtown Aug 26, 2014 1:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdreamz (Post 6704129)
The business sense is that FEC owns a lot of land around the planned stations including 9+ acres in the heart of downtown Miami which they plan to develop.

I understand that, but how exactly does the land become any more valuable for development with a train station in the middle than it is now? Can they build any higher? Do they think ultrarich Latin Americans will be more attracted to condos next to a train station than one next to the beach or in Coral Gables? Does it substantially change their position in the office leasing market if lawyers and accountants officed there can more easily make daytrips to Orlando?

orulz Aug 26, 2014 1:50 PM

Perhaps the local government is upzoning the property to allow for more intensive development?

bobdreamz Aug 26, 2014 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6705567)
I understand that, but how exactly does the land become any more valuable for development with a train station in the middle than it is now? Can they build any higher? Do they think ultrarich Latin Americans will be more attracted to condos next to a train station than one next to the beach or in Coral Gables? Does it substantially change their position in the office leasing market if lawyers and accountants officed there can more easily make daytrips to Orlando?

I really don't understand the following question from you ;" How exactly does the land become any more valuable for development with a train station in the middle than it is now?"
You have a major train station being built in the heart of downtown Miami & connected to Metrorail right across street.They plan to build several towers above the station including a 80 story office/hotel tower.

http://www.transitmiami.com/wp-conte...miCorridor.jpg

Any development is preferable to 9 acres of parking lots highlighted in red above. In addition look at all of the proposed projects such as the Convention center & hotel plus the huge Miami World Center project.

Another curious question from you is about "ultra rich Latin Americans" wanting to buy next to a train station". Do you think only wealthy Latin Americans are the ones buying condos in Miami?

A major new rail station in the heart of any major city is going to cause any land to become more valuable!

eleven=11 Aug 26, 2014 6:56 PM

it is the perfect location downtown.
that new shopping center is cool.
walking distance to the Miami Heat & concerts.

The AAF trains are nice / but add Tri-rail
when you add Tri-rail many more people will use it.
I like Tri-rail but am used to riding south out towards
the Metro-rail connecter and have been waiting for
the new MIA airport station.
but for a new generation of kids going downtown
will make much better sense.

ardecila Aug 26, 2014 7:01 PM

Quote:

It definitely adds value for hotels expecting tourists and retailers who crave foot traffic. The added value for office is more tenuous and it is virtually non-existent for residential.

waltlantz Aug 27, 2014 3:56 AM

Miami economy has larger kinks to work out as far as expecting huge jump in office space.

This seems very nicely designed, especially with potential Miami Beach Baylink linking up with the whole system.

Still, they will have to have the right balance of transit and parking access cause from what I understand the west side of the area is totally car city and nothing else, same with Miami-Dade south of Kendal. Unless of course Metrorail goes on another expansion kick or something.

Jasonhouse Aug 27, 2014 7:56 AM

Quote:

I understand that, but how exactly does the land become any more valuable for development with a train station in the middle than it is now?

Is this actually a serious question?

Like you seriously don't know the answer already, just from sheer common sense?

eleven=11 Aug 27, 2014 8:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltlantz (Post 6706894)
Miami economy has larger kinks to work out as far as expecting huge jump in office space.
This seems very nicely designed, especially with potential Miami Beach Baylink linking up with the whole system.
Still, they will have to have the right balance of transit and parking access cause from what I understand the west side of the area is totally car city and nothing else, same with Miami-Dade south of Kendal. Unless of course Metrorail goes on another expansion kick or something.

I disagree with everything you said except it being nicely designed.
the Miami economy has been so-so but is the capital of the world
even with LeBron gone. Miami airport has a state of the art car rental center.
about it being a car city have you been to Broward or Palm Beach County?
They don't have Metrorail or MetroMover.
Actually Fort Lauderdale is getting The Wave Train in 2017
Don't think the Miami Beach Baylink is gonna happen
but is a good idea

bobdreamz Aug 27, 2014 8:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonhouse (Post 6707066)
Is this actually a serious question?

Like you seriously don't know the answer already, just from sheer common sense?

Jason? I tried to refrain from insulting the poster on the premise of how having a "fixed" rail system automatically raises land values !
Maybe he is here to learn?

:shrug:

waltlantz Aug 28, 2014 7:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6707076)
I disagree with everything you said except it being nicely designed.
the Miami economy has been so-so but is the capital of the world
even with LeBron gone. Miami airport has a state of the art car rental center.
about it being a car city have you been to Broward or Palm Beach County?
They don't have Metrorail or MetroMover.
Actually Fort Lauderdale is getting The Wave Train in 2017
Don't think the Miami Beach Baylink is gonna happen
but is a good idea

Easy tiger, I'm just going by testimony I have heard by others about Miami Dade as well as pictures.

If you compare large US metro areas to their European or East Asian counterparts, then yes they are car cities. Miami with it's post war road focused infrastructure development is no different.

Also new question, would this new rail corridor be able to actually allow Tri/Rail or AAF to service PortMiami if Royal Caribbean goes through with that big ass development plan of theirs? Cause that would concievably drive a lot of buisness (IE traffic) to the port.

eleven=11 Aug 28, 2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltlantz (Post 6708770)
If you compare large US metro areas to their European or East Asian counterparts, then yes they are car cities. Miami with it's post war road focused infrastructure development is no different.

Also new question, would this new rail corridor be able to actually allow Tri/Rail or AAF to service PortMiami if Royal Caribbean goes through with that big ass development plan of theirs? Cause that would concievably drive a lot of buisness (IE traffic) to the port.

who thinks cars are going away , nobody ..
maybe less a little but not much , I jog/walk a lot
have to watch out for cars, 4-5 years ago a older lady hit me
while I was riding a bike, no injuries thou
BayLink or PortMiami are both good ideas
I thought Miami was going broke , who paid for that new port tunnel
or the new art & science museums and new park.
also the Marlins stadium and parking garages???

Jasonhouse Aug 29, 2014 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdreamz (Post 6707077)
Jason? I tried to refrain from insulting the poster on the premise of how having a "fixed" rail system automatically raises land values !
Maybe he is here to learn?

:shrug:

Look at his post history. He makes transit and development commentary all of the time.

Mr Downtown Sep 3, 2014 6:56 PM

The MetroMover has been there for decades. The new amenity, which FEC is having to build at its own expense, is intercity rail that only serves other cities in Florida. So I can see some European or South American tourist families who are making a combo winter trip to Orlando and Miami Beach going through the new station, and I can see Miami-based accountants, marketing professionals, etc., making a few annual daytrips to Tampa or Orlando from there. But none of that seems to add sufficient increment to the rental prices FEC can get for new square footage. If they can build just as many square feet without running the rail service, and the rail service doesn't allow them to charge more for the space . . . . what's the business rationale for providing such an expensive amenity?

Innsertnamehere Sep 4, 2014 2:31 AM

It brings other people to the neighbourhood, which boost amenities (shopping, etc.), which in turn boosts residential property values. A bit more complex than that, but its sort of the general route.

Jasonhouse Sep 4, 2014 6:16 AM

A given land area's capacity for development directly correlates to the capacity of the available transportation infrastructure. Further, a given site's commercial development potential directly correlates to the traffic passing by it. Logically, land value correlates to both.

Put something like a terminus of an intercity rail line adjacent to said land, and you have added both capacity and traffic.

Especially when you control all nodes of that intercity network, and can manipulate the network effect almost at will. (because FEC can give away tix if they see the transaction as a net positive for their bottom line.)

N830MH Sep 4, 2014 6:18 AM

How about Metrorail expansion? Will they consider it? Can we see more Metrorail service expansion?

eleven=11 Sep 4, 2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 6716300)
How about Metrorail expansion? Will they consider it? Can we see more Metrorail service expansion?

when do the new metrorail cars arrive ? soon I think....

good website for AAF news is - curbed Miami
it also links to exmiami.com
the article about the AAF downtown station has
very good pics/plans about the two levels of retail
and parking also the train platform level shows the 5 tracks.
the platform level is shared by AAF and TriRail.
also links to scribd.com show full size pics pdf

Mr Downtown Sep 4, 2014 2:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonhouse (Post 6716299)
Put something like a terminus of an intercity rail line adjacent to said land, and you have added both capacity and traffic.

But capacity isn't the limiting factor in US cities; demand is. FEC can build as much office and residential space as they can possibly lease right now, without a rail station.

As for traffic, remember that this is intercity rail. It won't bring any commuting workers to the site. A couple thousand folks arriving on the train platforms each day might support a Jamba Juice or a Starbucks, maybe a Hertz counter—but not any significant amount of retail.

Hotel uses are a little more related to an intercity station, but it's really hard to believe the South Florida hotel market would shift away from the beachfront. A 200-key Courtyard by Marriott might pencil out, but not one of the luxury flags.

I have to wonder if the whole AAF thing is just a Trojan horse so FEC can build a big grade-separated double- or triple-track connection to Port Miami for post-expansion Panama Canal containers without stirring up local opposition.