SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

combusean Feb 14, 2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8085265)
Either way a couple of 14/15 story towers around the Fillmore/3rd Ave area will drastically change the skyline West of Downtown. It appears we may be wrong about this phase of development ending anytime soon. More and more just keeps getting announced. Exciting!

Not to be a buzzkill, but 14 stories won't unfortunately make much of a dent in most approaches of the skyline.

The classic approach for me was always the HOV onramp to the 10 from the 202. For reference, the roof of the Ho is 208 feet.

https://goo.gl/maps/TN8zHWmXcEv

Fortunately, Colliers, Barrister, and Stewart will all add much needed bulk.

biggus diggus Feb 14, 2018 10:25 PM

14 stories should make a pretty noticeable increase in density, for reference Embassy is 11 stories tall and it's noticeable from around the area. Those little mid rise buildings add density more than almost anything.

combusean Feb 14, 2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8085866)
14 stories should make a pretty noticeable increase in density, for reference Embassy is 11 stories tall and it's noticeable from around the area. Those little mid rise buildings add density more than almost anything.

On foot or ... what?

biggus diggus Feb 14, 2018 10:44 PM

definitely on foot, but even from a distance. Add a few 14 story buildings to an area and it's noticeably dense from a distance.

combusean Feb 14, 2018 10:52 PM

Oh yeah.

I thought Ronnie was talking about the kind of postcard pictures I posted above when he mentioned the impact on the skyline.

Continuing the tradition of Buzz Kilington, these announcements should be taken with a grain of salt still--we're seeing a lot of stuff get proposed, but rising interest rates are going to clamp down on credit. There's also sooo much getting built at once I don't know how it can be absorbed at this rate, especially at the rents they charge and for the depth of the market which anyone should be skeptical about.

My big hope, like anyone else's, is for more high-rise product, but not for any skyline impact. These are buildings that could just as well be condos and chase different money.

I think anyone hoping to put up 4 stories of stick is too late to the party. Multi-acre proposals like the new ones above are going to need all the help they can get.

*fingers crossed*

biggus diggus Feb 14, 2018 10:59 PM

You're 100% correct, there have been many times in the past when proposals flew into city hall faster than you could shake a stick. Analysts are talking about a market correction coming fairly quickly which would halt any proposed developments almost immediately.

I'm not saying we are 2008 all over again but anyone who remembers the flurry of proposals back then that were never built should take the current crop with a grain of salt.

CrestedSaguaro Feb 14, 2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8085912)
Oh yeah.

I thought Ronnie was talking about the kind of postcard pictures I posted above when he mentioned the impact on the skyline.

Continuing the tradition of Buzz Kilington, these announcements should be taken with a grain of salt still--we're seeing a lot of stuff get proposed, but rising interest rates are going to clamp down on credit. There's also sooo much getting built at once I don't know how it can be absorbed at this rate, especially at the rents they charge and for the depth of the market which anyone should be skeptical about.

My big hope, like anyone else's, is for more high-rise product, but not for any skyline impact. These are buildings that could just as well be condos and chase different money.

I think anyone hoping to put up 4 stories of stick is too late to the party. Multi-acre proposals like the new ones above are going to need all the help they can get.

*fingers crossed*

Naw. Definitely not by car. Outside of it being dangerous, freeways are rarely the prime locations to see a skyline anyway. Yes, seeing a skyline for a brief second while your driving through a city is nice and all, but nowhere near what you get when you are actually in the core walking, biking or driving around on the local streets. Too me, Phoenix has very little in the way of views from the freeways and what views you can actually catch a decent glimpse of (I-10 East of Downtown, I-17 South of Downtown and Westbound I-10 just before the stack) are all too brief to really get any kind of satisfaction viewing Phoenix from a car. I can get a better view from Papago Park than I do along I-10.

Anyway, I dragged that on longer than I needed to. I do think a 14 story building can look bigger than it is if viewed from the right area. Just for reference, Portland 2 is 14 floors and I think it makes a pretty good impact from the Central bridge over Hance Park.

Will these make us look like LA? Of course not. But I think they will come into play to help give Phoenix that build up from short to tall look that I think it really needs.

combusean Feb 14, 2018 11:20 PM

The good thing is that there's more "there" there than there was back in 2008, so Downtown Phoenix isn't a hard sell anymore. It doesn't have to compete with Scottsdale like it did back then which has effectively fallen off the radar here. I'm not really aware of really anything going on in Scottsdale.

A lot of those condo proposals back then were put up by no-name investor groups with no high-rise experience and no financing pathways. That's different this time too.

I'd like to see more office development Downtown to beef up the fundamentals, but I'm fine with it suburban to Tempe. Downtown Phoenix is a much better neighborhood than, eg, Apache Boulevard, especially if you don't want a bunch of college students as neighbors in a hood that goes dark in summer and Christmas, unless that's changed too lately.

Classical in Phoenix Feb 15, 2018 12:42 AM

On the plus side, if we do see a downturn the ASU buildings will still get built.

ASUSunDevil Feb 15, 2018 3:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 8085160)
Wasn't it mentioned about Colliers earlier, a family oriented 30 story building?????

Need to see these renderings!

TAZ4ate0 Feb 15, 2018 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8085966)

Downtown Phoenix is a much better neighborhood than, eg, Apache Boulevard, especially if you don't want a bunch of college students as neighbors in a hood that goes dark in summer and Christmas, unless that's changed too lately.

Not really. This area, Apache Blvd, is my neighborhood and things still get pretty dead in the summer and during the holidays. It's livelier than it used to be, but not exactly a hotbed during the off-season....yet. Eventually, it will be considering all the new developments in the pipeline, and the addition of the street car likely will be the game changer.

muertecaza Feb 16, 2018 5:21 PM

Details on the former Golub office tower site at 200 W. Monroe from the City Council:

Quote:

200 W. Monroe St. is an entire city block ("Site") which is owned by 211 W. Monroe Holdings, LLC, an affiliate of Golub Real Estate Corporation ("Golub") out of Chicago, Illinois. In July of 2012, City Council authorized business terms for Golub to develop a high rise tower which would include approximately 350,000 square feet of office space...Unfortunately, due to the market and economic impacts of the recession on the office market for an office tower of this size, Golub has been unsuccessful in advancing the original plan.

Golub has been working with another Chicago development group, XSC 200 W. Monroe Acquisition, LLC, ("Developer") to acquire the site and development agreement. Golub has reached terms with the Developer to acquire the site and development rights to develop a dense, urban, mixed-use, high-rise development on the Site...In order to facilitate the development of the Site, staff recommends the following revised terms to be incorporated into an amended development agreement.
  • The project scope will be amended to be a two phase, mixed-use, high-rise project with two towers with approximately 600 residential units, 40,000 square feet of
    commercial space, 1,000 structured parking stalls, and associated streetscape improvements ("Project")
  • The Project will be developed in two phases with each phase consisting of an approximately 275-foot tower with Phase 1, 300 rental residential units, 650 structured parking stalls, and 20,000 square feet of commercial space. Phase 2, 300 rental residential units, 350 structured parking stalls, and 20,000 square feet of commercial space...

Also of note: the new developer appears to be an LLC affiliated with PMG, which is one of two developers involved in 111 W. 57th in New York, as well as many other high quality projects. Could be something good.

Classical in Phoenix Feb 16, 2018 6:07 PM

Too bad they are moving away from office.

ASU Diablo Feb 16, 2018 6:12 PM

Great news! I would've liked some additional height here...maybe with Phase 2 if demand is there. I also agree that would like to see more office space.

Phxguy Feb 16, 2018 6:25 PM

Awesome news! Although I also wish there we're additional height, this'll be great as I've always hated that parking lot and abandoned building. I wonder if, design-wise, they plan to make identical towers.

biggus diggus Feb 16, 2018 6:45 PM

The fact they are proposing reasonable heights is the one thing that makes this seem like a halfway serious idea. If they'd said "we're building two 500' office towers with retail, a health club, provisions for tube travel, and a food truck court" we'd all know it's in vain.

mdpx Feb 16, 2018 6:48 PM

Approximate floors for 275 FT tower?

muertecaza Feb 16, 2018 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8088358)
The fact they are proposing reasonable heights is the one thing that makes this seem like a halfway serious idea. If they'd said "we're building two 500' office towers with retail, a health club, provisions for tube travel, and a food truck court" we'd all know it's in vain.

:haha::haha: Then again, tube travel would be pretty sweet...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdpx (Post 8088363)
Approximate floors for 275 FT tower?

I think you can assume about 10 feet per floor on residential. With a slightly taller lobby, probably looking at ~25-27?

nickw252 Feb 16, 2018 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 8088367)
:haha::haha: Then again, tube travel would be pretty sweet...

I think you can assume about 10 feet per floor on residential. With a slightly taller lobby, probably looking at ~25-27?

The CTBUH height calculator pegs it at 24 floors for a residential building, and about 21 floors for a mixed-use building.

http://www.ctbuh.org/TallBuildings/H...B/Default.aspx

mdpx Feb 16, 2018 8:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 8088520)
The CTBUH height calculator pegs it at 24 floors for a residential building, and about 21 floors for a mixed-use building.

http://www.ctbuh.org/TallBuildings/H...B/Default.aspx

Not too shabby then.