SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

jtown,man Mar 25, 2020 1:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8872976)
Maybe we can let everyone who wants to risk their lives go outside after 2 weeks, while the rest of us watch and see what happens.

I would be fine with that. I am healthy. But my wife may lose her job so that's pretty freaking important to me. We need FACTS. That is all I am saying. I know this is fast-moving and we need to act immediately.

All I am saying is we need real data and to see how fast we can safely get back to normal or what segment of the population can continue as normal.

hauntedheadnc Mar 25, 2020 1:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xzmattzx (Post 8872879)
Do we ever get to a point where a state closes its borders? Would a state actually set up police and shut down an Interstate and check to see where drivers are going and why they are entering a state?

Individual counties here are starting to do that. Graham County, west of me, was the first.

maru2501 Mar 25, 2020 2:23 AM

I feel sorry for cities in red states

people who feel differently than their state govt should try to move

bnk Mar 25, 2020 2:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 8873048)
I feel sorry for cities in red states

people who feel differently than their state govt should try to move

I agree with you on that.

But PM TexasPlyer on that and see what his response to your offer would be.

lol

dubu Mar 25, 2020 2:34 AM

north america is a good place to be, there is food growing everywhere. billionairs will keep making thigs, like tesla is making cars still. things will be probably very advanced still. welcome to the future and the past at the same time?

subterranean Mar 25, 2020 2:46 AM

Boober Eats!

Quote:

https://www.oregonlive.com/resizer/Z...QIOMCJREEM.jpg
Portland strip club forced to close, so dancers now do delivery
Mar 22, 2020 at 12:00 PM by By Samantha Swindler | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Portland finds a way. Close down her strip clubs, and dancers will do delivery. That’s what’s happening at the Lucky Devil Lounge at 633 S.E.

Source: https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavir...-delivery.html

mhays Mar 25, 2020 2:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8872983)
I would be fine with that. I am healthy. But my wife may lose her job so that's pretty freaking important to me. We need FACTS. That is all I am saying. I know this is fast-moving and we need to act immediately.

All I am saying is we need real data and to see how fast we can safely get back to normal or what segment of the population can continue as normal.

You can have immediate "facts" that are wrong. Or you can accept actual facts that are correct.

Any projection of where COVID-19 is going is a guess--infection stats, treatments, cures, vaccine, etc. Much depends on how much the public follows the rules.

sopas ej Mar 25, 2020 3:18 AM

After ordering takeout for dinner and eating at home, my partner and I took an early-evening after-dinner walk in our town of South Pasadena. We both felt like we needed a walk/some exercise; he was working all day at home and felt cooped up, and I was at work, feeling a bit stressed, so after dinner, we took a stroll in a very sparsely trafficked South Pasadena. Yes, we practiced social distancing. It was very easy to, being that there were very few people out and about.

The lavender outside our back door. It's springtime and we've had a lot of rain, so the lavender has become bushy and full of flowers.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...96&oe=5EA1EFE3
Photo by me

Takeout and delivery only at the so-so Korean-owned Japanese restaurant in our town; there's a better Japanese restaurant in our town, and another Japanese place with really good sushi... but we noticed that the sushi place has been closed since dine-in eating at restaurants has been banned; we're hoping they don't go completely out of business.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...5a&oe=5EA1D504
Photo by me

No traffic during rush hour in South Pasadena's historic business district.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...22&oe=5EA0ED4B
Photo by me

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...9b&oe=5E9FC1CE
Photo by me

A lightly trafficked Fair Oaks Avenue in South Pasadena. Next door to Gus's BBQ is a cigar lounge; thank goodness the stinky ass cigar lounge was deemed a non-essential business, because that shit was CLOSED. It didn't stink of cigar smoke when we walked by it.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2b&oe=5E9F20CC
Photo by me

Stopped at Cookies & Cream for some ice cream. I'm very glad to be supporting South Pasadena small businesses during this COVID-19 pandemic.
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...26&oe=5EA04FF9
Photo by me

I got a scoop of ube and a scoop of cookies and cream. The proprietor also included a cookie. It was all delicious.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ee&oe=5E9E7B88
Photo by me

This is a pretty good place too, and we've also been supporting them during the pandemic, having ordered takeout 3 times from them already since dine-in eating at restaurants was banned.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...76&oe=5E9F3BB2
Photo by me

xzmattzx Mar 25, 2020 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 8872925)
Working age people are getting slammed here.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/trav...iO2B33UVtDvR7g

On the other hand, only 4 people 70 and older have it in your area.

Steely Dan Mar 25, 2020 4:51 AM

So what's the deal with weed and all this COVID-19 shit?

Apparently, recreational flower has become extremely hard to come by at Chicago dispensaries (I did not stock up. Stupid, stupid, stupid)

I EXCLUSIVELY vape flower.

Some say it might be protective?

mrnyc Mar 25, 2020 5:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8872970)
At what point do we stop staying home? 2 weeks? 2 months? When?

At some point we have to realize we are doing more damage destroying people's lives than we are doing good. And don't give me the "we have to save lives!" line. Of course, we do, but we also have over 30,000 people die a year from car wrecks. Are we doing everything possible to limit those deaths? NO. We are not. We still have fast roads. Why? Because the economy would be so fucked if the speed limit nationwide went to like 10 mph.

We need some hard data from South Korea to find out who exactly is the most at risk(we can guess, but yeah we need facts) and then after two weeks of lockdown the rest of us go back to our lives and the at-risk population stays inside.

EDIT: No, I don't think what we are doing now is stupid or unwarranted. I just want some hope. I have no heard one word from a credible source on when we can go back to normal. Just estimates...from people I don't trust(Trump or my friend on Facebook).

except we know what car wrecks are. we have 100yrs of data. we have very little idea about what this is. yr right, we have to get back to work at some point, but there is no way to say when as yet — slow yr roll!

mrnyc Mar 25, 2020 5:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8872773)
Pence is saying New York metro area has 60% of all new cases in the whole country and that people are leaving en masse. This is insane.

It was just some days ago I think somebody was posting on here that street activity and life was normal. It made me think maybe they were bypassing the crisis. How wrong I was.

i dk about en masse, but anecdotally all the young people in my building have gone home to their parents. its just the grownups and old timers.

its like the old days of ny now, all the rich are are gone to the hamptons or wherever and the young move ins were called home, so only the fixed income locals and crazies are around. i literally walked by a parked car full of hoodlums today getting high af and loudly casing all the meatpacking buildings they wanted to break into. ive seen a couple bashed in and taped up shop doors around already too. doesnt take long to go to hell. its very strange out there.

mhays Mar 25, 2020 5:45 AM

We should do way more to reduce car deaths. The only reason we haven't is that most voters drive, and we don't want to crack down on voters. Triple every ticket, take licenses and cars away as needed, jail for anyone driving without a license... Good point.

This is an important theme with logic: Suggesting something else is bad doesn't mean the first thing isn't also bad.

memph Mar 25, 2020 6:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8872970)
At what point do we stop staying home? 2 weeks? 2 months? When?

At some point we have to realize we are doing more damage destroying people's lives than we are doing good. And don't give me the "we have to save lives!" line. Of course, we do, but we also have over 30,000 people die a year from car wrecks. Are we doing everything possible to limit those deaths? NO. We are not. We still have fast roads. Why? Because the economy would be so fucked if the speed limit nationwide went to like 10 mph.

We need some hard data from South Korea to find out who exactly is the most at risk(we can guess, but yeah we need facts) and then after two weeks of lockdown the rest of us go back to our lives and the at-risk population stays inside.

EDIT: No, I don't think what we are doing now is stupid or unwarranted. I just want some hope. I have no heard one word from a credible source on when we can go back to normal. Just estimates...from people I don't trust(Trump or my friend on Facebook).

We're not talking about 30,000 people a year though. This could easily kill a million in the span of a week or two at the peak of the pandemic in the US alone if the spreading of the virus is allowed to go unchecked.

The data from South Korea seems to be pointing towards a death rate of about 2% among their population which is honestly pretty high, considering a lot of the people infected there were pretty young, their healthcare system was not over-extended, and they are probably healthier than Americans.

Anyways, so far it seems like young healthy people are at relatively low risk. It's important to remember that there are a lot of things that could cause one to be classified as unhealthy though, it's certainly more than people on life support. Cancer, diabetes, heart disease, lung disease/smoking, and being immunocompromised are all major risk factors. I suspect a rather big chunk of the working age population has at least one of those conditions.

It also seems like the risk for young healthy people to need enriched oxygen support or even ventilators due to pneumonia is not that low, it's just that if they are provided with that treatment, they have a much better chance of recovery than those in weaker health. So we still want to make sure our health system is not overwhelmed to make sure that they can be provided with those kinds of treatments, which is a very real concern.

The virus has the ability to spread very fast from the looks of it, so fast that it seems possible for over 50% of the population to be infected at the same time. If you have 5 million Americans needing critical care at the same time, and about 120,000 ICUs currently, with maybe around 40,000 unoccupied, and the ability to expand that to 150,000 ICUs dedicated to COVID patients thanks emergency mobilization measures , that's still far below what would be needed. So you'd still need significant measures to limit the spread.

And think what will be needed in most countries is a lockdown first, lasting maybe 6-8 weeks, to give the chance for the testing infrastructure to catch up and for our healthcare system to restock supplies and expand capacity. Then allow people - at least the lower risk people - to get back to work in greater numbers, while still taking significantly greater precautions to limit spread than under regular flu season, and also testing and contact tracing aggressively like South Korea is doing to make sure anyone that's infected is placed in full isolation until they recover. If we do that, I think we should be able to suppress the spreading down the levels our healthcare system can manage until a vaccine is found.

However, right now, I suspect the number of people walking around spreading the virus, not knowing they have it, is probably dangerously high and above what our current testing and contact tracing infrastructure can manage.

United States currently has about 55,000 confirmed cases.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's another 25,000 or so that are pending - they've been approved to be tested/tested, but we're still waiting for the analysis to come back.
Maybe another 100,000 have mild symptoms, and either haven't called the doctor, or aren't eligible for testing because their symptoms aren't severe enough.
Then there might be another 250,000 who are infected and will develop symptoms later, but haven't developed symptoms yet because they're still in the incubation phase.
And there might be another 250,000 who have it but will never develop symptoms.
So there could be half a million infected in the US that we don't even know about.

I think it's still possible to catch a lot of those asymptomatic people. If they gave the virus or got it from someone who has symptoms, then testing everyone that someone with symptoms has been in contact with could catch a lot of asymptomatic cases. And then you test all the contacts of the known asymptomatic cases... I'm also hoping that asymptomatic people are less infectious.

JManc Mar 25, 2020 6:19 AM

We are doing way more to reduce car deaths. My car has something like 7 or 8 airbags and driver assist technology. Plus all the crash testing; I have a much higher chance of walking away from a major accident than in a car from 15-20 years ago.

mrnyc Mar 25, 2020 6:50 AM

yes isn’t it interesting where 100yrs of living with cars gets us? just imagine where we will be after living with the corona for that long. right now we have a week or so of knowledge. and a little longer from drips of information china gives.

Pedestrian Mar 25, 2020 7:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8872894)
Upstaters on my Facebook feed are posting memes about how people from NYC/ Downstate should not head north and infect them.

A little too late, Upstate has almost a thousand cases already.

This made me smile (and I needed to smile):

Quote:

‘Stay on the mainland’: Tensions grow as affluent city dwellers fearing coronavirus retreat to second homes
By Antonia Noori Farzan
March 24, 2020 at 3:07 a.m. MST

Coastal New England usually belongs to contractors, caretakers and fishermen this time of year. Towns that will be packed by the Fourth of July are silent except for the sound of distant hammering from construction projects that have to be finished before the first summer visitors start trickling in, and anyone willing to brave the winds can count on having the beach to themselves.

But based on the number of out-of-state plates that have suddenly appeared in driveways and grocery store parking lots from Watch Hill, R.I., to Old Orchard Beach, Maine, you’d think that Memorial Day weekend was right around the corner.

In recent weeks, wealthy city dwellers hoping to escape the novel coronavirus have been fleeing to their second homes, exacerbating long-standing tensions between locals and summer residents. While those from out of town feel they have the right to use property they own and pay taxes on, year-round residents worry the new arrivals could be carrying the disease, and local hospitals aren’t equipped to handle an outbreak.

Last week, Facebook groups intended to connect Cape Cod residents devolved into embittered name-calling and demands to close the bridges to the mainland. Police in Block Island, R.I., reported receiving credible tips about residents threatening to destroy the island’s power transformers to discourage visitors. North Haven, a small island off the coast of Maine, voted to ban its own part-time residents . . . .
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-second-homes/

jtown,man Mar 25, 2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8873092)
You can have immediate "facts" that are wrong. Or you can accept actual facts that are correct.

Any projection of where COVID-19 is going is a guess--infection stats, treatments, cures, vaccine, etc. Much depends on how much the public follows the rules.

So, when do we decide what facts are correct? Do we need a 6-month trend? Can we look at South Korean data, or does it need to be from the US?

jtown,man Mar 25, 2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8873211)
except we know what car wrecks are. we have 100yrs of data. we have very little idea about what this is. yr right, we have to get back to work at some point, but there is no way to say when as yet — slow yr roll!

I get that, but a hell of a lot of people won't be going back to work. We have to weigh our options as we do in a million other things all the time.

jtown,man Mar 25, 2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8873231)
We should do way more to reduce car deaths. The only reason we haven't is that most voters drive, and we don't want to crack down on voters. Triple every ticket, take licenses and cars away as needed, jail for anyone driving without a license... Good point.

This is an important theme with logic: Suggesting something else is bad doesn't mean the first thing isn't also bad.

Yes, most voters are drivers. Most voters are also eaters...and have homes...and have jobs. So they will do what they have to do to survive.

How many people on this website have cushy office jobs that are now working from home? Government?

How many of yall are either out of work because of this or sitting at home not getting paid or sitting at home getting paid but not knowing how long that will last?

I personally know two people that have lost their jobs and one person who is sitting at home wondering when their savings are gonna run out. I know zero people with Corona.

Early for me to make a statement on Corona? Sure. But if its early to state I know no one with Corona, then imagine what those numbers will look like in 2 months with people I know and jobs.