SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

iheartthed Mar 21, 2020 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8868829)
well, to absolutely no one's surprise i'm sure, i'm listening to Pandora's Steely Dan station, as i have been all week.

it beats the snot out of the contemporary rock station we listen to all day everyday at the office (WXRT for chicago people).

That's one of my Pandora stations, so I hear "Beginnings" and "Snowbound" a lot. But yeah, I guess it is kind of eerie now.

iheartthed Mar 21, 2020 8:09 PM

Speaking of cops...

Quote:

152 Detroit cops in coronavirus quarantine, 5 test positive

The Detroit Police Department is working the streets with 157 fewer cops as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.

The department said 152 of those officers have been quarantined due to the virus. Another five have tested positive. One civilian member of the department has also tested positive.

"I've not seen anything like this," Detroit Police Chief James Craig told a news conference Friday, according to news radio station WWJ-AM.

"It's certainly a cause for concern,” he said, adding that at this point our services will not change."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/detroit-c...rus-quarantine

cabotp Mar 21, 2020 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 8869485)
I don't understand why it's so difficult for some people to realize the measures being taken now are to limit/minimize the strain on our hospitals and healthcare workers. Hell, there's a couple of doctors on this forum who've been saying basically the same thing about how we're not equipped to handle this at the present time.

I didn't realize how unprepared we were in Flagstaff until my gf, who works at the local hospital, informed me that they only have a couple of isolation rooms and maybe 15 ventilators for a town of 70,000. Mind you, FMC is a level one trauma center that also serves a huge rural community. Phoenix is 142 miles away. Vegas and Albuquerque are both over 250 miles away.

Long story short, there are trolls here who just enjoy pissing everyone else off. There's also people here who think that their lives are more important than everyone else's.

The sad part is more people are going to die simply because some people think they and their rights are more important.

bilbao58 Mar 21, 2020 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8869375)
San Francisco in a time of epidemic is like San Francisco any other time:

I saw a video of someone in Tehran taking out the garbage while wearing the same dino suit. :)

Pedestrian Mar 21, 2020 9:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilbao58 (Post 8869580)
I saw a video of someone in Tehran taking out the garbage while wearing the same dino suit. :)

Maybe a woman--it covers you up better than a burkha. ;)

10023 Mar 21, 2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabotp (Post 8869436)
How would you feel if you gave the virus to your parents and they ended up dying?

You may think that the government is trying to restrict your rights. But what you don't understand is they are simply just trying to protect everyone.

It’s Mother’s Day in England tomorrow. I was meant to go visit my mother. I’m not going to.

That is the appropriate course of action. People go in with their lives and avoid elderly relatives, not until there is a vaccine but until there is widespread testing.

Yuri Mar 21, 2020 11:54 PM

Things evolved very quickly since Monday here in São Paulo, from just the dominant talk subject to run to the supermarkets by Wednesday.

The first death in the city (and country) were registered on Monday and now there already 15 deaths confirmed.

People are very alarmed, the city is already shutting down.

JoninATX Mar 21, 2020 11:54 PM

Here in Las Vegas. Half the city unemployed including me. So best way to handle this situation is to relax, distance yourself from people and open a can of beer. Cheers!

chris08876 Mar 22, 2020 12:29 AM

For NJ Folks:

https://covid19.nj.gov/

The site was plastered on electronic billboards today.

I went to a few parks with the gf today, and I can tell you this, people DID NOT practice social distancing. Also, big Jewish population in Highland Park NJ, and same thing, no social distancing among those folks. I hear it was also a problem in Brooklyn. Weddings and Bar mitzvah contributing to a large spread.

This is just an observation, especially with Highland Park folks per my visit today.

Pedestrian Mar 22, 2020 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoninATX (Post 8869691)
Here in Las Vegas. Half the city unemployed including me. So best way to handle this situation is to relax, distance yourself from people and open a can of beer. Cheers!

Please make it Corona.

JoninATX Mar 22, 2020 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8869713)
Please make it Corona.

You got it! :cheers:

chris08876 Mar 22, 2020 12:48 AM

Saturday night... let me repeat... Saturday night... with the lights, and somewhat warm weather in Times Square...!!!! :runaway:

https://static.earthcam.com/hof/newy...6238427_11.jpg

Normally you can't move without bumping into somebody, and traffic up the wazoo.

The Spanish Steps, normally packed, closed. Saturday nights are usually a nightmare at night from a density standpoint.

https://static.earthcam.com/hof/newy...4260432_28.jpg

KevinFromTexas Mar 22, 2020 1:38 AM

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...tDF1jsVgbNGhew
Quote:

As unemployment soars in the Austin metro, city officials scramble to create local coronavirus relief programs

By Christopher Neely | 5:55 PM Mar. 20, 2020 CDT | Updated 6:08 PM Mar. 20, 2020 CDT

Between March 1 and March 18, 11,851 unemployment claims were filed in the five-county Austin-Round Rock Metropolitan Area, a 460% increase over the same time period in 2019, according to the Texas Workforce Commission.

The rapid spread of the coronavirus, and social distancing measures implemented by federal, state and local governments to mitigate that spread, have struck a significant blow to the country’s economy. Locally, the March 6 decision by Mayor Steve Adler to shut down South by Southwest Conferences and Festivals, and the follow up March 17 decree to limit gatherings of more than 10 people and prohibit dine-in service at all restaurants and bars have forced small businesses and laborers into a struggle unforeseen only weeks ago.

mrnyc Mar 22, 2020 1:58 AM

sephora in the meatpacking preps for inevitable social unrest.

cleans out the shop, boards it up, then quickly paints it over.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/...pscuskhjc4.jpg

chris08876 Mar 22, 2020 2:20 AM

Folks need to be careful. I heard something that some folks are out pretending to give covid test kits to houses, and than robbing them. A sort of aggravated house or home robbery.

Some folks are also stealing deliveries or food left on steps of folks homes.

The North One Mar 22, 2020 2:20 AM

^ What the hell? Literally boarding up shit in Manhattan??? It's really gotten that bad in New York?

Your post is the first I'm hearing about this.

KevinFromTexas Mar 22, 2020 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8869784)
^ What the hell? Literally boarding up shit in Manhattan??? It's really gotten that bad in New York?

They boarded up all the bars on 6th Street in Austin, our entertainment strip in downtown. There hasn't been anything to warrant it, but they're just playing it safe not wanting looters to come for the booze.

chris08876 Mar 22, 2020 2:24 AM

Its also an interesting point to note that cops might or have been infected. More cops that get infected or put out of commission, the enforcement will lack.

And there will be folks that will take advantage of it. If its religious nut jobs claiming Silver Solution can cure this or if its the local mailman, some element of crime will seep into this whole mess the longer this drags on.

The govt better not drop the ball on unemployment income, because minute the money runs out, especially for paycheck-to-paycheck folks, bad things might happen.

chris08876 Mar 22, 2020 2:36 AM

There is an online toilet paper calculator: Howmuchtoiletpaper.com

I quote "The simple calculator for how much toilet paper you need to survive the pandemic".

Essentially how long your current supply will last during your quarantine.

Lol click on the advance options... :haha:

It actually factors in "Average number of wipes per trip".

mrnyc Mar 22, 2020 2:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8869784)

does that look like photoshop?! ugh.

thats from this morning — i actually saw them them boarding it yesterday, but wasnt sure exactly what they were doing until today.

so yeah i was as unnerved as you are shocked.

i can say they do this in ny for hurricanes, but this caught me off guard.

and i cant speak for all of manhattan of course, im stuck in my nabe.

but — i plan to go for a jog uptown early manana, so ill see what i see and take some pics if anything.

a boarded up town would be the most depressing thing i can imagine to find!