SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 850 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

Cheap_Shot Dec 10, 2019 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8771858)
The only time anything remotely similar to this has happened is when the Morrison Hotel came down for Chase Tower...

This site says that the Morrison Hotel was the 3rd tallest building to ever be voluntarily demolished. I can't comment to how accurate the list is, but interesting nonetheless.

https://www.constructionjunkie.com/b...ily-demolished

SamInTheLoop Dec 10, 2019 7:53 PM

As Steely mentions, the Apparel Center coming down would very likely be a long time off. They've put a lot of money into the building, and my assumption is it's well-leased and a decent-performing asset. Likely will go nowhere for decades.

Also, I continue to not understand the slightest disappointment with this tower. I suppose it's just height fanboys living in a constant state of make-believe land? I don't get what else it could be. It's a beautifully designed tower, and if executed as well as the fantastic WPE (highly likely it will be), will be an excellent addition (and yes - an excellent addition in this specific location).

jc5680 Dec 10, 2019 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 8771903)

Also, I continue to not understand the slightest disappointment with this tower. I suppose it's just height fanboys living in a constant state of make-believe land? I don't get what else it could be. It's a beautifully designed tower, and if executed as well as the fantastic WPE (highly likely it will be), will be an excellent addition (and yes - an excellent addition in this specific location).

Definitely the curse of a proposal that dared to ever suggest it would be above 1000ft. Lots of comments from the usual suspects with a more myopic height obsession

aaron38 Dec 10, 2019 10:11 PM

I actually like the 700-800 ft. wall that is being created from WPS down to 110 N Wacker. It's solid and imposing. Who needs spindly height when you've got brutal force?

Zapatan Dec 10, 2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 8772116)
I actually like the 700-800 ft. wall that is being created from WPS down to 110 N Wacker. It's solid and imposing. Who needs spindly height when you've got brutal force?

I agree to a certain extent, and it beats empty lots obviously, but this was an epic location for a building that was noticeably tall by Chicago standards.

Quote:

anything is possible, but when was the last time 1.8M SF of perfectly serviceable large floorplate office space in reasonably good shape electively demolished to make way for an even larger/taller development in chicago?

i can't think of any such examples off the top of my head.

the inertia of buildings as large as the apparel center tends to keep them in place for the long haul.
Thompson center? Definitely not 1.8 MSF but still a massive/well known building, although it's just speculation as of now supposedly.

Steely Dan Dec 10, 2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8772122)
Thompson center?

i don't think anyone would describe the thompson center as "x SF of perfectly serviceable large floorplate office space in reasonably good shape".

the thompson center is a building with a long sordid history of issues compounded by a mountain of deferred maintenance. the apparel center is not.

and most importantly, the thompson center hasn't been torn down yet. it's destiny is yet to be written.

MorganChi Dec 10, 2019 11:04 PM

Quote:

I can see you settle for anything

JK47 Dec 11, 2019 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 8771903)
It's a beautifully designed tower

It's fine and looks like a well executed design but it's more along the lines of competent or professionally executed. The design isn't really very distinctive and it isn't really doing anything that hasn't been done before, or even recently, along the river. There's nothing particularly distinctive about it or unique which is the problem.

There were two choices here, you could go big which would compensate for a lack of architectural flair or you could go smaller but try harder with design. This however does neither which, given its prime location, is a disappointment.

A prime site like this demanded a centerpiece...something bold...and instead we get something nice but just a tad boring.

Skyguy_7 Dec 11, 2019 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpireGuy (Post 8771727)
Agreed 100%. At the very least I'd like to see gold shiny fins instead of the white ones. Give it some variation from WPE.

Great idea. Better yet, I’d like to see black fins to contrast even more sharply with WPE and it would interact well with Sears Tower. The black and blue combo looks excellent on the new 333 N Green building.

Please give it some thought, Pelli! (I see they might have been listening with regard to our preference for the squared vs rounded columns at the base, in Goettsch’a 110 N Wacker thread)

aaron38 Dec 11, 2019 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorganChi (Post 8772178)
I can see you settle for anything

You think these 4 office towers is "settling"? Settling would be 4 15 story buildings, because that's all you're entitled to, unless you're building them yourself.

BVictor1 Dec 11, 2019 1:00 AM

Quote:

It's monotonous and boring to a point and height would bring a nice visual vertical variation to the supposed 'brutal force'.

harryc Dec 11, 2019 1:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK47 (Post 8772238)

A prime site like this demanded a centerpiece...something bold...and instead we get something nice but just a tad boring.

I was hoping for something in the same league as the Spire.

Part of the economics may be that with such a prime site a solid tower is all you need.

HomrQT Dec 11, 2019 3:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK47 (Post 8772238)
It's fine and looks like a well executed design but it's more along the lines of competent or professionally executed. The design isn't really very distinctive and it isn't really doing anything that hasn't been done before, or even recently, along the river. There's nothing particularly distinctive about it or unique which is the problem.

There were two choices here, you could go big which would compensate for a lack of architectural flair or you could go smaller but try harder with design. This however does neither which, given its prime location, is a disappointment.

Very well said. The least they could have done was accentuate the reference to art deco a little more.

shakman Dec 11, 2019 3:28 AM

Looks fine to me.

KWillChicago Dec 11, 2019 3:36 AM

If they would have just kept the spire it would have definitely put an explamation point on wolf point.

Zapatan Dec 11, 2019 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8772125)
i don't think anyone would describe the thompson center as "x SF of perfectly serviceable large floorplate office space in reasonably good shape".

the thompson center is a building with a long sordid history of issues compounded by a mountain of deferred maintenance. the apparel center is not.

and most importantly, the thompson center hasn't been torn down yet. it's destiny is yet to be written.

Didn't realize it was that bad considering it was only built in the 80's. It's still quite a building to tear down and make way for a new one though, but yea as I said that's undecided if/when that'll happen.

PittsburghPA Jan 1, 2020 8:49 PM

A friend of mine told me yesterday his company was awarded the contract as one of the subs on WPS. Apparently construction should start "any day now"...Let's keep a close eye on the site and see if he is right. Apparently all of the WPE trailers have been removed from the site.

KWillChicago Jan 1, 2020 9:49 PM

If that turns out to be true what a great new years present

LouisVanDerWright Jan 2, 2020 5:52 AM

We did hear Q1 2020 and it makes sense that this would wind up now that WPE is wrapping exterior work. They have the room to deploy next door now.

Happy New Year's indeed!

:cheers:

kolchak Jan 2, 2020 4:17 PM

Fingers crossed. Imo this is the most important project to get in this cycle. With WPE and WPW built, that gap is very noticeable.

I imagine we will have barges for this one?